• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Addnan

quIMKCG.png

UFF0eYm.png

AZ7Fwnx.png

p3eIFlm.png

Sjip1pd.png

Fbvby9j.png

CevetsY.png

ultewRk.png

nzsWH3q.png

lJY3NQc.png

OAeFus0.png

JfvctW3.png

59M4acW.png

JrwjZ8W.png

7OPsyic.png

jEGzCUa.png

WdjIbwY.png

DBsyKY9.png

bVZ7hLj.png

xkZaI7b.png

fCfs9O4.png

MWlj4fT.png

K3E6vu3.png

49rrCh2.png

Zwgo9td.png

W15MSlc.png

TKPvuHp.png

neA5x6y.png

Zrn2PRJ.png

cuvSSz8.png

D4Bacg7.png

fbpuDk2.png

XjnQeiQ.png

New power units
For the first time since 1988 turbo engines will be used as part of the energy recovery system (ERS). The new engines have stronger acceleration, and sound different to the 2.4 litre V8s used previously. They are now using 1.6l V6 engines. Horsepower is down from 750 to 600 and the RPM limit falls from 18,000 to 15,000

Engine recovery system
This is now delivered to the rear wheels via the throttle, rather than being activated by a button. An ERS problem will have a bigger effect on the car's performance

Tyres
Pirelli are providing harder compound tyres, and teams will have an extra set of prime tyres available for each race weekend. The cars have less downforce, though

Overall shape
Safety regulations and changes to the aerodynamics of the cars have resulted in lower noses – hence the anteater description – while wings are also narrower

Minimum weight
This has increased to 690kg without the 100kg of fuel, a 48kg difference from last year. There are fears this will not make up for the heavier engines so will benefit smaller drivers

Exhaust
There will now be a single, central exhaust tailpipe, preventing teams from diverting hot gases into the diffuser to gain downforce

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/28/new-rules-change-f1-cars-2014

Chris R

Can't wait for Saturday night!!! Japan was the first F1 race I watched back when I first got into the sport (mostly because it was live at 10PM Saturday and not at 4AM on Sunday).

Hoping for an exciting stretch run to the final bullshit double point race!

TCRS

Banned
goddamnit. what a way to start a new thread.

Alonso and Ferrari were supposed to be a marriage made in heaven. God it would have been so great to see a fiery driver like Alonso win a title with Ferrari. I loved Schumacher but he was a cold clean jaw of a terminator.

so fucking sad. ;_;

Chris R

Wait, the weekend race schedule might change because of the typhoon? Are they going to just bump everything up a day and have qualifying the morning before the race?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wait, the weekend race schedule might change because of the typhoon? Are they going to just bump everything up a day and have qualifying the morning before the race?

They will decide on Friday, when typhoon path will be much more certain.Currently there are at least five possible routes...

There is even a possible scenario of morning race on Sunday (japan time), because main rain front should strike at afternoon local time. There is even proposal that Saturday race would be the safest bet, but i highly doubt that this would happen. That would mean 2-3 am start for EU viewers, so we could get drunk as apes on Saturday evening and comment the race during the night :D

DD

Is there a chance of a race 4 or more hours earlier? On the normal schedule it's set to 3am here. I'm not really in the mood to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the race... :p

Zeknurn

Is there a chance of a race 4 or more hours earlier? On the normal schedule it's set to 3am here. I'm not really in the mood to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the race... :p

That would put it in the middle of the night of Europe. No go.

Ark

This typhoon is preparing to setup the most spectacular Japanese GP ever. Seriously. Imagine a full wet, full length shootout between Hamilton and Rosberg? It would be a race for the ages.

Re Alonso: Bianchi or Grosjean are the sensible choices to fill the vacant seat at Ferrari. They could then partner Vettel in 2016 after Kimi retires again. Alonso's teammate would either be Button or a Japanese prospect. I'd prefer the latter I think.

Button won't replace Massa at Williams. Massa has a fantastic working relationship with Smedley ofc, and I would imagine that translates throughout the entire team. Ferrari wouldn't have kept him around for so long (loyalty aside) if he was 100% useless. I imagine Button would retire if he can't land the Ferrari stopgap year gig.

Zeknurn

Grosjean who seemed be out of options back when BBC last interviewed him on the forum (for Monza iirc) now gets several options thanks to Alonso starting the shuffle. I hope he ends up in a good team.

DBT85

Love the thread title lol

This typhoon is preparing to setup the most spectacular Japanese GP ever. Seriously. Imagine a full wet, full length shootout between Hamilton and Rosberg? It would be a race for the ages.

Meh, I bet we don't get a race between them. Something will happen somewhere in Quali or at the start and Rob us
of Hamilton nailing Rosberg to the floor

kiyomi

I dunno. I get the feeling whenever we get heavy rain, we'll either see a long period under the red flag, followed by 20 laps under the SC, which is what seems to happen these days. That would really ruin the race for me.

Some light rain would be lovely, I always think intermediate conditions are more exciting anyway.

Ark

Yeah sorry that's what I meant. What DBT posted is more likely, but I'd like some wet weather racing.

Not any of this 'track is wet but there's a drying line'. Give me a consistently wet race please :)

DD

Re Alonso: Bianchi or Grosjean are the sensible choices to fill the vacant seat at Ferrari. They could then partner Vettel in 2016 after Kimi retires again. Alonso's teammate would either be Button or a Japanese prospect. I'd prefer the latter I think.

Button won't replace Massa at Williams. Massa has a fantastic working relationship with Smedley ofc, and I would imagine that translates throughout the entire team. Ferrari wouldn't have kept him around for so long (loyalty aside) if he was 100% useless. I imagine Button would retire if he can't land the Ferrari stopgap year gig.

He didn't got any fame for that, but I heard that Massa is very good on finding what is wrong with the car, and fixing it. More than people that got this kind of fame, actually. And Williams seems always eager to take the blame away of him if something goes wrong, and they say a lot how happy they are with the drivers they have, and how important Massa is for the team at the moment.

kiyomi

Yeah sorry that's what I meant. What DBT posted is more likely, but I'd like some wet weather racing.

Not any of this 'track is wet but there's a drying line'. Give me a consistently wet race please :)

I get the sense Hamilton would just crush Rosberg like a grape.

DD

I'm more interested to see what Hulk can get from all this mess. And Nasr, obviously. :')

That would put it in the middle of the night of Europe. No go.
You euro snobs create all these fancy racing cars just to tease us 'muricans, eh? Not cool man. Not cool. ;(

Ark

He didn't got any fame for that, but I heard that Massa is very good on finding what is wrong with the car, and fixing it. More than people that got this kind of fame, actually. And Williams seems always eager to take the blame away of him if something goes wrong, and they say a lot how happy they are with the drivers they have, and how important Massa is for the team at the moment.

That makes a lot of sense. I feel like Massa would be the perfect team mate tbh. I really hope Massa, Bottas, and Williams can all go on to be hugely successful together.

I get the sense Hamilton would just crush Rosberg like a grape.

So do I, but then I've thought that at several races this year and that hasn't been the case (Oh Canadaaaaaaaaaaa).

I'm more interested to see what Hulk can get from all this mess. And Nasr, obviously. :')

Probably nothing. He wants a multi-year contract rather than a one-night fling :p

Addnan

So who is crazy and staying awake for the practice sessions. Europe that is, FP1 is at quite a reasonable time in NA.

Well, now that Alonso is gone, none of us have to suffer anymore. I hope the team gets back to the top before 2020.

In other, more relevant news.

Gm6HLO6.png

Zeknurn

^We're going to see lots of penalties this weekend.

Nick ‏@nicktabs 3 hours ago
@f1fanatic_co_uk @metofficestorms Made a version for those who get confused with timezones #f1 #typhoonphanfone

By9gsmpIAAAZEwe.png:large

DBT85

Nah they saved that burned one.

Looks like every non Merc team will take a penalty before the end.

If they all took it at the same time the grid would barely change lol.

yami4ct

Nah they saved that burned one.

Looks like every non Merc team will take a penalty before the end.

If they all took it at the same time the grid would barely change lol.

Does this reflect more on the FIA's penalty threshold being too low or the reliability of the other engines?

Always bet on FIA being incompetent

kiyomi

They know what the rules are, they're building the engines to last. Obviously this is the first year of development and it's tough for them. It doesn't reflect anything, it's just the state of engine development with accords to the rules in 2014.

jey_16

Banned
Well, now that Alonso is gone, none of us have to suffer anymore. I hope the team gets back to the top before 2020.

Atleast i dont have to care about how shit the car is going to be next year. Its not like Kimi and Bianchi are going to do much

yami4ct

They know what the rules are, they're building the engines to last. Obviously this is the first year of development and it's tough for them. It doesn't reflect anything, it's just the state of engine development with accords to the rules in 2014.

But the FIA are the ones that also completely changed the engine spec. If so many engines lost is a problem that can easily be foreseen, being the first year with the new engine type, wouldn't the smart thing be to increase the number of PUs allowed for this year and then clamp down in subsequent years once the reliability has settled a bit? It's not like the FIA is any stranger to changing rules season to season.

kiyomi

They would probably just spend more money on radical engine development for 2014 knowing that they could push them further/harder, though, and nobody wants costs to go through the roof like they were in the V10 days.

These years' rules seem tight but they're a good baseline for what's to come.

Top Bottom