• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Fantomex

I'm scared for Alonso actually. Honda might take years to get the hang of this. Then again that's peobably when Ferrari will get good.

RoKKeR

That new thread smell.

Anyways, from the old thread.

That seems like a complete sideways move though. One overrated washed up driver for another overrated washed up driver. They want Bottas to lead the team and he's already doing it. I think it'd be wiser to get a young, cheaper driver who's hungry to show his best. Hell, stick Suzy in there for 1 year and milk the PR. Bottas won't be at Williams for very long if he's as good as some people seem to think and a younger driver would be more beneficial to the team long-term IMO. Like, what if they took Magnussen off McLaren's hands?

I just don't really see what Massa or Button have to offer in 2015.
Totally agreed. Lock up Bottas for a few years, give Suzy a drive, soak up the insane good PR and go from there.

I would also be totally fine with them moving the race up as it'd be a more reasonable time here in the states. Either way, going to be a rough weekend for Williams in the wet. They need a good showing here to stay in it with Ferrari right up until the end.

yami4ct

That new thread smell.

Anyways, from the old thread.

Totally agreed. Lock up Bottas for a few years, give Suzy a drive, soak up the insane good PR and go from there.

If Massa is as good at fixing the car as someone in here says he is, I think he's worth keeping around for a bit longer. If he is as inconsistent in capitalizing on points opportunities next season, then I think they need to let him go.

Not going to lie, the idea of replacing him with Suzy is a pretty damn compelling one. A Williams team with her and Bottas would be fantastic. Whatever they do, they have to make sure Bottas stays around. That should be top priority at this point.

If Massa is as good at fixing the car as someone in here says he is, I think he's worth keeping around for a bit longer. If he is as inconsistent in capitalizing on points opportunities next season, then I think they need to let him go.

Not going to lie, the idea of replacing him with Suzy is a pretty damn compelling one. A Williams team with her and Bottas would be fantastic. Whatever they do, they have to make sure Bottas stays around. That should be top priority at this point.

Theres no way theyd actually give her a seat she fucking sucks, that was cynical pr probly orchestrated by Toto and nothing more. Send her back to dtm and watch her get crucified again.

duckroll

So what's happening with the Caterham shit? The bailiff says that their enforcement action was against Caterham Sports Limited, which was the owner of the F1 team before it was supposedly sold, and the F1 team is claiming that they're only a "supplier". This sounds like the same shit they pulled when they fired a bunch of people back in July. Dodgy as hell!

yami4ct

So what's happening with the Caterham shit? The bailiff says that their enforcement action was against Caterham Sports Limited, which was the owner of the F1 team before it was supposedly sold, and the F1 team is claiming that they're only a "supplier". This sounds like the same shit they pulled when they fired a bunch of people back in July. Dodgy as hell!

It sounds like a team going down tubes trying to cling onto life at least until the end of the season. If Caterham comes back at all next season, I suspect it'll be a completely different engineering staff, driver lineup and probably a rebranding. It almost has to be.

Since the "other" Caterham still runs a GP2- and a motorcycle-team, I guess they might have companies doing things for everyone at their factory?

jambo

Looking forward to the race this weekend, as well as the aftermath.

Could be some very interesting announcements.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/F1/status/517905109150597120

Kamui Kobayashi loses the rear of his @CaterhamF1 CT05 and spins into the S Curve barriers #JapaneseGP #F1

og3Hfn1.jpg

Lach

I wonder what caterham will do with the lack of spareparts. Kamui wrecked his frontwing in P2...

Thanks for the new OP!

According to Lobato (Spanish journo, best pal with Fernando), Ferrari and ALO are discussing the "split" at the moment - aiming for an amicable solution.

McLaren waiting for Fernando, but apparently so is Mercedes (but hesitant to pull the trigger due to the Hamilton situation).

Also, per the Italian press this morning, it is suggested that the real target at Ferrari is Hamilton and not Vettel but will settle for Vettel if Hamilton is not available.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Maybe Mercedes will go for Vettel and create the all German team? :p
I highly doubt that Mercedes is interested in Alonso, his star is slowly dying, endurance racing is calling...

Aiii

So not worth it
Recording the free practice to watch it, I must be insane, but then this happened:
vlcsnap-2014-10-03-087vf6z.png

...and I went like this:
500.gif

Damn. What happened?

From memory, first significant mistake he's done during anything pre-race. Or even during a race (by significant I mean enough to cause a DNF).

crashed singapore last year, i clearly remember thinking fuck me dont blow it ur trying to get the seat for next year

John_B

Still can't see why Mercedes would replace Hamilton with Alonso. Eh.
There was going to be some sort of shuffling between Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel for the 2016 season. Someone has forced the situation a year early now. There are four teams that wants and can afford to employ one or more of those three drivers, so nobody can be certain to not miss out now.

So I don't think it's much about replacing, more about securing one or the other.

I'm not buying any of the move talk until i see proper announcements.

There's so much speculation it's even worse than the premier league.

cmr-94

PitLaneTalk ‏@pitlanetalk 55m55 minutes ago
La Gazzetta: Fernando Alonso is out of Ferrari and will be replaced by Vettel in 2015. Close to official news. #F1 #Formula1

Obviously speculation, but this account has put its reputation on the line multiple times on this issue

Bianca Garloff ‏@bgarloff 4m4 minutes ago
Exclusive! Vettel on his way to Ferrari!more soon on @SPORTBILD and @abms_reporter

Aiii

So not worth it
Huge mistake on Vettel's part I believe, great move on Alsono's part.

Then again, I guess Vettel has something to prove by moving to another team and trying to get another WC away from Red Bull.

pappe

As a Ferrari fan I dont know how I will feel seeing Hamilton or Vettel in a Ferrari. I have hated them sooo much for sooo many years.

Addnan

Think it's great from Vettel. If he wins with them then wow Vettel saves Ferrari, if not well he's still four times champion and Ferrari are just shit.

Business

Think it's great from Vettel. If he wins with them then wow Vettel saves Ferrari, if not well he's still four times champion and Ferrari are just shit.

I think it always depends more of your results against your team mate. If he goes to Ferrari and Kimi or whoever is there beats him it won't be only that Ferrari are just shit. If he beats his team mate then yeah he doesn't have much to lose, but that's always the case.

DBT85

I don't think I could take Hamilton at Ferrari, it would mean supporting Ferrari.

Aren't Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton all on similar salaries?

Somewhere around the same yeah. But some keep telling us that Mercedes want to make Hamilton race for a bag of peanuts and a 6 pack of beers even if he wins the title and Fernando is going to go wherever he goes on money not too different to his current package.

yami4ct

Vergne would be super cheap for Red Bull to employ I reckon.

They have enough talent in Ricciardo to bid for a championship should the car allow it.

JEV in a car that might not be terrible? I'd be game for that. Too bad Hulk's still gonna be stuck in a mid-tier ride at best. Really want to see what he could do with a great car with him.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be awesome to watch how will the biggest Vettel haters for several years embrace him as top driver at their favorite team :D :D

Zeknurn

While Vergne would be the most sensible choice since he's on par with Ricciardo, I'd like to see them say fuck it and put Max Verstappen in the car.

Top Bottom