• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Formula 1 2014 Season |OT2| Louder Than Formula E

Drivers who do well in lower formula-series but don't have the money to compete higher up but get a chance in something like DTM won't have a chance at F1 then?

Really good article from Mark Hughes about Kimi's struggles and driving style:

"To get the best from Kimi you need to give him the car"
Not exactly a notch on his belt. In his Mclaren days he was thought to be at or near the level of Schumacher and Alonso. We know now that that was emphatically not the case and that the car flattered the driver, not the other way around, like we saw constantly with Alonso and Schumi at Ferrari.

Deadman

Button, raikonnen, alonso, vettel, Senna. All would have had to wait in lower series for longer under the new system.

Maldonado would have been fine though.

Well if they don't have the money to compete in GP2, they're hardly likely to end up having the money to compete in F1 anyway.

A lot of promising drivers in F3 end up in DTM including people like Juncadella and Merhi. Paul di Resta spent four years in DTM after winning the European F3-title and even won the DTM-championship. With these new rules he wouldn't have been able to move to F1.

Mastah

Indianapolis:

http://instagram.com/p/xhb1LunCL8/

10890630_362609127255632_1895449962_n.jpg

Amazing.

A lot of promising drivers in F3 end up in DTM including people like Juncadella and Merhi. Paul di Resta spent four years in DTM after winning the European F3-title and even won the DTM-championship. With these new rules he wouldn't have been able to move to F1.

If these rules in place back then, if Paul's ultimate goal was F1 he likely would have chosen his drives differently. It's a silly comparison.

Nicktendo86

Shamelessly stolen from the autosport forums, rumours about the mp4-30

The nose will not be like the RB10, instead it will be closer in shape to the 2009 Brawn.
Particular attention has been paid to the area around the turning vanes and front brake ducts in an effort to reduce turbulence and improve the quality of airflow to the rear of the car.
The central and rear area of the car will be the most interesting. The sidepods will be tall in the center section and very tight towards the rear.
The extreme compactness of the rear is possible because of the positioning of components of the Honda engine.

Here is a direct Google translation of a section of the article with regards to the exhaust layout:
"The exhaust manifold 3 , the output from the cylinders , are joined in the manifold that is directed toward the turbine set well back and is attached to the cylinder block."

It also says Prodromou is still studying the concept of exhaust blowing even though the FIA rules prevent it.
Prodromou and his staff are still looking at interesting ways of exploiting exhaust gas and hot air from the radiators to create downforce at the rear of the car. This is why last years butterfly suspension will not be used.
The car will initially use the new Red Bull inspired front wing seen in practice at Abu Dhabi.

tomtom94

If these rules in place back then, if Paul's ultimate goal was F1 he likely would have chosen his drives differently. It's a silly comparison.

Well, not really. If drivers would have been forced to go through different formulae just to be allowed into F1 is that not a legitimate point against the regulations?

Deadman

Sky exclusive races in 2015: Australia, China, Spain, Monaco, Austria, Germany, Italy, Singapore, Usa, Mexico.

Bbc will show: Malaysia, Bahrain, Canada, Britain, Hungary, Belgium, Japan, Russia, Brazil, Abu dhabi.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd say it's a smart choice, Monaco is hardly ever anything but a two-hour parade and they don't even do a post-race victory lap, just terrible value for money.

kharma45

I like the romance of Monaco, but it never really does much for me beyond that. Schumacher's pole lap and Bianchi's points finish are the only things I can remember from the race over the last few years.

tomtom94

I'm not really sure why you consider that to be automatically detrimental, to be honest.

I don't see why excluding drivers based on the fact they choose to do DTM (or Indycar, or FR3.5) rather than GP2 is a benefit to the sport. If anything these regs are going to make it harder to get in via GP2 and the other FIA-sanctioned series because those seats will be a higher premium and the sport is dominated by pay-drivers as it is.

I don't know, I think superlicenses needed fixing but I don't think this was the solution, it's undervaluing series like FR3.5 for no real reason, and the fact that perfectly capable drivers would have been forced to take "the FIA route" or face exclusion just seems off to me.

Well hopefully this pushes out the concept of pay drivers some.

You might end up with more pay-drivers since people will have to start paying earlier when series that give out more superlicence points will be more attractive.

F1-teams that have young drivers in a series like F3 or GP3 might not even want to move them to a better series anymore. It's better to let them stay in a lower series and get "easy" points instead of risking it in something like GP2 where they might end up with less points.

Why should a young, talented formula-driver that doesn't have enough money be punished for driving a few years in a series that (as far as I know) pay the drivers?

These new super licence rules also mean that no one is ever going to do what John Surtees did and win both MotoGP and F1. Not that it would happen again anyway but now we'll never know.

Why should a young, talented formula-driver that doesn't have enough money be punished for driving a few years in a series that (as far as I know) pay the drivers?

Again, if a driver is struggling that much to get funding, the chances of them ever making it into F1 are slim-to-none anyway. No amount of super license-tweaking is really going to change that unfortunately, and keep in mind that any changes to the super license regulations will end up excluding someone.

It seems to me that the main aim of the new rules is to narrow the focus of, and thereby increase the competitiveness of, the feeder series. That should also benefit F1 in the long run.

dubc35

2 weeks from today FI will reveal their car:
The Force India Formula One team is the first team to announce a launch date for its 2015 race car, as the team plans to unveil the Mercedes-powered VJM08 on Jan. 21.

After finishing the 2014 season a career-high sixth in the constructors' championship, the Silverstone-based team renewed with its major sponsor and Latin American wireless provider America Movil.

It means the Sergio Perez-linked Telmex, Telcel and Claro branding will also appear on the 2015 car. Those brands will also be seen on cars at Ferrari, where Esteban Gutierrez has become that team's new reserve driver.

Force India's launch is scheduled for the Soumaya museum in Mexico City.

"I wish to thank Telmex, Telcel and Claro for their support in making this event possible," said team boss Vijay Mallya.

Mastah

Samurai is back with his infinite wisdom:

Fernando Alonso ‏@alo_oficial 4m4 minutes ago

A warrior has to deal with the path of improvement. His life is a challenge, and challenges are not good or bad, are simply challenges...

Top Bottom