• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Future of Final Fantasy' will be revealed June 11

Arthea

I'm actually starting to get afraid about Versus and the rumors being true that they've converted it to have an old school turnbased shit battlesystem instead of being an action RPG like originally intended, if they have indeed changed the name to FFXV and they are doing the same kind of backpedaling on a mainline game not getting to be too drastically different from its predecessors, like they did with Dragon Quest IX. I dun want that. .___.

There is nothing wrong with tb, it's not shit, it's matter of preference. There are too many action games already, and too little tb. Can you people lay off this? I actually wouldn't buy Versus if it had boring KH bs and it was looking like it. If they changed it, I might buy it.

Please just focus more on game mechanics and story telling rather than graphics. PLEASE.

Agreed, to an extent. Keep the high quality graphics a priority, but make better use of CG cutscenes to further the narrative and characters (not: hey lookit what we can do with CG!! Lookit how awesome Lightning is!!). Heck, if their nextgen graphics are Agnis-quality, they can scrap the CG altogether. Bet that would save them a lot of money.

Dvide

Banned
What if Final Fantasy VXIII (or XV) had Ninja Gaiden- or Metal Gear Rising-esque gameplay, but then besides sword action it's got a focus on magic, expierence and leveling like the previous Final Fantasy-games. I mean, I would literally shit my balls out and put them back in out of excitement.

They are going to have to really be working on something special to get me on board. This entire past gen was a wash for me other than The Last Remnant on pc, Dragon Quest 9, and Tactics A2 on DS.

I really hated the battle system in X-2. What really pissed me off was the fact that you were able to MISS special dress spheres. I finished the game and never actually found Payne's special dress sphere.
I honestly think XIII had the best battle system but that's just my personal preference.

Go back to sixth axis :p

StuBurns

Banned
What if Final Fantasy VXIII (or XV) had Ninja Gaiden- or Metal Gear Rising-esque gameplay, but then besides sword action it's got a focus on magic, expierence and leveling like the previous Final Fantasy-games. I mean, I would literally shit my balls out and put them back in out of excitement.
What if it was like Kingdom Hearts?

Arthea

They are going to have to really be working on something special to get me on board. This entire past gen was a wash for me other than The Last Remnant on pc, Dragon Quest 9, and Tactics A2 on DS.

I wouldn't mind new tLR, glorious battle system and big scale battles, it's a waste to use it only in one game, isn't it?

Negator

It would mean Final Fantasy is officially dead.

However KHBBS good is, if you think SQEX can pull off Platinum Games level of gameplay, you're in for crushing disapointment. (Dirige of Cerberus 1.0(jp ver.) says hi)

Famassu

When was that rumored? o_O
I've seen it pop up at least 2-3 times the past couple of years, most recently by that Verendus or whoever guy who's been trying to act all insider-y about knowing what is going on with Versus. Or at least I think I remember him saying something like that.

There is nothing wrong with tb, it's not shit, it's matter of preference. There are too many action games already, and too little tb. Can you people lay off this? I actually wouldn't buy Versus if it had boring KH bs and it was looking like it. If they changed it, I might buy it.
There is if the game hasn't been designed to be one from the start and if they'd actually turn Versus from an action RPG to some FFVII-IX type ATBd game. That would be such a huge leap back from the multi-character action RPG it's meant to be.

CorvoSol

I would say that the old school ATB is beginning to show its age, though. Having just played through the majority of the mainline games, I can say that it's to the point where any non-boss encounter can be overcome by rapidly tapping the attack option again and again, regardless of the game's difficulty. XIII was right to at least try and make things move more quickly and structure battles in such away that just plain barreling the attack option wasn't always the quickest way out, but the ATB needs to refresh.

StuBurns

Banned
The point of giving Versus a numerical canon entry would be to change the perception of the series, changing Versus to meet the previously established criteria of the series would be wholly redundant.

Dr Dogg

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be bitterly disappointed?

I can dig a Theatrhytym sequel as long as it's alongside a more traditional mainline entry but a slew of iOS titles on there own would really be a kick in the teeth.

Arthea

There is if the game hasn't been designed to be one from the start and if they'd actually turn Versus from an action RPG to some FFVII-IX type ATBd game. That would be such a huge leap back from the multi-character action RPG it's meant to be.
huge leap forward you mean? meant to be? It was spin off, now it's most likely will be mainline game, so it's meant to be better than action RPG.
Why all games need to be the same? Unique battle systems of FFs is what make FF popular partly.
We don't need FF=KH, we already have KH, we don't need FF=NG, we already have NG, what we need is a good FF. Do you see what I mean?

Feorax

Can they just do away with sphere grids, licences and crystariums?

Simple level 1 to 100. Kill enemies, get exp, level up.

Please? Pretty please?

CorvoSol

Please? Pretty please?

You know, I care less about that than I do about killing an enemy and getting fucking MONEY for doing it. It was a pain in XII and it was even worse in XIII.

Arthea

I would say that the old school ATB is beginning to show its age, though. Having just played through the majority of the mainline games, I can say that it's to the point where any non-boss encounter can be overcome by rapidly tapping the attack option again and again, regardless of the game's difficulty. XIII was right to at least try and make things move more quickly and structure battles in such away that just plain barreling the attack option wasn't always the quickest way out, but the ATB needs to refresh.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. By this gen we got conditioned to action games, that doesn't mean they are more modern, it means they are majority.
I still like gameplay of older FFs just fine, I do like FF13 battle system, though, but with FFs I expect more or less new battle system with every game, still I'm strongly against turning FF mainline to Action RPG, very strongly and I'm certainly not alone in this.

Please? Pretty please?

Please no! even prettier please.
Aren't FFs already simplified enough for you? You want more?
And that's why we can't have nice things :(

StuBurns

Banned
huge leap forward you mean? meant to be? It was spin off, now it's most likely will be mainline game, so it's meant to be better than action RPG.
Why all games need to be the same? Unique battle systems of FFs is what make FF popular partly.
We don't need FF=KH, we already have KH, we don't need FF=NG, we already have NG, what we need is a good FF. Do you see what I mean?
Right, so if I say we don't need a good traditional Final Fantasy, because we have Ni no Kuni, what difference does that make?

We've had two ATB Final Fantasies this generation, they weren't very good. Why should Versus be compromised because it's getting a name change?

Into

Please? Pretty please?

This a million times

Why do they feel they need to change everything just to say "Yo we changed everthan'!"? All these weird spheres, grids etc just complicate matters. People still enjoy just good old fashioned, get xp, new items/abilities and move on, look at WoW, Diablo 3 and even Call of Duty. Final Fantasy used to be known for just that with just enough depth for the hardcore fans to make really overpowered builds and characters.

The time it takes them to think of a new way to spend talent points or skills could be spent on just designing more optional quests

Famassu

Isn't it already? Can't get much more dead than All the Bravest.
Shitty mobile games are no indication of a franchises health. If they were, then that would mean pretty much all big publishers & their IPs are in the scrapper.

What if it was like Kingdom Hearts?
Well, it IS like Kingdom Hearts, but with a little more weight + the possibility to switch characters on the fly.

They aren't aiming for that kind of gameplay, it seems to have a bigger emphasis on actually having control over more than one characters, all with different abilities/strengths, so hopefully there's some strategic depth to how you can approach fights depending on who you have with you and who you decide to control at any given time.

CorvoSol

I don't think it has anything to do with age. By this gen we got conditioned to action games, that doesn't mean they are more modern, it means they are majority.
I still like gameplay of older FFs just fine, I do like FF13 battle system, though, but with FFs I expect more or less new battle system with every game, still I'm strongly against turning FF mainline to Action RPG, very strongly and I'm certainly not alone in this.

I'm not talking specifically action, just that the ATB itself isn't really that deep. Let's begin with a few honest confessions: Status magic was rarely if ever useful in the history of the series. MP always is reserved until boss fights. High encounter rates aren't fun for a reason.

I won't deny that I had more fun with Crisis Core and Type-0 than I did Dimensions and TAY, but I think its just that the ATB needs to make battles more engaging. It doesn't have to go the action route, but it DOES need to change. If I can just mash attack to win, it isn't fun. The illusion of in-battle strategy is lost, when I feel it needs most to make a come back.

Shitty mobile games are no indication of a franchises health. If they were, then that would mean pretty much all big publishers & their IPs are in the scrapper.

You ever see that cartoon gag where someone is made to support a ridiculous number of heavy objects, succeeds, only to collapse beneath the extra weight of a flower or a feather or something equally light? That's this. Shitacular games like XIII, XIII-2, and most undoubtedly XIII-3, and the implosion of XIV are the heavy items, but absurd shit like All the Bravest is the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I want an FF12 strategy RPG spin-off that features large scale battles. I want to clash dozens of gambit-powered dudes against dozens of other gambit-powered dudes and observe the spectacle. I want to recruit generic soldiers, pre-slotted with gambits to match their respective archetype (white mage, black mage, fighter, etc). I want to have some kind of campaign-wide technology tree that allows me to upgrade these soldiers' equipment and expand their gambit set. I want to discover and befriend powerful hero characters that are fully customizable like a standard FF12 player character--leading that large force of soldiers to assault the enemy, or grouping up with other hero characters to capture critical objectives. This is a tangent, but it's an FF spin-off I would love play. That and Final Fantasy: Magitek Armor, co-developed by From Software.

Arthea

Right, so if I say we don't need a good traditional Final Fantasy, because we have Ni no Kuni, what difference does that make?

We've had two ATB Final Fantasies this generation, they weren't very good. Why should Versus be compromised because it's getting a name change?

Ni no Kuni is no FF. Let's leave it at that, OK?

They aren't good not because of battle systems, no.

I'm OK with this, you can have Versus then and I can have my precious nothing! Everybody is happy!
wait...

Really, you can have, I just hope the next FF after versus will be better for me too. (><)

Jawmuncher

I would prefer a TB FF but Im not opposed to a action type combat system either. Really all depends on how it'll be done. Now I don't want to be flying around and all that nonsense from
KH though.

Regardless if the games good its good battle system be damned.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm OK with this, you can have Versus then and I can have my precious nothing! Everybody is happy!
wait...
Well you just got two Final Fantasies, and I've waited seven years for this, it's my turn, and if Versus is fucked up because SE is too scared to ship an Action RPG under a mainline entry, I'm going to be monumentally pissed.

If, and we don't actually know, but if Versus is now XV, and is still an Action RPG, it doesn't mean anything for FFXVI, it could easily be a random mutation, rather than a new standard bearer.

Shinta

Banned
I'm ready for FF to try their hand at a true action RPG. It's inevitable at this point. Every big RPG is now an action RPG: The Witcher, Dark Souls, Mass Effect, Dragon's Dogma, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, Deus Ex and on and on. I can't wait to see SQEX really go for that format seriously.

I think they've pretty much done all they can do with command-based, "turn"-based battle systems. FFX was basically the culmination of the classic FF battle system, and I can't think of a lot they could add to it. XII really pushed it as far as it can go in the complexity side while keeping it single player. XIII really pushed it as far as it can go towards action while keeping it command menu based (Lightning Returns might take it a few steps farther though). What's left for turn based to really do?

The only time I would love turn based is in a new tactics game.

Other than that, I think we're going to see action for a little while. They just can't ignore all the big RPG gaming trends this gen, and they've been going that way on their own for a good while now.

I think Versus will obviously be action, but probably even the FF after that if I had to guess.

Arthea

Well you just got two Final Fantasies, and I've waited seven years for this, it's my turn, and if Versus is fucked up because SE is too scared to ship an Action RPG under a mainline entry, I'm going to be monumentally pissed.

If, and we don't actually know, but if Versus is now XV, and is still an Action RPG, it doesn't mean anything for FFXVI, it could easily be a random mutation, rather than a new standard bearer.

You can have "my" 2 FFs, seriously, you can have them! Take them, please!

Who knows SE? it might easily be iOS card game, or f2p iOS game where you buy and party members and enemies.

Famassu

huge leap forward you mean?
No, huge leap backwards.

meant to be? It was spin off, now it's most likely will be mainline game, so it's meant to be better than action RPG.
I've had a lot more fun actually PLAYING action RPGs Square Enix has made this gen (Birth By Sleep, TWEWY, etc.) than what some consider "superior" games, even "classics" like FFIX, and this is simply because the battles are (mostly) so boring in those games. Action RPGs, if done well & if even somewhat challenging, can be so much more exciting than anything any ATB has ever had. Not to say those games are completely unplayable (FFVI is still the best FF overall) and the reason why I actually like FFXIII is because it had a fast-paced battle system with some fairly challenging fights (at least for me, since I don't grind at all so I was a bit underleveled for a lot of fights).

Uhh... if FFVsXIII is renamed FFXV and it's an action RPG, it's not the same as every other FF.

While they are clearly taking some pointers from KH, Versus is still a thing of its own thanks to some pretty major differences. Nomura has even said they don't want to make them completely the same. He still wants to have some clear differences between the KH franchise (which is the more whimsical one) and Versus XIII, Versus won't be a carbon copy of KH, gameplay-wise.

Well darn...i want to tell them to buzz off but I'm kinda excited to see what they show...please don't suck...and go back to a largely instrumental soundtrack...thanks!

Clevinger

The point of giving Versus a numerical canon entry would be to change the perception of the series, changing Versus to meet the previously established criteria of the series would be wholly redundant.

The point of giving Versus a numerical canon entry would be for that financial black hole to not sell like a spinoff.

KeRaSh

An unfortunate side effect of XIV totally bombing.

Aren't they special for a reason? Like Ultimate Weapons and etc? With that said, the method of getting it is pretty simple since you just talk to an NPC.

Well, to me they were like Limit Breaks or Trance abilities, so making them completely missable was a real disappointed for me back then (I was still a kid :p ).

Go back to sixth axis :p

YOU'RE NOT MY MOM!!! :p

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I agree with Corvo here. Turn Based is starting to show it's age.
I'm currently playing FFIX and I never use Vivi's or Garnet's magic on random encounters, as it wastes MP, which in turn, wastes Ethers. Therefore, I'm using them to attack and taking off, like, 98 HP or some shit. I also don't bother with Steiner's Sword Arts or Sword Magic for the same reason, especially when his attack stat is pretty beast as it is. You can literally beat any random encounter by mashing attack. There's little strategy, and it desperately needs updating.
If there's one thing XIII did right, aside from the music, it was getting you engaged in every battle and forcing you to think about what Paradigms you use. If Square do go back to Turn Based, they need to make it quicker, snappier, and more thought provoking.

CorvoSol

I'm currently playing FFIX and I never use Vivi's or Garnet's magic on random encounters, as it wastes MP, which in turn, wastes Ethers. Therefore, I'm using them to attack and taking off, like, 98 HP or some shit. I also don't bother with Steiner's Sword Arts or Sword Magic for the same reason, especially when his attack stat is pretty beast as it is. You can literally beat any random encounter by mashing attack. There's little strategy, and it desperately needs updating.
If there's one thing XIII did right, aside from the music, it was getting you engaged in every battle and forcing you to think about what Paradigms you use. If Square do go back to Turn Based, they need to make it quicker, snappier, and more thought provoking.

The worst part about ATB in IX, which I'm playing atm, too, is that the meter takes FOREVER to fill up. Battles are SO slow in that game.

KeRaSh

I completely agree. I really liked that you sometimes had to react within 1-2 seconds to switch to a certain Paradigm to survive a special attack. It really added a layer of strategy to tougher fights.

Zukuu

Banned
God please go back to turn based. RPGs are supposed to resolve around strategy, and not button mashing to the win.

I had the most epic battles in FF7, something I never had in FF13's shallow auto win system.
You just have to do it RIGHT.

But the "future of FF" will be MMORPGs, More IOS, and rehashes of the same games anyway. =/

Top Bottom