• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Future of Final Fantasy' will be revealed June 11

zeopower6

But the "future of FF" will be MMORPGs, More IOS, and rehashes of the same games anyway. =/

Realistically, we won't get another MMO till maybe XIX. iOS is going to always be a thing nowadays, but it isn't that big of a deal IMO.

Trigger

I am ready. Next week will be non-stop slayage.

God please go back to turn based. RPGs are supposed to resolve around strategy, and not button mashing to the win.

I had the most epic battles in FF7, something I never had in FF13's shallow auto win system.
You just have to do it RIGHT.

But the "future of FF" will be MMORPGs, More IOS, and rehashes of the same games anyway. =/

But XIII was one of the toughest games in the series. It was hardly auto win.

Darryl

Banned
Realistically, we won't get another MMO till maybe XIX. iOS is going to always be a thing nowadays, but it isn't that big of a deal IMO.

it really depends on what ffxiv 2.0 plays like. i can imagine them noticing how outside developers are trending back into the sandbox style. if they didn't see this early enough, i can see them beginning work on an mmo to fill that gap. maybe we'll get the ffxi 2.0 i've always wanted.

zeopower6

It is if that's the only thing they focus their resources on.

Well, they have to devote some resources to it. Plus, I doubt all that many people from the console side of things have had much to do with the iOS titles. They've been busy fixing XIV. Once that is out of the way, I think console development should pick up considerably.

Zukuu

Banned
I am ready. Next week will be non-stop slayage.

But XIII was one of the toughest games in the series. It was hardly auto win.
I hope this is bad sarcasm. FF13 was the easiest by FAR (well with FF8). I died like ONCE. +They capped your progress so they balanced everything around your level anyway. Really, it was pathetic x-mash with occasional para switch. I think I needed to make another paradigma once for the last hunting boss. (tresor), otherwise the typical paradigmas were enough.

Shinta

Banned
I hope this is bad sarcasm. FF13 was the easiest by FAR (well with FF8). I died like ONCE. +They capped your progress so they balanced everything around your level anyway. Really, it was pathetic x-mash with occasional para switch. I think I needed to make another paradigma once for the last hunting boss. (tresor), otherwise the typical paradigmas were enough.

I honestly think you're lying. I died more in XIII than probably all other FF's combined. Did you do any of the hunts in the plains area? It's easy to die on Eidolon fights too. It's easy to get one shotted by several enemies without a tank with guard up. And if your leader dies it's game over.

The level cap makes it more difficult, not less. It means it's impossible to overlevel and cheese your way through the game like every other FF.

And like they talked about on the last page, all FF games consist of selecting "attack" 99% of the time with some spells and cures thrown in. Most don't even have tanks. Most don't really even benefit from buffs and debuffs like XIII does.

Famassu

God please go back to turn based. RPGs are supposed to resolve around strategy, and not button mashing to the win.

I had the most epic battles in FF7, something I never had in FF13's shallow auto win system.
Yeah, FFVII is the epitome of button mashing for the win. It's attack-command whoring to the max. FFXIII has some really tough boss fights where you must have a good set of paradigms unless you either want the battles to be overly long or if you want to even win the battles.

Don't be stupid. They are just (re-)releasing one MMO, they aren't going to cannibalize its success by bringing another one into the market that would be hyped in this event. And if it's not even a success, they aren't going to bother with an MMO in the near future.

Yeah, there will be more iOS stuff because handhelds aren't that profitable (worldwide) anymore.

Rehashes? What, exactly, have they rehashed recently? Pretty much all of their games have done something completely new or pushed franchises forward (or at least tried to), even sequels like Lightning Returns are drastically different from their predecessors.

Hedge

As long as I get Versus, I don't really care which direction they're going in. They've lost a lot of talent to the handheld departments within SE, so I'm not really expecting anything astoundingly amazing in the future. The last few SE games I spent a substantial amount of time on were all on handhelds, which I find really sad.

To get my RPG fix I have more faith in the Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls-franchises.

Oh god I will literally go berserk if Versus loses its real-time combat. Seriously. The only turn-based games I play nowadays is the Atelier series (which I don't mind since alchemy/crafting is the true star of the show), a return to motionless ATB will instantly wipe out 50% of my hype.

Versus is supposed to be a radical entry, one that usher in even more changes to the FF formula than the traditional reboot between each mainline entry. Please let the original vision be intact.

I really cannot see them doing this. The KH-like battle system was part of what made it get attention. It would be suicide for the game to revert back to a traditional ATB system.

Trigger

It wasn't sarcasm. Shinta highlighted some decent reasons for why. Either way, "auto win" is a pretty silly description of the actual game's combat.

Ravage

Oh god I will literally go berserk if Versus loses its real-time combat. Seriously. The only turn-based games I play nowadays is the Atelier series (which I don't mind since alchemy/crafting is the true star of the show), a return to motionless ATB will instantly wipe out 50% of my hype.

Versus is supposed to be a radical entry, one that usher in even more changes to the FF formula than the traditional reboot between each mainline entry. Please let the original vision be intact.

CLBridges

Nothing more for me to say except, I agree with this. I hope Versus remains as the creator originally intended.

Negator

At this point I honestly don't care what it is. As long as it is a good game.

Zukuu

Banned
I honestly think you're lying. I died more in XIII than probably all other FF's combined. Did you do any of the hunts in the plains area? It's easy to die on Eidolon fights too. It's easy to get one shotted by several enemies without a tank with guard up. And if your leader dies it's game over.

The level cap makes it more difficult, not less. It means it's impossible to overlevel and cheese your way through the game like every other FF.

And like they talked about on the last page, all FF games consist of selecting "attack" 99% of the time with some spells and cures thrown in. Most don't even have tanks. Most don't really even benefit from buffs and debuffs like XIII does.

I even mentioned the last hunting boss. I did all of them. I even platined FF13-2 (just because I had like 95% of the trophies through normal playing) and beat all bosses. They were all a joke. Hell, I even beat the first of the 3 steppe bosses the first time I went there (vastly under leveled by the time, mind you).

See, without a tank, so you didn't use the system correctly. Really, you can coupe with almost all situations with a basic paradigma setup.

Com - Rav - Sent
Com - Sent - Med
Sab - Sent - Syn
Com - Com - Rav
Med - Sent - Med
etc

Like I said, there was like one time I needed to change that setup and include a Senx3 for the last hunt. But that's about it. Otherwise it's mash x until they are dead and occasional switch roles to re-buff and re-debuff or heal. Both 13 games were a joke when it comes to difficulty. No need for fine tuning much.

I miss the old super bosses from FF7. Without a guide, that was probably the hardest battle in a jrpg I've ever had. The endless tries to get a good tactic and combination of materias etc. Or disc 1 arena clear for Cloud's Ulti. Sooo good.

FF8 was just as easy as 13 tho. The auroa abuse just made this game way too easy... And doomtrain was op.

My nightmares... they were prophecy.

BxbCbSn.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
Not sure what you mean with this part.

Isn't that all FF games?

Sent = Sentinel = Tank

If you're overleveled yes, but that isn't the norm. I mean FF6 was a joke as well froma certain point and with certain gear.

The difference between FF13 and FF7,9 etc is that you decide the battle prior to actually fighting it. You set up your "strategy" (which as I mentioned isn't hardly different for any battle) and then watch how your characters fare. You have little to no effect on the actual gameplay. You're more a coach and beside assigning roles, don't need to do anything. Timing is almost not a factor.
Other FFs were only partly decided by the setups (and you needed to heavily tweak it depending on the situation). FF13 would have been better without the "auto battle" option and the atb filling a bit slower and way, way, way more spells / skills to chose from. Also, WHY CANT I MOVE?! Opponent does an AoE Effect on my Sentinel? Yes Lightning, I wanted you to cling to Snow, right...

StuBurns

Banned
The point of giving Versus a numerical canon entry would be for that financial black hole to not sell like a spinoff.
I very much doubt that. It needs a name change, because it needs to not seem like it's related to XIII, and Versus has associations with fighting games, but it doesn't need to be XV in order to sell as well as a mainline entry.

I remember around the time it was announced someone asked SE why Versus wasn't a mainline entry, and they said it was too different. That was a logical stance at the time, they had no way of knowing the critical reception of XIII would be mixed, or that Versus was still seven years away from shipping. Agito XIII didn't become XV, it needed a name change, but it didn't automatically get the next roman numeral.

If Versus is FFXV, it's more than to help sell the game, it's a cry for Western reverence.

Famassu

I even mentioned the last hunting boss. I did all of them. I even platined FF13-2 (just because I had like 95% of the trophies through normal playing) and beat all bosses. They were all a joke. Hell, I even beat the first of the 3 steppe bosses the first time I went there (vastly under leveled by the time, mind you).

See, without a tank, so you didn't use the system correctly. Really, you can coupe with almost all situations with a basic paradigma setup.

Com - Rav - Sent
Com - Sent - Med
Sab - Sent - Syn
Com - Com - Rav
Med - Sent - Med
etc

Like I said, there was like one time I needed to change that setup and include a Senx3 for the last hunt. But that's about it. Otherwise it's mash x until they are dead and occasional switch roles to re-buff and re-debuff or heal. Both 13 games were a joke when it comes to difficulty. No need for fine tuning much.
At least you had to pay attention during fights for when buffs ended and to prepare for some super-attacks. In FFVII 99,999999999% of the fights go with the same pattern (attack-command whore until someone maybe needs Cure/Cura/Curaga). There are a lot of battles in FFXIII where you can die very quickly if you are careless or have suboptimal paradigms, almost nothing similar in FFVII.

Besides, that kind of Sentinel-focused paradigm-set is boring.

I miss the old super bosses from FF7. Without a guide, that was probably the hardest battle in a jrpg I've ever had. The endless tries to get a good tactic and combination of materias etc. Or disc 1 arena clear for Cloud's Ulti. Sooo good.
Wow, FFVII had one tough boss battle!

KeRaSh

Auto attack was necessary in XIII. If it weren't for that you'd have to manually select and confirm attack six times every round, which would be effing annoying. It would have also been impossible to do that with all characters (for those who complained about having two bots in your party).
In older, turn based Final Fantasy games you picked you action, maybe held back a turn in order to react to whatever the enemy did but usually you were doing your thing and then reacting to what happened. In XIII you had the chance to immediately react to what the enemy was ABOUT TO do by changing to different Paradigms.
Sure, I could just ignore it and soak up the damage, or drag out the fight by not working towards staggering the enemy, but that's not how I played the game.
The same goes for the final Hunt mission. It's not impossible to win the fight without much of a strategy, but if you're going for a 5 star rating, every move has to be perforemd pretty much perfectly.

At least you had to pay attention during fights for when buffs ended and to prepare for some super-attacks. In FFVII 99,999999999% of the fights go with the same pattern (attack-command whore until someone maybe needs Cure/Cura/Curaga). There are a lot of battles in FFXIII where you can die very quickly if you are careless or have suboptimal paradigms, almost nothing similar in FFVII.

Yep.

Good god, FFXIII had its problems, but the combat system was NOT one of them.

Village

i dunno acton rpg's are pretty cool

akaoni

Banned
I hope their next gen Final Fantasy games will be released on PC now that they're both x86 architecture.

I wonder if PS3 being the lead platform(?) for FFXIII was the reason we didn't get XIII on the PC while the Last Remnant for example did get ported.

Zukuu

Banned

Then you call the game boring, because that is how it's played "normally". They give you a tanking role for a reason...

I mean you could raid in a mmorpg without a tank as well and then complain that you get one shotted... >_>

7 had 2 1/2 super bosses + the game was actually challenging if you weren't over leveled. I remember how I needed a WEEK to beat the demonwall boss because I didn't know about the "no slot weapons are a effective" thing. Materia Keeper was a bitch as well, until I used bio+chocobo(?) by accident. I also used spells very often, and aimed for weak spots if I found them or figured it out. You also had enemies you couldn't reach with melee based characters. You also needed to tweak your setups often.

13 was mildly fun for one trip, but the flaws are way to grave to even consider it a "decent" game. Hell it was a playable tunnel-movie in all parts, not only during battle. Plot was weak and confusing due to the made up words, Characters were shallow and unlikable for the most part and the combat system could be handled by a 4 year old. 13-2 was even worse... I'm a hardcore FF fan, but even I will pass upon LR after twice that disappointment.

While FF X had its weak points as well, I really liked the battle system to a degree. If they would have build upon that and improved that further, I think we would have a pretty decent battle system. But no, SE wanted to cash in on the MMORPG hype back than (even twice, with Single player MMORPG FF 12 and the real mmorpg FF11).
FF13 reminds me A LOT of the cinematic-action-fest-tunnles that were and are found in almost all main stream games. CoD, RE6, Uncharted, Tomb Raider etc. It feels to me that they hunt the market, instead of just making a good game which sells because it's good.
Many companies do that nowadays, in particular "leaders" back then like Capcom. Tis a shame that games have become a business ONLY and that the higher ups lack the insight to realize what makes a good game.

It is time, for the end :(

Hope gets his own spin off called Final Fantasy: a new hope

That would be the worst news but still I believe something good will happen. Wii u game please B^)

tass0

Banned

Agreed.

Honestly, especially with the recent reveal of Deus Ex: The Fall... I have no faith in Square-Enix whatsoever.

That's actually an understatement. Whatever future of Final Fantasy is, it's going to be exactly what nobody wanted.

Rising_Hei

ummm... i've played every entry in the FF series, and i can tell you that FFXIII is the hardest after Final Fantast V. VI was way too easy to exploit, and so was VII, VIII, IX, XII, etc... X was really easy as well, but atleast its endgame requiered some skill.

Still, FFXIII isn't really hard compared to other jrpgs.

Toth

When 13 was released, this board was abuzz with how hard it was. "The challenge is back!" etc.

Funny how few remember.

Whatever future of Final Fantasy is, it's going to be exactly what nobody wanted.
I'm betting on this, but there hasn't been an FF since 9 that I feel has been worth the time playing, so I'm probably not in their focus group's demographic for THE FUTURE.

KeRaSh

Then you call the game boring, because that is how it's played "normally". They give you a tanking role for a reason...

I mean you could raid in a mmorpg without a tank as well and then complain that you get one shotted... >_>

I really doubt constantly having a SEN in your active party is how it's played "normally".
The MMO comparison is pretty weak, if you ask me. You could switch paradigms within split seconds for a reason. Sure it was risky, but that's the fun.
The real fun started when you had RAV RAV RAV stagger an enemy within a few rounds, get the percentage up a little more, switch to COM COM RAV (or 3x COM) and tear shit up.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Tempering my expectations. I don't want to see anymore CG trailers with no release dates, even for their next gen Final Fantasy.

Soriku

I'm actually starting to get afraid about Versus and the rumors being true that they've converted it to have an old school turnbased shit battlesystem instead of being an action RPG like originally intended, if they have indeed changed the name to FFXV and they are doing the same kind of backpedaling on a mainline game not getting to be too drastically different from its predecessors, like they did with Dragon Quest IX. I dun want that. .___.

This is a fake rumor started by a BS "insider" at GameFAQs. People stop bringing this up plz.

Zukuu

Banned
I really doubt constantly having a SEN in your active party is how it's played "normally".
The MMO comparison is pretty weak, if you ask me. You could switch paradigms within split seconds for a reason. Sure it was risky, but that's the fun.
The real fun started when you had RAV RAV RAV stagger an enemy within a few rounds, get the percentage up a little more, switch to COM COM RAV (or 3x COM) and tear shit up.

Really weak? Hahaha, the paradigma are nothing BUT a MMORPG-style of gameplay. Roles that do exactly a specific thing and only a specific thing.

You can play the game without COM or RAV as well, but I may ask you, WHY WOULD YOU?
The same goes for Tank. I mean for normal battles you don't need one, but for bosses and tough mobs, of course! Just like you need a healer when you're hurt and a debuffer when you need debuffs.

3x Rav or 2x Rav+Com is certainly viable for bosses as well, but then don't complain about receiving too much damage and calling the game hard... it wasn't. >_>

Cornbread78

Man, all this paradigm talk is reminding me that I never could beat one of those fu(king giant turtles on Gran Pulse.... WTF... I watched all the videos and everything, but could never finish before Doom was cast and I died shortly there after....

daniels

Its hard to have faith in SE they wasted a whole generation..
Remember Final Fantasy? It's back. In pog form -_-°
Please prove me wrong SE T_T

Labadal

After reading about XIII-LR release date, I wonder if FFXIV:ARR is the only *big FF game releasing in the west for the rest of the year.

*no iphone/ipad game or remake.

XIII was definitely challenging, the problem was that the challenge was basically mechanical and not really strategies. How fast can you manage Paradigm shifts and pick spells, basically.

But let's be fair, the battle system wasn't really FFXIII's problem.

I don't mind if Versus stays an action-RPG rather than become turn-based, Crisis Core proved that it can be fun if the game is well-designed (unlike Kingdom Hearts), but I must defend turn-based a little bit here. How can a particular kind of gameplay become too old to enjoy? What sense is there in that? And if it's true, then why chess? Whither chess?
:p

Besides, action-RPGs have the flaw that not all characters can be controlled fully at all times. If most of your party is controlled by AI then why strategize, or develop their characteristics in any one particular direction? They'll blow their MP in 30 seconds anyway. And if not do that then why call it an RPG?

FFX was awesome because you can suddenly be in a pickle if ambushed by weak but petrifying wasps and conversely powerful bosses can be made innocuous by knowing them and outsmarting them. If you find yourself pressing x all the time in an RPG then it may not be that well designed, or you may have trained a bit too much. If developers automate pressing x in a novel turn-based system it rather sounds to me like they're idea of strategy is different from mine and curiously lacks critical decisions. Although maybe it's me
I
who's missing something.

Top Bottom