• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF Video and Filmmaking Thread

Thraktor

Given the popularity of the photography threads here on GAF, and particularly the emergence of affordable video-capable DSLRs, I thought it would be worthwhile setting up a similar thread to see what sort of talent there is on GAF on the video/filmmaking side of things. I'm an absolute beginner myself, having recently picked up a Canon 550D, so I'm eager to learn from whomever's out there who wants to contribute.

As I'm doing the OP, I thought it would be worthwhile to set it up as a sort of repository for links to articles, guides, tutorials, etc., for anyone who's looking to learn. I'll start off with an article I came across recently, and if anyone has anything else they think is worth reading, let me know and I'll edit it in.

Articles, Tutorials, Tips & Tricks, etc.

Which “Video DSLR” to buy? - philipbloom.net
A great starter guide to the pros and cons of the different video-capable DSLRs out there, essential reading if you're looking into buying one of them. Philip Bloom's blog itself is also well worth reading for news and articles on video DSLRs.
Recommended by me.

takezer0.com
Loads of cheap filmmaking tips, from lighting to storytelling to editing.
Recommended by MetalAlien

Celtx
Free screenwriting software with built-in production tools.
Recommended by Mr. Snrub

Film Riot
Good resource for DIY filmmaking, including tutorials and reviews.
Recommended by Mr. Snrub

Freddie Wong
A GAFer, apparently, with some great videos as well as tutorials and behind the scenes videos.
Recommended by Mr. Snrub

Corridor Digital
A GAFer, definitely, who made the Modern Warfare: Frozen Crossing fanfilms, with behind the scenes and tutorial videos.
Made by Okin

CheesyCam.com
How tos and reviews for cheap VDSLR gear.
Recommended by Fidelis Hodie

DVXuser.com
One of the many forums out there. Lots of good discussion.

Cinema5D.com
Geared mainly for DSLR shooting, has a lot of traffic and good discussion.

I'm looking into buying a camera. Was thinking of the DV100B.

I have a lot of stories and projects I want to put on film. I just don't have anybody here who is interested in acting or helping.

Thraktor

BlackGoku03 said:
I'm looking into buying a camera. Was thinking of the DV100B.

I have a lot of stories and projects I want to put on film. I just don't have anybody here who is interested in acting or helping.

Yep, finding people to help out is always going to be a problem. I'm fortunate in that I know a few people who have done acting, and are happy to be involved, but I'm waiting until I get a better hang of the kit before I start getting other people involved. Basically I don't want them to give up after I make them do each shot 8 times because I keep screwing up the focus. Better to make mistakes on my own first, before I drag my friends in.

You don't really need that many people to get started, though, just start small. You could quite easily do some shorts with just a single actor if you can find someone, and if you're doing static shots you could go in front of the camera yourself as well. Once you've done a few small shorts, hopefully they'll impress your friends enough that they'll be begging to get involved at that stage. :D

Thraktor said:
Yep, finding people to help out is always going to be a problem. I'm fortunate in that I know a few people who have done acting, and are happy to be involved, but I'm waiting until I get a better hang of the kit before I start getting other people involved. Basically I don't want them to give up after I make them do each shot 8 times because I keep screwing up the focus. Better to make mistakes on my own first, before I drag my friends in.

You don't really need that many people to get started, though, just start small. You could quite easily do some shorts with just a single actor if you can find someone, and if you're doing static shots you could go in front of the camera yourself as well. Once you've done a few small shorts, hopefully they'll impress your friends enough that they'll be begging to get involved at that stage. :D
Yeah, that's true. I can't wait to start. I really wish I had a camera now. The weather is so nice right now. Buying a new car comes first though.

EDIT:
I need a place to buy lighting a bulbs. There's no place for miles that sales this type of equipment. i have no idea where to start either.

I worked on some indy films in Cali before, so I sorta know my way around a set but I don't know where to get any of it.

MetalAlien

Banned
I have a Sony Xdcam EX3. I have always made little short films (home movies is a better term). I made a fan film about John Carpenters the Thing last year, took about 5 months because of all the creatures I had to build. This year we are making Terminators Vs Aliens which is going to be a friggen HUGE build since I am making all the props full size.

This is our Thing fan film.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=heavymetalalien#g/c/7B182BE0F39D4863

You can see the crude beginnings of my work on the Terminator. Already well past this point. I should be casting the skull by the end of the month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ekfIEacHY

This is my camera. Coming very soon there will be purpose built prosumer cameras using large sensors like the VDSLRs I will probably pick one of those up. I edit using Sony Vegas pro8, I want to get After Effects later this year. Pretty much anyone serious about making shorts or fan films will need After Effects sooner or later.

ex3_wes1.jpg

MetalAlien

Banned
Thraktor said:
Articles, Tutorials, Tips & Tricks, etc.

Which “Video DSLR” to buy? - philipbloom.net
A great starter guide to the pros and cons of the different video-capable DSLRs out there, essential reading if you're looking into buying one of them. Philip Bloom's blog itself is also well worth reading for news and articles on video DSLRs.

Phil is a great guy even though he is getting more mainstream and less indy he still seems very grounded. I entered one of his first video contests he always spent the time to answer questions and talk to you. I didn't win of course but Phil always seemed to like my entries, he would spotlight them and so forth.

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/bloomcompo2/videos/2021795

He recently spent a lot of time out at Skywalker ranch showing Lucas and the others how well the VDSLRs shoot video.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not trying to be that guy, but I actually made a thread about this a while back, that's been floating around the front page for a while now.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196987

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
It's nice to finally see a thread on this. I'm looking forward to seeing more of GAF's film work.

I've posted about this before, but it's the most recent thing I've been involved with.

The Adventures of Dino Girl.

Click here to watch.

23uzcdg.jpg

Wispy, I actually recently commented in the other thread about this. I'll just post it here.

"I finally got around to watching your short... and damn that was incredible man. You shot that with the HV30? Is there anyway you can post a picture of your setup? How'd you get that look? Also I love the music selection, Jonsi and sigur ros in general are amazing."

MetalAlien

Banned
I loved Dino Girl BTW. :)

EDIT: this is the last picture I've taken of the Terminator skull sculpt. Still a ways to go for sure.

thead_6_2.jpg

Thraktor

msdstc said:
Not trying to be that guy, but I actually made a thread about this a while back, that's been floating around the front page for a while now.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196987

Wow, spectacular failure on my part not to notice that being on the front page recently. Sorry about that. In my (partial) defense, I'm going to blame the new GAF search; your thread came up when I searched for 'filmmakers', but it said the last post was in 2007, so I didn't pay it much attention.

I only made the thread because I didn't think there was any other filmmaking thread around, so I'd be happy to ask a mod to lock this one, and we could move discussion back over to yours if you'd prefer.

I absolutely love this. It's like a moving Wispy Scoundrel photo! :D

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Thraktor said:
Wow, spectacular failure on my part not to notice that being on the front page recently. Sorry about that. In my (partial) defense, I'm going to blame the new GAF search; your thread came up when I searched for 'filmmakers', but it said the last post was in 2007, so I didn't pay it much attention.

I only made the thread because I didn't think there was any other filmmaking thread around, so I'd be happy to ask a mod to lock this one, and we could move discussion back over to yours if you'd prefer.

I absolutely love this. It's like a moving Wispy Scoundrel photo! :D

Nah its' not a big deal, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the other thread. Anything to revive the film talk is always good. I expected that thread to take off a little more than it did, but either way it's always nice to get some good tips/ideas/feedback and whatnot.

MetalAlien

Banned
This is an example of the large sensor camcorders that will be coming out fairly soon.

http://www.dvinfo.net/news/sony-develops-an-interchangeable-lens-hd-camcorder.html

It will have a limited supply of interchangeable lenses but what is important is it will have a Super 35mm "sized" sensor. The same size that is in the 7d and the Red One. Of course there is a lot more to making great video than just the sensor size but the whole reason the VDSLRs are so exciting is the large sensors.

Hopefully it won't have some of the downsides of the DSLRs either like aliasing.

Panasonic is also making a relatively cheap video camera with a large sensor, so it looks like the window in which the DSLRs are the sensor kings is closing fast.

Panasonic AG-AF100 4/3" HD Camera

Huge thread over at DVI info.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/476628-panasonic-ag-af100-4-3-hd-camera.html

MetalAlien

Banned
Yea get the 550 (T2i) way cheaper and basically the same. Although I have heard the 550 overheats easy when in video mode. Might want to check into that first.

These guys here are GREAT for cheap film making tips. I just love these guys. Salsa your flor short reminded me of them actually. Nice.

http://takezer0.com/

Salsa

MetalAlien said:
These guys here are GREAT for cheap film making tips. I just love these guys. Salsa your flor short reminded me of them actually. Nice.

http://takezer0.com/

Yep, those guys are great.

Flor is a friend`s project that actually won him a scholarship on the biggest film school of the country. I was just involved in some aspects. Really liked how it turned out, a lot of things expressed in just 1 minute.

There`s some more recent projects of mine that are currently rotating on Tv. I need to talk to the channel to see if i can upload them to youtube when they cease rotation.

orioto

Good Art™
MetalAlien said:
Yea get the 550 (T2i) way cheaper and basically the same. Although I have heard the 550 overheats easy when in video mode. Might want to check into that first.

Unfortunatly i have to confirm that. It overheats a lot. it's not done for long shootings for sure. I think it's good to use this kind of tool for what it does well. And due to slow autofocus, it's not that good for reporting thing. But for prepared or short shots with good editing after, it can be great.

As i posted it in the Photo thread, here is some things i did with it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/oriotoMA

But you won't see the pretty colors it can do, cause my goal is mainly to achieve an old film look. That's what is great with those toys. The lens and picture treatment can have a really film like aspect.

MetalAlien said:

Whoa, you're a GAFfer?! I watched this just last week, when we start production on our Lovecraft-inspired film I'm gonna use some of your tricks--very resourceful!

Anyways, I'm in support of this being the "official" thread, as long as the OP gets updated with stuff we add.

My love: free screenwriting software that actually has a pretty robust production area: http://www.celtx.com

MetalAlien

Banned
I signed up in the 90s, old school GAF here. :D Thanks for watching! Be sure to post your movie when done. I love to watch this stuff!

Thraktor

I've added some links into the OP. I'll try to keep it updated as promptly as I reasonably can.

orioto said:
Unfortunatly i have to confirm that. It overheats a lot. it's not done for long shootings for sure. I think it's good to use this kind of tool for what it does well. And due to slow autofocus, it's not that good for reporting thing. But for prepared or short shots with good editing after, it can be great.

I think that's a really important point when considering a DSLR for video; it really does depend on what you're using it for. Autofocus in particular is practically unusable on most video DSLRs, with the exception of the GH1. For what I'm planning on doing it's not an issue, as I would want to focus manually anyway, but if autofocus is a necessity, then either a GH1 or dedicated videocamera would be the way to go.

Regarding the 7D vs 550D, while I haven't used the 7D, I'd personally say to go with the 550D and spend the extra cash on lenses or audio gear. They both produce amazing quality video (the difference in video quality between the two is pretty much non-existant, to be honest), so the extra lenses or audio gear would make a much bigger difference to your productions.

So, can anyone give me a rundown on the Canon HV series? I'm assuming HV40 is newer than 20? Is it really just an updated platform or do they have different intended uses (consumer vs. professional)? Thanks.

Just about to register two full length scripts in the next couple of months. Big achievement on my personal "fucking do this" list. :D

Honestly, the more I use it, the more I love green screen. There are so many options to go with it and I try to use it as much as possible. Anyone else have love for digital assets?

MetalAlien

Banned
Sorry I've never used the HV series Snrub.

Green screen I've used. All the stop motion crawling head stuff from part 4 of the Thing is green screen. Plus there is a scene in the movie where I play a part with myself (no one else would do it), there is a green screen shot in there.

All the Terminators and Aliens will be chroma key in our next movie.. We are doing full size rod puppets.

GREAT example of what can be done with green screen here. This whole fan film is just one example after another.

Gremlins fan film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REGCV6z3VkM

making of special
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvBVFv-7LM

Animator

Just got my t2i yesterday and I am in love with it!

Man I wish these dslr's were out 5 years ago when I was in art school.

orioto

Good Art™
Animator said:
Man I wish these dslr's were out 5 years ago when I was in art school.

This

I'm going to film some concert of a symphonic ensemble this week (rehearsal tonight and real thing in a classy place friday). Big ensemble with 50 musicians. I go with the 550d, without any tripod or monopod. I only hope the light is not to lame and i can come close to the musicians without being yelled at.

Okay, so while OT was shut down, I got a bunch of questions to ask for you guys :)

I'm looking to buy the HV40: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=597424&is=REG&A=details&Q=

That's a great price and only lasts till the end of the month. Does anyone have a resource on good cameras for $800-1200? With the HV40 at $650, I could use the extra money to buy cleaning supplies and a few other "necessary" accessories, but I want to make sure I am getting the best camera for my money. Any recommendations? I'm not really interested in a DSLR.

I recently checked out a review of the HV40 on camcorderinfo.com and thought it got great reviews, there are better cameras available now four around $1000: Panasonic HDC-TM3000. There's also the Canon HF S100.

Any ideas or resources or people's experience? I'm so nervous about this shit, it's ridiculous. Also, there are a number of cameras that write directly to flash/HDD memory as opposed to tape. Is this taboo for filmmaking? Advantages/disadvantages? Camcorderinfo.com doesn't seem directly aimed at filmmakers, so I'm not sure what to take from their reviews...

Some great sites: Film Riot - Good resource for DIY filmmaking, including tutorials and reviews.

Freddiew on Youtube (a gaffer, did the MW Frozen Crossing vids, his second youtube site has tutorials/making of

element

I'm not really interested in a DSLR.
Why aren't you interested in DSLR? The flexibility and quality is really unmatched in any prosumer camera right now.

Hell, Hollywood is starting to take notice of the DSLR cameras from Canon. The season finale of House MD was filmed with Canon Mark II 5D. Video features are pretty much identical for the T2i/550D, even though it isn't a full frame camera. Buying a T2i a couple lenses really puts in a different league of film maker then getting a consumer HD camera.

The only problem with the Canon DSLR is the video length, which is 12 clips. This is due to tariffs in the EU and the camera would be categorized as a 'video' camera.

I'm saving my pennies up for a T2i, but they are super difficult to find right now.

element said:
Why aren't you interested in DSLR? The flexibility and quality is really unmatched in any prosumer camera right now.
Hell, Hollywood is starting to take notice of the DSLR cameras from Canon. The season finale of House MD was filmed with Canon Mark II 5D. Video features are pretty much identical for the T2i/550D, even though it isn't a full frame camera. Buying a T2i a couple lenses really puts in a different league of film maker then getting a consumer HD camera.
The only problem with the Canon DSLR is the video length, which is 12 clips. This is due to tariffs in the EU and the camera would be categorized as a 'video' camera.
I'm saving my pennies up for a T2i, but they are super difficult to find right now.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to cameras so feel free to educate me (not being sarcastic here :D) but I'm really basing my opinion on two Film Riot reviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt-RoIs8eMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58bF-DfCx8

I don't have any interest in still images, but if a DSLR can do video better than a similarly priced camcorder, and can also be accessorized the same way in the future, then yeah, I'd buy one.

Educate me!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Finally shot something for the first time in forever and edited it. It felt good to kind of push through the block, now I'm hoping I get more motivated and ideas start pouring in.

Hopefully once I get my 35mm adapter I can expand on what I've been doing.

thatbox

Banned
I just took a cross country trip and used a custom firmware on an old Canon point and shoot mounted on a tripod in the backseat to gather a frame every five seconds for an eventual timelapse video. My problem now is editing all the frames - I need to straighten and crop them all to account for slight variations in the camera's position to ensure consistent framing, and I need to push and pull a few hours worth of bright day and dark night shots. Is there a better way to do this than just running Photoshop batch scripts on thousands upon thousands of photos? I have a 2007 C2D Mac laptop and a new Phenom II X4 PC desktop available to run software. I took a look at iMovie, and while it seems to be able to do the cropping, it doesn't have arbitrary rotation or the level adjustment capability I need. What would you guys use for this that is preferably free or cheap?

element

DSLR will provide the most flexibility in what you are shooting.

The key is the ability to swap out lenses. Now lenses are a lot of cash, but even the kit lenses will get the job done to start.

There are a couple cons to DSLR shooting. Clip length is fixed to 12 minutes, focusing takes some practice, and you will probably want an shotgun mic or an external audio recorder.

I'd check out vimeo and search for 550D or T2i to look at what people are filming with that camera.

For $850 for the body and kit lens, it is pretty amazing.

http://www.vimeo.com/9784511
http://www.vimeo.com/10878737

Hey filmmaking Gaf! I'm going to be starting as a film student in the fall, and while I've worked on a couple class projects, and watched a ton of great movies recently, I haven't really put together any short films myself. I'd really love to put one together over the summer. I've got a Canon HV40 and a brand new 15" i7 macbook pro.

Right now, I've only got iMovie on it, which I've tried, and seems all right, but not something I can do really serious work with. I'm having trouble deciding what to do about editing software though, as I'll have access to iMac's with Final Cut Studio on them starting in the fall. I don't really want to buy an editing software that I'll only use for a little while, but I can't afford to buy my own copy of FCS right now. Any recommendations?

Also, what do you guys do to brainstorm? I'm great at working with an idea once I know what it is, but I'm terrible at coming up with ideas.

orioto

Good Art™
Mr. Snrub said:
I'm a complete newb when it comes to cameras so feel free to educate me (not being sarcastic here :D) but I'm really basing my opinion on two Film Riot reviews: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt-RoIs8eMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58bF-DfCx8

I don't have any interest in still images, but if a DSLR can do video better than a similarly priced camcorder, and can also be accessorized the same way in the future, then yeah, I'd buy one.

Educate me!

Don't take a DSLR. Those things aren't easy to handle and not really good at automatic things. I you want prettiness without too much knowledge, some HD cameras can do great.

orioto said:
Don't take a DSLR. Those things aren't easy to handle and not really good at automatic things. I you want prettiness without too much knowledge, some HD cameras can do great.

Hmm, thanks for the input. I'm a beginner when it comes to my own camera and would obviously want something "beginner friendly" but I don't want the camera to be dumbed down. Is there anything in particular I should avoid when looking for a camera? Haven't found too many resources w/recommendations.

MetalAlien

Banned
People are in love with DSLRs because of the large sensor. It allows them to get a shallow depth of field easier. That's when the background is soft and blurry while the subject is nice and sharp. They believe it looks closer to film.

What they don't always know is the large sensors are going pretty much to waste in resolution which causes side effects like aliasing and a soft overall image. True 1080p cameras like the Sony EX1 are actually sharper even though the sensors are a fraction of the size.

If you are a semi pro, after you kit out the DSRL to perform like an EX1 or something similar the price difference starts to shrink away. Casual users on the other hand get basically EX1-ish quality (with the bonus of shallow depth of field) on the cheap with a DSLR because their demands are not as strict.

There is a growing movement of users who do not necessarily care for the "film look" ALL the time so 24p and shallow DOF does not have to be used ALL the time. I personally find it annoying unless I am trying to be nostalgic.

EDIT: very nice Oatmeal, love the effects shots out the window. If it wasn't for the green screen I might not have spotted those.

Ecto311

Anyone know if there are sites for people with flip cams only or maybe cell phone cams similar to the flip? I have seen some videos like the district 9 shorts that looked like they were made with cheaper cams and then really worked over with crazy special effects after the fact. Are there forums or anything with info for that kind of work? Would be interesting to see what has been done with sub par equipment.

Baconmonk

I can't contribute much to this thread, but I'm definitely subscribed, and hope to learn what I can from here. Not so bold as to say I will ever do anything substantial with it, but I love film, and everything surrounding it, so the more I learn the better. I'm obsessed with different types of shots, angles, transitions, and editing styles, I just haven't taken the leap to try anything out on my own. I've taken a few random test shots with my iPhone, but I really need a tripod, and a real camera before I can really get serious with it (a couple purchases I hope to make by the end of the year). Not even sure if I have enough cohesive ideas for a film, but the idea of trying it out makes me giddy, and I'm always coming up with new ideas for certain shots of things I'll see in my daily routine, I guess getting out there and trying things would be the next logical step.

Any suggestions for decent free/cheap editing software?

It's nice to finally see a thread on this. I'm looking forward to seeing more of GAF's film work.

I've posted about this before, but it's the most recent thing I've been involved with.

Click here to watch.

23uzcdg.jpg

This was pretty awesome. I love the way the lighting and color looked, and the music was perfect. Overall pretty fantastic job there man.

Bit-Bit

MetalAlien said:
Sorry I've never used the HV series Snrub.

Green screen I've used. All the stop motion crawling head stuff from part 4 of the Thing is green screen. Plus there is a scene in the movie where I play a part with myself (no one else would do it), there is a green screen shot in there.

All the Terminators and Aliens will be chroma key in our next movie.. We are doing full size rod puppets.

GREAT example of what can be done with green screen here. This whole fan film is just one example after another.

Gremlins fan film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REGCV6z3VkM

making of special
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvBVFv-7LM

It amazes me what one man can do with today's technology. Someone give this guy the rights to make a Gremlin remake.

Baconmonk said:
I can't contribute much to this thread, but I'm definitely subscribed, and hope to learn what I can from here. Not so bold as to say I will ever do anything substantial with it, but I love film, and everything surrounding it, so the more I learn the better. I'm obsessed with different types of shots, angles, transitions, and editing styles, I just haven't taken the leap to try anything out on my own. I've taken a few random test shots with my iPhone, but I really need a tripod, and a real camera before I can really get serious with it (a couple purchases I hope to make by the end of the year). Not even sure if I have enough cohesive ideas for a film, but the idea of trying it out makes me giddy, and I'm always coming up with new ideas for certain shots of things I'll see in my daily routine, I guess getting out there and trying things would be the next logical step.

You're pretty much the same as me :) I have filmmaker friends and have helped them on the writing side of things, but never been directly involved in production or direction myself and am going to take the plunge this summer. I'm hoping to take care of that first step (camera) this week!

MetalAlien said:
People are in love with DSLRs because of the large sensor. It allows them to get a shallow depth of field easier. That's when the background is soft and blurry while the subject is nice and sharp. They believe it looks closer to film.
What they don't always know is the large sensors are going pretty much to waste in resolution which causes side effects like aliasing and a soft overall image. True 1080p cameras like the Sony EX1 are actually sharper even though the sensors are a fraction of the size.
If you are a semi pro, after you kit out the DSRL to perform like an EX1 or something similar the price difference starts to shrink away. Casual users on the other hand get basically EX1-ish quality (with the bonus of shallow depth of field) on the cheap with a DSLR because their demands are not as strict.
There is a growing movement of users who do not necessarily care for the "film look" ALL the time so 24p and shallow DOF does not have to be used ALL the time. I personally find it annoying unless I am trying to be nostalgic.

So, what's all this I read about using a 35mm filter to get that soft look? Is that directly related at all?

I think I'll just go with the HV40. I feel there are enough accessories I can acquire as I get more used to filming and want to do something more professional.

EDIT: very nice Oatmeal, love the effects shots out the window. If it wasn't for the green screen I might not have spotted those.

Yeah, same here--looked very clean!

thatbox

Banned
MetalAlien said:

What they don't always know is the large sensors are going pretty much to waste in resolution which causes side effects like aliasing and a soft overall image.
This is kind of silly. There's much more to DSLRs than shallow DoF, and in any case the main benefit of larger sensors is better low-light performance. Aside from that, you've got interchangeable lenses, phenomenal still capability, familiarity with a system, etc. etc. I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that shallow depth of field makes things "look closer to film" before - the most important thing to looking like film is sticking to 24FPS. Perhaps movie DoPs are prone to using NDFs and shooting wide open to achieve shallower DoF but that's more an artistic choice than a product of the equipment.

I also don't understand why you think that larger sensors downsampling to 1080p cause aliasing or soft images - downsampling is precisely the way many antialiasing algorithms work.

MickD

I have a HF200

Here's an implosion of a sports stadium - http://vimeo.com/10845697

Also have some skate footage/shorts/music video w/ wide angle lens.

I'm a film student at a good school. :p

I'm keeping the gnarly stuff off Vimeo for now.

MetalAlien

Banned
thatbox said:
This is kind of silly. There's much more to DSLRs than shallow DoF, and in any case the main benefit of larger sensors is better low-light performance. Aside from that, you've got interchangeable lenses, phenomenal still capability, familiarity with a system, etc. etc. I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that shallow depth of field makes things "look closer to film" before - the most important thing to looking like film is sticking to 24FPS. Perhaps movie DoPs are prone to using NDFs and shooting wide open to achieve shallower DoF but that's more an artistic choice than a product of the equipment.

I also don't understand why you think that larger sensors downsampling to 1080p cause aliasing or soft images - downsampling is precisely the way many antialiasing algorithms work.

These are known issues that have been discussed to death on video websites like DVI info http://www.dvinfo.net/forum That website is a mix of professional and hobbyist like myself.

Shallow depth of field is entirely the reason (changeable lenses too) the DSLRs are being used so much for video. It's an obsession, like 24p for some people.

I am reluctant to really get into this as this subject devours threads even among professionals. Even they are not really arguing that the problems exist they argue more about whether it's worth the trade off to use DSRLs.

Even the low light gain of the large sensors is not as great as you would think. I've read as much as an 8th of the sensor data is simply thrown away in video mode. The giant sensor of the 5D for example can actually lose to a 3 chip 2/3s inch sensor video camera. Sensors a fraction of the size of the 5D.

EDIT: just to give a random quote to show you I'm not making it up.

quick google search for alaising 5d

http://www.vimeo.com/7590690

This is why it can't truly compete with even the most basic of prosumer camcorders. It can be an incredible digital video cinema camera if you "make" it work for you. But there are some shots that you simply can't shoot - including this one you stumbled upon. I'm personally awaiting Red Scarlet still. Until then, the Canon 5D/7D are the best thing out there for the price and size. But if you can't afford the shock and awe of surprise thow away shots, I'd say a 35mm adapter on EX1/EX3 is a more reliable way to go.

EDIT2:

act excited!

I am VERY excited Salsa. :)

element

all this depth of field talk, but what you really mean is the bokeh. An effect that really can only be achievement with certain lenses. Which gives a very distinct look that typical consumer level HD can't.

There are other things that are nice about DSLR like low light performance, which is huge since buying lighting costs a lot of money. Being able to pump up the ISO to get the 'look' you want is pretty nice.

Here are Pros and Cons for DSLR filming:
Pros
Quality level on par with cameras $10k or more (lens dependent)
Interchangeable lenses
Great low light control
Great support and accessories (Canon has tons of stuff out there)

Cons
Audio can be a bitch (most people record using a Zoom H4n and mix in post)
Good lenses aren't cheap (Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is $1100)
Learning curve for focus
Body built for photos, not filming (buy a monopod or a grip. i personally hate camcorders for holding though)

The gear being built just for DSLR film making is really getting hot. Lots of the challenges are being removed via addons by smart comapnies. One example is D|Focus focus mount, which makes focusing a lot easier.

Of course no equipment will make poorly framed or constructed shots better. There is also editing, color correction, and post production. Learn FCP/Premiere and After Effects.

MetalAlien, you are comparing something like the T2i kit at $900 to Sony EX3 at $8,320 or the EX1 at $6299. Those are in such a different market.

MetalAlien

Banned
element said:
Of course no equipment will make poorly framed or constructed shots better. There is also editing, color correction, and post production. Learn FCP/Premiere and After Effects.

Absolutely, I wouldn't want this to become Prosumer Vs DSLRs as that is not the point at all. Just don't think the DSLR means instant pro quality video. Have fun, and shoot more better. :)

EDIT: I see the point you added about the price. Depends on who you talk to. Hobbyist like us, that is a big deal. Pros not so much even more so when they feel the video they get is not as useful.

Top Bottom