• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Review Thread Dood

OmegaDL50

It's not a typical game you buy a $400 system for :)

Well sure...I'd understand that. Hell my first PS4 game was Diablo III and Driveclub.

Although I'm likely to get more mileage out of Disgaea 5.

Disgaea is probably one of the worst games for a person with OCD-like tendancies to have. It's never enough maxing one unit, or having one level 300 legendary.

Hell the item caps now raised to 999 and Items can now be promoted (Common to Rare, and Rare to Legendary) and getting to the 100th floor in Item World doesn't mean that item is maxed out, you can start that same Item all over again at the first floor and keep it's progress, basically doing infinite item world runs on your favorite item over and over.

It's absolutely crazy.

In fact I actively avoided item hunting in previous games because of the three different ranks of Common, Rare, and Legendary. Now that I can just grab a common item of everything and naturally build it up into a Legendary means I can have a Legendary of every single item in the game, even the basic swords and junk.

It's a terrible
awesome
burden
time
for me.

Heh, I bought Disgaea 3 with my PS3.

I should buy a PS4 at some point.

The bundles are unappealing (I'm buying it for an SRPG so that should tell everybody why).

Plus I think I'd have to swap out the HDD from the beginning since 500GB is not much and I'm probably going to buy more digitally for this gen than the last.

It's tough to get motivated but hey come next week I should find plenty motivation!

Kouriozan

It's not a typical game you buy a $400 system for :)

I bought a Vita 1000 just for Disgaea 3 Vita.
I got unlucky and my first Vita had some problem

Not announced for the West yet I guess.
I took a screenshot of the line I was talking about, is that the famous Mura Effect?
adqy.jpg

Then when I got a PSTV only for Disgaea 4 Vita
(at first since I kept and I'll keep this one for some time)
Looks like I'm a Disgaea "fanboy" x)
By the way I was really pissed with the whitelist, Japan and US could play Disgaea 3 Vita on PSTV but not Europe T-T

cj_iwakura

Disgaea 3 was the first game I owned for my PS3 too, also inFamous and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

But I was a late adopter for the PS3. I got mine in 2011, so a bunch of good games were already out by that time.

I was too. My starters were BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Disgaea 3, and Rock Band 2.

I'm in no hurry for a PS4, though. My PS3 backlog is massive. By the time I'm done, maybe.

OmegaDL50

Then when I got a PSTV only for Disgaea 4 Vita
(at first since I kept and I'll keep this one for some time)
Looks like I'm a Disgaea "fanboy" x)
By the way I was really pissed with the whitelist, Japan and US could play Disgaea 3 Vita on PSTV but not Europe T-T

Disgaea 3 Vita did not work on the US PSTV for a very long time. It wasn't until like 3 or 4 months ago did they finally patch it to work.

I don't own it but I do follow the news for the series. I wonder if it's still worthwhile to actually picking up Disgaea 3 Vita when I'm on the verge of picking up the 5th game.

cj_iwakura

Disgaea 3 Vita did not work on the US PSTV for a very long time. It wasn't until like 3 or 4 months ago did they finally patch it to work.

I don't own it but I do follow the news for the series. I wonder if it's still worthwhile to actually picking up Disgaea 3 Vita when I'm on the verge of picking up the 5th game.

I haven't been interested in a portable iteration since Disgaea 1's. Etna Mode was great. Never been interested in any of the additions in 2-4.

weird disgaea 3 was also one of my first ps3 games too...

my first entry into disgaea too, played some 1 and 2 after that, still haven't played 4...

Kouriozan

My first Disgaea was 1 on DS.
Yeah it was a terrible port but I really loved it, and my first console Disgaea was 3, too.
Then I bought every main title including DD2.
Personally I would be against, I wouldn't risk getting a burn out.
I'll just unlock every classes I can in the demo and wait/play something else until 5 release. The EU delay hurts even more.

OmegaDL50

Well I own the console versions of every Disgaea release.

The main reason why I picked up the Vita version of D4 is because of all of the DLC was included with the game. I really didn't want to spend $90+ to have all of Disgaea 4's DLC, and there was that ridiculously priced $50 Complete DLC pack for the console version of Disgaea 3.

I just wanted a content complete version of the game.

Disgaea 3 has one of my favorite mechanics that was never carried over in Disgaea 4 or DD2, which is Combo Skills. They partially return in Disgaea 5 but are called Union Skills now.

In Disgaea 3 for example Mao's Finger Blast and Almaz' Spinning Sword Slash when used at the same turn on the same target would combine into Spinning Blast / Finger Sword Slash (depending who went first), Skill Combos gave full mana and exp to both characters. They also did more damage rather than the two skills being used individually.

The first 3 weapon skills for all weapon types and some unique attacks could all be combination skills in Disgaea.

Disgaea 5's has Union Attacks which are similar in that two characters do a combination special attack on the enemy and both characters get rewarded EXP and Mana if the attack kills the enemy, however they are limited to a specific set of skills for the main cast. I don't believe generics have any Union Skills, which makes them somewhat less effective as what could be done in Disgaea 3.

Still having special team attacks skills in some form is better than none at all.

I kinda dig the music in the demo that plays in the main hub. Are there similar songs with lyrics in the other Disgaea games? I would like to finally start with Disgaea 1 and work my way up to the new game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I kinda dig the music in the demo that plays in the main hub. Are there similar songs with lyrics in the other Disgaea games? I would like to finally start with Disgaea 1 and work my way up to the new game.

Since for the most part the stories are not connected outside of Disgaea 1 & D2, there is no reason to go back and play the old ones unless you really want to. As honestly if you try to do that you might go burning yourself out on the series. lol

Think I'm gonna jump back in with this one. I played a bit of first one, and then got hooked in Disgaea 2, put in a good 90+ hours.

cj_iwakura

Disgaea 3 has an insanely catchy one. And Disgaea 2's OP is the best.

Kouriozan

Both Vita Disgaea are at 19€ whereas 4 Revisited is 49€ at retail.
Seriously tempted to get 3 Detention again but digital now >.<
But yeah, I'll play 5 first and keep an eye for an eventual sales of the Vita games.

I agree about 3's opening movie and hub music being the best, too.

Teletraan1

Banned
I loved the demo. I never got to play 4 because my PS3 was long gone by that time. This game seemed like a huge step up in just about everything from 3. Definitely going to pick it up when I get paid Dood.

Since for the most part the stories are not connected outside of Disgaea 1 & D2, there is no reason to go back and play the old ones unless you really want to. As honestly if you try to do that you might go burning yourself out on the series. lol
Yeah I will most likely take some time off between each game to prevent that. I fear that if I start with 5 and then want to play the old games I will miss all the new mechanics and improvements they introduced in the new ones. People also say that Disgaea 1 has the best story so I gotta see whats up with that :)
Disgaea 3 has an insanely catchy one. And Disgaea 2's OP is the best.
Awesome

cj_iwakura

Yeah I will most likely take some time off between each game to prevent that. I fear that if I start with 5 and then want to play the old games I will miss all the new mechanics and improvements they introduced in the new ones. People also say that Disgaea 1 has the best story so I gotta see whats up with that :)

Awesome

Disgaea 1's plot is the strongest, but I like 2's the most overall. It has the best arc.
And a nice romantic ending.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Hi guys,
I'm totally new to the disgaea serie and i'd even of the genre of tactical rpg, but I played the demo and really liked what I played so far. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if I have to play previous entries of the or if you think I can jump in at this episode.

that's what's restraining me from pre ordering the game but I'm really enclined to.

Ps: I don't know what to expect from this game and I can't wrap my head around what I read about this game so I'd like your opinion about how you think the serie is and what you think I should know before playing it.

Thanks in advance and as english is not my native language I'd be happy to rephrase if I'm unclear in some of my questions.

I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me if I have to play previous entries of the or if you think I can jump in at this episode.

that's what's restraining me from pre ordering the game but I'm really enclined to.

There's nothing in Disgaea 5 that you'll need to have played 1-4 to understand, story-wise. You're fine playing Disgaea 5 as your first entry.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
I thought the theme music in the Hub was cringe-worthy. Not the music itself, but the singing. I love absolutely everything else about the demo though!

TIMES ARE CHANGING
PEOPLE SAY
I DON'T BUY IT
IN THE CORNER, OF MY HEART, IT'S ONLY GETTING DARKERRRRR
Can't wait for this game, only Disgaea can feel the darkness in my heart Atlus has left

desmax

TIMES ARE CHANGING
PEOPLE SAY
I DON'T BUY IT
IN THE CORNER, OF MY HEART, IT'S ONLY GETTING DARKERRRRR
Can't wait for this game, only Disgaea can feel the darkness in my heart Atlus has left

DAY AFTER DAY I ROAM
SEARCHING FOR WHAAAAAAAAAAT
I HAVE A BUTTON

Can't wait, love the Disgaea series and the demo was absolutely fun, this month is gonna be insane, SW 4-II, Disgaea 5, Dragon Quest Heroes 5 and Tales of Zestria. Oh

OmegaDL50

Practically a week away from US release folks. A shame our European buddies got that one week delay.

Been playing Disgaea 4 Vita in the meantime while waiting for D5's retail release to arrive.

If the email thing holds true, NISA starts billing tomorrow and ships on Friday for the game to arrive by the Tuesday release date.

Fun times, Disgaea 5 is nearly here.

AttamisZero

Neo Member
Practically a week away from US release folks. A shame our European buddies got that one week delay.

Been playing Disgaea 4 Vita in the meantime while waiting for D5's retail release to arrive.

If the email thing holds true, NISA starts billing tomorrow and ships on Friday for the game to arrive by the Tuesday release date.

Fun times, Disgaea 5 is nearly here.

I got billed today for the limited edition so I shall be pacing back and forth on Tuesday waiting for my doorbell to ring.

OmegaDL50

I hope this game wont crash my ps4 like Disgaea D2 occasionally did when I went into the item world for long periods of time.

D2 was basically pushing the PS3 in fairly hard in terms of mechanics. It had all sorts of technical issues. The Item World issue you speak of was actually addressed in a patch.

The Vita versions of D3 and D4 also had significant cases of slowdown on any map that had 12 units or more, especially on the large maps every 10th level in an Item World, rotating the map and moving units would cause the framerate to drop to a crawl.

The PS4 is a generation ahead of the PS3, and substantially more capable than the Vita is. I doubt you will have have problems with D5. The Japanese version very stable and runs silky smooth and this experience hasn't changed with my time on with the US Demo.

Uthred

Unlike serious Strategy RPGs that use mechanics such as permanent character death or complex and mature story writing. Disgaea is more about being ridiculously over the top.

While Disgaea is as you said primarily a comedy the better mainline entries do have some solid moments of pathos (I'd also question how many serious SRPG's actually manage complex and/or mature story writing but thats a separate discussion)

This sudden unexplained delay and being completely silent on the US DLC schedule. It's just weirdness all around.

I really hate their extended DLC schedules, the DLC is generally too short to make use of on its own so I like to wait for it all to come out and then play through again, but it takes so long to come out that Im seldom in the mood for another playthrough at that point (and then you also have to wonder if buying it all along or waiting for a mega DLC pack which may or may not come is a better idea). While I like to support the series they do a good job of convincing me not to buy DLC (apart from Zetta of course, because Zetta)

OmegaDL50

While Disgaea is as you said primarily a comedy the better mainline entries do have some solid moments of pathos (I'd also question how many serious SRPG's actually manage complex and/or mature story writing but thats a separate discussion)

I really hate their extended DLC schedules, the DLC is generally too short to make use of on its own so I like to wait for it all to come out and then play through again, but it takes so long to come out that Im seldom in the mood for another playthrough at that point (and then you also have to wonder if buying it all along or waiting for a mega DLC pack which may or may not come is a better idea). While I like to support the series they do a good job of convincing me not to buy DLC (apart from Zetta of course, because Zetta)

D5's Mega DLC pack basically is it's Season Pass. All of the content is already known for it. So it's not like some other Season Passes with mystery content that may or may not live up to it's advertised planning.

It was 4000 Yen in Japan which equates to about $35 USD. Of course there's no telling what NISA will actually price it in the west for US and EU.

If it's priced higher than the Japanese Season pass then I don't think it's worth it.

For example NISA has a history of marking up the US / EU DLC pricing to the same numbers as the Japanese DLC pricing.

Case in point 300 Yen for Disgaea D2 characters is equivalent to $2.50. NISA simply sees the 300 number and makes it $3.00 / &#8364;3.00 instead.

So if 4000 Yen in Japan becomes $40.00, we pretty much know NISA is not doing a proper price conversion is simply marking it up for the Western Market.

I don't think there is any current season pass for a non-AAA game that costs $40 anyways, so NISA really can't justify a pricing scheme like this.

But anyways as for the complete content included in the Season Pass according to the Japanese release.

Wave 1
Disgaea D2 Chapter: Laharl, Etna, Flonne, Sicily
Laharl-chan

Wave 2
Disgaea 4 Chapter: Valvatorez, Fenrich, Artina
Fuka Chapter: Fuka, Desco, Emizel
NISA

Wave 3
Disgaea 3 Chapter: Mao, Raspberyl, Salvatore
Almaz Chapter: Almaz, Sapphire
Metallica (The Witch and the Hundred Knight)

Wave 4
Disgaea 2 Chapter: Adell, Rozalin, Axel

Wave 5
Makai Kingdom Chapter: Zetta, Pram, Peta
La Pucelle Demon Overlord Priere Chapter: Demon Overlord Priere

Each of the "Chapters" are mini-episodes that consist of 3 battles each and the there is

Pleinair, Toro, and, Kuro were bonus additions, but I don't think the Playstation Cat mascots are going to be released in the west. There was some PS Plus related content, three extra classes, Female Ninja, Female Angel, and Sorceress, but these are not PS Plus for the West apparently - http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/08/06/new-disgaea-5-features-detailed-dlc-schedule-confirmed/

So to summarize.

8 Mini Chapters of 3 Maps / Battles Each, with 26 Characters, and 3 Bonus Classes (28 Characters IF Toro and Kuro are released in the West), It's a fair amount of content, but I hope NISA is reasonable with their pricing scheme. If not, I'll be waiting for a discount.

Also I think it should be fair to mention the DLC Chapters and Characters are usable immediately upon buying them. They are not delegated to Post-Game only content like in the previous games, so the content you do buy you have access to right away the next time you load your save.

I've been looking for a mellow (ie turn based) single player game with a deep progression system, so I downloaded the Disgaea 5 demo. Gameplay definitely fits the bill, I love it. But the art style and voices are killing me here. Turned down the voices, thank god for that option. The art style is really not doing anything for me though. Like Killian's outfit... special.
Anyway, I'm sure I will end up loving this game. Glad there's this SRPG option right now. Just the antidote I needed after the heart-pounding intensity of Bloodborne and MGSV.

Oh yeah, forgot to add, never played a Disgaea game before. FFT is the only SRPG that I can remember playing. One of the few games I've replayed more than once.

Calabi

I've been looking for a mellow (ie turn based) single player game with a deep progression system, so I downloaded the Disgaea 5 demo. Gameplay definitely fits the bill, I love it. But the art style and voices are killing me here. Turned down the voices, thank god for that option. The art style is really not doing anything for me though. Like Killian's outfit... special.
Anyway, I'm sure I will end up loving this game. Glad there's this SRPG option right now. Just the antidote I needed after the heart-pounding intensity of Bloodborne and MGSV.

Oh yeah, forgot to add, never played a Disgaea game before. FFT is the only SRPG that I can remember playing. One of the few games I've replayed more than once.

Cardinal rule, if in trouble throw someone, it always works.

aitakute

This is awesome. Started playing the game today. Really love all the upgrades in this game compare to last games. I love the skits like system in the base just like in those Tales of games. The quests are fun too. Kiria is much better of a character than I thought. Those DLC characters are kinda overpower in the beginning though

This is awesome. Started playing the game today. Really love all the upgrades in this game compare to last games. I love the skits like system in the base just like in those Tales of games. The quests are fun too. Kiria is much better of a character than I thought. Those DLC characters are kinda overpower in the beginning though

Wait, you have the DLC characters?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What I'm getting from the reviews is that this is the best Disgaea battle system to date while the reviewers feel the characters and plot aren't as good as some of the previous ones (I'm guessing especialy 1).

So any good beginners guides for this? I really enjoy the demo, and I'm doing the things the tutorials taught me, but I still don't feel like I'm playing well.

OmegaDL50

So any good beginners guides for this? I really enjoy the demo, and I'm doing the things the tutorials taught me, but I still don't feel like I'm playing well.

Mr. Volition guy. Thanks for the awesome Saints Row series to you and fellow staff.

To answer your question, I will be taking care of a tutorial for this game. I have written an extensive guide that covers most of the basic mechanics that will be included in the OT, I'm working on alongside with some very cool fellows on GAF.

If you have any questions at all in regards to game mechanics, how to make leveling efficient and the best means on how to progress through the game, please don't hesitate to ask any questions. I answer any gameplay related question you may have. I've put so much time in the Disgaea titles I feel like a walking encyclopedia of the games knowledge.

I will do my best to cover everything that I feel is necessary for a Disgaea player to know, and even advanced strategies. Look forward to that.

OR if you need information immediately, I can post a few starter hints and suggestions. Let me know, and I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Top Bottom