• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

szlifier

Neo Member
I just wanted to let you know I've done some work on that Quick Look filtering site

http://qlcrew.com

Other than some cosmetic changes:
  • Added TNTs - searchable by games played, staff and guests,
    both Twitch/Ustream and the site's archive links are available for them(click on the thumbnail for Twitch)
  • In addition to Youtube playlists and the on-site player, you can now download .m3u playlists of search results. Tip: WMP does pretty good job with streaming.
  • Text search for QLs - might be useful for getting all the Sleeping Dogs ones

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just wanted to let you know I've done some work on that Quick Look filtering site

both Twitch/Ustream and the site's archive links are available for them(click on the thumbnail for Twitch)
  • In addition to Youtube playlists and the on-site player, you can now download .m3u playlists of search results. Tip: WMP does pretty good job with streaming.

Great site. Only addition I'd like is just a huge alphabetical list of games covered. It would make it much easier to grab a look at a game you might not know there's a ql for.

Wow this is awesome.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I doubt they make it a huge priority. I'm just glad they spent the 350 bucks for a modified Vita, even if it is Japanese.

Giantbomb, or more specifically Drew and Vinny, do seem to care about quality in their videos. If theres a way to solve the interlacing issue, I'm sure they'll try and take their time to do it if the end result is better video.

They've gone out of their way in the past to do 60fps video on games they felt it was justified - I wouldn't be surprised if they put in the effort to solve the interlacing issue.

I doubt they make it a huge priority. I'm just glad they spent the 350 bucks for a modified Vita, even if it is Japanese.

Vinny mentioned the issue as something he will check out so I think they will try do what they can.

Giantbomb, or more specifically Drew and Vinny, do seem to care about quality in their videos. If theres a way to solve the interlacing issue, I'm sure they'll try and take their time to do it if the end result is better video.

They've gone out of their way in the past to do 60fps video on games they felt it was justified - I wouldn't be surprised if they put in the effort to solve the interlacing issue.

Indeed.

Unless it can't be solved without issues.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There is a link for that below the search form.

For convenience: http://qlcrew.com/?list

Oh god, look at all these games...

0237_7pqn4.gif

Time to sell your site to giantbomb for $2 billion.

demidar

I found a bug with your filter: Vinny has an exclude button. WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?! fix pls

That interlacing on the Vita video has got to be fixed.
It can be fixed during the encoding process if they know what they are doing. The big "but" to that is what their pipeline for that sort if thing is. I'm assuming they are running an automated process, in which case they would have to manually encode videos captured on the Vita, which would also naturally take longer due to deinterlacing. So it may not be worthwhile for them in the long run. All things considered the interlacing is not that bad; it could very easily be way worse.

tborsje

It can be fixed during the encoding process if they know what they are doing. The big "but" to that is what their pipeline for that sort if thing is. I'm assuming they are running an automated process, in which case they would have to manually encode videos captured on the Vita, which would also naturally take longer due to deinterlacing. So it may not be worthwhile for them in the long run. All things considered the interlacing is not that bad; it could very easily be way worse.

Why's there interlacing at all anyway? I would have though that that hardware modded Vita would just be dumping the video output of the Vita, and the Vita is progressive scan.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Why's there interlacing at all anyway? I would have though that that hardware modded Vita would just be dumping the video output of the Vita, and the Vita is progressive scan.

Its pipes it out through USB 2.0 and USB 2.0 apparently doesn't have enough bandwidth to output a 540p video so the trade off is either output 480x220 progressive, or 960x540 interlaced.

Quick Look EX: Dropchord (Ryan, with Patrick and Brian from Double Fine) 16:21.

Ryan at 11:05 -- "I also think this kind of game, musically driven like this with these kind of abstract visuals, it's just not being made."

Huh? These "techo with bright neon, faux-vector/visualizer graphics" games are a dime a dozen. Even the devs thought it was a joke at first, and then had an "Oh, you're serious" moment.

I mean, the game still looks like a lot of fun, but the style isn't exactly rare.

Eternia

It'll appear like we're pets fighting for the love of our owners but since I feel it's close to ready as I think it'll be (and I said I was going to do it for my own sake!), I did end up creating my version of a quick look filtering site. You can find it here at www.therandombox.ca/giantbomb/video-finder. It's slightly different than what szlifier has produced with the focus on roles of quick looks. It also has full platform information, personally tagged video data (single-player, co-op, multi-player, game room, flight club, etc) and a limited number of silly graphs!

You can follow my updates in the (lonely) Giantbomb API forum but I guess I'm going to be caught by the first-mover advantage.

Top Bottom