• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look Thread 2

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
The 3DS Capture Kits/Dev Kits have 2 large cables going from the 3DS to the kit where the game cart normally goes inside the unit (so right where the IR sensor is). There is no way they could fit the circle pad to one of those things. I work with those kits on a daily basis and while obviously super usefull they are also very clunky.

Edit: Thanks google! Here's an image:
1-600x450.jpg

Those two cables are such a heavy gauge that they add a lot of downward tension to the 3DS in your hands too. I figured out a way to balance it on my knee for the RE video where it stopped being an issue, but it's been kinda tough to play on in the past. Shame we can't get direct feed of the Circle Pad Pro in action, but outside of necessary coverage I'm kinda tempted to forget that thing exists.

Those two cables are such a heavy gauge that they add a lot of downward tension to the 3DS in your hands too. I figured out a way to balance it on my knee for the RE video where it stopped being an issue, but it's been kinda tough to play on in the past. Shame we can't get direct feed of the Circle Pad Pro in action, but outside of necessary coverage I'm kinda tempted to forget that thing exists.

It's OK: there'll be a revision with dual analogue soon enough. ;P

Really doubt it considering the number of Japanese games to make use of it. Also, it takes a seperate battery, do you really want the 3ds to have even less battery life?

Edit: Actually I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Either way pretty sure he means the 3DS will get a revision with two sticks. Which I doubt would worsen the battery, if anything I would think they'd try and deal with that in same way too with a revision.

Really doubt it considering the number of Japanese games to make use of it. Also, it takes a seperate battery, do you really want the 3ds to have even less battery life?

well... they could just put a bigger battery in the 3ds+ or whatever its gonna be called.

I didn't say it'd come out soon, maybe battery power will have (finally) gotten a bit better by time it does? Anyway, the amount of games that are using it is at the heart of why I believe a revision will incorporate dual analogue. If developers are lining up to use it, then it makes sense to shove it in the console. I know it's not a huge amount of people that are using it, but a) we don't know that much about major upcoming 3DS releases, do we? and b) it's a hell of a lot more than stuff like M+, WiiSpeak, the GBA wireless dongle, etc etc.

Jintor

Love Brad complaining about spatial awareness and the character's FOV in a survival horror game.

And also while the screen is covered in jam, which reduces it.

And also (quite probably) without the 3D effect on, which enhances it.

Handheld games, guys.

still relevant

Poyunch

The 3DS Capture Kits/Dev Kits have 2 large cables going from the 3DS to the kit where the game cart normally goes inside the unit (so right where the IR sensor is). There is no way they could fit the circle pad to one of those things. I work with those kits on a daily basis and while obviously super usefull they are also very clunky.

Edit: Thanks google! Here's an image:
1-600x450.jpg

fixed:
Vwhel.jpg

hamchan

I didn't say it'd come out soon, maybe battery power will have (finally) gotten a bit better by time it does? Anyway, the amount of games that are using it is at the heart of why I believe a revision will incorporate dual analogue. If developers are lining up to use it, then it makes sense to shove it in the console. I know it's not a huge amount of people that are using it, but a) we don't know that much about major upcoming 3DS releases, do we? and b) it's a hell of a lot more than stuff like M+, WiiSpeak, the GBA wireless dongle, etc etc.
I think there are already a decent amount of games using the CPP. RE:R, Monster Hunter, MGS3, Kid Icarus and Kingdom Hearts are all high profiles games too. I agree that the eventual 3DS revision has to have dual analogue unless Nintendo wants everyone to use the hideous CPP forever.

Haunted

Is it just me or does the Haunt ghost guide sound like Tim Schafer?

edit: oh, I should've kept watching instead of posting, Ryan mentions it a couple minutes later.

Rufus

The only reason the circle pad pro needs a battery at all is because of the way it interfaces with the 3DS (via IR, like a TV remote). Those controls, when built into the system, won't draw a significant amount of power.

Totally. When the developers mentioned doing stuff like that in this game I laughed out loud, but this completely random moment actually totally worked on me. That scene made me feel bad and I didn't even hit the button.
It's a really cheap way to do it though, unless it's avoidable. Why should a player feel bad about playing a ruthless ninja when there's no real alternative (besides turning the game off)? It's like those stupid yes/no questions in JRPGs that you have to answer with yes, or the game doesn't continue.

Enkidu

Are you really suggesting that adding a second circle pad and 2 shoulder buttons will reduce the battery life?

Riposte

On RE:R quick look:

He didn't really cover the gyro control, which replaces the second stick and frees up your thumb for the face buttons. You can do fine without either gyro and stick though, the game has a really good set of control options. (I also think the 3D, when adjusted in the menu, is pretty exceptional.)

I expect a lot of the inexplicable argument of "You shouldn't be playing this on a portable" in the bombcast since Brad seems a little down on it. Maybe he'll change his impression as he finishes it. I wonder if Patrick will play it because he likes old RE and liked the PSP Silent Hill game (right?). This game was a surprising (or unsurprising, really) omission from RE6 discussion last week.

Hey Brad, are you guys able to get direct footage off of a Vita?

Haunted

Wow, the head movement is awesome.
Yeah, head tracking really adds immersion, even when you only watch it. A real head moves just more organic than a twitchy mouselook or the stiff/robotic analogue aim.

A huge difference that any human automatically perceives.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, head tracking really adds immersion, even when you only watch it. A real head moves just more organic than a twitchy mouselook or the stiff/robotic analogue aim.

A huge difference that any human automatically perceives.
Wow, yeah. It just feels much more natural.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
Hey Brad, are you guys able to get direct footage off of a Vita?

A devkit Vita with an HDMI port exists, but time will tell whether those units will be available to press or not. No word from Sony yet. There's still a lot left to figure out regarding the Vita and how to cover it from a technical perspective.

A devkit Vita with an HDMI port exists, but time will tell whether those units will be available to press or not. No word from Sony yet.
Is it typical for a company to do that? I would imagine that would be something they would want to have locked in for the people that are going to be responsible for showing off their products.

Chuck

Still without luck
Wow, Drew's done pretty much everything. 3D modeling, Half Life 2 mods, tv commercials. A true renaissance man!

Check out this awesome Starcraft 2 trailer re-dub he did using stuff in his apartment!

And this cool looking cube thing.

cube.png

Top Bottom