• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GiantBomb Quick Look Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gexecuter said:
I wonder if they are even thinking of doing another endurance run, i wish they would just come out say that they are never doing another ER so that i won't get my hopes up.

Maybe they are waiting for the English language FF13?

infinityBCRT said:
I think for endurance run they should really look at games that today's gamers likely haven't played so very recent or best selling titles should be out of the question. Something like a Sierra adventure game or one of Kojima's lesser known games (Snatcher, Policenauts) would be great for the next endurance run... or Star Control 2 :D

Snatcher would be a bad idea because that may be indirectly encouraging piracy. The game is pretty hard to find. The Persona 4 Endurance Run was genius because it probably bolstered P4's sales. A lot of people went out and bought the game because of the Endurance Run. North American Sega CD copies of Snatcher are extremely rare - the few that are on Ebay start at $140.

That goes double for Policenauts because they'd have to use the translation patch just to play it. While I'm sure somebody on GiantBomb Staff would know how to apply that sort of thing, I've never really pegged them as the kind of site to openly talk about a subject like that - let alone glorify it through the medium of "Endurance Run".

Star Control 2 may be in the same "gray area, so they won't touch it" boat.

An Endurance Run I wouldn't mind seeing is back-to-back-to-back-to-back Metal Gear Solid. Ripe conversational material there.

I recall hearing that when Kojima was informed of the Policenauts translation, his reply was "no comment," which is apparently just what the translators wanted to hear. Not acknowledging the translation's existence was essentially giving it a green light, since his job means that acknowledging it would require him to put his fist down.

Also, I think Snatcher might be abandonware at this point.

Dizzy-4U

They are waiting for P5 obviously =/

I wouldn't mind a P3 FES endurance run though. It's also a pretty good game. Maybe the PSP version?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dizzy-4U said:
They are waiting for P5 obviously =/

I wouldn't mind a P3 FES endurance run though. It's also a pretty good game. Maybe the PSP version?

The original excuse for Endurance Run was to force themselves to play P4, and Vinny finished the original P3 back in the Gamespot days.

I'm not sure what they could do. I figure they need something long - which basically means JRPGs. They also need a game that they'll enjoy playing but has enough cultural dissonance that it freaks them out. P4 worked so well because of all the weird anime stuff that confused them (everything from the cross dressing beauty pageant to the weird bathhouse scene).

I'd almost suggest Metro 2033, just because it's a wacky Russian game... but I have a feeling that it'd be fairly boring to watch.

panda21

dcs black shark endurance run please.

i'm actually fairly sure jeff said they were never going to do another one - they will keep doing stuff like that but it won't necessarily be an endurance run as such, was what i understood of it

Kevtones

I'm honestly kind of enjoying Dante's Inferno... As much as it offended me to see the Divine Comedy be reworked for the T+A (tits & action) generation, it's pretty well-realized in the game.

Absol said:
Yeah that is very frustrating if that happens I have that on a few games as well man I hate that.

15r08dg.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Aaron

Been working the Alfeim gates in Bayonetta, so I share his pain. I saw the last enemy explode on my screen and it STILL FUCKING FAILED ME because I ran out of time.

Musan

I wonder if Ryan got the reviewer's guide when he received the game, because I remember on the Idle Thumbs podcast the guide was mentioned in reference to those trials actually.

watching that video i almost screamed "GIVE ME THE DAMN CONTROLLER" at the screen a number of times.

usually seeing something as frustrating as that kills my interest in a game pretty fast but i am unusually intrigued and want to play that game a lot more now. maybe i shall download the demo.

Danielsan

God I wish I could just take the fucking controller. :lol

I haven't played Dante's Inferno aside from the demo but it seemed to me that Ryan was really underutilizing his options. First of all, his scythe seemed to do a lot more damage + knock back so he really should have used it more when they little guys started showing signs of getting closer. Secondly, why not use magic attacks on the final big dude?
I remember from the demo that Dante has a pretty powerful ice dash that also knocks enemies back. Seemed like a perfect move to throw around.

That said, congrats Ryan! :lol

Musan said:
I wonder if Ryan got the reviewer's guide when he received the game, because I remember on the Idle Thumbs podcast the guide was mentioned in reference to those trials actually.

If you need a guide to play, let alone beat a game then it's poor game design. Reading the comments it seems he didn't use all his available options so I don't know what to think. Either way seemed like a dumb, irrelevant part of the game but hey that's just me.

That said, I had zero interest in playing this game prior to watching this and that hasn't changed.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
PandaPandaPanda said:
If you need a guide to play, let alone beat a game then it's poor game design.
The reviewer's guide isn't a walkthrough; it's a guide to reviewing the game — how to understand this and why you should take that into account as a reviewer et cetera.

It's basically a guide to why the game is super-awesome. :lol

Massa

Musan said:

Giantbomb bought this game at retail.

well i'm not a reviewer so I don't know what's in said guide but what I was referring to is if it's suggesting you go a certain path(ie certain amount of holy/unholy) whereas ryan himself went mostly unholy in the video and it still gives this much trouble-then that's poor design. I'm sure some people out there had no trouble beating that part in mostly one skill tree but still seemed kind of ridiculous. Either way personally I probably would have gone for a mix of the two trees personally but then again as already stated haven't played the game and still don't want to.

Aaron

PandaPandaPanda said:
If you need a guide to play, let alone beat a game then it's poor game design. Reading the comments it seems he didn't use all his available options so I don't know what to think. Either way seemed like a dumb, irrelevant part of the game but hey that's just me.
Ryan doesn't seem like he's really skilled at action games, but that's probably true for most of the people picking up DI. I think the problem isn't that this sort of trial is in the game, but that it's mandatory to progress. It should have been an optional challenge room, not a barrier in the way of a less skilled gamer.

People bitched to hell about GOW's turning spikes, when personally I found that section easy. For the type of player that enjoys these games, you shouldn't be making such demands on their skill, especially at the end of the game.

wmat said:
The reviewer's guide isn't a walkthrough; it's a guide to reviewing the game — how to understand this and why you should take that into account as a reviewer et cetera.

It's basically a guide to why the game is super-awesome. :lol
A walkthrough of the tougher segments of a game are usually in a review guide. They tend to tell you exactly what you need to do to get past the harder bits, but don't cover the full game.

C-Jo

Aaron said:
Ryan doesn't seem like he's really skilled at action games, but that's probably true for most of the people picking up DI.
For what it's worth, Ryan reviewed and (I assume) finished Bayonetta. So it's not like he's completely inept at the genre or anything.

Aaron said:
Ryan doesn't seem like he's really skilled at action games, but that's probably true for most of the people picking up DI. I think the problem isn't that this sort of trial is in the game, but that it's mandatory to progress. It should have been an optional challenge room, not a barrier in the way of a less skilled gamer.

People bitched to hell about GOW's turning spikes, when personally I found that section easy. For the type of player that enjoys these games, you shouldn't be making such demands on their skill, especially at the end of the game.

A walkthrough of the tougher segments of a game are usually in a review guide. They tend to tell you exactly what you need to do to get past the harder bits, but don't cover the full game.

Well either way, this being mandatory I agree wasn't a great idea. They could have had it so you get a hefty bonus if you can do it in one combo as opposed to having to restart it if you lose it or something

Aaron

C-Jo said:
For what it's worth, Ryan reviewed and (I assume) finished Bayonetta. So it's not like he's completely inept at the genre or anything.
To be clear I'm not saying his inept at all. He's skilled, just not really skilled. On normal, Bayonetta really isn't that hard. You can use items to get past the harder bits. I'd be surprised though if he had completed some or all of the Alfiem gates, which are optional challenges much like this part he was stuck on. The only difference is in Bayonetta these challenges are rigidly timed and you can only take 3-5 hits before it fails.

C-Jo

Aaron said:
I'd be surprised though if he had completed some or all of the Alfiem gates, which are optional challenges much like this part he was stuck on.
Yeah, true enough. You'd think that if DI was going to rip off Challenge of the Gods, they'd go whole hog and make it post game and optional.

Regardless of if Ryan was doing a poor job utilising his available skills, that seems to be an incredibly poor and lazy design choice. Mandatory challenge arenas or boss rushes do not serve as a way to build atmosphere or anticipation of the climax of the game, they are little more than a cheap excuse to pad out the length of the game and artifically ramp up the challenge.

I've got no issue with challenges if they are kept as side missions, but they should never take the place of a well crafted and atmospheric final level.

Aaron

C-Jo said:
Yeah, true enough. You'd think that if DI was going to rip off Challenge of the Gods, they'd go whole hog and make it post game and optional.
I think the flat truth is they didn't have enough content in the main game. This part was probably originally considered as optional, but the main game needed the fat.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh god that was terrible.

Congrats to Ryan for beating that crap.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I AM JOHN! said:
Ryan's Inferno - 37:13

And this is why there is no Dante's Inferno review.

EDIT: aw man, this is what I get for leaving this tab open while engaging in a twenty-minute drama chat. :(

why in hell they put these kind of challenges ( like this combo-based one ) near the end of the game anyway ? seems way out of place , and not only this game , many games shove all kind of crap in the final parts of the games (especially JRPGs ) why devs do this , most of the time it's not even fun.

jett

D-Member
:lol Wow is that shit actually part of the main game? The game designer of this thing needs to find himself a new career.

Weenerz

Banned
That segment is such a joke in the game, just keep spamming the cross thing. Its cheesy, BUT you don't run out of magic or whatever, you can use it until the controller breaks.

Ha, can't believe I watched Ryan try and do that for forty minutes. Poor guy. We've all been there, though - brings back many memories of retrying sections of various Call of Duty games on Veteran.

I've never been slighty interested in Dante's Inferno, but that sounds like such a shitty end game. "Here, ten abritary challenges to extend the length of the game!" Hate it when that happens.

Weenerz

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I've never been slighty interested in Dante's Inferno, but that sounds like such a shitty end game. "Here, ten abritary challenges to extend the length of the game!" Hate it when that happens.

It's not that bad, you find a relic that extends the time on your combos slightly right before the 10 challenges starts, so it helps a bit too. Perhaps Ryan didn't find it, or forgot about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom