• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Nope.

It's going to be a sad day after the last Hobbit extended edition releases :(

Yep, the real period at the end of this sentence is when the EE for There and Back Again is released at the end of 2015. Unless of course you want to count the inevitable release of the super-ultra-845 disc, 6-film LotR+Hobbit EE box set that would likely be released in 2016 at some point.

After that, it's pretty much a waiting game until someone adapts The Hobbit or LotR again, or by some miracle the Tolkien Estate sells the film rights to The Silmarillion.

don-cries.png

howard shore really has to step his game up for this hobbit trilogy. there were so many great cues in lotr and the best bits of hobbit's soundtrack were just reusing them. or maybe it's like star wars where it's so iconic at this point that you can't help but feel this way.

kingocfs

don-cries.png

howard shore really has to step his game up for this hobbit trilogy. there were so many great cues in lotr and the best bits of hobbit's soundtrack were just reusing them. or maybe it's like star wars where it's so iconic at this point that you can't help but feel this way.

Yeah it was underwhelming, but he was on another level with the first trilogy so it's hard to be too disappointed.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Yep, the real period at the end of this sentence is when the EE for There and Back Again is released at the end of 2015. Unless of course you want to count the inevitable release of the super-ultra-845 disc, 6-film LotR+Hobbit EE box set that would likely be released in 2016 at some point.

After that, it's pretty much a waiting game until someone adapts The Hobbit or LotR again, or by some miracle the Tolkien Estate sells the film rights to The Silmarillion.

simarillion should not be a trilogy, but a mini series :)

Where are you reading this? All of the information we've gotten over the last couple months indicates that DoS will be 10-13 minutes shorter than AUJ.

Well that's what I thought, but I've been reading differently since a few places have updated the run time;

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_hobbit_the_desolation_of_smaug/reviews/

http://www.movietickets.com/movie/mid/141856/n/The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-of-Smaug

http://www.marqueecinemas.com/movie_detail.asp?movie_id=141856

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hobbit:_The_Desolation_of_Smaug

... You get the idea

Jacob

Yeah, once There and Back Again has its EE release, there will be basically nothing left for Tolkien fandom to look forward to. Things wrapped up on the book side in 2007 with The Children of Hurin and The History of The Hobbit, and Christopher Tolkien and company has since moved on to editing and publishing Tolkien's non-Middle-earth work. For the first time in decades there will be nothing Tolkienian on the horizon on either page or screen, unless PJ or WB announces some sort of spin-off project before December 2015 (I find this unlikely though).

Loxley

don-cries.png

One thing to bare in mind with the AUJ soundtrack, it was likely a victim of the sudden jump from two films to three. Originally the first film was also meant to include Beorn, Dol Goldur, and Mirkwood - adding a lot more variety to the soundtrack. Removing those, you lose a lot of opportunity for new tracks and themes.

Shore was obviously going to reuse motifs and call back to well-known tracks from the LotR trilogy, like for the Shire and Rivendell. But it seemed pretty obvious to me that he rather suddenly had to stretch out his music that was only meant to cover about half-way through the run time of AUJ to then cover the entire film.

I guarantee you its partially why we hear the Misty Mountains theme everytime the company gets into a fight in AUJ, there was no time to compose and orchestrate a different fight theme when Shore had to scramble to stretch out his music for the first film and save the rest for DOS. They even said during one of the vlogs that the orchestra didn't rehearse before recording the OST. They would show up, be given sheet music they'd never seen before, and just record right away.

Vashetti

Banned
I still cannot fathom how we would have got all the way up to the barrels in Mirkwood sequence in AUJ if we were just getting two films.

Feels like loads would have been cut. I am happy with three films with all the content we're getting.

Isn't it true that PJ didn't see the final theatrical cut of RoTK, until actual opening night? If so, no wonder the guy's had trouble with stress. I'd be a wreck.
Yeah he never watched it end to end until the actual premiere..and he won an Oscar for best director. Crazy stuff.

Yeah it is guided, you can see little groups ahead of us in the last photo above. We were told about all the sets and the history behind the farmland. It's the little things, like all the food gardens are actually real and are used to stock the Green Dragon Pub, and all the lichen on wooden fences and doors etc is all fake, made with glue, sawdust and yogurt. Amazing place, well worth the trip (if you're already in NZ I guess :p )

jambo

Does anyone from the UK or Ireland want an UltraViolet copy of Hobbit AUJ EE?

I imported the 3D Blu-ray to Australia and didn't realise that the code would be region locked so I can't activate it on my account.

Lach

I went there in 2005 when it was just the remains of the set that they were able to safe. It was all pretty much overgrown and only a few hobbit doors were there. No mill, bridge or green dragon!

It was originally planned to dismantle all of it and put the land back to its original state. But the increase in tourists made the town and the farmer reconsider.

When they rebuilt it for the Hobbit it was built to last (better material) which I think is awesome!

Eoin

Does anyone from the UK or Ireland want an UltraViolet copy of Hobbit AUJ EE?

I imported the 3D Blu-ray to Australia and didn't realise that the code would be region locked so I can't activate it on my account.
Would love it dude.

Jealous too. Would love to visit there, as it looks wonderful. Thanks for the photos though =D

You're welcome! One last round as it was such a nice place. :p

The pipe smoking bench - the Bag End set on the hill is actually human scale, a second Hobbit scaled set that was also used in filming was shipped to Peter Jackson's home in Wellington.

Sam's house

The big tree was the reason Jackson chose this site. Apparently the farmer was considering cutting it down for firewood before Jackson found it.

...and the guest book.

The big tree was the reason Jackson chose this site. Apparently the farmer was considering cutting it down for firewood before Jackson found it.

It's just so perfect of a location though. It really IS hobbiton. the rolling hills. the lake. It looks exactly like it should look and everything is in the right posiition

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im amazed by the 9 hours of HD making-of on the extended edition. Lives up to the prior releases. Im only on hour 2 so far. I cant marathon this shit like i used to :(

Anyway it just shows you how much effort it takes for this and makes you appreciate things you take for granted in the film. Like the whole way Gandalf is larger than everyone just seems so natural in the film you dont even think about it.

boiled goose

good with gravy
confession time

I have the extended edition of the trilogy but have not watched the making of.

Where should I start?
Should I watch the movies again or just go to the extra content?
Should I watch the movies with the commentary??

Help!!

confession time

Where should I start?

Help!!

I used to marathon atleast once a year the 3 extended films, then the making of's from start to finish. Then if I still had any gas left in the tank I'd listen to the cast or director commentary. The making of's are pretty engrossing, if your into that sort of stuff. They always felt like watching a second film to me.

confession time

Where should I start?

Help!!

Watch them again with the director/writers commentary and then watch all of the documentaries. Then watch the movies again with the actors commentary. :p

Damn, I really want the EE now for the extras.

I was going to wait until all 3 Hobbit films were released.

Oh well, probably will just pick it up.

boiled goose

good with gravy
watched the making of part 1 from Fellowship.

Have to go into part 2. Too good.

At some point will watch movies again with commentary.

Tickets on sale in 12 hours, right?

edit: Guess not. Can get them right now

edit #2: Damn, tickets on sale at 9am. And so far, no HFR selection for the theater I saw the first movie in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom