• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Here's the installation Weta did at the Wellington airport this year for DoS' release:

qpur.jpg

fkus.jpg

And the nightmare fuel they did last year for AUJ:

If anyone speaks Chinese, this woman was at the LA junket screening yesterday and posted her impressions on Weibo.

I ran it through Google translate, you get the gist of...um...some of it anyway.

[The Hobbit2] (A) is definitely the year's most seductive movie, scene design Perfect picky, action cleverly designed, and in the end both viewing spiders than Lord of the Rings in the applause whistles [ppb applause] spider and dragon excellent special effects, and more lifelike movement faster violent, see so excited; small Levin is pulling the wind farm has several action scenes [j come on] his father wizard Mrs Wong Mei, shining golden hair supple touch people have the urge to have a [j coquetry ]. finally found the rhythm of the Lord of the Rings

(Continued) About Hobbit2: 1 foreshadowing last episode did a much better rhythm, especially in the first half of a wonderful thrill to take a particularly dwarf water barrels to flee fighting action design that field just absolutely great applause from the audience! , elven prince handsome dwarf turned his head to do battle! 2 Goblin King spoke little but your mother really too beautiful appearance, from the crown to have a close-up clothing and even eye lashes, women are jealous of [xkl Dada like] three female wizard is upstage

Advantages (see above) also said after finished under shortcomings, Hobbit2 not no urine points to escape from the country experiencing human spirit quite boring part, fiery words to speak a little more slowly because of the way I feel a bit hypnotic. Addition of most of the time outside of the rhythm is more compact than part One, and the scenes and more action scenes and more, especially the monster (mainly spiders) is still the most skilful part of Peter Jackson. compared to other films spiders are weak burst [smirked]

http://www.weibo.com/lazycatlovemovie

Anyone think that we are going to get reactions/reviews by tomorrow? When does this Embargo end?

Not much out there yet. A couple.

Steven Bailey ‏@IAMSTEVENBAILEY

Early screening of @TheHobbitMovie DOS w/@DavisAllsop tonight! Action packed, looked amazing, interesting plot departures,
ended on cliffhan

Another one...

Joyeux Hendel ‏@Hendyhendel 3h

Saw HOBBIT this weekend. Believe it: absolute masterpiece. Best of the LOTR series. Stunning. STUNNING.

And he didn't like the first Hobbit film, so a good sign maybe :

Joyeux Hendel ‏@Hendyhendel

@somebadideas @JimJarmuschHair ROTK is the best, though Two Towers has killer moments & FOTR is the most fun. 1st HOBBIT = way dull.

Embargo is Dec 8, but if the buzz is good they could lift that earlier.

So in prep for the 2nd Hobbit movie I saw the 1st movie for the first time tonight. After hearing all the news of how bad it was, it was actually a pretty good movie. I do agree with a lot of criticism that the scene in Bilbo's home and meeting with Gollum for first time was way too long but I rate it highly still

ROTK > FOTR > The Hobbit > TTT

Ixion

Not much out there yet. A couple.

Another one...

And he didn't like the first Hobbit film, so a good sign maybe :

Embargo is Dec 8, but if the buzz is good they could lift that earlier.

Keep in mind that AUJ was getting rave reviews on Twitter after the premieres, so we can't really go by this yet.

I do agree with a lot of criticism that the scene in Bilbo's home and meeting with Gollum for first time was way too long

Those are actually my two favorite parts of the movie. lol

UraMallas

So in prep for the 2nd Hobbit movie I saw the 1st movie for the first time tonight. After hearing all the news of how bad it was, it was actually a pretty good movie. I do agree with a lot of criticism that the scene in Bilbo's home and meeting with Gollum for first time was way too long but I rate it highly still

Couldn't disagree more. That was executed really well, imo.

Loxley

For as much embellishing as Jackson did for AUJ, and for as much as I don't really mind it, I'm so glad he left Riddles in the Dark untouched - it's pretty much straight from the book. It's such a pivotal chapter in the Middle-earth legendarium (much less The Hobbit in general) that if I were to choose one chapter from the book for him to not screw-up - it's would be that. I think they nailed it.

Same for An Unexpected Party - I greatly enjoyed it, burping aside. That little scene between Balin and Thorin is one of my favorites in the entire film :

Balin: [after overhearing Bilbo tell Gandalf he will not join the Dwarves on their journey] It appears we have lost our burglar. Probably for the best. The odds were always against us. After all, what are we? Merchants, miners, tinkerers, toy-makers. Hardly the stuff of legend.

Thorin: There are a few warriors amongst us.

Balin: Old warriors.

Thorin: I would take each and every one of these Dwarves over an army from the Iron Hills. For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart... I can ask no more than that.

Balin: You don't have to do this. You have a choice. You've done honorably by our people. You have built a new life for us in the Blue Mountains, a life of peace, and plenty. A life that is worth more than all the gold in Erebor.

Thorin: [He holds up the key Gandalf has given him] From my grandfather to my father, this has come to me. They dreamt of the day when the Dwarves of Erebor would reclaim their homeland. There is no choice Balin. Not for me.

Balin: Then we are with you, laddie. We will see it done.

Symphonic

So my theater supports HFR (as per the website) but the showing we bought tickets for just says "IMAX 3D". Anyone know which it is? Are they just assuming that it's HFR?

As someone who adores The Lord of the Rings trilogy and bought the original DVD release, extended editions, and then the extended edition blu-ray set, the theatrical release did feel more like a extended version that could have trimmed 15 minutes off and saved it for the home release. Though personally I love it all so, but I can see why it can be a big daunting for people less en-clamored for a first viewing.

As someone who adores The Lord of the Rings trilogy and bought the original DVD release, extended editions, and then the extended edition blu-ray set, the theatrical release did feel more like a extended version that could have trimmed 15 minutes off and saved it for the home release. Though personally I love it all so, but I can see why it can be a big daunting for people less en-clamored for a first viewing.

En-clamored?

I'd never heard of this guy and just looked him up, holy crap o_O Sleepy Hollow, Lemony Snicket's, The New World, Children of Men, The Tree of Life, and now Gravity? How has he not won an Oscar yet?

The Academy are dumb.

Him not winning for The Tree of Life was the most laughable thing ever.

Jeremy Slater just tweeted that it's basically a three hour action flick, with the last hour playing like Middle Earth Jurassic Park.

edit: beaten by less than a fuckin minute :)

Dead

well not really...yet
I dont know what the fuck a jeremy slater is supposed to be, but that Jurassic Park in Middle Earth comment is pretty awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So if I already loved the first Hobbit... how much will I like this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom