• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Humble Monthly Bundle

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They really should have priced it at 10. Anything above that crosses the mental barrier for value in my head.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nice, PS+ for PC.

Except this isn't really a rental service. This is a mystery box/lootcrate more than a rental.

Think X-box 360's Games with Gold and you're nearly there. Now throw in " a boats a boat, but a mystery box could be anything, even a boat!" and you're there.

RoadDogg

If they could at least let me pick genres I might consider it. I'd be pissed if I got nothing but games I had no interest of ever even trying.

Teppic

It's probably worth it for the very first bundle, simply because they'll be using it as a "Wow! Much value! Aren't you gutted you missed out?" thing for future bundles.
The thought have crossed my mind too. On the other hand it could be some games that, while worth it for the price, just isn't for me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The first month might be good, but I can't even think of 5 indie games I would pay 12 for in a bundle unless it had Soma or something in there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ill blindly buy a bundle (groupees usually does the blind thing) for 1 buck, but not for fucking 12 bucks

Kyou

I look forward to the future of people being angry that they already own five of the six games in a bundle.

Kinyou

$12 seems kind of pricey by Humble bundle standards.

I feel like it'll be a noticeable amount of bundled games repeat with very few unbundled games.

They do say "Discover games that haven't been featured in other bundles."

But true, that doesn't necessarily exclude that there wont be a bunch of repeats as well.

Humble Bundle is proud to partner with PayPal Giving Fund, a U.S. 501(c)(3) charity. Humble Bundle will donate 5% of Humble Monthly Bundle proceeds — less applicable sales taxes, VAT, and payment processor fees (which typically average 5 to 6% across all transactions, but may vary depending on a number of factors, including your location, purchase price, and payment method) — to the PayPal Giving Fund, with the direction that PayPal Giving Fund pay the funds to the displayed charitable organization chosen by Humble Bundle and its partners for each month's promotion. PayPal Giving Fund retains ultimate discretion and control over the use of the donations it receives from Humble Bundle. You will not be entitled to a tax deduction for contributions made by Humble Bundle to the PayPal Giving Fund.

Great idea, let's all trust Paypal to give our %5 to a charity and not hack it away with fees and costs.

Buburibon

I look forward to the future of people being angry that they already own five of the six games in a bundle.

Oh, that's coming, and then there will be the repeats too. I don't see how they can keep it fresh and worthwhile for any extended period of time if 5 or 6 games are included every month.

Costia

I was hoping they would make a subscription for the regular/weekly bundles. Something like 15$/month and you get all the BTA games that were in bundles during that month without the need to buy them individually.
But a blind selection of an unknown number of games? no thanks.

Ludens

Banned
I'm only interested in Grimrock 2, since I loved the first one so much, but the game was 75% off on Steam during the last sale and I'm totally uninterested in this new monthly bundle, so I pass.

I hope this box will not slow humble bundle down. I fear that they might exclude "better stuff" from bundles to shift them to the box.

Tak3n

Banned
calling it now

First month will have Rocket League in it, I am going to do the first month as I am convinced they have to go big to get people on board

inm8num2

Not interested, but I'd guess this will do better than expected at least in the first couple months.

Wonder what it means for the other Humble bundles - HIB 15 underwhelmed, and the monthly bundles will probably provide the best offerings of more recent (< 1 year old) games. LoG II as the first unlock seems a good sign.

Nabs

I would have been cool with a yearly sub for much less. I can't see too many people jumping on this shit blind.

I don't get why they don't have an October bundle. This shit makes no sense.

Backlogger

calling it now

First month will have Rocket League in it, I am going to do the first month as I am convinced they have to go big to get people on board

That is an interesting idea, but I really don't want to reward what I think is a bad subscription model even if its only for 1 month

Except this isn't really a rental service. This is a mystery box/lootcrate more than a rental.

Think X-box 360's Games with Gold and you're nearly there. Now throw in " a boats a boat, but a mystery box could be anything, even a boat!" and you're there.

Yeah, it's notably different than PS+/GWG I think. Unless other subscription options are made available than it's $144 a year versus $50 or $60 [but can frequently be had for $35] BUT it can be cancelled and re-subscribed to on and off so presumably it's more akin to the subscription model of lootcrate than anything else really

Backlogger

Yeah, it's notably different than PS+/GWG I think. Unless other subscription options are made available than it's $144 a year versus $50 or $60 [but can frequently be had for $35] BUT it can be cancelled and re-subscribed to on and off so presumably it's more akin to the subscription model of lootcrate than anything else really

Also with PS+ and Games with Gold you are paying to play games online. Its not just for the free games, those are just a perk to add more value to the service.

Way too many terrible bundles for that price.
Yeah they should have really kept it quality over quantity if they wanted to go this route. Really interesting prospect but as someone with a Plus subscription it's going to be really hard to compete quality wise.

MarionCB

It seems a bit dubious and highly dependent on what quality and quantity of games we're talking about. Humble Bundles are usually pretty good but then I only get around half of them for various reasons.

Firstly, I never get the uplay or origin bundles, and I'm not that big on steam; I like the drm-free style ones like the current one. Then, as I buy quite a lot of games myself, many times I already have too high a portion of a bundle for it to be worth getting. The subscription bonus of Legend of Grimrock 2 doesn't help sway me because I already have it, for example.

Ultimately, it's the fact of buying blind that worries me, and this subscription is a bit too high-priced, especially with the exchange rate for us Australians. It's more than ps+ or Gold.

I'll probably still give it a go however, I'm such a sucker. It'd better be damn good though! At least it's easy to cancel.

Oh, also, it really bothers me they've halved the cut to charity. It's simply not a good sign for their motives.

they said never before bundled games and reus has been bundled to hell and back

so probably not

Saying that it will include games never bundled before doesn't necessarily mean that it won't include games that have been bundled before.

Not sure that's a strong choice given the millions of people who just got it for free via PS+.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Only 5% going to charity :/

I can see them putting up a really good value bundle the first time to get people interested and then slowly declining into trash just like lootcrate

Such is the life of giftbox subscriptions. Take LootCrate for example, it was cool the first few months but now it's kind of creatively bankrupt with the themes and the general goodies you get.

(I live my Lootcrate experiences vicariously through Ashens, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt)

So essentially, if I sign up now, all I get is Grimrock 2, for $12? I still have to wait 36 days and pay another 12 bucks for next month's mystery games? Am I missing something?

Nabs

They're going to have to convince bigger indie devs to release games straight into this to make it worth it, and I don't think their sales pitch is going to do much to help their subscriber numbers. There's definitely something here, but this ain't it. I guess we'll see in 36 days.

quesalupa

The highest tier price for bundles that you actually know what you're getting usually doesn't cost much more than $12. What's the incentive for this?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm with Wuvcraft - this is a poor execution of a great idea. As someone with over 3,000 games in my Steam account I'm going to at least need some hints about what will be included. Like when they say "not bundled before" are they talking about games that haven't been in a Humble Bundle? What about other sites like Groupees - Humble almost always seems to forget they're not the only player in town.

It will be interesting to see what types of games people will be getting for their $12, but for someone like me it's almost a statistical impossibility that they'll include more than 1-2 games that I don't already own.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, doesn't really sound too tempting, wouldn't trust Humble to provide enough interesting stuff on a regular basis, or stuff that hasn't already been bundled a billion times before.

I wonder what they'll come up with to lure people in though

I might go blindly in for the first month. I can totally see them have a crazy good first month to build interest then suck the rest of the time.

I'm with Wuvcraft - this is a poor execution of a great idea. As someone with over 3,000 games in my Steam account I'm going to at least need some hints about what will be included. Like when they say "not bundled before" are they talking about games that haven't been in a Humble Bundle? What about other sites like Groupees - Humble almost always seems to forget they're not the only player in town.

It will be interesting to see what types of games people will be getting for their $12, but for someone like me it's almost a statistical impossibility that they'll include more than 1-2 games that I don't already own.

Include 3 high profile game (BTA class) and 3 low profile game (>1$ tier) and make the box owner pick one of the both tier.

Top Bottom