• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Humble Monthly Bundle

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
i feel like unless they can guarantee one quality game a month a lot of people are gonna walk away with bloated libraries and an empty feeling inside.

Erasus

I do like humble bundles, and I got the latest one. But not sure I´ll sign up for this, Im sceptical

And I have PS+

flux1

For what this would cost for a year ($144) I can get plenty of games I know I'm interested in during GOG's summer and winter sales, along with a few others scattered throughout the year.

Nope.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For what this would cost for a year ($144) I can get plenty of games I know I'm interested in during GOG's summer and winter sales, along with a few others scattered throughout the year.

Nope.

Exactly. Unless they un-Mystery the Mystery Box, there's no reason to subscribe.

Videospel

It's probably worth it for the very first bundle, simply because they'll be using it as a "Wow! Much value! Aren't you gutted you missed out?" thing for future bundles.

This is my guess as well. I'll probably try it out the first month and then cancel the subscription regardless of the contents.

That's about 3 times as much yearly as PS+. So far in the past year as a Vita owner I've gotten need for speed most wanted, wipeout 2048, geometry wars 3, Rouge legacy, xeodrifter, and in a few days broken age and super meat boy. Don't see how this humble bundle can even get close to offering 3 times the value of PS+.

Reallink

WAY too expensive. Don't think I've ever seen a Beat the Average go over $6 or $7. If they're looking for guaranteed subscriber revenue it should be $50/yr or $5-$7/mo. Can't see this being a big seller long term at $12.

LewieP

Thinking this through. What if you already own the games you get on a given month, you just spent $12 on nothing?

It's just Steam keys, right? The majority of the Steam library is regularly discounted across the entire market.

If you've been paying attention to humble bundles/sales, other bundles, and the many other places discounting Steam keys, there is a good chance that unless these bundles are primarily filled with stuff that has not been discounted previously, you will get either games you already own, or games you opted not to buy when they were discounted previously.

I suppose if they do an excellent job of curation, and present a good selection of games consistently, it could be good for players who are either new to PC gaming, or looking to get more familiar with the platform. I'm not sure there are many people in this category that would be looking to spend $12 on a monthly subscription though.

ghibli99

Getting games that haven't been bundled by them seems interesting, but I don't like going in blind... a preview would have gone a long way!

Ozium

Thinking this through. What if you already own the games you get on a given month

image.php

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since we have no idea of what games are included or what level of quality this "Monthly Bundle" will represent, I feel like I should point out that if you're a savvy shopper or follow what's going on in SteamGAF you would know that there are typically about 4-6 Steam games given away FOR FREE every month from various sites such as IndieGala. Sometimes you have to jump through hoops such as liking a Facebook page, but that's easier to do than forking over $12 every month and hoping for the best.

Just within the last two weeks we've seen: Nux, Glacier 3, Time Gentlemen Please bundle, Super Distro, Oddworld Abe's Oddysee (directly on Steam), Orborun, Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising, 8BitBoy, Burgers, and probably some others that I can't recall at the moment. And this is following a growing trend that we've seen expand pretty generously in the last 6 months or so. While these not be the best games Steam has to offer, the titles on offer here also might not be worth your time (or in this case, money).

Just something to think about.

venomenon

No thanks. Grimrock 2 is nice and it might be worth it if they give you like 3-4 games of a comparable calibre each month (they won't), but I guess the higher your game counter is, the more do mystery bundles lose their appeal.

Mavromatis' idea sounds good, I'd consider subscribing for this, but not for a completely blind bundle.

Phyla

I was an avid fan of the Humble Bundles until they started including games with DRM. This doesn't seem like a good deal for me personally.

Lol, so many people saying it is overpriced when we don't have a clue what we are getting.

I'm kind of tempted to pay for this, judging by the big Humble Bundles they offer more value then something as PS+ does and I get to keep the games. I'll see what they offer the first month before I'll decide to pay.

MUnited83

For you.
Saying that it will include games never bundled before doesn't necessarily mean that it won't include games that have been bundled before.

Not sure that's a strong choice given the millions of people who just got it for free via PS+.

I'd say it's a pretty good choice. It being free on PS+ didn't stop it from selling 1 million and a half on Steam.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I tell ya what we're gonna do.

(in a hushed tone, to an unknown entity off camera) ...really? At that price? I...well, it's on them...

Folks...get on the website. Get onnnn the website, right now. Be surfin', gang.

If you order right now.

I can't believe this.

If you order right now, we're throwin' in FEZ. I didn't stutter. We're throwin' in FEZ.

We got World of Goo
Super Meat Boy
BIT. TRIP RUNNER
ANNNNNNNNNN THE FEZ

Needed to be posted, this is what it is.

impact

Banned
Awful idea. Basically PS+ for PC but with an even more ridiculous cost.

But if you play and love every indie game just because it's an indie game then I bet this would be great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But you get to keep the games no matter what. That alone adds a lot of value.

Oh, you get to keep them?
v6Fy0rO.gif

The fact this is priced above Netflix is clown town.

It mentions only 5% goes to charity.
Does that mean we can't customize where our money goes?

My guess is they are planning this side of their business to support that which gives you the ability to completely allocate where your money goes.

It has value for people who feel strongly about experimenting with varied, unique indie games on a regular basis but personally 12 bucks per month is quite a lot, given that i average probably less than half of that monthly on games.

Costia

But you get to keep the games no matter what. That alone adds a lot of value.

But you don't know which games. That alone subtracts a lot of value.
Like others said, those could be mediocre/bad indie games, or games a lot of people here already own.

Teppic

If it's $12 for a month, isn't it kind of stupid to subscribe now? Says it's 35+ days until the next bundle. Does that mean people will have to pay twice to get the first bundle? (probably not?) Will it auto-renewal in the next month so you have to pay for the month ahead to get the games for the current month?

robotrock

Banned
If it's $12 for a month, isn't it kind of stupid to subscribe now? Says it's 35+ days until the next bundle. Does that mean people will have to pay twice to get the first bundle?

You could subscribe any time in the next 34 days.

I mean, if you subscribe to this for the rest of the year, they will have charged you $24 by 2016

inm8num2

If it's $12 for a month, isn't it kind of stupid to subscribe now? Says it's 35+ days until the next bundle. Does that mean people will have to pay twice to get the first bundle?

No, just $12 for the first month and subsequent months each. The launch period is just a bit longer since it will be 35+ days until the first Friday of November, when the first bundle launches. You get Legend of Grimrock II and whatever the first bundle contains if you pay $12 from now until November 6.

edit - beaten

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It means you don't get the first bundle at all.

You are paying a month in advance.

So, when the current bundle is revealed, you will no longer be eligible for that bundle. If you subscribe after that bundle is revealed, you'll have to wait until the next month to get the next bundle of games.

They will apparently always give you one game from the previous month at time of sign-up, but that is the gist of how it works.

MUnited83

For you.
The negative reception here is weird. This is much better value than PS+ for example.
It really isn't.
PS+ is 4$ per month. You get to know which games are going to be in the service 1 week before they are added, and you can subscribe while those games are being offered.

Meanwhile with this:12$ per month, you have absolutely zero idea of what is going to be on it, and you can only get it if you blindly subscribe, because you can't subscribe and get the Bundle that was revealed.

This has the advantage of keeping the games forever, but that isnt worth the asking price when it could go so wrong.

I'd say it's a pretty good choice. It being free on PS+ didn't stop it from selling 1 million and a half on Steam.

Which is another reason why I'd say Rocket League is a poor choice. PS+ gave them momentum, but now that they have momentum and are selling really well on Steam, there's no good reason for them to agree to do another free bundle this early.

I am legitimately considering getting the first month though simply because Legend of Grimlock 2 is being included.

Wonder if you can just buy a month without having to get a subscription you have to cancel

Which is another reason why I'd say Rocket League is a poor choice. PS+ gave them momentum, but now that they have momentum and are selling really well on Steam, there's no good reason for them to agree to do another free bundle this early.

That's an interesting point. I wonder what the breakdown of money to developers, humble bundle and charity is for the subscription service

dude

dude
Eh, I don't know. I think if they're brave enough to ask for 12$ they're going to offer good enough games.

But I don't care that much either way, because I don't know how needed is this service on PC. I mean, I have more Steam games than I know what to do with and there are still bundles every week and Steam sales and all those sites selling keys for nothing... It's not that I feel the service is bad, because I'll believe it'll have enough value to be justified, I just don't see who needs something like that on PC.

Teppic

I answered your question in mine.

You are always paying a month in advance.
You didn't? Or I didn't understand how it works. Will it auto-renewal in the next month so you can't get the current games without having to pay for the month ahead?

Nzyme32

$12 Grimrock 2, alright!

...And mystery stuff that will be undisclosed, and also unattainable after they launch that month. You are essentially paying $12 for a mystery selection, and trust / faith in Humble doing the good thing in making a good selection

Which isn't really any different to other services like XBL or PS+, other than keeping the games, being cheaper and donating 5% to charity

Pakkidis

I would only bite if I knew how many games you were getting. My gut tells me the first month is going to have some big games in them.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You didn't? Or I didn't understand how it works. Will it auto-renewal in the next month so you can't get the current games without having to pay for the month ahead?
It will auto renew unless you cancel it.

You always have to pay in advance to get the next bundle.

You are always paying a month in advance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It seems like to get this months, you sub now. The auto-renew happens on the next refresh (Nov 6) so you get the NEXT month/current month's full mystery box.

I'm a little concerned that in order to buff up the mystery bundle they will have to weaken the Weekly and Standard humble bundles

I doubt it, it'll just be full of repeat bundle fodder. And I doubt they'll get rid of the books by making them subscriber stuff.

I'm wanting a third No Starch Humble Bundle.

bede-x

I don't see why you wouldn't just subscribe to a single month if you find a bundle appealing, instead of letting the subscription run continuously. It's not like Plus/GwG where you're bound to the service if you want to play online.

Top Bottom