• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Please don't devolve the story into r/atheism, please don't devolve the story into r/atheism.

We know they will though. Guaranteed the ending concludes with a Mass Effect 'machine' setup the universe and your powers.
It’s going to end with a literal magic sky wizard who reveals himself to you, then banishes you to hell for masturbating and says “it’s almost as if you should’ve listened to your Bible!”

Robochobo

Finally arrived. 1 more day to go
tHcVVbv.jpg

Trippy

What caught my attention was Pete Hines comment about the game “not starting until you finish the main quest”. And it’s stirred this suspicion in me that the last quest might see you get sucked into a black hole and spewed out in Whiterun and we’ve all been tricked into buying Skyrim again

DeaDPo0L84

I'm not gonna pretend to know exactly how Gamepass actually makes it money. But with the information they have now considering pre-orders and then post release sales, if the numbers are huge I find it hard to believe they don't look at those playing it on Gamepass as a lost opportunity to simply make more money, which any business wouldn't snicker at. Smaller games probably work better when it comes to a subscription service, but if this game wasn't on Gamepass it would guarantee see a lot more copies sold versus those who might just sub for 1 month and then bounce.

While I get the decision to do so, especially considering the times at when it was announced, I wonder if they regret making the promise that all 1st party games would launch day and date on Gamepass.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not gonna pretend to know exactly how Gamepass actually makes it money. But with the information they have now and post release, if the sales numbers are huge I find it hard to believe they don't look at those playing it on Gamepass as a lost opportunity to simply make more money, which any business wouldn't snicker at. Smaller games probably work better when it comes to a subscription service, but if this game wasn't on Gamepass it would guarantee see a lot more copies sold versus those who might just sub for 1 month and then bounce.

While I get the decision to do so, especially considering the times at when it was announced, I wonder if they regret making the promise that all 1st party games would launch day and date on Gamepass.

Gamepass sells consoles and subscriptions.

Those both vastly outweigh a normal purchase.

Starfield is selling an insane amount of consoles and GP subs.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Gamepass sells consoles and subscriptions.

Those both vastly outweigh a normal purchase.

Starfield is selling an insane amount of consoles and GP subs.
Any proof of that? Gamepass has been around for quite some time and the needle hasn't moved much concerning Xbox sales. Starfield itself is doing huge numbers on PC outside of Gamepass. I think the core Gamepass audience is tied to the Xbox console, outside of that it seems most are just buying the game outright. Also if you already own an Xbox and had no intentions on buying Starfield you sub for one month, play the game, then don't renew? How do these things outweigh someone like me, and many others, who purchased the digital premium edition? $90x2=$180, 1 month Gamepass sub on PC is $10 through various key retailers, so....yea.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm not gonna pretend to know exactly how Gamepass actually makes it money. But with the information they have now considering pre-orders and then post release sales, if the numbers are huge I find it hard to believe they don't look at those playing it on Gamepass as a lost opportunity to simply make more money, which any business wouldn't snicker at. Smaller games probably work better when it comes to a subscription service, but if this game wasn't on Gamepass it would guarantee see a lot more copies sold versus those who might just sub for 1 month and then bounce.

It only works if casuals sign up and leave their sub on, and if that's a good chunk of the userbase.

There's all kinds of people using sub services, everything from penny pinchers buying 1 month and playing $400 worth of games and those who sign up and barely remember they have it. lol

At $130-200 a year it's hardly a cheap sub on consoles. That's 2-3 games every year which is more than a lot of casual gamers spend, who might sign up thinking it's a good deal.

MMaRsu

Banned
Any proof of that? Gamepass has been around for quite some time and the needle hasn't moved much concerning Xbox sales. Starfield itself is doing huge numbers on PC outside of Gamepass. I think the core Gamepass audience is tied to the Xbox console, outside of that it seems most are just buying the game outright. Also if you already own an Xbox and had no intentions on buying Starfield you sub for one month, play the game, then don't renew? How do these things outweigh someone like me, and many others, who purchased the digital premium edition? $90x2=$180, 1 month Gamepass sub on PC is $10 through various key retailers, so....yea.

Go look at Amazon's top sellers

Also, who the fuck cares? As long as we get great games, I don't give a shit about their financials.

DeaDPo0L84

Go look at Amazon's top sellers

Also, who the fuck cares? As long as we get great games, I don't give a shit about their financials.
Bro why are you so hostile? Just asking a question, not like I started a whole new thread about this particular topic. When we barely know what the actual console sales numbers are as is, seeing a big percentage increase on Amazon doesn't really give us a clear picture. Also you should care a little bit cause if you are heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem and this model is not sustainable they will have to figure something else out. Obviously don't lose sleep over it, but it is interesting when they've essentially hitched their wagon to the Gamepass model. Games will only become bigger in scope as well as budget, people playing a 8yo project with a 500 person staff for the price of a coffee and donut doesn't scream profit.

MMaRsu

Banned
Bro why are you so hostile? Just asking a question, not like I started a whole new thread about this particular topic. When we barely know what the actual console sales numbers are as is, seeing a big percentage increase on Amazon doesn't really give us a clear picture. Also you should care a little bit cause if you are heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem and this model is not sustainable they will have to figure something else out. Obviously don't lose sleep over it, but it is interesting when they've essentially hitched their wagon to the Gamepass model. Games will only become bigger in scope as well as budget, people playing a 8yo project with a 500 person staff for the price of a coffee and donut doesn't scream profit.
How am I hostile for saying who the fuck cares? Isnt this something that has been discussed to death on this forum (and many other forums) over the years already?

Do we really need to go over this in a Starfield thread for heaven sakes?

Ultimately to the consumer it does not matter.

not like I started a whole new thread about this particular topic.

I wish you had :p. Its a fine topic for discussion. But not really itt.

Also you should care a little bit cause if you are heavily invested in the Xbox ecosystem

I literally only have an Xbox 360 that I haven't turned on in years dude. I play my games on PC. I am not at all invested in the Xbox ecosystem. So maybe thats why I dont give a fuck lmao.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
We’re in the last stretch now (for early access players)

Last edited:
What caught my attention was Pete Hines comment about the game “not starting until you finish the main quest”. And it’s stirred this suspicion in me that the last quest might see you get sucked into a black hole and spewed out in Whiterun and we’ve all been tricked into buying Skyrim again
I had no intention of buying this game, but if those two game universes are linked or are the same, I will get this.

Woah my constellation edition will be arriving from Best Buy tomorrow.

Okay need to make a decision. Either pay the $31 on Gamepass and keep constellation edition sealed (I think I get crossplay with this option too). Or open constellation edition and keep forever on steam. What would you do?

Last edited:
Can anyone else who got the premium edition on Steam confirm that there is no indication of early access and when you view it in your library it just says ‘Coming September 6th’?

Fredrik

Can anyone else who got the premium edition on Steam confirm that there is no indication of early access and when you view it in your library it just says ‘Coming September 6th’?
Same here. And I double-checked that I had bought the right version. 86.4 GB downloaded and an empty folder as well. Normal? No idea, I never buy games early. They better not mess this up!!!

Woah my constellation edition will be arriving from Best Buy tomorrow.

Okay need to make a decision. Either pay the $31 on Gamepass and keep constellation edition sealed (I think I get crossplay with this option too). Or open constellation edition and keep forever on steam. What would you do?
I bought premium on Steam and will keep Xbox constellation edition sealed. I’m sure there are more just like me who are doing the same. Join us!

Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura your thread was probably merged because the title was technically a potentially big spoiler, even though it is from a news article.

There was nothing in the media beforehand(as far as I recall) that remotely hinted towards what your article is stating so it was a bummer to read it for many here.

Same here I stumped up for the premium edition and it is showing "6th September" for me. Checking around it seems that steam can only show one date so they went with the official date the game launches. I wouldn't stress too much about it I am 100% confident if you bought the premium edition on steam you will be playing Starfield in 20hrs 30mins time ............... erm not that I am counting.

As for the starfield folder being empty that is normal too. The files have been downloaded encrypted and compressed to another folder. When early access starts steam will unencrypt and uncompress the files to the starfield folder then probably down a few mbs of files to finish the download.

Last edited:
With regard to the steam version when it hits the release time steam will show that it is "downloading" STARFIELD it isn't really downloading it is just how Steam shows it is decrypting and uncompressing the files. When the time comes if you check the download page of steam you will see most of the graph showing a green line indicated Hard disk activity and not network activity. Also be prepared there may be an additional 15gb patch we will have to download once the files have finished.

Fredrik

Same here I stumped up for the premium edition and it is showing "6th September" for me. Checking around it seems that steam can only show one date so they went with the official date the game launches. I wouldn't stress too much about it I am 100% confident if you bought the premium edition on steam you will be playing Starfield in 20hrs 30mins time ............... erm not that I am counting.

As for the starfield folder being empty that is normal too. The files have been downloaded encrypted and compressed to another folder. When early access starts steam will unencrypt and uncompress the files to the starfield folder then probably down a few mbs of files to finish the download.
Thanks for that explanation 🤝

And I just realized I’ve been counting the days wrong! I thought it would release 02:00 in the night/morning going into saturday but it’s releasing the night going into friday! 🥳🤩

Last edited:

Stuart360

With regard to the steam version when it hits the release time steam will show that it is "downloading" STARFIELD it isn't really downloading it is just how Steam shows it is decrypting and uncompressing the files. When the time comes if you check the download page of steam you will see most of the graph showing a green line indicated Hard disk activity and not network activity. Also be prepared there may be an additional 15gb patch we will have to download once the files have finished.
I have fast internet so i dont bother pre-installing games on Steam anymore as the last time i did, the Steam decrypting actually took longer than it would of done if i had just downloaded the game, and with Starfields huge size, it will probably be the same again lol.

Top Bottom