• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Insert Credit Podcast is a thing, a lovely, lovely thing.

joesiv

gave it a shot (listened to Ep 34), and honestly probably won't listen again. 90% talk about how they disliked how people dress and 10% talk of actual games.

It might be some form of sarcasm, but it just comes across as pretentious drivel.

I'll stick to Giant Bomb and Joystiq and

Edit, oh and 8-4 :D

what is going on with this podcast? itunes hadnt had an update since episode 34 and i just managed to download episodes 35-40 even though they dont appear on the itunes page for the podcast.

in other questions... what is the music that plays during the intro to episode 33? sounds so familiar and i cant place it.

edit: the song was
gwyn's theme
from dark souls. im embarrassed i couldnt think of it.

Rufus

Seems they have control of the website again and with that, the feed was updated. The site isn't up to date, but at least it's functional again. I don't use Twitter so I don't know else they've said on the topic.

GhaleonQ

42 is up, too! That took way too long and soured me a bit on the podcast. (I honestly would have preferred no recordings to staggered video-audio ones, although I understand this is free.)

It's still quality, though, even as it becomes increasingly self-referential.

if anyone is interested, their top 20 genesis games of all time:

sonic 2
landstalker
gunstar heroes
shining force 2
streets of rage 3
thunder force 4
sonic 3 and knuckles
ranger x
castlevania bloodlines
contra hard corps
phantasy star 4
road rash 2
monster world 4
rocket knight adventures
alien soldier
shinobi 3
gain ground
shining in the darkness
shadowrun
vectorman

i have been meaning to go back and play some genesis and snes stuff that i missed so this may be as good a list as any to start with.

GhaleonQ

They're on schedule now, and they did an E3 and anniversary show that were both fantastic. Also, Alex Jaffe is delighted to have made Jordan Morris laugh, and that makes me delighted as well. The Cruncheons, Player 1 Podcast, and this are my 3 favorite video game podcasts right now.

They're on schedule now, and they did an E3 and anniversary show that were both fantastic. Also, Alex Jaffe is delighted to have made Jordan Morris laugh, and that makes me delighted as well. The Cruncheons, Player 1 Podcast, and this are my 3 favorite video game podcasts right now.

Awful puns and shitty wordplay are some of my favorite thing in the world, so this podcast might be my favorite. I look forward to it every week.

I listened to latest episode after missing a bunch (I unsubscribed whent he website was having problems and there weren't any episodes). Was Leigh Alexander a guest or is she on the podcast full time now? She was a pretty good fit

Also,

<>

Edit: I missed a Christian Nutt episode?! Ghaleon, we have to go back

Gloam

For shame; he was at his MOST Nutt-y in it, too. I'm scared to see him return to Retronauts, because he can't possibly get more so.

I like the uber-nerd version of him, though.

When Nutt blew up at Brandon over that Smash Brothers stuff a few episodes back, man, crazy stuff, great stuff, crazy great stuff.

Enjoy the cast a great deal, although sometimes the (false?) disinterested tone of the hosts can be a bit of a downer, each topic usually results in some good jokes though, so it's never really that bad a thing.

GhaleonQ

Enjoy the cast a great deal, although sometimes the (false?) disinterested tone of the hosts can be a bit of a downer, each topic usually results in some good jokes though, so it's never really that bad a thing.

I would disagree about that general tone, and then I got to the Pikmin segment of this episode. Shame on all of them!

randomkid

Brandon cracks me up because his emotionless "i am dead inside" voice and face is a big contrast to his very considered and earnest efforts to really answer every question, no matter how stupid. He sounds like he doesn't give a shit but if you listen to what he says it's almost always thoughtful and from an interesting angle.

Catching up and I laughed out loud at Nutt blowing up on Brandon. Glad they're back to mp3s, the youtube stuff wasn't working for me lately.

Which episode is the Genesis episode?

GhaleonQ

"Remember Wreck-It Ralph, where you thought it was going to be about video games, and then it turned out to be 80-percent about a made-up Japanese kart racer."
"I still haven't seen that."
"You know what? You have seen it, in your head. If you can think about it, you've seen it. It's that dumb. It's inconsequential. 'CAPTAIN N RULES!'"

Thank you, Tim. I try to tell people that, and they just stare through me.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I love these guys, particularly Tim (he's the reason I listen). They've made me appreciate the SNES era so much despite never owning one.

Gloam

Wow, Tim really took Metal Gear Rising to task in the GOTY 'cast. Hope none of the 8-4 dudes were listening, feelings might get hurt!

Sometimes I think that these guys might enjoy games a little more if they opened themselves up to enjoying them. It seems that a lot of the time they'll write off something based on a feeling rather than actual experience. I find that if you're not willing to try things in life you tend to miss out on some good stuff.

entremet

Wow, Tim really took Metal Gear Rising to task in the GOTY 'cast. Hope none of the 8-4 dudes were listening, feelings might get hurt!

Sometimes I think that these guys might enjoy games a little more if they opened themselves up to enjoying them. It seems that a lot of the time they'll write off something based on a feeling rather than actual experience. I find that if you're not willing to try things in life you tend to miss out on some good stuff.

I don't think it's an insult to the localizers when the source material is wacky.

Gloam

I don't think it's an insult to the localizers when the source material is wacky.

True enough but as far as I can tell they had a fair amount of freedom when it came to the game's translation.

Now, I know that example pretty much backs up what TIm said on the 'cast given that it's a pretty lame joke that they inserted there but I would presume that some of the scripts brighter moments also come from their involvement, all the stuff with Senator Anderson for example.

A bit too list heavy, maybe. I do think Jaffe's questions and the six minute time limit helped give the show a lot of personality, and the new format hasn't really caught up yet. But I'm willing to give them some more time. I am excited to see more video content, I just wish they would put it on YouTube.

A bit too list heavy, maybe. I do think Jaffe's questions and the six minute time limit helped give the show a lot of personality, and the new format hasn't really caught up yet. But I'm willing to give them some more time. I am excited to see more video content, I just wish they would put it on YouTube.

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same in re: the podcast format. There is definitely something to be said for having free rein to discuss a single topic for an extended period of time, but I felt the six-minute timeframe helped to keep the discussion more focused, and without that fixed format, the podcast tends to feel directionless.

But when I heard Jaffe was leaving (for whatever reason - people collaborate and then people stop collaborating, and the reasons why are none of my business), I expected that it would take a while for the podcast to find its new direction, even assuming that Tim/Brandon/Frank have some clear sense of what they want the podcast to be. I've recorded podcasts before and there's definitely a noticeable difference between having a dedicated person to act as host vs. having a combination host/panelist; there's also definitely a noticeable difference between having a highly structured, timed format versus having an open-ended (or at least more loosely bounded) set of discussion topics.

jay

It's garbage.

Did Jaffe have a falling out or something?

Jaffe tweeted that there's the version of events on the site (which is about moving forward and making it a show or something) and then there is his version of events, which he will share with you if you visit him.

It's a shame, he added a lot and had a good sense of humor. He also kept the pace up and didn't ask them to make seven lists per episode or bore us to death with discussion of all the designs Tim has made and how everyone stole all of them.

Top Bottom