• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
True Skate is pretty fun. It's a sim like taking a trip to a skate park and just doing freestyle tricks. to be good you almost need to be good at real skateboarding minus the balance part. I suck at it but getting better.

PittaGAF

Ah, still fighting Yig. :p

I've won quite a few games at this point, but the one time I tried a harder ancient, I got annihilated fast.

I kinda hope Fantasy Flight brings the full game of Arkham Horror to iOS now after enjoying Elder Sign.

I didn't found the spike between Yig and the other Ancient Ones so big.
I recall they were pretty different tough (one has higher entries and the other one lock a lot of glyphs...so consider using the character which is immune to locked glyphs and use her to solve those quests).
If it still makes you loosing fast, try different party members.
I've now consolidated mine but it's build just to defeat Chtulhu (which still survives, btw).

I noticed that FFT has many other cool franchises (like LOTR and SW).
Never played Arham Horror...is it good? Different from Elder Sign?

I wish these games were Universal and with async...games could take forever but turns are relatively fast so it's really suited to async playing imho.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If we, as Jedeye said, just want to turn this "20k limit thread with a permanent OP" into a "30 day limit thread with updated OP", why are we even having a discussion about that, since that's about as minor of a change as you can imagine... It won't really solve any newcomer's issue with being unable to jump in, all it does is artificially restrict the size of the thread and have a better OP (which is sth that should be happening anyway), that's hardly any change. I was under the impression monthly best of threads were supposed to make our community more accessible, not simply close the thread at an earlier post count and then make a new one.

GeekyDad

I noticed that FFT has many other cool franchises (like LOTR and SW).
Never played Arham Horror...is it good? Different from Elder Sign?

I wish these games were Universal and with async...games could take forever but turns are relatively fast so it's really suited to async playing imho.

I've actually never played AH, but I believe they're closely related, using the same art for the cards and whatnot, and many of the fundamentals are the same.

I agree, though, I wish this had multiplayer. I mean, the physical game is for 1-8 players, so there's no reason why they couldn't add it here.

If we, as Jedeye said, just want to turn this "20k limit thread with a permanent OP" into a "30 day limit thread with updated OP", why are we even having a discussion about that, since that's about as minor of a change as you can imagine... It won't really solve any newcomer's issue with being unable to jump in, all it does is artificially restrict the size of the thread and have a better OP (which is sth that should be happening anyway), that's hardly any change. I was under the impression monthly best of threads were supposed to make our community more accessible, not simply close the thread at an earlier post count and then make a new one.

Of course it makes it more accessible. A giant megathread has no jumping in point. Whereas a monthly thread allows a new-comer to jump in and check out what is happening and can begin to contribute or ask questions on the first page. It also forces the OT to be updated, and enforces parameters that help make sure it doesn't become a mess. A megathread OT would require the OP to include just about everything he can fit into a OT and would be impossible to accurately curate. It eases the burden when you only have one month of releases to deal with.

Haunted

So, what's going on with Middle Manager of Justice? I've downloaded it when they accidentally released it for a couple hours a couple months back - and a friend of mine is looking at the App Store like every day waiting for it to be eventually released properly.

Still coming? Cancelled? Only available in the US? What's going on?

Zzoram

Anyone here play Rebuild?

mzl.wumusxwk.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.heluhoiv.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.xafshxdh.320x480-75.jpg

What are the 7 ways to win Rebuild?

Reclaim whole city, escape to cabin, helicopter, cure, beat subway gang and new constitution are all I have. I can't figure out what the last one is

Also, Impossible difficulty might actually be impossible. I always die so fast.

heringer

So, iPad Mini huh? Pretty cool. Who's getting one?

edit: $329, yikes! *hugs iPad 2
edit2: iPad 3 outlived by iPad 2? *hugs iPad 2

Kouriozan

Woah, good thing I'm still waiting a bit before buying my ipad, If I have bought a ipad 3 last month I would be disapointed now >.<

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh cool you guys are playing Elder Sign. Be really nice if these offline co-op games all had Cheevos. I don't know if you've played Ghost Stories, but it's amazing from a gameplay perspective (not quite as pretty as Elder Sign though) and an achievement for beating that thing on Nightmare would be nice since I think there's about a 1/1,000,000 chance of doing it even if you know what you're doing.

Damn... I just bought an iPad 3 last month... anyway to trade up?

Why would you consider it a trade up? Were you happy with your iPad 3 before 1:45 EST today?

It's still a great device.

Edit: Whoops. I totally forgot they announced an iPad 4. I was focused on the mini. Yeah, I'd be pissed too.

Jesus. The iPad 2 must be the longest device I've owned that doesn't become completely obsolete in a year.

They are even still selling it. It was a really good investment. Sorry to those that bought and iPad 3 in the past months.

kodt

Banned
Why would you consider it a trade up? Were you happy with your iPad 3 before 1:45 EST today?

It's still a great device.

I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Just annoying to think a device with a processor that is "twice as fast" costs the same as mine did just 30 days ago. I bought mine fully expecting an upgrade coming in April-May, but this is so soon I feel like a moron.

Smiley90

Can someone who followed the PK pleae tell me what happened? Ipad mini? Ipad 4? When, how, what, how much, how does it compare to ipad 3? What happened?

I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Just annoying to think a device with a processor that is "twice as fast" costs the same as mine did just 30 days ago. I bought mine fully expecting an upgrade coming in April-May, but this is so soon I feel like a moron.

Pretty much. I don't really regret my purchase all that much since half of the reason I bought it to replace my iPad 2 was that I was literally running out of storage space and I had to replace it to fix that anyway. This also stings a little less for someone used to Android product cycles (I bought my phone at launch four months ago and it's already an antique compared to all the devices that have come out since) but I think Apple really did just destroy a lot of assurance people had about their device's lasting value.

Also, if you bought your device 30 days ago, are you still in a return period?

Can someone who followed the PK pleae tell me what happened? Ipad mini? Ipad 4? When, how, what, how much, how does it compare to ipad 3? What happened?

There's a thread in Off-Topic: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495884

Just sell it man. I think you can get your money back easily.

So, what's going on with Middle Manager of Justice? I've downloaded it when they accidentally released it for a couple hours a couple months back - and a friend of mine is looking at the App Store like every day waiting for it to be eventually released properly.

Still coming? Cancelled? Only available in the US? What's going on?

It's coming, it's just no one knows when. Double Fine have been pretty quiet about it for a few weeks now. No chatter on Twitter and no talk on their forum. I've had the early version since release and have just started playing it as I've become impatient.

That's the point. It's not supposed to "change" anything with regard to discussion. It's supposed to offer people an easier way into the threads and into iOS gaming, because each OP will have a summary of the games GAF is playing and so people can check an OP and immediately be able to join in on discussion and know what people have been talking about.

Really we want the same thing. It's just that I think it's a better idea for November's OP to have November's games in it, and you think it should have October's games in it. Either way there's going to be a thread with November's games in it (November's OP or December's), and I just think it's easier my way because it means you only need one active thread instead of splitting the community between two threads. I know you say that won't happen, but it will. It's just silly keeping two threads going when you only need one.

GeekyDad

Anyone here play Rebuild?

What are the 7 ways to win Rebuild?

Reclaim whole city, escape to cabin, helicopter, cure, beat subway gang and new constitution are all I have. I can't figure out what the last one is

Also, Impossible difficulty might actually be impossible. I always die so fast.

Played the living shit out of it a couple of weeks ago, but I could only discover, I think, about six ways to end the game. And yeah, Impossible difficulty sure does seem impossible.

Whoa-check it out - Borderlands Legends next week for iPad:

Borderlands Legends Reveal

Looks really cool. So, a TBS of sorts? Kinda looks a bit like that Ghost Recon game I played on 3DS a while back.

yogloo

Reading all the apple threads that pops up because of the announcement convinced me that most gaffers know next to nothing about running a business.

Played the living shit out of it a couple of weeks ago, but I could only discover, I think, about six ways to end the game. And yeah, Impossible difficulty sure does seem impossible.

Looks really cool. So, a TBS of sorts? Kinda looks a bit like that Ghost Recon game I played on 3DS a while back.

Waiting for SmokyDave impressions.

Damn... I just bought an iPad 3 last month... anyway to trade up?
I bought my iPad a couple months ago, so I sort of feel your pain. I'm kind of tempted to sell mine and trade up, but I think I'm just going to wait for the next iteration. I was already thinking that it was going to be hard to justify upgrading in March, so this makes it easier to wait out the next model. That said, I'm really curious to hold one, if it's the same exact form factor I'll wait, but if they managed to return to the iPad 2 thinness and weight I'll be really, really tempted to get one if I can sell my 3 for a decent price, like $440 or so.

The Borderland game could be cool, I hope it's turn-based strategy, hard to tell by the screenshots. I guess it could also be an isometric twin shooter, which would be closer to the console games but less exciting IMO.

Well, after reading the article from that link, it sounds like it's an action-RPG where you control all four characters simultaneously. Should be interesting. Maybe kind of a mishmash of RTS and RPG.
Maybe it plays like that one RPG with touch controls? I can't remember the name and it's bugging the shit out of me, it has cartoony graphics and you have a healer, mage, tank, and rogue that you drag around. That'd be pretty cool. I'm just hoping it doesn't have twin-stick shooter controls.

kodt

Banned
I bought my iPad a couple months ago, so I sort of feel your pain. I'm kind of tempted to sell mine and trade up, but I think I'm just going to wait for the next iteration. I was already thinking that it was going to be hard to justify upgrading in March, so this makes it easier to wait out the next model. That said, I'm really curious to hold one, if it's the same exact form factor I'll wait, but if they managed to return to the iPad 2 thinness and weight I'll be really, really tempted to get one if I can sell my 3 for a decent price, like $440 or so.

I heard it weighs more actually. Might be a good reason to wait for the next revision. If they switch to a 6 month revision cycle I would possible wait 2 revisions.

Chinner

Banned
so would it be silly to get an ipad mini for gaming? its obviously given the ipad 2 longer legs but im worried for its long term usage for gmaing.

Smiley90

apple.com

There's no specs-page anywhere, only pictures with ads and text... and definitely no comparison to the iPad 3, because that's been taken off the website completely. Thought maybe someone here had prices for the different models and what's been improved at hand.

I'll just ask straight: Would it be better to buy an iPad 3 for cheap now or just go straight for the processor-improved 4?

Kouriozan

I'll just ask straight: Would it be better to buy an iPad 3 for cheap now or just go straight for the processor-improved 4?

I think it's better to wait for iPad 4, it's coming in 10 days and it's nearly the same price as iPad 3.
For specs I have this but it's in french.

Source for the 02/11 release date of iPad "4".

There's no specs-page anywhere, only pictures with ads and text... and definitely no comparison to the iPad 3, because that's been taken off the website completely. Thought maybe someone here had prices for the different models and what's been improved at hand.

No reason to buy an iPad 3rd generation anymore unless you get it for crazy cheap (like, $200). No one is going to sell it for a price that will make it a better buy than the iPad 2/mini and iPad 4th generation.

Smiley90

No reason to buy an iPad 3rd generation anymore unless you get it for crazy cheap (like, $200). No one is going to sell it for a price that will make it a better buy than the iPad 2/mini and iPad 4th generation.

Thanks, yeah, I was hoping for a pricedrop on the 3 that would make it worth it, but if it's not dropping in price, then... well... Now I'm scared there'll be an iPad 5 in spring though... THESE DEV CYCLES ARE TOO DAMN SHORT.

GeekyDad

Maybe it plays like that one RPG with touch controls? I can't remember the name and it's bugging the shit out of me, it has cartoony graphics and you have a healer, mage, tank, and rogue that you drag around. That'd be pretty cool. I'm just hoping it doesn't have twin-stick shooter controls.

Battleheart? Hmm...well, judging from those screens, there's a cover system and a bit more depth than Battleheart. Looks more like Elite Force: Unit 77 (DS):

GNJR1.jpg

Maybe it'll be like a Cannon Fodder with loot. :p

Smiley90

Battleheart? Hmm...well, judging from those screens, there's a cover system and a bit more depth than Battleheart. Looks more like Elite Force: Unit 77 (DS):

GNJR1.jpg

Maybe it'll be like a Cannon Fodder with loot. :p

I was scared for a second there, because I thought that was a new Borderlands: Legends pic and it looked like crap. Then realized it wasn't. -phuh-

HBP

Thanks, yeah, I was hoping for a pricedrop on the 3 that would make it worth it, but if it's not dropping in price, then... well... Now I'm scared there'll be an iPad 5 in spring though... THESE DEV CYCLES ARE TOO DAMN SHORT.

Apple dropped the refurb price for the 3 to $379, a decent savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom