• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The monthly thread is NOT for people in this thread, a lot of you are misunderstanding. If you follow this thread, you can ignore the other. The other is for new people/people who were away/people who dont want to follow this thread and just want a list of what we, over the course of a month, have deemed "worthy" of a best of title. Adding as we go sucks, because often it'll take us a while to judge quality.

Chinner

Banned
I think I like Sniv's idea of making the Best of iOS November thread in November, then updating as the month goes on.

Waiting a month to see which games actually panned out might be helpful, but who really wants to wait a month to find out? Then after finding out, who wants to discuss yesterday's news?

First week of the month where we wait to find out what's worth playing can be used by the thread starter to highlight the best of a genre, or something? Highlight the last week of the last month?
the OP wouldn't be those who regularly visit the thread. trying to cater for a different audience. if you're posting this thread on a weekly basis then chances are you have a decent idea of the ios gaming scene and the op would be just a novelty for you anyway!

the OP wouldn't be those who regularly visit the thread. trying to cater for a different audience. if you're posting this thread on a weekly basis then chances are you have a decent idea of the ios gaming scene and the op would be just a novelty for you anyway!

There's really no point having two different threads discussing iOS games. The monthly threads are a replacement for this thread, not to run alongside - a mod (I forget who, sorry) said that a move away from megathreads was favourable and that a monthly thread would be better.

If monthly threads start, this thread stops, therefore the only sensible option is for the OP to contain stuff about that month.

Chinner

Banned
i'm not disagreeing! i was referring to the OP of the monthly thread. the only detail i disagree is that i think the OP should contain highlights of the previous month.

i'm not disagreeing! i was referring to the OP of the monthly thread. the only detail i disagree is that i think the OP should contain highlights of the previous month.

In theory, a link to last month's OP should cover that, 'cause that would contain all the highlights of that month.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to quote you last time on that specific point, just making it clear in general that there isn't going to be two separate iOS threads, it's this or that and not both, 'cause there seems to be confusion!)

Smiley90

There's really no point having two different threads discussing iOS games. The monthly threads are a replacement for this thread, not to run alongside - a mod (I forget who, sorry) said that a move away from megathreads was favourable and that a monthly thread would be better.

If monthly threads start, this thread stops, therefore the only sensible option is for the OP to contain stuff about that month.

You misunderstand. The second thread is NOT for discussion. It's a summary of the month for people who do NOT follow this thread. This one wont die.

Heel

I read the thread regularly and still don't leave with any idea of what GAF as a whole thinks is worth playing, haha. I'd like for us to facilitate that discussion and be able to come to a consensus, which I don't think simply switching to a monthly thread would accomplish.

I think it should somehow be the thread's decision of what's worth playing, not what the thread starter decides...

Smiley90

In theory, a link to last month's OP should cover that, 'cause that would contain all the highlights of that month.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to quote you last time on that specific point, just making it clear in general that there isn't going to be two separate iOS threads, it's this or that and not both, 'cause there seems to be confusion!)

There WILL be two. One for discussion for people here, one for summary for outsiders.

You misunderstand. The second thread is NOT for discussion. It's a summary of the month for people who do NOT follow this thread. This one wont die.

No, seriously, a mod stated a preference for a move to monthly threads rather than this thread keeping going.

You misunderstand!

Heel

#TeamSmiley90

5Y3xt.jpg

Smiley90

No, seriously, a mod stated a preference for a move to monthly threads rather than this thread keeping going.

You misunderstand!

In a seminar right now, but that's what we decided upon before, can't search now, but that's what it is, regardless of what a mod says. They're not gods.

I think it should somehow be the thread's decision of what's worth playing, not what the thread starter decides...

The way I see the OP is a bunch of games the poster enjoys that they want to recommend, since it'll be a different person each month and it's always fun to get recommendations like that. Either themed or not, just whatever the poster decides.

Then it'll be a summary of stuff they find interesting that month as they're released.

Then, most importantly, it'll be a summary of the games people in the thread are talking about with links to discussion, or quotes of interesting posts, or whatever. As I said before, a kind of Cliff's Notes of that month's thread, but with the poster's own little spin on it.

EDIT: Obviously I'll get behind however the forum wants to do it, I just think that's the best way for monthly threads to go. It means that discussion stays in one place instead of being both in this thread and last month's monthly thread, for example, and it keeps everyone here in the same threads at the same time, to keep the community in tact and less segregated.

xJavonta

Banned

You misunderstand!

I actually think the mod said the monthly threads could co-exist with this thread. I'm too lazy to find the post though but I'm almost positive that's what was said.

bonesquad

Anyone mention Borderlands Legends in this topic yet?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/22/borderlands-legends-headed-to-iphone-and-ipad

The news breaking tonight is a leak. Look for a good bit of coverage (including footage) later this week on IGN (and presumably other sites).

Whoa. The mention of in game money and upgrades you can buy screams consumable IAP, not to mention I've yet to play a shooting game I've really enjoyed on iOS, but I love Borderlands...

Smiley90

I actually think the mod said the monthly threads could co-exist with this thread. I'm too lazy to find the post though but I'm almost positive that's what was said.

I think so too, but not on a comp to search. But I'm 99% sure when we talked about this a month ago and came up with the idea, that's what we decided on.

Thread A: this one, where we keep doing what we do, ask questions, discuss new games, discuss updates, news announcements, bugs, help, etc. nothing changes, it's for us "regulars"

Thread B: At the end of the month, someone who followed this thread closely makes up an OP with a list of noteworthy games that came out this month (maybe with an extra list for themes or whatnot). This thread is NOT for discussions of what happens during the month, it's for people who, for whatever reason, don't follow this thread and quickly want a glance of what happened without being intimidted by this thread.

xJavonta

Banned
I think so too, but not on a comp to search. But I'm 99% sure when we talked about this a month ago and came up with the idea, that's what we decided on.

Thread A: this one, where we keep doing what we do, ask questions, discuss new games, discuss updates, news announcements, bugs, help, etc. nothing changes, it's for us "regulars"

Thread B: At the end of the month, someone who followed this thread closely makes up an OP with a list of noteworthy games that came out this month (maybe with an extra list for themes or whatnot). This thread is NOT for discussions of what happens during the month, it's for people who, for whatever reason, don't follow this thread and quickly want a glance of what happened without being intimidted by this thread.
Yeah that's sounds good to me. For all the "casual" iOS gamers that want to know what's out there they can pop into the less intimidating monthly threads and us vets will continue to do our thing in this thead.

Yeah Carmegeddon is kind of bad. Not that it is a bad port necessarily, but the original game just wasn't that good. I think it was so well liked simply because you could run over people and see the gibs, which at the time was still pretty novel.

you are wrong and probably too young to have played this game when it came out. It's a fun arcade racing game with a lot of character. you clearly are missing the point, the violence and gibs are not why carmageddon is awesome.

I just don't really see the point of Thread B. You're asking someone to put quite a lot of effort into a thread that nobody in this thread is going to care about (because they know it already), full of information that anyone else could basically just find on TouchArcade's homepage if they were so inclined. I'm not sure who it's meant to be for. Nobody comes into this thread looking for the games we played last month, they're either looking for the games people consider awesome overall, or the games we're playing NOW. And it means people won't know where to discuss games. "Do we discuss October's games in October's thread because it was released in October, or do we discuss them here even though it's November now?" etc. You're just segregating the community for no real benefit to anyone that's a part of it.

As I said, iOS is current, and the people that game on it are constantly looking for the next-big-thing. There aren't that many games that last longer than a week in GAF's mind, so any thread made at the end of the month is hilariously out of date already. Games that are good enough to go beyond that initial-release-hype period and genuinely catch on deserve an OT (a la Super Hexagon) rather than a place in a round-up a month later.

Zzoram

What are the 7 ways to win Rebuild?

Reclaim whole city, escape to cabin, helicopter, cure, beat subway gang and new constitution are all I have. I can't figure out what else there could be.

Also, Impossible difficulty might actually be impossible. I always die so fast.

Smiley90

I just don't really see the point of Thread B. You're asking someone to put quite a lot of effort into a thread that nobody in this thread is going to care about (because they know it already), full of information that anyone else could basically just find on TouchArcade's homepage if they were so inclined.

The difference is that we're not TouchArcade... Theoretically, all the info in this thread could ALSO be found on toucharcade, including their forums with discussions and all. If people preferred that, they wouldn't be here, right? But they're here, so that argument doesn't really have any ground. There's a reason we're all here. Also, I'm not personally asking people to do it, it wasn't even my idea to begin with. People came forward OFFERING to do this. If noone wants to do it, we certainly won't force anyone to do it. Also, pretty sure people in this thread would still care about it. Maybe you won't, maybe others won't, but a lot of people don't look at this thread every day and don't want to sift through 5 pages to catch up. They'd prefer to just look at the summary thread at the end of the month to see what they've missed.

I'm not sure who it's meant to be for. Nobody comes into this thread looking for the games we played last month, they're either looking for the games people consider awesome overall, or the games we're playing NOW.

I don't know about you, but I've been following this thread for a few month now and this happens CONSTANTLY. I don't really understand why people coming in looking for new games would be like "no man, that game came out MORE THAN 40 DAYS AGO, you think I'd play that shit?"? You think that'd happen? If people are really that way and want to know what's being played RIGHT NOW, then coming here and asking is definitely a good idea. If they just want to know what some CONFIRMED GOOD games (not just "hot right now", but confirmed "best of the month games" are, they can take a quick look at the other thread. I can't imagine people dismissing games just because they're more than 10 days or old whatnot.

And it means people won't know where to discuss games. "Do we discuss October's games in October's thread because it was released in October, or do we discuss them here even though it's November now?" etc.

I've said this before, but the solution is fairly simple. Discussions of news/current events/current games, etc, can all happen here. This is the "free for all" thread. Ask about a game from February 2011 if you want! The other thread will always be specifically about the games released that month, and people can ask questions like "ooh why didn't game X make the list?" "can someone please tell me a bit more about game y, it looks interesting?". Because this thread moves so fast that questions about non-current games, esp if they're not "everlasting" games like Infinity Blade, those questions oftentimes get ignored/not answered, in favour of talking about more current events. The other thread will be the perfect opportunity for people out of the loop to ask questions more freely about past events. We'll have enough helpful people in here to help them out over there, and if we can't answer their questions, we'll invite them over here to ask to hopefully adress more people and maybe someone here will remember/be able to help.

You're just segregating the community for no real benefit to anyone that's a part of it.

Noone's segregating the community. I already said, people who follow this thread can keep following this thread and not care about the other, they won't miss anything, since they're here anyway. The other thread is for NEW people, who are intimidated by this thread or can't afford to follow it closely, who just wanna keep in touch with the iOS scene without reading 5 pages each day. If anything, creating a 2nd thread will BROADEN the audience and bring in new members. If you ALSO want to follow the other thread, you're more than welcome to do so.

As I said, iOS is current, and the people that game on it are constantly looking for the next-big-thing. There aren't that many games that last longer than a week in GAF's mind, so any thread made at the end of the month is hilariously out of date already. Games that are good enough to go beyond that initial-release-hype period and genuinely catch on deserve an OT (a la Super Hexagon) rather than a place in a round-up a month later.

See, I know exactly what you're saying, and I totally agree with everything, which is why THIS THREAD will serve EXACTLY that purpose. What I disagree with is the premise that ALL people think like this. Yes, people like you, me, many in here probably follow this thread closely, see what the hot game of the week is, play it, then forget about it. What you're ignoring is that there are tons of people out there who don't care if a game came out today, a week ago or 2 month ago. If they come in here and ask "guys tell me what good games are out now!" and people only give them info on what came out this week, because it's hot, they'll miss out on all the awesome releases of the past 2, 3, 4 weeks, because this thread has moved on. That doesn't mean those games are bad and not recommendable, that simply means they're not "hot" in this thread right now. They'll be collected at the end of the month and put up for people who are looking for good games. Hell, maybe even one of us regulars misses a game or two, or simply forgets to buy it, and then at the end of the month gets reminded again!

EDIT: That post got way too big...

Yes, people like you, me, many in here probably follow this thread closely, see what the hot game of the week is, play it, then forget about it.

I don't. :-(

I've been playing a game (Eliss) that came out over three years ago!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think the plan were to kill off this thread for the monthly ones.

That's how I understand it. Keeping two threads running parallel would just turn one of the threads into a graveyard, or cause too much repetition between them.

Simply getting rid of this thread and making it monthly would be pointless guys.

It's for finding out what new games are worth playing without having to sift through 'X game is on sale', 'is infinity blade dungeon out?', 'my favorite Japanese rhythm game got updated', 'this game was announced, hype!', etc. which have their place and should continue here.

Well this idea isn't so bad - if all the port begging and people asking "is IB Dungeons out yet??" went in here it would make the other thread far less annoying :p

But really no, I don't agree it's the right way to go.

I wouldn't mind doing next month's monthly thread. I haven't kept up much this month but I'll try to next month.

Edit: Wait, the monthly threads are a recap of what happened the month prior, right?

The monthly thread should be up to date on what is happening RIGHT NOW. The OP should be a reflection of the discussion and hype going on in the community at the time of writing. The best time for an update would probably be on the weekend once the weeks releases have been digested a little.

The monthly thread is NOT for people in this thread, a lot of you are misunderstanding. If you follow this thread, you can ignore the other. The other is for new people/people who were away/people who dont want to follow this thread and just want a list of what we, over the course of a month, have deemed "worthy" of a best of title. Adding as we go sucks, because often it'll take us a while to judge quality.

I really don't think the community is big enough to sustain this kind of parallel threading. Imagine if all the people who are really into iOS ignored the monthly thread - it would be empty and devoid of interesting discussion. And if that was the case, then what is either thread FOR exactly?

Or, oddly, it could end up with there being two distinct iOS communities, and that would be weird and could only end in a bloody war of attrition!

I think adding as we go is the only way it could really work. It would give smaller games room to breathe a little too - if the lists were made a month later in retrospect then a lot of smaller games would be forgotten in favour of that month's biggest releases.

Bang on the money. Especially wrt to the mods, they're definitely supportive of a move away from mega threads.

Anyway, who's up for making the thread when Nov rolls around? I vote Wario64!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just don't really see the point of Thread B. You're asking someone to put quite a lot of effort into a thread that nobody in this thread is going to care about (because they know it already), full of information that anyone else could basically just find on TouchArcade's homepage if they were so inclined. I'm not sure who it's meant to be for. Nobody comes into this thread looking for the games we played last month, they're either looking for the games people consider awesome overall, or the games we're playing NOW. And it means people won't know where to discuss games. "Do we discuss October's games in October's thread because it was released in October, or do we discuss them here even though it's November now?" etc. You're just segregating the community for no real benefit to anyone that's a part of it.

I see what you're getting at here and (I think) I agree with you. It's not like you can only discuss games released in November in the November thread. If you get into Eliss then by all means discuss it in that month's thread (again, just like how comicsGAF works - the monthly nature of the threads is just to break up these unweildy mega threads and to have a more relevant and useful OP).

So the monthly would (just like this thread) be focussed on what's happening now, but people can also talk about classics too if they happen to be interested in them.

IMO, the monthly threads would be almost exactly the same as this one, apart from a more fleshed out OP and the fact that it will last for 30 days (or 31 in some cases, 28 just once a year apart from every four years when it will be 29)

SteveWD40

The monthly thread makes sense, sort of the like the pick-ups thread. The iOS market moves so fast that any longer and it just ends up a mess and good games are lost in the mix.

I too vote Wario :D

I've always seen the idea of a monthly thread similar to the way the College Football and NFL threads have always been run. It keeps everything feeling fresh, and it is always fun to see a new thread title, and see what the OT looks like for that month.

I certainly agree with the idea that two threads would create segregation that this community doesn't need, nor can sustain.

GeekyDad

Another very important thing to keep in mind is that yellow and red glyphs do not have the full span of glyph types...check the help screen to understand which ones they can produce.

Yeah, I've been having a little trouble with this, actually. It doesn't tell you what specific glyphs you can roll with the yellow and red dice. I might try and email the developer and see what they say. I feel like I'm wasting my item cards half the time.

EDIT: Never mind. A search found these:

BU3SA.jpg
6rQwc.jpg
dpuFD.jpg

So, it looks like these are all the possible outcomes for their respective dice.

I have a fairly random question. I stumbled accross Out Zone on the app store, a port of an old Toaplan arcade game. Anyway, the iOS version is pretty much ruined by shitty controls, although it seems to be a solid port apart from that. I was looking for information about it and found a Touch Arcade thread where a poster mentioned that this wasn't the first Toaplan game to come to iOS. Anyone know what other games he was referring to? Google didn't provide any answers

PittaGAF

Yeah, I've been having a little trouble with this, actually. It doesn't tell you what specific glyphs you can roll with the yellow and red dice. I might try and email the developer and see what they say. I feel like I'm wasting my item cards half the time.

EDIT: Never mind. A search found these:

BU3SA.jpg
6rQwc.jpg
dpuFD.jpg

So, it looks like these are all the possible outcomes for their respective dice.

As you can see, both yellow and red glyphs trade a terror for improved investigate and, in case of red, what I call the super glyph (you can transform it in what you want).
It's something to keep in mind when you need terrors, not to waste your precious colored glyphs slots.
In doubt, always check the in game help...it's pretty complete and get to the point fast.

Who are you fighting against now?

oipic

Resident non-entity chiming in with an opinion here... but monthly threads work well, I reckon. A benefit is that they tend to appear less overwhelming and intimidating to new folk, and having a topical, shiny and new OP each month can help to invite fresh discussion, too.

As Jedeye Sniv said earlier, the monthly cycle works well for ComicsGAF, and as a daily lurker in both threads, I could see it working similarly here.

Two iOS gaming threads is likely to get messy, IMO, and one is likely to suffer for the other.

GeekyDad

As you can see, both yellow and red glyphs trade a terror for improved investigate and, in case of red, what I call the super glyph (you can transform it in what you want).
It's something to keep in mind when you need terrors, not to waste your precious colored glyphs slots.
In doubt, always check the in game help...it's pretty complete and get to the point fast.

Who are you fighting against now?

Ah, still fighting Yig. :p

I've won quite a few games at this point, but the one time I tried a harder ancient, I got annihilated fast.

I kinda hope Fantasy Flight brings the full game of Arkham Horror to iOS now after enjoying Elder Sign.

Chinner

Banned
Aw crap lost my Carmageddon save. That's not cool. I had fun while it lasted I guess...

pretty sure theres a way to get it back....also a update came out yesterday for carmageddon fixing that.

We have found in a few cases the following steps have made the save slot reappear. We are continuing to look into this issue to resolve it.

If you find your save data is missing, DO NOT MAKE A NEW SAVE.
Close the app including from the task bar.
Make sure you have a good 3G or wifi connection
Go to Settings and turn on Airplane Mode
Launch Carmageddon again
Close the app again
Turn Airplane mode back off again
Wait for either wifi or 3G single to connect again
Launch Carmageddon, saves should be present

kodt

Banned
you are wrong and probably too young to have played this game when it came out. It's a fun arcade racing game with a lot of character. you clearly are missing the point, the violence and gibs are not why carmageddon is awesome.

Except I did play it when it came out?

And all I did is run people over for hours. I never actually attempted to finish a race. I had friends over and all we did is just run people over. Perhaps I was too young when it came out to care about the actual racing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

And all I did is run people over for hours. I never actually attempted to finish a race. I had friends over and all we did is just run people over. Perhaps I was too young when it came out to care about the actual racing.

You're right, it's a terrible racing game really. It's not even a race, the other cars aren't doing laps or anything, they're just trying to kill you. Honestly, if you're going for a full-ped run, the most challenging thing is NOT killing all the other oppenents as you're trying to kill the peds.

But still, it's fun. Going fast is fun. Doing big jumps and abusing the weird physics is fun. And gibbing sprites is fun.

Maybe I'm just too easily pleased.

heringer

You're right, it's a terrible racing game really. It's not even a race, the other cars aren't doing laps or anything, they're just trying to kill you. Honestly, if you're going for a full-ped run, the most challenging thing is NOT killing all the other oppenents as you're trying to kill the peds.

But still, it's fun. Going fast is fun. Doing big jumps and abusing the weird physics is fun. And gibbing sprites is fun.

Maybe I'm just too easily pleased.

You simply have a shitty taste man. It happens. :)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

It's not a racing game. It's a twisted metal like game where you can race. You should be aiming to destroy the cars to get more time.

I never played carmageddon when I was younger but I absolutely love the ios version. Probably one of my most played games already. Play it on my iPad and my iPhone.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wonder what's up with Dash Kappei (OP of this thread), he was one of the most dedicated iOS-GAF members and he'd help a lot with the idea of a monthly thread. Last time he posted he said he had things prepared for this thread and the GAF challenge. Also, the GAF GC list has been on hold since then. :( Dash, stop vacationing and come back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom