• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming |Thread5| From Zero to Gaming Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyDad

I was scared for a second there, because I thought that was a new Borderlands: Legends pic and it looked like crap. Then realized it wasn't. -phuh-

Ha, old DS game already. Kind of one of those guilty pleasure games for me. I thought it was pretty good, but it went mostly unnoticed last gen. It's kind of a tactical Cannon Fodder if you will. It's a lot more than merely running and gunning, but your squad is handled in similar fashion to Cannon Fodder.

Pachimari

The Borderlands game doesn't attract me, were actually hoping for FPS.

Also, I'm buying iPad Mini for notes, reading eric and then use my iPad 2 as a game hub.

The Borderlands game doesn't attract me, were actually hoping for FPS.

Also, I'm buying iPad Mini for notes, reading eric and then use my iPad 2 as a game hub.

I understand what you're saying and actually think it looks good for the precisely opposite reason, lol.

I like RTS style game within the Borderlands world. Plus it looks shaaaaaaarp.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I understand what you're saying and actually think it looks good for the precisely opposite reason, lol.

I like RTS style game within the Borderlands world. Plus it looks shaaaaaaarp.

After playing X-COM for the past week, a Borderlands RTS/TBS/whatever sounds just about right.

xJavonta

Banned
Holy shit Borderlands: Legends looks sick. Instabuy.

And I'm so glad I have an iPad 2. Great device but it's time to go retina with the iPad 4. I'll use the iPad 2 reselling money towards my moms iPad Mini Xmas gift.

Edit: WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT THE FUCK? WHY does the iPad Mini get Siri but not the iPad 2?!?! They're the same thing!

Battleheart? Hmm...well, judging from those screens, there's a cover system and a bit more depth than Battleheart. Looks more like Elite Force: Unit 77 (DS):

GNJR1.jpg

Maybe it'll be like a Cannon Fodder with loot. :p

Yeah, Battleheart! I wish more someone would rip off the concept and make a newer version, that game pretty perfectly translated MMO-style team mechanics to touch controls.

sangreal

Tried Super Crate Box but found it pretty impossible to control. Not sure if it is because I'm fat and uncoordinated or because it lacks iPhone 5 support

I was really angry at first about the ipad 3 to 4 thing but the more I think about it, I can leave it for now and stick with what I have. I video stream more then game on the thing and plan to buy the 5g touch this week for testing my game on a wide screen device, no rush for a new ipad yet.

Holy shit Borderlands: Legends looks sick. Instabuy.

And I'm so glad I have an iPad 2. Great device but it's time to go retina with the iPad 4. I'll use the iPad 2 reselling money towards my moms iPad Mini Xmas gift.

Edit: WAIT WAIT WAIT WHAT THE FUCK? WHY does the iPad Mini get Siri but not the iPad 2?!?! They're the same thing!

marketing shit I presume, and that the mini has twice the ram then the ipad 2, not that it should matter for Siri.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iPad 2 kind of feels like the iPhone 3GS in terms of staying power now.

In any case, if you're all satisfied with how your devices perform there's no reason to be freaking out. Even if this update didn't exist a refresh would happen next march/april with 100% certainty (it may still happen for all we know). I'm sure there won't be any games that will be released in the next 5 months that will run like shit in an iPad 3, so relax and use some cognitive dissonance to pretend you have the latest model until next spring. (Unless you want to enjoy higher resale value, in that case do it now before people wise-up!)

Fusebox

Banned
So, the new iPad 4 (or whatever we're calling it) would that eliminate the occasional frame stutters I'm getting in The Walking Dead?

Ooh, and could I play GoFII in retina mode with a stable framerate?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Fuu, there already are games that don't perform great on iPad3 since its resolution was too high for its specs, with some devs even reducing the visual quality compared to how they run on iPad2 (see Nova 3). Perhaps now that there's a new iPad that may be able to handle those games without such downgrades (or for other games without having to reduce the resolution instead of run natively) less of them will even offer such (not so great to begin with) options making them perform even worse on iPad3. The more devices with different specs, aspect ratios, etc, the harder it is for devs to make games perform and look great on all. Especially since the games market isn't exactly relying on high or even medium budget productions for the most part.

Apple should focus on less options imo. Phone, Pad, Touch (the last a little larger and running Pad stuff, not Phone, but not as large as the Pad mini), all with the same base specs and aspect ratios, just lower resolution screens and underclocked CPUs etc for the Phone and Touch, but in theory keeping performance across all of them consistent. And when there's a hardware refresh/upgrade, do it for all of them at once, and preferably not yearly. Or, I guess upgrading one model each year with 3 years for the whole range to be upgraded (and so even more before they all become obsolete and are not catered for) would be okay too. Also focus on OS/software features and services to keep the hype/sales (and other revenue, services can be sold) instead of only new specs.

Shaneus

Wait, did I miss something? A new iPad 4 getting released... is that in addition to the "mini" or is that the new name for the mini?

Fuu

Fuu, there already are games that don't perform great on iPad3 since its resolution was too high for its specs, with some devs even reducing the visual quality compared to how they run on iPad2 (see Nova 3). Perhaps now that there's a new iPad that may be able to handle those games without such downgrades (or for other games without having to reduce the resolution instead of run natively) less of them will even offer such (not so great to begin with) options making them perform even worse on iPad3.

Apple should have focused on less options imo. Phone, Pad, Touch, all with the same base specs and aspect ratios, just lower resolution screens and underclocked CPUs etc for the Phone and Touch, but in theory keeping performance across all of them consistent. And when there's a hardware refresh/upgrade, do it for all of them at once, and preferably not yearly. Or, I guess upgrading one model each year with 3 years for the whole range to be upgraded would be okay too.
What I mean is that even with the new model being released now the situation will stay largely the same as it would until next spring, when the refresh was expected to happen anyway. My point is that it being released 5 months in advance doesn't drastically change the landscape of how things would be gaming-wise in those last "iPad 3rd gen months". I may be wrong, but I don't think there will be a lot of devs who will release iPad 4-focused games so quickly, at least not as differently than they would if the refresh was announced in March instead. The spec/res situation was known since the first iPad 2-3 comparisons came out, so anyone wanting a more future-proof device for games should have waited for the next model with a better chip.

You have a point with the different devices angle, I do hope devs won't totally ignore the iPad 3 when it comes to optimizing. I'm one of the suckers (bought it last month) and in the end I'm glad I'm not pissed. More worrisome than a surprise early upgrade is the 3rd gen model being completely phased-out by Apple on their site. I don't know how developers deal with this particular circumstance as far as taking said model into account for optimizations, so it is one of the things we'll have to wait and see.

Totally agree that it's getting a little hectic and I hope they're planning to get more parity between the iDevices in the future.

Wait, did I miss something? A new iPad 4 getting released... is that in addition to the "mini" or is that the new name for the mini?
It's in addition to the mini. They announced a refresh for the 10 inches model, now it has an A6X chip, the lightning connector and an HD front camera.

PittaGAF

YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!

Just defeated Cthulhu in Elder Sign: Omens.

Sooooooo good!!!
Sooooooo tense!!!!!!

I think I've found a very easy way to do it too...just refined my previous tactict.
I was able to defeat him with just one man....the Ancient One never had chance!!!
But to get there....WOAH!!! What a ride!!!!

Alaska, here I come!

About the new iPad 4.

In all honesty, the only thing it has over the iPad 3 is the improved processor, same as iPhone 5, possibly higher frequency.
Well...there aren't pratically games that really use that processor so far...maybe things will change with RR3 or IB:D but they are just 2 titles and not even that close.
I bet that when many games will start to really use the A6, the iPad 5 will be already here (maybe with a quad processor and the new graphic core).
I wouldn't freak out if one has the iPad 3...at max, now, you get some more frames in very few games. It is still the great device it was some hours ago.

Recommend me some games people so far I have TWEWY, Pizza Vs Skeletons & Rayman Jungle Run. I am new to IOS gaming so tell me what I've been missing out on.

Recommend me some games people so far I have TWEWY, Pizza Vs Skeletons & Rayman Jungle Run. I am new to IOS gaming so tell me what I've been missing out on.

Super Hexagon, which is very challenging and one of my favorite games of this year. A couple more highlights for me have been Beat Sneak Bandit (rhythm stealth puzzle) and Swift Stitch. Hard for me to put into words what kind of game this is. I guess twitch-based maze? Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHfnynlkS04

Miker

Is TWEWY playable on an iPhone? I saw some iPad screenshots and it looked painful enough to play, but a phone version (that hasn't been updated to iPhone 5?) would probably be impossible. Anybody tried it?

GeekyDad

YEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!!

Just defeated Cthulhu in Elder Sign: Omens.

Sooooooo good!!!
Sooooooo tense!!!!!!

I think I've found a very easy way to do it too...just refined my previous tactict.
I was able to defeat him with just one man....the Ancient One never had chance!!!
But to get there....WOAH!!! What a ride!!!!

Congrats.

Out of curiosity, what new mechanics/dice do the expansions offer?

After having so much fun with the vibe of this game, I decided to give Call of Cthulhu another go. It's got some weird pacing, but it's a decent TBS game. The controls are the only real issue, but it's manageable.

Fuu

Is TWEWY playable on an iPhone? I saw some iPad screenshots and it looked painful enough to play, but a phone version (that hasn't been updated to iPhone 5?) would probably be impossible. Anybody tried it?
Perfectly playable, I did everything in the game on an iPhone 4 including the post-game content, beating high level extra bosses etc.

Miker

Perfectly playable, I did everything in the game on an iPhone 4 including the post-game content, beating high level extra bosses etc.

Great, thanks. I'm kind of shocked, honestly, because those screenshots didn't make it look very playable.

Fuu

Great, thanks. I'm kind of shocked, honestly, because those screenshots didn't make it look very playable.
I don't know about the iPad version but it plays and looks good on the iPhone, for some reason the screenshots look like ass and don't really do this version justice. I posted some (long) impressions throughout this thread if you're interested.

Miker

I don't know about the iPad version but it plays and looks good on the iPhone, for some reason the screenshots look like ass and don't really do this version justice. I posted some (long) impressions throughout this thread if you're interested.

Yeah, I've been thumbing through that thread. Thanks a bunch!

Fusebox

Banned
Goddamn TWD ep 3, I was choking up on the train to work this morning,
RIP Duck.
That was some legit sad drawn-out shit.

PittaGAF

Congrats.

Out of curiosity, what new mechanics/dice do the expansions offer?

Can't talk about Ithaqua campaign because I have yet to try it, but as for the Cthulhu one they added:

a new story with cutscenes
a new setting (different from the museum)
many new encounters and monsters
new investigators
'direct' fight with the Ancient One (in the vanilla game as soon as you gather enough Elder signs you are done...in the new campaign it is not)
The new investigative mechanic...while you play the 'normal' game you have to conduct an actual investigation, using in each encounter additional clue glyphs (or buying them) to reach a certain amount of 'clues' about something campaign related I won't spoil.
Meanwhile you must play certain encounters to get some special items.
It's very cool, if you like the vanilla game you will love it, despite being harder.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I thought the ipad mini would have been a cool replacement for my ipod touch 4g for ios gaming on the train to work, but $329 for only 16gb? I think ill get one of the new ipod touches.

I thought the ipad mini would have been a cool replacement for my ipod touch 4g for ios gaming on the train to work, but $329 for only 16gb? I think ill get one of the new ipod touches.

New iPod is only $30 less.

And it can't offer you iPad only games.

One kf the few cases that I'd recommend the iPad ATM lol.

GeekyDad

Can't talk about Ithaqua campaign because I have yet to try it, but as for the Cthulhu one they added:

a new story with cutscenes
a new setting (different from the museum)
many new encounters and monsters
new investigators
'direct' fight with the Ancient One (in the vanilla game as soon as you gather enough Elder signs you are done...in the new campaign it is not)
The new investigative mechanic...while you play the 'normal' game you have to conduct an actual investigation, using in each encounter additional clue glyphs (or buying them) to reach a certain amount of 'clues' about something campaign related I won't spoil.
Meanwhile you must play certain encounters to get some special items.
It's very cool, if you like the vanilla game you will love it, despite being harder.

Well, I finally did beat both other bosses, so perhaps I'll nab those expansions as well. Addictive game!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Aw man, wanted to end my Zookeeper battle session with a streak of 11 wins over 22 battles (only lost a few, not half) but I lost :(

PittaGAF

Well, I finally did beat both other bosses, so perhaps I'll nab those expansions as well. Addictive game!

If you loved the vanilla game, you will rave about the expansions.
I'm already in Alaska now...AMAZING, loving every (frozen) minute of it.
I love how they twist the same mechanic to have you doing different things wrapped in a compelling story (the expansions have more story than the vanilla game which is tense but a bit barebone on that part).
Great game that I really hope will be further expanded, each expansion is a huge step up compared to the previous game, which was already addicting to booth.

Fuu

I'm not enjoying the new prize system in Zookeeper Battle, it just means I won't win shit ever because I don't have as much time to play it. I can win battles pretty consistently but I don't have time to win hundreds of them to get a top spot before the event is over.

With the previous system if I managed to win a certain number of battles during the event I would get something regardless of how many points more other players have. I wish they didn't completely remove that system, imo there's place for that type of event and the current ranking battles thing.

Zeth

I've spent $15 on zookeeper battle. What a brilliant model, lmao.

There's a link for Real Racing 3 on the 4th gen iPad page at Apple but it goes to RR2. Are we expecting it soon? Maybe for the new iPads launching?

Has Eyelord been discussed? Seems like a great game.

GeekyDad

Only able to get past Yig currently.
Having Kate Winthrop (ignore Terror effects) seemed to help a lot.

Yeah, I tried a different strategy that seemed to work quite well. I was approaching creating a party of investigators in the way the game presents the opening to you. But then it occurred to me that using fewer investigators means less sharing of trophies, which allowed me to purchase elder signs a lot faster. I went with two investigators against the hardest ancient (from the main game), and I was able to beat him pretty quickly, and that was with his cheap +3-doom-midnight rounds twice in a row.

If you loved the vanilla game, you will rave about the expansions.
I'm already in Alaska now...AMAZING, loving every (frozen) minute of it.
I love how they twist the same mechanic to have you doing different things wrapped in a compelling story (the expansions have more story than the vanilla game which is tense but a bit barebone on that part).
Great game that I really hope will be further expanded, each expansion is a huge step up compared to the previous game, which was already addicting to booth.

Awesome. At first, I didn't think the expansions would be worth the money, but once you wrap your head around the mechanics, this game is really hard to put down. It's an absolute perfect fit for iOS. Needs async multiplayer, though.

PittaGAF

Awesome. At first, I didn't think the expansions would be worth the money, but once you wrap your head around the mechanics, this game is really hard to put down. It's an absolute perfect fit for iOS. Needs async multiplayer, though.

Yeah I really wish they had async mutiplayer in.
Seems a perfect match.
Well...I wish it was universal too.
I do not even know how much the expansions are...as soon as I finished the vanilla game I bought the Cthulhu one, and didn't regret it AT ALL.
When I completed Cthulhu, I bought immediately the Itaqua one.

I do hope they will pump out more campaigns, possibily with even more settings and story...I already fear tonight I'll banish Itaqua from this World.

I'll replay both extra campaign for sure with random parties.

I got my iPod touch yesterday (went with the 64GB...traded an old iPod to Amazon and only paid $354 total for it). I can tell you that the screen on this thing is amazing. Battery life is great too. You won't be disappointed if you go for the Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom