• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
Minsc said:
Of course there's an argument that there are few "real" games on iOS. Where are the $20+ million AAA blockbusters? Where do I find a new, exclusive 40 hour RPG with cutscenes, FMV, VA, etc. What is there like Bayonetta, Neir, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Vanquish, God of War, Final Fantasy XV, Super Mario Galaxy, etc, that's not a watered down experience?

Oh man, you almost make it sound like there were no games before the PSX. Your list basically implies there were no "real" games on the Atari!

the biggest crime about this thread is that I see less and less pics in here... when you even mention a game barely I'd like to see a pic at least... not a wall of text

on that note, look this free one up... havent played ityet

Missill

http://itunes.apple.com/app/missill-kawaii/id414465866?mt=8

mzl.jxeehldg.320x480-75.jpg

Eeikod

Guys I just got an Iphone4 and I'm looking for some games to try it out. So far I decided on Battlehearts as it seems pretty popular here, any other must have?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
PalaceBrother said:
Zen Puzzle Garden just got mentioned by @AppStore on Twitter. How did your team's game get selected? I'm curious as to whether the recommendations are internally decided on @ Apple or if it is a marketing arrangement.

Wasn't anything we planned or specifically asked for. As far as we know the AppStore Twitter is just as much of a black box as any promotion on iTunes.

I can see the ranks for the game have jumped a little, so it has had an impact on sales (won't know exactly how many sales for a couple days). Doesn't seem a mention there is a kingmaker like a banner on the App Store front page though.

Mario said:
Wasn't anything we planned or specifically asked for. As far as we know the AppStore Twitter is just as much of a black box as any promotion on iTunes.

I can see the ranks for the game have jumped a little, so it has had an impact on sales (won't know exactly how many sales for a couple days). Doesn't seem a mention there is a kingmaker like a banner on the App Store front page though.

Cool, thanks for answering! I suspected it was as you described, a "black box".

hyp

Eeikod said:
Guys I just got an Iphone4 and I'm looking for some games to try it out. So far I decided on Battlehearts as it seems pretty popular here, any other must have?

imo:

infinity blade
super stick golf
pizza boy
eboy fixpix
espgaluda ii
kosmo spin
rage hd
game dev story

just to name a few...

bryehn

Mejilan said:
Would someone like to talk to me (us) about Ascendancy?
Looks intriguing, but the bugs mentioned in some of the reviews and the relatively high price have me hesitating. I know nothing of the original game...

Holy shit, Ascendancy? I put at least 50 hours into that game. I'll buy it buggy or not.

qsh

Neo Member
I didn't sleep whole night because of the excitement that I feel, when I share with you, that PIXFALL: Try to score 50.000! has become a huge success.
Players around the world are accepting the challenge to score the fabled 50.000, as we see tens of thousands of them downloading the game.

Great news from our side keep coming.

We would like to ask you to make this fully official and inform your readers, that we will award first player to score
50.000 in PIXFALL with a brand new iPod Touch, PlayStation 3 or an Xbox 360!
We already submitted the version 1.1. It delivers better collision system, iOS 4.0 support and graphic tweaks.
Apple features PIXFALL as New and Noteworthy. We are very thankful and use it as a proof of originality and quality behind PIXFALL.
In the meantime we prepared a short trailer of the game. Just head over to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfY5sCMU-A4
PIXFALL: Try to score 50.000! is also very high at the App Store among free arcade games in UK, Germany, Japan and Poland!

I am also very pleased to tell you, that the game remains FREE!

Just to remind you:

APP INFO:

Category: Arcade/Action

Release date: 27.01.2011

Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixfall-try-to-score-50-000/id415172437?mt=8

Price: FREE

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
bryehn said:
Holy shit, Ascendancy? I put at least 50 hours into that game. I'll buy it buggy or not.
Sounds like you're well qualified to sell me on the game, then!
:D

protonion

Adventure fans should check Scarlett and the Spark of Life: Episode 1.

ScarlettScreenshot4.png

ScarlettLaunchScreen2.png

I haven't played it yet but the reviews are very positive.

As I was searching for adventures I also came across Shadow's Call. It has a demo but a certain puzzle made me quit it...I'll give it another chance later because it looked promising...

shadows-call-lite-iphone.jpg

ShadowsCall.jpg

dream

haha, wow, I was so happy about Ascendancy being on the iPhone that I just blindly mashed the buy button without noticing the price.

I guess I'm dipping into my day's Starbucks budget :(

ghibli99

My wife and I have dumped a lot of money (relative to most games' 99-cent price) into iOS games, and yet I keep going back to Doodle Jump. There are so many simplistic games on the system, but that one keeps bringing me back... I've only managed like 31k on it (I seem to hit a wall around 20-25k), but I think about it a lot when I'm not playing it. :)

We also grabbed Swap This last night, and that's a lot of fun, although I wish the visual cues were a bit stronger for when you have one of the blocks highlighted. When you're moving that fast, sometimes it's tough to tell if you've actually activated a block. Tons of fun, though.

This has probably been discussed, but am I going crazy, or did they put all the DDPDOJ bosses in DDPR? I'm sitting there playing the iPhone mode, and it all looks totally different with the screen scrolling in all sorts of directions on stage 1. Hopefully I didn't just dream that. LOL

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ghibli99 said:
My wife and I have dumped a lot of money (relative to most games' 99-cent price) into iOS games, and yet I keep going back to Doodle Jump. There are so many simplistic games on the system, but that one keeps bringing me back... I've only managed like 31k on it (I seem to hit a wall around 20-25k), but I think about it a lot when I'm not playing it. :)

We also grabbed Swap This last night, and that's a lot of fun, although I wish the visual cues were a bit stronger for when you have one of the blocks highlighted. When you're moving that fast, sometimes it's tough to tell if you've actually activated a block. Tons of fun, though.

This has probably been discussed, but am I going crazy, or did they put all the DDPDOJ bosses in DDPR? I'm sitting there playing the iPhone mode, and it all looks totally different with the screen scrolling in all sorts of directions on stage 1. Hopefully I didn't just dream that. LOL
Those are the hidden routes, to get to them you've got to destroy the sylos in stage 1 before the tanks get there. Screen start scrolling in reverse and you fight the original bosses as mid-bosses. To keep fighting on hidden routes you must destroy them before timing out.
Happens in Daifukkatsu 1.5 as well, and Resurrection is "just" a direct port with the added iPhone mode.
To be sure if you've fought on hidden routes just go see your achievements list, there's one for every hidden route taken.

Fowler

Been holding off forever... but now I really want to play Dead Space. What's the consensus on which is better, iPhone or iPad?

Poyunch

Fowler said:
Been holding off forever... but now I really want to play Dead Space. What's the consensus on which is better, iPhone or iPad?
I had some trouble doing some actions on the smaller screen. I'd go with iPad.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
heringer said:
How is OMG Pirates! by the way? Just saw a video and it looks stunning.
:(
Not going to buy another non-universal low res game, sorry I'm sick of playing games blown up to 2X

Anyway, I still think an iOS tailored Super Meat Boy with finger touch controls and swipes would be awesome.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
protonion said:
Adventure fans should check Scarlett and the Spark of Life: Episode 1.

ScarlettScreenshot4.png

ScarlettLaunchScreen2.png

I haven't played it yet but the reviews are very positive.

Yes. Go go NZ game development.

These guys threw a lot of effort into this game, and speaking to them last week they have been working on the next episode pretty much since the release of this one.

yurinka

Hi! Just got a now iPod Touch for personal usage (not one from the work). Where I can get a good list of great demos? I've been out for a lot of months. Maybe 1 year or 2 ago I downloaded the last games.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Gamecocks625 said:
niiiiiiiice. I just re-downloaded Flick Kick Field Goal because of this.

Flick Kick Field Goal update is now live and propagating to an App Store near you.

From the update description (and my embelishments)

* Awesome new stadium
* New mode: "Precision" - rewards you for super-accurate kicking!
* Earn extra lives in Sudden Death with perfect kicks!
* New achievements!
* Improved UI graphics
* Game Center support
* Retina support
* Now universal

mzl.sactoaws.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.nbmhxzud.320x480-75.jpg

The M.O.B

Mario said:
Flick Kick Field Goal update is now live and propagating to an App Store near you.

From the update description (and my embelishments)

* Awesome new stadium
* New mode: "Precision" - rewards you for super-accurate kicking!
* Earn extra lives in Sudden Death with perfect kicks!
* New achievements!
* Improved UI graphics
* Game Center support
* Retina support
* Now universal

My addiction is back!

jts

...hate me...
Well, I'm hooked on FKF, so I really want to get that.

Mario, the free version will not be this one but rather a "lite" version of sorts right? Because if that's right, I'm getting this one ASAP, don't need (or want) to wait :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
The M.O.B said:
My addiction is back!

:)

jts said:
Well, I'm hooked on FKF, so I really want to get that.

Mario, the free version will not be this one but rather a "lite" version of sorts right? Because if that's right, I'm getting this one ASAP, don't need (or want) to wait :p

Correct.

However, I'm not sure whether the comp we'll announce in the next day is on the free version or across both. Trying to get clarification.

Practising in this version will help if it ends up only being based around the free version leaderboards though (assuming they are even seperate).

I got sucked into Sigma again a couple of weeks ago, and haven't been able to put it down. Which made the me think - where's Sigma 2?!?!

I emailed the dev (Do you have any information on when we can expect Sigma 2? ... For what it's worth, I'd love to see retina graphics, a retina icon, Game Center support, and a hard mode...) , and these were the two responses that I got from the Project Manager and Designer:

We're all glad to hear you're enjoying Sigma as much as we do. While I can tell you we have done some preliminary work on Sigma 2, it will still be a while before it's out, although we're hopeful that it will be this year. I can't go into any details about what you might expect to see, but based on your comments, I think you'll be quite happy with some of the new features we're planning.

My name is Dan and I was the designer of Sigma. I've got some good news and some bad news for you. I'm currently working on another project that will keep me and the Sigma team tied up for a while yet. Unfortunately, it's very different from Sigma and may not be your cup of tea.

That said, in my spare time (which I have very little of) I've been doing some concept art for Sigma 2! I really hope that it will be our next project but I can't guarantee anything.

Other than that, you're pretty much right on the money with your requests. Retina for sure, Game Center for sure (hopefully with full multiplayer) and some more varied gameplay.

They sound like great guys, but more importantly, great devs! And anyone who even remotely likes match-3 games needs to get this. There isn't anything even remotely similar (that I know of) in the genre.

Here are some pics; I agree, there aren't enough in this thread.

mzl.hqkxerhz.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.szexjiri.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.ipqizujq.320x480-75.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Mario said:
Correct.

However, I'm not sure whether the comp we'll announce in the next day is on the free version or across both. Trying to get clarification.

Practising in this version will help if it ends up only being based around the free version leaderboards though (assuming they are even seperate).
Nice, thanks. Even if the competition is on the free version only, I would get this one anyway so might as well do it now, which I did :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
jts said:
Nice, thanks. Even if the competition is on the free version only, I would get this one anyway so might as well do it now, which I did :p

Your 99c is appreciated.

Will post in here when the competition goes live with details. Will be plenty of time to enter over the Superbowl weekend.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
Tobor said:
Have you been able to get past the first boss? Keeps crashing on me. :(

I gave in and bought the game too, and was loving it until the crashes got me. It has crashed three times on the first boss.... I am getting better at fighting it, but I am enjoying the game less with every frustrating crash.

from Mika Mobile re: Battleheart

Great news to report on the crash front. We finally have a solid repro case, and will be submitting a fix shortly. The issue has to do with the healer or bard somehow targeting an enemy instead of an ally. This SHOULD have been impossible, but a lagged touch command can in some circumstances lead to this mistargeting, and a speedy crash shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, direct and precise touching of the screen pretty much eliminates the issue, while very brief fluttery touches on the cleric AFTER targeting an enemy with someone else will quickly lead to a misfire. It's no surprise that the first boss often induces this issue - rapid panicked commands are usually what lead to our touch code getting confused.

Anno

It's weird that so many people are crashing in that one place and some of us just skate by without a hitch.

Edit: Damn you, Gamecocks. Good to hear that it might be fixed though.

Lunchbox

Banned
battlehearts keeps crashing when you use 2/3 powers at the same time from your different characters in the party. especially if you use the healer powers + wizards at the same time while other powers are active

unoptimized piece of shit

(the game is good when it actually works)

Anybody have any suggestions for some Brain Training-esque apps? I've looked around, and there's a ton, but I'm not sure which ones are good or not. Lumosity looked great, but I don't want to pay a subscription.

SenseiJinx said:
Anybody have any suggestions for some Brain Training-esque apps? I've looked around, and there's a ton, but I'm not sure which ones are good or not. Lumosity looked great, but I don't want to pay a subscription.

Glow Artisan went free a week or so ago. It's not brain-agey per say; more like a devious color matching game. And it's award-winning.

Keio

For a Finer World
dream said:
haha, wow, I was so happy about Ascendancy being on the iPhone that I just blindly mashed the buy button without noticing the price.

I guess I'm dipping into my day's Starbucks budget :(
Impressions? I know of Ascendancy but never played it. I loved Master of Orion though. Thanks in advance!

dream

Keio said:
Impressions? I know of Ascendancy but never played it. I loved Master of Orion though. Thanks in advance!
It's definitely Ascendancy but I'm playing it on an iPhone and the UI is jarringly cluttered. It probably plays a lot better on the iPad.

It's pretty much a must-have if you're into MOO though. It's every bit as addictive.

Talon

The dead franchise thread reminded me of this series:
Desert_Strike_-_Return_to_the_Gulf_Coverart.png

Are there any clones of these on iOS? Games seem perfectly suited to a touch screen - all you do is move/refuel and shoot two types of weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom