• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPS37

There's an update out for Surveilant that makes the controls more responsive (less tapping a platform a million times with no response...yay!)

I love Drop7 but it's in dire need of an update. It constantly crashes on me when I finish a game, it's not a huge issue but it's just annoying.

GameCentre intergration would be lovely too but I'd settle for no crashing.

japtor

Downhome said:
What are some of the best "gimmicky" games that you guys can recommend? You know, games that show off the different little things that the iPhone 4 is capable of. It would just be cool to have a few things like that to show people every now and then. Thanks!
Rage HD with the full gyro control setup (where you have to turn completely) is pretty show off/gimmick worthy. The Star Wars Falcon Gunner one is cool too, although the gyro controls only apply if you turn the AR (camera) mode on, otherwise you're left with kinda crappy (in comparison) tilt controls.

Dante

Battleheart is def worth the price, fun game, I still think it gets a little cluttered on the iPhone screen, sometimes my characters end up on top of one another and I frantically start tapping and CRASH....Hope the update goes live soon.

Khanage

Agent White said:
got about $1 left in my account and it's for League of Evil when it comes out tomorrow(tonight)

mzl.memxtfbc.320x480-75.jpg

probably the closest we'll get to a Super Meat Boy on iOS

Stop what you are doing and go buy this game! I don’t know what kind of hoodoo it is doing but it’s a platformer on ios that controls really well.

lite
Full - 59p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
:(

Battleheart is crashing non-stop for me now.
While grinding a bit in the first few maps of the second area.

Ah well, started up Emross War in the mean time.
Seems pretty cool.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not a game, but I couldn't recommend enough, for any Cheap Arse Gaffer out there, the Find-Games app (Universal).
I honestly couldn't do without this for games and the DVDferret app for blu rays and dvd (same author). But what I love about the Find-Games app is that it also works for accessories and damn it includes pretty much every retailer out there, and the search engine is pretty damn solid. And oh, it's FREE. :)

sh4mike said:
I bought an iPod touch after seeing all the $1 classic action RPGs. I'm ready to give up after playing a handful (Hybrid 1/2, Illusia, Zenonia, 100 Rogues, Braveheart, Dungeon Hunter) due to the controls. These touch screen directional pads and buttons are brutal.

I've seen some sticky buttons that you can suction on top to represent a D-pad. Perhaps someone has experience with these. Otherwise I'll take a look at turn-based RPGs or simpler games like Peggle.

Frustrating.

Get The Quest. It's a great, long, turn-based, retro WRPG. You can get the lite version for free, and then if you like it you can buy the full version, transfer your save file and just keep on playing. Here's a video review of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0SY1rYU_8

It's not for everyone though. The weirdest side-quest I've completed so far involves an old, powerful, rich, pureblood family (sounds like Harry Potter up until this point, eh?) that has almost been wiped out. And a woman from the family needs the hero's help to stop the family line from ending with her. More specifically, she needs a family member to be brought back from the dead to so that he can impregnate her. But for the most part the story is very traditional for rpgs, and the great things about the game are the puzzles and the exploration (the world is huge). It also doesn't take itself too seriously and has good writing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
But I seem to be downloading Sacred Odyssey straight to my iPhone for free.
Odd. Is only the demo up? Didn't see it mention a lite/free version.

Ahh. Free install with an in-app purchase for the full quest.
Strange.

And now DMC4r is showing for $1.99. Grabbing that too.

Bento

Bungalow Bob said:
Get The Quest.
Thank you for mentioning it and including a video reviewing, bought it a second ago! Love these kind of games so I'm very excited for another one to play and I must say that I'm surprised by how good the art is especially in comparison to games like Orc & Elves and Undercroft, maybe not on the level of SMT: Strange Journey, Dark Spire or Lands of Lore (loved the look of that game) but I'm glad to see a western developer putting in some effort on that front :eek:)

Goddamn though, I've bought many Iphone games recently and most of them RPGs. Still busy playing the first Final Fantasy, I promised myself I wouldn't do something like this and yet, here I am racking up a backlog again after being clean for 7 years, damn you Apple and this bloody thread! :(

Psy-Phi

hyp said:
need some DMC impressions, stat!
Played to stage 3 on less than 8 minutes, so um... It's easy? But that's good for an iPhone game, since controls are such a heated issue on iOS. It's a very simplified version of DMC4, but does feel quite competent, for what it is: a shorter, slower moving, portable version inspired by DMC4. A lot was removed, enemies don't seem to attack as relentlessly as they might in the console/PC version (not that the early levels are a challenge on the big boy platforms, they're certainly more demanding of your attention).

For $2 I feel like I already got my money's worth. But I'm easily satisfied for the chump change of these Apps. The game feels like the animations ore slow, giving you time to react (but even your character's animations are slow -- not the frame rate, just the speed of the animation in movement). Plays smooth, looks merely decent and acceptable. Playing on my 3GS.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Details of our Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff for iPhone/iPad (free download) competition

The Competition

Play Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff and unlock the ‘In to Win’ OpenFeint achievement, and go into the draw to win an autographed jersey from the championship quarterback of either the Steelers or Packers Quarterback!

Tips For Success!

To achieve a high rate of success in Precision Mode always aim your kicks through the middle of the uprights. The more precise you are the higher your score will be.

In order to score blazingly in Sudden Death, kick the ball through the middle of the uprights three times in a row and set the ball on fire. Then each time you kick the ball through the uprights the point you receive will multiply by up to ten points. Don’t miss or you’ll have to start your multiplier again.

Flick Kick it to Win It! Contest (the “Contest”) is open to individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of OpenFeint, PikPok, and their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsors’ decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
Any questions – support@pikpok.com

Bento said:
Thank you for mentioning it and including a video reviewing, bought it a second ago! Love these kind of games so I'm very excited for another one to play and I must say that I'm surprised by how good the art is especially in comparison to games like Orc & Elves and Undercroft, maybe not on the level of SMT: Strange Journey, Dark Spire or Lands of Lore (loved the look of that game) but I'm glad to see a western developer putting in some effort on that front :eek:)

Goddamn though, I've bought many Iphone games recently and most of them RPGs. Still busy playing the first Final Fantasy, I promised myself I wouldn't do something like this and yet, here I am racking up a backlog again after being clean for 7 years, damn you Apple and this bloody thread! :(

The Quest is so much better than Final Fantasy in every way that after you start playing it, you'll probably never go back. And that's not hyperbole, there are so many expansions (with more coming) that it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 hours to finish them all; and that's without doing the side quests.

Speedball 2: Evolution will be released in february.

PR said:
The game offers two alternative control systems: a classic, soft joypad, which replicates the controls of the early computer versions, and a new, innovative tilt-to-move option, in which team-mates can be manipulated simply by moving the device, meaning the whole screen can be seen at all times on the iPhone.

“This is the best version of Speedball 2 since the original and the best remake of any classic title available on the App Store” says Jon Hare, the games creative director and CEO of publisher, Tower Studios. “Speedball 2: Evolution is the most comprehensive game in the series, and a real programming masterpiece thanks to the amazing efforts of Vivid Games. To existing fans this is a classic remake, to the new generation this is a fantastic modern game in it’s own right. It marks the first arrival of a Bitmap Brothers classic to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad – expect to see many more classic titles re-mastered and updated by us in the future.”

Speedball 2: Evolution features:
- 336 Individual players
- 22 achievements
- 20 Power-ups and pick-ups
- 16 Classic Speedball teams
- 12 New Intergalactic teams
- 10 Season career mode
- 10 Single player game modes
- 6 Arenas on four different planets
- Player transfer market and upgrades
- Extensive tutorial for rookies
- Multiplayer mode
- Game Center support
- That classic retro feel

d7f155d63af97f04d2af0770b15a64b2.jpg

The M.O.B

Played the free version of Sacred Odyssey. It's like Zelda set in a lord of the rings type world. The combat is very basic. The free part let you fight a couple enemies, ride your horse, do a simple minigame/sidequest and then it gives you the setup of the story. Not sure if I'll give em $7 for 4 dungeons though.

I'll stick with my 2d RPGs for now.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
WordAssassin said:
I just 3-Stared and Briefcased all 8 levels of League of Evil Lite, holy SHIT this game is amazing. Full Version, here I come.
Ohhhhhh, I love this, never heard of it before so thanks for mentioning it!
I want to contact the developer but there's no in-game option to do that, this has the potential to be awesome(er) by simply making left and right a lot more touch responsive (strange thing is the kick and jump are perfect) and allowing at least a couple of layout for different control placement (left and right closer to each other and maybe a vertical layout). I could support buying it just to see if that helps in getting an update (GC support would be also nice).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WordAssassin said:
I just 3-Stared and Briefcased all 8 levels of League of Evil Lite, holy SHIT this game is amazing. Full Version, here I come.

OK, downloaded. You better be right about this man otherwise I want my 59p back! (mssing lolface)

Bungalow Bob said:
Get The Quest. It's a great, long, turn-based, retro WRPG. You can get the lite version for free, and then if you like it you can buy the full version, transfer your save file and just keep on playing. Here's a video review of the game:

It's not for everyone though. The weirdest side-quest I've completed so far involves an old, powerful, rich, pureblood family (sounds like Harry Potter up until this point, eh?) that has almost been wiped out. And a woman from the family needs the hero's help to stop the family line from ending with her. More specifically, she needs a family member to be brought back from the dead to so that he can impregnate her. But for the most part the story is very traditional for rpgs, and the great things about the game are the puzzles and the exploration (the world is huge). It also doesn't take itself too seriously and has good writing.

It's not on the Portuguese store...FFS!

Jedeye Sniv said:
OK, downloaded. You better be right about this man otherwise I want my 59p back! (mssing lolface)
Hey man there's a Lite version, you don't have to take my word for it!! :p

That said, I really do think it's AMAZING and haven't had any real trouble with the controls that I wouldn't run into on a keyboard or controller. (Wall-jumping is always a pain in the ass for me for whatever reason) Especially since to 3-start the levels you have to beat them under a specific time, and I 3-stared all 8 of the demo levels, AND got all the briefcases (some of which required multiple tries, but that had nothing to do with controls.)

Really, everyone who likes platformers should download the Lite version of League of Evil, the controls are TIGHT, the graphics and gameplay are awesome, the chiptunes music is great, and it's 50 levels for $1! I would not be surprised at all to see downloadable levels packs or character upgrades in the future, too. This is the perfect kind of game for that.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WordAssassin said:
Hey man there's a Lite version, you don't have to take my word for it!! :p

That said, I really do think it's AMAZING and haven't had any real trouble with the controls that I wouldn't run into on a keyboard or controller. (Wall-jumping is always a pain in the ass for me for whatever reason) Especially since to 3-start the levels you have to beat them under a specific time, and I 3-stared all 8 of the demo levels, AND got all the briefcases (some of which required multiple tries, but that had nothing to do with controls.)

Really, everyone who likes platformers should download the Lite version of League of Evil, the controls are TIGHT, the graphics and gameplay are awesome, the chiptunes music is great, and it's 50 levels for $1! I would not be surprised at all to see downloadable levels packs or character upgrades in the future, too. This is the perfect kind of game for that.

haha! Nah, I'll always chuck a dev a few pennies if I hear the game is good. I spend more than that on a tea break and these people spent their time and effort making something. Just gotta wait till lunchtime to try it out now, looking forward to it! IMO the best platformer I've played so far on iOS is Hook Worlds, if it's in the same league as that I'll be chuffed.

Looks like gameloft are starting to make their games for the upper half of the iOS family now, good to see them leaving the older models behind tbh even though I own one.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bungalow Bob said:

Well, that video finally sold me on the game!

INPAQ

Neo Member
Psy-Phi said:
Played to stage 3 on less than 8 minutes, so um... It's easy? But that's good for an iPhone game, since controls are such a heated issue on iOS. It's a very simplified version of DMC4, but does feel quite competent, for what it is: a shorter, slower moving, portable version inspired by DMC4. A lot was removed, enemies don't seem to attack as relentlessly as they might in the console/PC version (not that the early levels are a challenge on the big boy platforms, they're certainly more demanding of your attention).

For $2 I feel like I already got my money's worth. But I'm easily satisfied for the chump change of these Apps. The game feels like the animations ore slow, giving you time to react (but even your character's animations are slow -- not the frame rate, just the speed of the animation in movement). Plays smooth, looks merely decent and acceptable. Playing on my 3GS.
Hmm, sorta interested..

Gazunta

STOP FUCKING UP CLASSIC AMIGA GAMES YOU STUPID BASTARDS

Why has there not been one good version of Speedball 2 since the original? :(

Baconbitz said:
League of evil is nice but I still don't think platformers work great on iDevices. Platformers work best with a physical D-pad.

Pizza Boy is about as good as it gets on iOS, in my opinion. That's the only one that I've really felt like the controls didn't get in the way of what I wanted to do.

Gamecocks625 said:
Pizza Boy is about as good as it gets on iOS, in my opinion. That's the only one that I've really felt like the controls didn't get in the way of what I wanted to do.
League of Evil controls better than Pizza Boy in my opinion.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ah god fucking dammit, League of Evil doesn't allow iPod playback. Give me my 59p back you bastards! (only half kidding...) Hey, iOS devs, when will you wise up and let us play music while playing your games? Yeah, your chiptunes are fine but I don't care, I want to listen to a podcast.

This goes for Pixfall as well. Great game (the update is fantastic) but it repeats the same minute of music forever. Booooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom