• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
some people earlier in this or the prior thread complained about not being able to play it properly on the phone because of the screen real estate. I'm not saying its a problem - just repeating what I've read

with aquaria, when you hold your finger over navia; song symbols show up and theres about 10 around your avatar and they are already very tiny on the ipad. anyhow, yeah...

http://minus.com/mGIocoBG3

dropped in a pic of Aquaria - you can see from the image it really needs the screen real estate of the ipad to play. Any smaller and, well, it don't work. Its like sword and sorcery - which from what Ive read; translated very poorly to the phone.

jbeAzZ0M9hNTj1.jpg

idk. According to the devs, S&S's lead skew was on iphone, but business stuff lead to the ipad version launching first.

It works fine on iphone, and they recently updated the visuals for iphone version.

ToxicAdam

Tried out Virtual Villagers:Origins.

Pretty interesting. Sort of an Animal Crossing game, but instead you have a group of people stranded on a beach and you have to coax them into developing a thriving village.

It's free.

bubnbob

Banned
Chaos Rings Omega is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than the original so far. Although making a prequel to the original just sets it up for a ton of inconsistencies and such. As a stand alone game it's really good (tbh with all the new characters and "who the fuck is that guy?" stuff it might as well be treated as such). Also it lets you use the Solo command instead of just plowing through the game with Team attacks. And money and XP are scaled much better, instead of being able to afford any new weapon immediately and being overleveled. I even fought a new boss enemy that wasn't in the original.

Can't wait to get to Chaos Rings 2.

Shearie

I'm lovin Aquaria right now but if they just changed one simple thing, move the attack button to the upper-mid part of the screen instead of the lower-mid where it's at now, it would be soooooooo much more comfortable to attack and swim at the same time. As it is now, it's mandatory that I play this with the iPad on a table when I wish I could just kick back on the couch.

colinp

Banned
Infinity Blade II ClashMob people add me to gamecenter:

colinpjp

I really like the clash mobs but there aren't enough going on at one time... Also, it was really sad losing the first couple because there weren't enough people. Hah!

Edit: And I didn't get one of my rewards (the slick sword Orci) because of some glitch I guess. Ugh..

This is kinda OT, but I played Fruit Ninja at an arcade this weekend. I thought it wasn't as responsive, and didn't look at sharp on a 42in screen.

Still played about 4 times, lol.

Need to go find a IB2 machine now.

galvatron

I can't figure out how to get a few achievements in DoDonPachi Resurrection, can anyone help me out? They are:

Hidden 2008 Tokyo (Discover the hidden route in Stage 1)
Fire a Hyper Cannon at Level 2 and 3

Pretty sure that first one is blowing up all of the wide,flat, cylindrical silos in the stage before enemies blow them up. If you hit them all, your ship takes a hard left and you fight a different version of the mid boss. I think Shmups has a breakdown of the hidden routes in the game.

Played IB here in DFW, along with Flight Control and Fruit Ninja.

IB controls well, but watching first-timers play it is ridiculous. Fruit Ninja has some serious lag issues and doesn't translate as well.

Always thought Flight Control was kinda meh, but there was a group having a blast around that machine for a while.

Yea, it's like they didn't optimize Fruit Ninja for it's new environment.

Thanks for that info numble. Need to find a machine these next couple months. Wanna try it.

Ledsen

So what games would you guys recommend from the last year or so? Absolutely no virtual d-pad or other console-style controls, and no quick-play arcadey games.

Nintendo finally on iOS?!?!?!?!
------------------

Get Cytus. Great rhythm game.

I'll check both of the recommendations out.

And I didn't realize Nintendo published EBA. That makes me a very sad panda. I'd like a game like this but with more soul and r&b tracks and had been hoping for a long time for a EBA sequel. I guess that isn't going to happen?. Anyway, yea Soul/r&b is the kind of music I like, and naturally I could play the 'September' level on EBA non-stop...and with the Earth, Wind and Fire track being the only one, it made me hungry for more. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on a touch device. Or a mobile gaming device of any kind, for that matter.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So what games would you guys recommend from the last year or so? Absolutely no virtual d-pad or other console-style controls, and no quick-play arcadey games.

Beat Sneak Bandit
Hunters 2
Groove Agent (a bit arcadey)
Aquaria
Waking Mars
Sword and Sworcery

erm... tbh you're kinda missing out on so many awesome games with your moratorium on vpads and arcadey experiences. Lots of games are either one or the other to some degree.

There should be a warning on this thread: if you want to get into iOS gaming, you will have to get over yourself and learn to use a vpad. They're not bad when you get the hang of it. I completed GTA on this thing FFS. And arcadey games are this thing's bread and butter. No Cave, no Llamasoft, Super Crossfire HD, Super Crate Box, League of Evil 2....

I'll check both of the recommendations out.

And I didn't realize Nintendo published EBA. That makes me a very sad panda. I'd like a game like this but with more soul and r&b tracks and had been hoping for a long time for a EBA sequel. I guess that isn't going to happen?. Anyway, yea Soul/r&b is the kind of music I like, and naturally I could play the 'September' level on EBA non-stop...and with the Earth, Wind and Fire track being the only one, it made me hungry for more. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had on a touch device. Or a mobile gaming device of any kind, for that matter.

Once again having a sad jukebeat/jubeat plus gets no mention in a discussion of iOS music gaming T_T

jukebeat actually has a startlingly diverse selection of licensed music - where else do you have music from TLC, Culture Club, Gloria Estefan, and Lady Gaga all collected together?

Admittedly though, I can only recommend the game for iPad. The game doesn't scale down to iPhone sized devices well at all. Even the iPad is smaller than the original arcade machine's physical button interface...

Once again having a sad jukebeat/jubeat plus gets no mention in a discussion of iOS music gaming T_T

jukebeat actually has a startlingly diverse selection of licensed music - where else do you have music from TLC, Culture Club, Gloria Estefan, and Lady Gaga all collected together?

Admittedly though, I can only recommend the game for iPad. The game doesn't scale down to iPhone sized devices well at all.

Id like to buy this but I wish it wasn't japanese app store limited. If it were available elsewhere; I probably would have bought it by now. Can you post a link as to how to get it? I'll see about buying it then..

Id like to buy this but I wish it wasn't japanese app store limited. If it were available elsewhere; I probably would have bought it by now. Can you post a link as to how to get it? I'll see about buying it then..

As stated above, the game has both an International release (jukebeat) and a Japanese-only release (jubeat plus). The two games have distinct music stores.

I admit to sinking ridiculous amounts of money into both versions.

I've had the game for awhile now and keep meaning to put more time into as well as buying more songs. But I can't get enough of that Contra remix it comes with. Love that song.

Admittedly though, I can only recommend the game for iPad. The game doesn't scale down to iPhone sized devices well at all. Even the iPad is smaller than the original arcade machine's physical button interface...

will probably give this one a go first. I see music packs that interest me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I have spent a LOT of money on Jubeat. My JP iTunes account loves me. :) SO many great songs! It's worth the hassle to set one up, for sure.

pulga

Banned
Guys, how do I go about transferring my Ascension expansion pack I bought for my old iPad to my new one? Can only play vanilla version, it's prompting me to buy the pack.

Edit: Nevermind, found the solution.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/european-war-3/id504300412?mt=8

This game was just realeased and looks really interesting?

In European War 3 you will be a commander leading your soldiers to fight for resources, promote economic and industrial growth, develop new technology and seize opposing territory. Whenever deploying army, navy or air force, you need to take much thought due to their strength and weakness. Work on your defenses when you are in a weak position; build airport if you need air support. Fighting the battle could earn your forces experience and when they come to Ace Forces, their combat effectiveness would be impressive! It’s also important to upgrade your commander level as you would take the lead. European War 3 also gives you a choice among different modes like Empire, Campaign, Conquest and Multiplayer.

Empire Mode:
conquest among 8 empires with 40 campaigns.[British Empire, German Empire, the United States, Japanese Empire, Qing Dynasty, French Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empire]

Campaign Mode:
30 actual historical campaigns (choose any force you like)

Conquest Mode:
choose any country to compete in Asia, Europe and America for hegemony.

Multiplayer Mode:
player versus player, available in 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 format.

Features:
- 28 command cards make the battle full of change.
- 11 forces such as the army, navy and air force all have unique features.
- 32 nations are involved across Europe, Asia and America, 1271 administrative regions in total.
- Technology reaches up to five levels.
- Mini-map display
- The map can be zoomed in or zoomed out .
- 15 levels of rank promotion (from Private to Field Marshal)
- Auto-save

Looks like it's an actual good strategy game with some dice-strategy elements and a map campaign?!? Does anyone know anything about the series, is it good?? It certainly looks extremely interesting, at least for someone like me who's been looking for a good Europa Universalis/Hearts of Iron on iOS, this seems like it could be fairly close (way less complex of course, but the same theme, idea and generally.)

grabbed OSU. bought $5 worth of tracks and grabbed 2 free packs as well :) basically paid for the whole app.

Hyppppee.

lol

What's New in Version 1.21

★LIMITED TIME SALE!★
33% off the new SHIKI pack!
66% off all other packs!!

nice.

looking at jukebeat now. which is the best pack to start with? Sort of expensive. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
grabbed OSU. bought $5 worth of tracks and grabbed 2 free packs as well :) basically paid for the whole app.

Hyppppee.

lol

What's New in Version 1.21

★LIMITED TIME SALE!★
33% off the new SHIKI pack!
66% off all other packs!!

nice.

looking at jukebeat now. which is the best pack to start with? Sort of expensive. :p

I'll have to look, but the pack with Evans is a great buy. Also, if Flowers is there, another great buy. I'll post screenies of all my Jubeat songs at some point. I <3 that game, haha.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Holy shit, thanks for the info above. Avooooooiiid! :p

Holy shit, thanks for the info above. Avooooooiiid! :p

The Konami music gets the most play from me, but the Lady Gaga tracks are actually really well charted. All packs are optional, of course =p

I've ended up purchasing every pack they've released, except Strike Anywhere.

I'll have to look, but the pack with Evans is a great buy. Also, if Flowers is there, another great buy. I'll post screenies of all my Jubeat songs at some point. I <3 that game, haha.

If you mean Flower, yeah, that one is in one of the early songpacks.

I'm loving the latest songpack, personally. And Stellar Wind is still one of my favorite tracks in the game.

Ranger X

I have a question for Ipad 3 owners...

Have you tried the x2 gaming and can you tell if it's better than on Ipad 1 and 2?
Because now the resolution of the screen is better right? This theorically means the upscale blurryness and artifacts should be less apparent than on previous Ipad.
Anyhow, I want to know if its a nice improvement. I tried a Kairosoft game in x2 (to simulate like the worse case possible) on and Ipad1 and it was abysmal as in "my eyes are burning with acid".

Have you tried the x2 gaming and can you tell if it's better than on Ipad 1 and 2?
Because now the resolution of the screen is better right? This theorically means the upscale blurryness and artifacts should be less apparent than on previous Ipad.
Anyhow, I want to know if its a nice improvement. I tried a Kairosoft game in x2 (to simulate like the worse case possible) on and Ipad1 and it was abysmal as in "my eyes are burning with acid".

Definitely a lot better. For whatever reason, 2x mode on iPad 2 only sometimes used retina resolution graphics and never used retina resolution text. So far everything I've thrown at it is actual iPhone retina resolution scaled 2x - obviously not as clear as anything running iPad retina, but way better than what I had to deal with on my iPad 2.

Ledsen

Beat Sneak Bandit
Hunters 2
Groove Agent (a bit arcadey)
Aquaria
Waking Mars
Sword and Sworcery

erm... tbh you're kinda missing out on so many awesome games with your moratorium on vpads and arcadey experiences. Lots of games are either one or the other to some degree.

There should be a warning on this thread: if you want to get into iOS gaming, you will have to get over yourself and learn to use a vpad. They're not bad when you get the hang of it. I completed GTA on this thing FFS. And arcadey games are this thing's bread and butter. No Cave, no Llamasoft, Super Crossfire HD, Super Crate Box, League of Evil 2....

Thanks for the recs! I may be missing out, but that's because I want to. I've played tons of arcadey games and got tired of short, shallow (not necessarily bad mind you, and Cave is an exception) experiences, and after many many games with virtual d-pad i finally realized that it sucks and I never want to use one again. I got into iOS gaming big time, realized I don't like it, and am now trying to find the few types of games I do like on iOS.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Bought and played through Crow last night, wow what a fucking great experience. A couple of the bosses, including the final boss were quite challenging. Luckily it only took me 2 tries on normal difficulty for the final boss (
I had cursed EVERY fucking boss up to that point...lol

Kinda wishing there was a damn new game+ mode where I could restart the game with all my skill points. What the hell.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks for the recs! I may be missing out, but that's because I want to. I've played tons of arcadey games and got tired of short, shallow (not necessarily bad mind you, and Cave is an exception) experiences, and after many many games with virtual d-pad i finally realized that it sucks and I never want to use one again. I got into iOS gaming big time, realized I don't like it, and am now trying to find the few types of games I do like on iOS.

Actually, you may like Incoboto. It's not using vpads but the controls are kinda odd. But once you get into it it's a really neat puzzle platformer in the vein of Portal crossed with Mario Galaxy.

And you might not be into arcade experiences, but if you skip Gridrunner you are seriously missing out. Only a buck and it's (for me) on par with the Cave games in terms of being an awesome, epilepsy inducing shooter.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think I kinda ruined Crow for myself by sparing the bosses, since it turns out that makes the game into Hard mode. But now I'm at the final boss and hard mode is kicking my head in and making me not want to play it any more. i get to the third form of the boss but I don't know wtf is happening and you die in one shot and then have to do it all again which after about 5 goes is a bit much. Meh. Way overhyped IMO.

Very almost finished Aquaria now, just about to face the final boss and I have a feeling it's going to be very hard. But I think this game has earned it, whereas Crow never did. After 17 hours of great gaming, I'm ready to put Aquaria to bed now. It's been a really great experience and has been much deeper and richer than I had anticipated. I love how the game scales up constantly. When you first start you're continually overwhelmed by the size of the environment, and when you get to the end and look back you realise just how small those starting areas were, and how naive you were when you started... It's cool to see a journey like that, and have that sense of progression be palpable and real.

Ranger X

Quoted for new page...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom