• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sladeums

I think I kinda ruined Crow for myself by sparing the bosses, since it turns out that makes the game into Hard mode. But now I'm at the final boss and hard mode is kicking my head in and making me not want to play it any more. i get to the third form of the boss but I don't know wtf is happening and you die in one shot and then have to do it all again which after about 5 goes is a bit much. Meh. Way overhyped IMO.

Yeah, that last boss in Crow hard mode is a motherfucker.
Probably took me a good dozen tries.

Hard mode period is a big departure from the rest of the game in normal .. big spike in difficulty in the last couple levels.

and don't know if you've tried, but :
in 3rd form when the boss is totally exposed and the screen goes all black/red? you have to slash the shit out of the boss ... repeatedly. not just one swipe like every other attack you've made in the game. if that makes any sense

Quoted for new page...

And self-quoting in case you didn't see my reply two minutes after you first asked...

Definitely a lot better. For whatever reason, 2x mode on iPad 2 only sometimes used retina resolution graphics and never used retina resolution text. So far everything I've thrown at it is actual iPhone retina resolution scaled 2x - obviously not as clear as anything running iPad retina, but way better than what I had to deal with on my iPad 2.

I should also add that results rely on the particular app you're running to support retina in the first place, otherwise things might get wonky (but no less wonky than they'd be on an iPhone 4/4S).

moai

so i bought risk for the iphone and it doesn`t have online play, only local. any recomendations for similar games but with online play option?
thanks.

colinp

Banned
Posting for the new page:

Infinity Blade II ClashMob people add me to gamecenter:

colinpjp

They really need to balance the requirements because it kind of sucks waiting just to fail a mob.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The ClashMob thing is kinda boring to be honest. Only doing it cause I really need items for my new game+ that I just started. NG+ is such a scam, you have to redo the first area like 20 times just to get buy some weapons and get stronger

Also, game is still a little buggy

colinp

Banned
The ClashMob thing is kinda boring to be honest. Only doing it cause I really need items for my new game+ that I just started. NG+ is such a scam, you have to redo the first area like 20 times just to get buy some weapons and get stronger

Also, game is still a little buggy

Yeah, they're boring because there are too few running at one time and even when there are a couple at least two are going to fail because the reqs are too high. I'm not sure how long I will continue doing it...

The one area I really want to see again is the cherry blossom pavilion place from the very beginning of the game. Do you ever return there?

Mrbob

Been spending most of my time in Anomaly Warzone Earth HD. I completed it on Steam, but I loved the game so much I'm playing it again on ipad. Time to finish the final mission when I'm home tonight!

Quoted for new page...

I don't have an Ipad 1 or 2, but Kairosoft games look like craaaaaaaapppppppp in 2X mode on Ipad 3.

Retina iphone games look good in 2x mode. However non retina games look a bit shite.

I don't know if I can ever play any iphone games on my ipad. Bugs me that 2X mode doesn't fill the whole screen.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't have an Ipad 1 or 2, but Kairosoft games look like craaaaaaaapppppppp in 2X mode on Ipad 3.

Retina iphone games look good in 2x mode. However non retina games look a bit shite.

I don't know if I can ever play any iphone games on my ipad. Bugs me that 2X mode doesn't fill the whole screen.

True that the Kairosoft games look abysmal on the new iPad, except Astro Story which looks fine since it supports the new font renderer so text is crisp and the pixel art scales fine.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Good to hear.

Dug up an example screen (iPhone retina mind you but the result is largely the same) that was posted earlier in the thread:

huh. Epic Astro Story actually uses the native os font rendering thingy so text looks sharp.

ibiL2RLsLcJ6On.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yes I saw it thank you :)
I want more impressions. The x2 scale quality is what will decide if I buy an Ipad3 or not you see.

In my experience, if it's a retina display iPhone game then you mostly can't tell it's upscaled apart from the extra black border surrounding the game area. YMMV of course and non-retina games tend to look crappy unless their art style is sublime. Tiny Wings looks fine for example.

finalhour

Yes I saw it thank you :)
I want more impressions. The x2 scale quality is what will decide if I buy an Ipad3 or not you see.

My only experience is with King of Dragon Pass, but it looks pretty decent. The text is very crisp, and as most of the game is text based, it works.

Jukebeat's packs at all $5 and there's so many of them. holy $$$$. Let me know whats great please

$4, actually.

There was a running list of recommended songs the last page or so. I think the songs thrown out are:

Evans
Flower
Stellar Wind

And I'm going to go ahead and add Far East Nightbird to the list.

But, you can listen to samples of each song from the store before you buy, so why not just buy what you like?

(You have no idea how good you guys have it jumping into jukebeat now, the store was practically empty not even half a year ago.)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jukebeat's packs at all $5 and there's so many of them. holy $$$$. Let me know whats great please

I think it's like $1/play in the arcade, so it's a REALLY amazing deal when you think about it. :) I'll get a list of songs that I suggest as well for those using the Jukebeat app vs Jubeat.

My thoughts on the various Konami packs for Jukebeat...

1 - Flower is worth it alone
2 - Stellar Wind will REALLY challenge you, and it's a good song
3 - Polaris is the only song I'm not a fan of...The rest are great
4 - Air Raid is OK, but that pack is meh.
5 - It's a fun pack, and not terrible. Better than 4, that's for sure.
6 - Evans is SO good.
7 - Quilt is fun, Area 51 is challenging, and Street Dance is interesting.
8 - coming true is awesome. Russian Snowy Dance is a bit gimmicky because of the tune, but it's OK overall.
9 - Shining Wizard and Sumidagawa Karenka are both great. The rest are fun, but the first two are solid.
10 - Shining Star is SO poppy, it's wonderful. Anything by Ryu☆ rocks.
11 - Sweet Rain <3 The rest...eh...
12 - Oh lord, Albida and Shine On Me are fucking superb (up there with Evans). This is a must get as well.
13 - Far east nightbird is fun, All My Heart is good, but neither are MUST haves in my opinion. If you like FEN's sound, it's worth it.

If you're on a budget, the bolded ones are my absolute musts simply because of the tracks I highlighted. Take a listen to all of them, but passing on those would be silly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I feel like I'm missing something with Sword and Sworcery because it is boring as hell. It's like the third time I've given this game a shot.

Jimrpg

Been spending most of my time in Anomaly Warzone Earth HD. I completed it on Steam, but I loved the game so much I'm playing it again on ipad. Time to finish the final mission when I'm home tonight!

so can someone clarify this as I haven't used the new iPad yet

regular iPhone resolution 480x320 (ie your typical kairosoft game) - so this looks crappy on the new iPad because its effectively 4x the resolution on new iPad

but retina iPhone 960x640 looks fine on the new iPad?

two reasons why i haven't got the new iPad yet - alot of apps haven't updated their apps to the new resolution. and i think they are holding back on the processor (dual core A5 but quad core graphics) and also the camera is 5MP but on the iPhone 4s its 8MP - would it really have cost them that much more to make it 8MP?

also why dont they include a higher res front facing camera? i guess they didnt do it before because facetime would have been choppy, but its on 4G now so there's no reason to put it in. the quality of the video on facetime calls is not up to scratch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does it come with free start songs or can you only download the base app for free and then HAVE to buy songpacks?

Jubeat and Jukebeat both come with 3 songs. The rest cost moneys. Jukebeat (the US version) are $3.99 for 4 songs, Jubeat (JP version) is ¥450 for 4 songs.

Oh my god

Why in the world did I not know about Osu! before

Thank you guys so much.

I'm only depressed that it seems to have bombed- I'm terrible at EBA and it keeps telling me that I'm in the top 1000 on the leaderboard. Not many people seem to have d/led it, much less bought DLC.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In what is probably the strangest thing I'll post about Cytus - they just posted a survey (Chinese only) for their Taiwanese userbase, gathering info for a planned 2012 Cytus LIVE Concert @Taipei event.

... what

.. damn, I read Caylus and thought this was about the boardgame and was SUPER confused.

jukebeat. just bought gaga. I was like this is familiar I guess. Then I saw the gloria estefan and had to buy it. music is gonna get you? LOL!!! bought.

I'll sit down with this when I have time.

protonion

I searched if there is a sequel for Space Miner (one of my top ios games) and I discovered another game from the same dev. Book of Heroes. A very addictive rpg. It's free but you can buy money for less grinding.

2r2J5.jpg

Oh and SM2 is coming!

just came to post re:jukebeat. Lmao. kept getting Ds on all the tracks I have cracks me up. Its very fun. Gloria estefan tracks are hilarious to play

japtor

Finished the 3 free easy stages in Jukebeat...then tried on the next difficulty setting.

LOLWUT

Game tried to take my manhood.
It's doable once you get used to it. Hard on the other hand is just a ridiculous level to me.

Also watch out for any time you need to press four buttons at a time, a little slip causes the app switcher to come up or a side swipe to the next app. Wish devs could disable it at specific times like that, or limit the area it could be induced or something, kind of like the notification center pull tab in full screen apps.

It's doable once you get used to it. Hard on the other hand is just a ridiculous level to me.

Also watch out for any time you need to press four buttons at a time, a little slip causes the app switcher to come up or a side swipe to the next app. Wish devs could disable it at specific times like that, or limit the area it could be induced or something, kind of like the notification center pull tab in full screen apps.

I have multitasking gestures disabled entirely because of this.

Remember to try out different markers if you're having a hard time with the default one. I personally use the fireworks but Japanese players seem to prefer the flower if YouTube is any indication.

SteveWD40

I searched if there is a sequel for Space Miner (one of my top ios games) and I discovered another game from the same dev. Book of Heroes. A very addictive rpg. It's free but you can buy money for less grinding.

2r2J5.jpg

Oh and SM2 is coming!

Tempting, but it has full screen ads. Would rather pay 69p to have the game without them.

Rimfya

Banned
My Mrs is into these pointless, never ending kingdom building games. Her favorite, Castle Craft is ending ... any recommendations in this genre?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

lol4. Some of the Extreme (red difficulty, not sure what it's called) charts have like, 6-8 at once. It's hilarious.

I've cleared a few 9's on Hard, but 8-9 on Extreme is MUCH harder since they add a LOT more multi-hit patterns (I've passed a few 8's and like, 1 or 2 9's...I'm pretty sure I passed one of the 10's that was just crazy fast streams, too). Evans on Extreme is a good measure of ridiculous.

lol4. Some of the Extreme (red difficulty, not sure what it's called) charts have like, 6-8 at once. It's hilarious.

I've cleared a few 9's on Hard, but 8-9 on Extreme is MUCH harder since they add a LOT more multi-hit patterns (I've passed a few 8's and like, 1 or 2 9's...I'm pretty sure I passed one of the 10's that was just crazy fast streams, too). Evans on Extreme is a good measure of ridiculous.

I'd say Evans is middle of the road as far as 10s go. I've played easier and harder.

yellow head joe in one of the newer copious packs in jubeat plus is hilarious - it's rated 10 on both Advanced and Extreme. Only pack so far that can claim to have five 10s.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd say Evans is middle of the road as far as 10s go. I've played easier and harder.

yellow head joe in one of the newer copious packs in jubeat plus is hilarious - it's rated 10 on both Advanced and Extreme. Only pack so far that can claim to have five 10s.

Oh yeah, I saw that...I need more Japanese moneys to buy some of those newer packs, and that was one I was intrigued by.

re: jukebeat. I got to say; when it gets frenetic and my fingers go everywhere; I keep swiping out of the game; either to the next app or getting that bottom bar up. really annoying. i'm guessing I should disable the multitouch gestures when playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom