• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I really do not like Pizza Boy. The lack of Mario-esque momentum fucks me up. I am officially good at platformers (i have a certificate and everything...) but I am constantly falling down pits in this game, it drives me mad.

In other news, I finally finished Aquaria with 18 hours on the clock (although it was more like 20 in reality). The final boss kicked my ass from here to the ends of the earth, it was horrible (and made me think about making a thread about end bosses being shite) and took me about 4 tries to get it. It was really a fantastic game though, all the more impressive given the two man team.

The controls were hard to get used to but weren't too much of a hindrance once I got used to them, although some bosses were much harder than they needed to be due to them. At the end my fingers were sweaty and sticking to the screen too. But I persevered, and completed one of the best experiences I've had on iOS yet. Excellent game.

Infinity Blade 1 question? I'm trying to grind to get the achievement to get to level 100. I'm currently at level 63-and my leveling progress is really slowing down. If I go to New Game+, do I retain my level-or do I go back to level 1?

Yeah, seems kinda pointless to me and plus it's 200+ MB. I'm intrigued to try it out but maybe at 99 cents

Hi, I like to reply to messages that are a week old.

Steer clear of Zombies Run. I bought it day one at full price and was disappointed.

It completely fails (in my opinion) as an effective fitness tool because it lacks the granularity of data found in something like RunKeeper. There aren't any GPS-specific features so you're somewhat left to your own devices in terms of tracking your progress.

On the "game" side it completely lacks immersion as it disseminates the pre-recorded clips in between songs on your playlist. Maybe that's what some people want but I was pretty surprised. For some reason I was under the impression that it would dynamically generate routes for you based on your GPS location (ie. "they're coming for you, turn left!"). A few friends that also bought it were similarly let down.

Infinity Blade 1 question? I'm trying to grind to get the achievement to get to level 100. I'm currently at level 63-and my leveling progress is really slowing down. If I go to New Game+, do I retain my level-or do I go back to level 1?

Pretty sure everything resets when you do New Game+ - level, God King level, inventory, everything.

Awesome. Pizza Boy is a pretty good platformer. Hopefully iCade support is in the sequel, and even updated with it in the first game.

Yup, I was a huge fan of the original on the iPod touch. It's not that great blown up on the new iPad as there is also performance issues. Pizza Boy 2 should hopefully have iPad support. I'm there day 1.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hi, I like to reply to messages that are a week old.

Steer clear of Zombies Run. I bought it day one at full price and was disappointed.

It completely fails (in my opinion) as an effective fitness tool because it lacks the granularity of data found in something like RunKeeper. There aren't any GPS-specific features so you're somewhat left to your own devices in terms of tracking your progress.

On the "game" side it completely lacks immersion as it disseminates the pre-recorded clips in between songs on your playlist. Maybe that's what some people want but I was pretty surprised. For some reason I was under the impression that it would dynamically generate routes for you based on your GPS location (ie. "they're coming for you, turn left!"). A few friends that also bought it were similarly let down.

Ah, that sucks. I usually listen to podcasts while I run so I assumed that this app wouldn't be good for me at all. I'm not sure how you can make running fun anyway by gamifying it, the asking price was just too much (even with that sale).

Anyway, Hypership out of control is free as well: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hypership-out-of-control/id457560346?mt=8

TommyT

I need help GAF. I'm looking for a really fun and simple (esp. graphically) tower defense game. Specifically, a desktop tower defense game like this. I've Googled, looked up some of them last night and found that most are way too busy in their screen shots - as if there is too much on the screen.

I just want something where whatever you have to kill goes from A to B and I have to design the 'maze' with towers that they go through.

edit: Actually SG Tower Defence is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for albeit with shitty reviews so I'll give that one a shot. So now I guess is there anything like that?

Radogol

I need help GAF. I'm looking for a really fun and simple (esp. graphically) tower defense game. Specifically, a desktop tower defense game like this. I've Googled, looked up some of them last night and found that most are way too busy in their screen shots - as if there is too much on the screen.

I just want something where whatever you have to kill goes from A to B and I have to design the 'maze' with towers that they go through.

Fantasy Kingdom Defense is quite simple yet entertaining I think. I'm biased though, as it's from the company I work for (not my project, though). It's universal, free and available at http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/fantasy-kingdom-defense-hd/id493268178?mt=8

TommyT

Fantasy Kingdom Defense is quite simple yet entertaining I think. I'm biased though, as it's from the company I work for (not my project, though). It's universal, free and available at http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/fantasy-kingdom-defense-hd/id493268178?mt=8

Thanks, but if screen 2 is indicative of how it looks while being played that's entirely too 'busy' for what I'm looking for. While I appreciate what it's doing, just not what I'm looking for.

See my edit above.

Thanks, but if screen 2 is indicative of how it looks while being played that's entirely too 'busy' for what I'm looking for. While I appreciate what it's doing, just not what I'm looking for.

See my edit above.

I think lots of us are waiting for a serious tower defense game.

Radogol

See my edit above.

I didn't get you - I thought you were looking for a game that's simple mechanically, not graphically.

Does it have to be retro? Jelly Defense (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jelly-defense/id436134867?mt=8) has a very clean artstyle, but it's pre-rendered 3D.

EDIT: Treasure Defense HD looks like a prettier version of SG from where I'm sitting, although I admit having played neither ;) http://itunes.apple.com/pl/app/treasure-defense-hd/id470836709?mt=8

TommyT

I didn't get you - I thought you were looking for a game that's simple mechanically, not graphically.

Does it have to be retro? Jelly Defense (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jelly-defense/id436134867?mt=8) has a very clean artstyle, but it's pre-rendered 3D.

It's clear what I want isn't out there (well, and done well) lol... Something that is simple mechanically (see: Desktop Tower Defense game I linked), isn't busy on the screen, and where the towers create the path that the 'creep' take. Jelly Defense from what I'm seeing has predefined paths. That's fine, but not what I'm looking for. Doesn't have to have some fancy theme, be 3D, huge graphics/explosions... just a simple desktop tower defense game.

EDIT: Treasure Defense HD looks like a prettier version of SG from where I'm sitting, although I admit having played neither ;) http://itunes.apple.com/pl/app/treasure-defense-hd/id470836709?mt=8

Possibly, I'll look into that.

edit: Seems just like Jelly Defense in that it has predefined paths. I understand that's for the 'story'... so maybe it has some free range map/mode or something.

AEREC

Kingdom Rush is the best tower defense I've come across on iOS. Would love to see a port of Defense Grid...I wonder if it's possible on the iPad 3 without sacrificing anything graphics wise.

Kingdom Rush is the best tower defense I've come across on iOS. Would love to see a port of Defense Grid...I wonder if it's possible on the iPad 3 without sacrificing anything graphics wise.

Yes Kingdom Rush is awesome-there was supposed to be an update to it this week-but I guess it got delayed...

I would think so. The game is 4 years old and wasn't particularly demanding even then. But they'd have to re-write the game. Dunno if they're interested in that, but I'm sure they have to be thinking about it.

Mrbob

I'm finding virtual controls way more tolerable on my Ipad than I ever did on the ipod touch. Still isn't my preferred method to play games, but at least my fingers and on screen icons aren't in the way anymore with the bigger screen real estate. I felt cramped playing any ipod touch game with virtual controls, and not having this same issue on Ipad.

RetroGreg

I'd love Defense Grid on iOS. I can't seem to find anything to scratch the Kingdom Rush itch now that I've got all the stars. Nothing else seems to have the magic to keep me playing.

I'd love Defense Grid on iOS. I can't seem to find anything to scratch the Kingdom Rush itch now that I've got all the stars. Nothing else seems to have the magic to keep me playing.

They are working on a Retina Update for Kingdom Rush and they also said they are hard at work on Kingdom Rush 2. Surprisingly that studio is only 3 guys!

Mrbob

Funny you mention this. I was looking for Defense Grid earlier on IOS today and only found some companion app. I'd play through it again just like I did with Anomaly Warzone Earth.

RetroGreg

Ahh I keep forgetting about Anomaly. I'll have to start on that next. Thanks for reminding me. And I can't wait for that update for Kingdom Rush :)

bubnbob

Banned
I just got done setting up my security questions for Apple. Is this a fucking joke?

"Where were you on January 1, 2000?"

What in the fucking fuck. I'm gonna tattoo my password on my forehead at this rate, I pray I don't forget cause I am NOT recovering it back if they ask me this stuff.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I just got done setting up my security questions for Apple. Is this a fucking joke?

"Where were you on January 1, 2000?"

What in the fucking fuck. I'm gonna tattoo my password on my forehead at this rate, I pray I don't forget cause I am NOT recovering it back if they ask me this stuff.
That one made me lol. I guess they assume the new millennium new years eve was a big deal for everyone. I for one don't remember unless I check the years old pictures.

So I am literally on my way to buy an iPad as we speak. What games can I only get on an iPad/ are significantly better on an iPad that I should break it in with?

Vyer

I'm enjoying Incoboto. I think it's iPad only. People will be quick to make a few Mario Galaxy references, in that the 'planet as a level' structure is in play and there are a few gravity tricks thrown in here or there, but it's more a puzzle game at heart. Puzzles involve some platforming, or getting devices on each planet to function and/or work together. It's also got a nice style to it, though I have yet in my (admittedly early) play to see too much variation.

iHgBmOw8t3MaX.jpg

ibtZ55iRqsJG7e.jpg

You are a little dude on your own little planet when you are visited by a 'sun', who references danger on other planets. You follow him through 'gateways' to other worlds, which are all seemingly dead with only remnants of their population left behind (which serve as game hints). There's also signs left behind by some mysterious "Corporation", talking about the (now non functioning) technology you come across along the way, which can be a little funny.

Control is pretty straightforward thus far, you move left or right by pressing either side of the screen as you 'rotate' around each planet/stage. You jump by either tapping high or doing like a slide/push upwards. So far it works pretty well and I haven't had any problems with control.

Pastry

Banned
So I am literally on my way to buy an iPad as we speak. What games can I only get on an iPad/ are significantly better on an iPad that I should break it in with?

I'm enjoying Incoboto. I think it's iPad only. People will be quick to make a few Mario Galaxy references, in that the 'planet as a level' structure is in play and there are a few gravity tricks thrown in here or there, but it's more a puzzle game at heart. Puzzles involve some platforming, or getting devices on each planet to function and/or work together. It's also got a nice style to it, though I have yet in my (admittedly early) play to see too much variation.

iHgBmOw8t3MaX.jpg

ibtZ55iRqsJG7e.jpg

You are a little dude on your own little planet when you are visited by a 'sun', who references danger on other planets. You follow him through 'gateways' to other worlds, which are all seemingly dead with only remnants of their population left behind (which serve as game hints). There's also signs left behind by some mysterious "Corporation", talking about the (now non functioning) technology you come across along the way, which can be a little funny.

Control is pretty straightforward thus far, you move left or right by pressing either side of the screen as you 'rotate' around each planet/stage. You jump by either tapping high or doing like a slide/push upwards. So far it works pretty well and I haven't had any problems with control.

Break it in with Incoboto!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

bubnbob

Banned
Be careful with Terra Noctis. Apparently the "free" version they released fixed the game and gave it a proper ending, while the 99 cent one never saw the update, and was the free version was pulled from appstore, and the developers I believe just gave up on ever messing with it because it did bad for them (they're doing that Spellsword game I think)

But I guess none of that matters if you still enjoy the game for a dollar. I bought it myself for the nice pixel-y art.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone know how long Dark Meadow is? I have it installed, and it's kind of fun, but I don't want to sink more than an hour or two into it. Is it short?

Edit: what the EFF. I bought Modern Combat 3 from gameloft the day it came out - BOUGHT - and I tried playing it today on my unjailbroken iPad 3, and I get a message saying the app was illegally obtained, then it locks me out. This iPad isn't even jailbroken, and I've never stolen a gameloft game. What the crap is this?

HBP

Does anyone know how long Dark Meadow is? I have it installed, and it's kind of fun, but I don't want to sink more than an hour or two into it. Is it short?

Edit: what the EFF. I bought Modern Combat 3 from gameloft the day it came out - BOUGHT - and I tried playing it today on my unjailbroken iPad 3, and I get a message saying the app was illegally obtained, then it locks me out. This iPad isn't even jailbroken, and I've never stolen a gameloft game. What the crap is this?

Delete your save and retry, if you have restored your device you can get that message.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My favorite iOS platformer by far

Just bought this based off of your recommendation. It's pretty good. Controls and gameplay are fine. But, wow, that audio is awful. Music and sound effects. Just horrible.

Just bought this based off of your recommendation. It's pretty good. Controls and gameplay are fine. But, wow, that audio is awful. Music and sound effects. Just horrible.

Audio is on mute when I played it, it's so bad I thought I had a problem with my iPhone

I love the art design and the way it controlled was just so responsive, hope you enjoy it

So after all the music game talk a page or two back, I finally got around to trying Osu!Stream. I'm... not sure what to think about it. Thematically, it's as if the ITG guys decided to copy Ouendan instead, with a "hardcore" presentation that totally kills all the charm of the original game the same way ITG does. It also really bugs me that the drags can be one of several speeds with absolutely no indication of which speed it's going to be until it actually starts. It's really just making me wish I hadn't lost my copy of the first Ouendan, because I really want to play that instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom