• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

f0lken

you know that the iPad3 performs worse than the iPad2 right?

For real, thats probably the main reason the already update the 3rd gen ipad to a 4th instead of a refresh, so the A6X chip could finally run the retina resolution whitout the hiccups the A5X did

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Worse PPI, bad specs and $329!!?

If Crapple didn't have so many sheep to day 1 everything they make they would sink fast.

For real, thats probably the main reason the already update the 3rd gen ipad to a 4th instead of a refresh, so the A6X chip could finally run the retina resolution whitout the hiccups the A5X did

I think the real reason they updated it was to get lightning in there.

If Crapple didn't have so many sheep to day 1 everything they make they would sink fast.

Crapple!

rezuth

As someone with an iPad, Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, MacBook etc I have to say some of the language being used in the video made me cringe so fucking bad - how many times did they call it magical? Or use awful terms like "These aren't just the same apps you use on your phone, these are powerful apps."

Sorry what Apple? Fucking hell. I can't believe I used to be a sucker for their marketing.

Also love how they constantly talked about how the iPhone was the perfect size, any bigger and it wouldn't fit in one hand... yet a 7.9" tablet apparently now works perfectly in one hand...?!

Using AND holding something with one hand is not the same as holding something in a hand.

bob page

What are you talking about bad specs? The iPad 2 still benchmarks faster than almost all tablets. This has the same specs as the iPad 2.

Bollocks

Am I the only one who thinks that the bezel is way too thin?
The key feature for a 7" tablet is that you can hold it in one hand, yet with that bezel you either trigger the touch-screen accidentally more than you want or you have to hold it in a way that becomes uncomfortable very quickly.

Just because you make the device smaller doesn't mean that the hand that operates it scales with it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wait... it has a lower DPI than the Nexus 7? That's really disappointing IMO.

Yes it's all fanboy sheep buying these by the millions. lmao

Heck no it isn't, but it is sheep that defend the stupid price, the removal of optical drives from a 1300 dollar desktop computer etc. Apple haters are bad, but Apple defenders can be just as pathetic.

iPad 2 gets very little IOS6 features ..hmm

Will iPad Mini get turn-by-turn and Siri? I think that's all most people getting one will care about. It's not like the new iOS is any good or being raved about for its awesomeness.

What hiccups? I went from an iPad 1 to an iPad 3, and the latter is butter smooth -- not blazingly fast but runs very well.

iPad 3 is definitely not butter smooth. It has huge issues switching perspective, especially with video playing. In comparison, iPad 2 is much much better. The new version of the retina iPad will definitely take care of that.

Using AND holding something with one hand is not the same as holding something in a hand.

No, to his point they actually talk about thinning the bezel to accomodate using it, not just holding it. This stuck out to me too. It bugged me. Everything is the perfect size down to a fraction of a millimeter... until it isn't.

Will iPad Mini get turn-by-turn and Siri? I think that's all most people getting one will care about. It's not like the new iOS is any good or being raved about for its awesomeness.

iPad 3 is definitely not butter smooth. It has huge issues switching perspective, especially with video playing. In comparison, iPad 2 is much much better. The new version of the retina iPad will definitely take care of that.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/features/

Right out of the box, iPad mini is ready for big things. Map out your next adventure. Then shoot it in 1080p HD. Ask Siri to help you find the best pizza in town. Watch a webcast or a movie. Read a best seller or a magazine. Check email. Send messages. Or stay in touch face-to-face over FaceTime. You’ll be amazed at how much is built right in.

Cipherr

Did the Trip Advisor Android App seriously regress or something? Thats actually pretty hilarious if it did, or if they are advertising proper tablet layouts for the Android app when they know it doesn't actually have it.

Trip-Advisor.jpg

ipadmini_0598.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No, to his point they actually talk about thinning the bezel to accomodate using it, not just holding it. This stuck out to me too. It bugged me. Everything is the perfect size down to a fraction of a millimeter... until it isn't.

Well what do you expect, really. In marketing speak, every product they release is the most perfect thing ever, all other designs are against nature.... until they design a new product.

KingKong

that whole comparison was hilarious, I can't tell how many people were actually eating it up

*ignores the ppi difference*

Shai-Tan

Banned
I think it's a bit of a form factor fail. One thing I love about my Nexus 7 compared to my ipad 2 is the ability to comfortably palm, especially while walking around, or stick it in my pocket for a few minutes. The new ipad mini is 0.6 inches wider than the Nexus 7. I was never in the market for the mini anyway considering I already have an ipad 2 and feel the N7 isn't even powerful enough on the CPU end but I think they miss the boat on what is compelling about the 7" form factor. I feel like they could even shrink the bezel on the N7 a bit more (it's about as wide as a finger)

Huh? I've been using one for months. It's absolutely fine. Maybe I'm just not a nitpicker. *shrug*

The iPad 2 has a terrible resolution and a chipset that gobbles it up; the iPad 3, on the other hand, has a chipset that works well -- just well. It may not overpower the resolution, but it's silly to say it cannot handle it.

Aurongel

Not buying one, $330 is asking a lot for a device that is only a marginal step above its' much cheaper competition at this point. It's not a bad product by any stretch of the imagination, it just looks a bit strange when compared to a Nexus 7 or even the $70 more expensive iPad 2.

massoluk

Banned
I do find it bad form for them throwing all those craps at Nexus then revealing the price. You don't have any legs to stand on when your product is $129 more expensive than your competitor, especially when your competitor outdoes you in some areas.

I do find it bad form for them throwing all those craps at Nexus then revealing the price. You don't have any legs to stand on when your product is $129 more expensive than your competitor, especially when your competitor outdoes you in some areas.

They're obviously scared of the Nexus. Only reason to childishly make those comparisons, which is odd for Apple to do.

Huh? I've been using one for months. It's absolutely fine. Maybe I'm just not a nitpicker. *shrug*

The iPad 2 has a terrible resolution and a chipset that gobbles it up; the iPad 3, on the other hand, has a chipset that works well -- just well. It may not overpower the resolution, but it's silly to say it cannot handle it.

It's not remotely nitpicking to point out that the current processor is fast enough to power all the pixels, but has a hard time powering newer apps. It's most likely why they switched to the new chip so fast. The old one was showing its age nearly the same day it was released.

Cipherr

Looks Sexy

ipadmini3331_verge_super_wide.jpg

That bezel is razor thin on the left and right.

They're obviously scared of the Nexus. Only reason to childishly make those comparisons, which is odd for Apple to do.

I don't think they are scared per se, it was just... I dunno, odd. I mean, they put the Nexus right up there on the screen during their conference lol. Usually they will make a quip or two about the 'other guys', but these last few years, they have gotten pretty direct. They are ACTING scared, but I dont see any reason why they would or should be. Its amusing though.

f0lken

You went frok a 1st gen to a 3rd, obviously will be better, but the reality is that the low res if the 2nd gen iPad allows for a faster and better performance iPad than the third, and yes, the A5X can handle that hi res screen, but not as well as the A5 handled the iPad 2 one, and in some cases is so noticeable that isn't surprising Apple had to put a new chip this soon

Begun the decline has.

No one is invincible forever, just ask Microsoft.
Sometimes I wonder if people really believe this, or that the iPad Mini will not steamroll the Nexus >insert whatever name they come up with on the 26th< this holiday season.

KingKong

Mmm I don't know, that still looks pretty big for reading.

I guess I consider the Kindle to be the perfect 'book' size and that's what, 6.5 by 5?

Shai-Tan

Banned
Did the Trip Advisor Android App seriously regress or something? Thats actually pretty hilarious if it did, or if they are advertising proper tablet layouts for the Android app when they know it doesn't actually have it.

Trip-Advisor.jpg

ipadmini_0598.jpg

I tried it on the Nexus 7 and it looks like it isn't updated properly to the tablet interface. The screen shot there you posted is on the app page but it looks like it's from a full sized tablet interface (the bar on the bottom is only on 10" or bigger tablets). So they haven't updated it for whatever reason. Most of the apps I use have had N7 updates a long while ago though I guess there are some that haven't bothered to fix yet. It's also a bit misleading however considering almost every app that isn't updated has an alternative that probably is.

Aurongel

I found it a bit odd that Apple was trying to position the iPad Mini as a more eBook friendly device while also choosing to shave off the bezel on both sides. That might make it hard to hold one handed for some, kinda defeats the purpose of Apple's whole eBook stance.

Top Bottom