• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Rookje

For those selling their iPad minis, where's the best place to do it? Craigslist? And what price are you trying to go for assuming it "looks like new"?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So this thing almost definitely has the same amount of RAM as the iPad AIR, right?

Bigfoot

No ram increase would be idiotic. It's really the only problem I got with gen 1.

Of course there's a RAM increase.

So this thing almost definitely has the same amount of RAM as the iPad AIR, right?

Nobody knows for sure, but probably not the same as the iPad Air (unless the Air only has 1 GB). When I tried to find out what it was, everything online seems to indicate that the retina Mini will have 512 KB or 1 GB RAM. No one seems to expect any more than 1 GB.

It would be nice if Apple would just start telling everyone how much RAM their devices have when it is shown. We find out eventually anyways when a teardown is done. I don't get why Apple keeps the amount of RAM a secret.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just replaced my lightning cable. Ever since my mall got the doublesized apple store the wait times have disappeared. Still kind of annoying to have to go to the mall, but the apple retail experience is still pretty great. I didn't even have to do anything I was like "yeah im jeff with an appointment at 120" and then after that i didnt even have to say a word. i just handed him my cable and sat at the bar.

Bigfoot

i don't get why the ipad air would have different ram vs mini. Same resolution same a7... different ram?

It's NOT going to have 512 MB of RAM. Even the iPad 3 had 1GB. It's pretty much a bare minimum to drive that resolution.

It's Apple! They love to disappoint. Need to leave something for the next revision...

Just to be clear, I'm expecting 1 GB (but no more) although I have read otherwise online and I wouldn't be that surprised either if the RAM stays as is (512 KB).

What does the iPad Air have for RAM? 2 GB or is it still 1 GB? I'm guessing we don't know that yet either but even if it has 2 GB, I wouldn't expect the retina Mini to have that same. 1 GB is the most you should expect for the new mini.

Aiii

So not worth it
I 100% guarantee you the Mini has at least 1GB RAM. There is no doubt here, it does not come with 512MB of RAM.

Don't take my word for it, watch the hands-on videos and see for yourself.

Bigfoot

I 100% guarantee you the Mini has at least 1GB RAM. There is no doubt here, it does not come with 512MB of RAM.

Don't take my word for it, watch the hands-on videos and see for yourself.

I'm sure you are right. I was just saying I read other wise (this site for example), but they are likely incorrect as Apple hasn't released anything on the RAM. I'm just familiar enough with Apple products that any more than 1 GB RAM would be a huge surprise for them. The non-retina Mini really needs 1 GB RAM and the retina could use 2 GB RAM but Apple thinks otherwise.

It's Apple! They love to disappoint. Need to leave something for the next revision...

Just to be clear, I'm expecting 1 GB (but no more) although I have read otherwise online and I wouldn't be that surprised either if the RAM stays as is (512 KB).

What does the iPad Air have for RAM? 2 GB or is it still 1 GB? I'm guessing we don't know that yet either but even if it has 2 GB, I wouldn't expect the retina Mini to have that same. 1 GB is the most you should expect for the new mini.

I'm also expecting 1 GB for the Mini, but shipping it with 512 would possibly be the worst decision Apple could make. The performance would undoubtedly be horrible.

Even iPhones 5 and onward come with 1GB and those only have to push about half as many pixels as retina iPads do.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Has anyone else had their lightning cables break on them? I'm gonna get mine replaced today. :\
Apple's cables suck period. Ever since they stopped putting the stress preventers on the ends because "they don't look good" all their cables have gone to shit.

I could take a picture of all my cables. All but two of them are wrapped in electrical tape now. The two that aren't were made before 2007. (One from my old white MacBook and an iPod cable from a 3G iPod.) Okay, maybe also a third. My iPad mini cable, which is starting to stress anyway.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I must say I'm surprised how much a 70 dollar price increase matters to people in here. It's a fully specced iPad with more cpu and graphical power than any iPad before it, and It's got the same resolution as the top model. How could it not get a price increase?

I feel that people should consider the massive upgrade the mini 2 has gotten before whining about the price increase. You're the reason the iPad 2 and first gen mini is still gonna be sold.

jts

...hate me...
I must say I'm surprised how much a 70 dollar price increase matters to people in here. It's a fully specced iPad with more cpu and graphical power than any iPad before it, and It's got the same resolution as the top model. How could it not get a price increase?

I feel that people should consider the massive upgrade the mini 2 has gotten before whining about the price increase. You're the reason the iPad 2 and first gen mini is still gonna be sold.
I believe the mini is still a good product. Affordable, fair performance, thinner and lighter than the retina mini... and I think it's also gonna get better battery life out of the 2.

The iPad 2 is the same in a 9.7" package. The only problem is that if the OG mini can be slightly overpriced, the iPad is crazy overpriced. 250 for the mini and 300 for the 2 would be nice.

Fox Mulder

For those selling their iPad minis, where's the best place to do it? Craigslist? And what price are you trying to go for assuming it "looks like new"?

I just sell it on eBay, have done so twice now when I upgrade. My auction ends later today and is already around $250. I'm expecting over $300 since it's a 32GB in great condition.

bob page

So, does the performance really tanks with iOS7, GAF? help me decide to upgrade or not.

Performance is definitely worse, even with background sync, animations, etc disabled. But it's not unbearable. Multitouch gestures are pretty glitchy and safari seems slower.

The most noticeable decrease is in battery life- it's probably around 30% worse for me, even after a factory reset.

iOS 7 wasn't really worthwhile for me on iPad. I don't think I've really taken advantage of any of the new features on this device.

tino

Banned
Guys, I need some app recommendation. I haven't used iOS in 3 years.

I need a good Google Voice app for the iPad mini I just got

Also, a good data usage moniotoring app I can access on the iOS6 notification center. I don't mind paying for one if its cheap. Just got the free 200mb TMobile data plan activated on my ATT iPad mini 3G.

On Demand

Banned
I need some advice on the mini.

I never cared at all about anything ipad until my cousin brought his ipad mini over to my house. He stayed for 2 months so i got the chance to use it everyday. It's a cool device. I still didn't think i needed it.......until he left. Haha. Being without the ipad made me realise how much i used it. I think i used it more than him.

So now i'm interested in buying one. I saw they have a different model from the one i used that has more resolution and the A7 processor. But it cost $100 more :/......is the new model worth that price or should i just buy the first version? And where can i get the best deals, if any.

Quick

Banned
I need some advice on the mini.

I never cared at all about anything ipad until my cousin brought his ipad mini over to my house. He stayed for 2 months so i got the chance to use it everyday. It's a cool device. I still didn't think i needed it.......until he left. Haha. Being without the ipad made me realise how much i used it. I think i used it more than him.

So now i'm interested in buying one. I saw they have a different model from the one i used that has more resolution and the A7 processor. But it cost $100 more :/......is the new model worth that price or should i just buy the first version? And where can i get the best deals, if any.

I know the feeling. Sold my iPad (3rd gen), and didn't have it for a week. Anytime I'd want to watch a movie or TV show before bed, I'd reach out for my iPad. Not having it was just weird, since it became part of my daily routine to browse the web, read, or watch on it.

The higher resolution and A7 processor definitely makes a difference, I think. And you future proof yourself better by buying the latest version, too.

Can't speak for American stores, but prices have been fixed mostly across all Canadian stores, with the exception of Best Buy and Future Shop having the occasional deal on them ($20 off mostly).

On Demand

Banned
I know the feeling. Sold my iPad (3rd gen), and didn't have it for a week. Anytime I'd want to watch a movie or TV show before bed, I'd reach out for my iPad. Not having it was just weird, since it became part of my daily routine to browse the web, read, or watch on it.

The higher resolution and A7 processor definitely makes a difference, I think. And you future proof yourself better by buying the latest version, too.

Can't speak for American stores, but prices have been fixed mostly across all Canadian stores, with the exception of Best Buy and Future Shop having the occasional deal on them ($20 off mostly).

yeah the higher resolution should make for some nice video and web viewing.

Bestbuy has them on sale for $20 off. I'm looking for something a little lower. How low has mini gotten in price before?

I have a Tmobile pre paid plan for $30 a month. I get 5gigs of data. Can i use the sim card in the iPad and the data there?

yeah the higher resolution should make for some nice video and web viewing.

Bestbuy has them on sale for $20 off. I'm looking for something a little lower. How low has mini gotten in price before?

I have a Tmobile pre paid plan for $30 a month. I get 5gigs of data. Can i use the sim card in the iPad and the data there?

Only if you buy the model with cellular (+$100~). Cheaper but clunkier solution is to turn on your phone's mobile wifi hotspot feature instead (if your phone supports it...)

On Demand

Banned
Yeah i called Tmobile about that since i currently have their $30 pre paid plan. The mobile hot spot would cost me more money and i'll only get 2.7 gigs of data. The plan i have now gives me high speed up to 5 gigs. If i wanted data for the ipad i would need a separate plan from the one i already have. I'll just get the wifi version.

Which cases are good for the mini? There's a bunch and i was thinking of getting the apple smart cover. But then realised it's literally a only a cover. I like the look of the smart case but that price-

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...st=y&iht=n&st=processingtime:>1900-01-01&gf=y

Top Bottom