• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Omni

So I've noticed that sometimes while typing posts there is a 1+ second lag between pressing buttons on the keyboard to the letters appearing on screen. It's very odd... And annoying.

Anyone know what would be causing this?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want an iPad mini Retina, but not for $400. If they released a separate Retina model for $400, I'd just wait until next year when they put the Retina display in the normal models for the same low price. My non-Retina iPad mini works fine and dandy.

Blastoise

Banned
I just got XCOM for you cheapos..... And I wish Apple had a refund option.

It is playable, but the frame-rate is bellow 30. The touch-based control can become a challenge to get used to. For instance I had trouble getting my unit to go to the exact position. However it is turn-based, so you can take your time and refine.

But worst of all it looks like crap. Especially if you have seen how good it looks on the PC, or even on consoles. They are no post processing effects, the textures are muddy, and overall it just looks ugly. Here is a comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JffvJhQxzQQ

It is entirely serviceable. But I suggest to maybe wait for a sale on this one.

jts

...hate me...
As long as it doesn't compromise the thickness, weight or battery life, I would not go mad over a price bump on a retina mini (although obviously I don't want it!).

For me the mini is simply the best tablet on the market.

lupinko

All the more to be happy with my purchase.

Though I have given it some thought to keep my current mini for potential work purposes and use the eventual retina mini for home/fun purposes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Now it might have a retina display. Doesn't the WSJ tend to be pretty accurate?

http://bgr.com/2013/08/01/ipad-mini-2-retina-display/
It better, now that the new Nexus 7 is giving it a run for its money according to ArsTechnica. I mean I would never go back to Android, but if I was on the fence about picking one, I'd definitely consider the 7.

Anyway, I know I'll want one. (A Retina mini) But my current one works great right now and I don't even notice the pixel size so I can wait for Retina mini 2.

Fox Mulder

I don't need retina, but it's probably going to be needed at some point with android tablets using great screens.

I just want more ram. I almost exclusively browse the internet on my mini now, and the constant reloading of pages with multiple tabs open is annoying.

Why is there the assumption it'll be one or the other? Isn't it possible there is a non-Retina as the entry level and retina as a premium version?

Shearie

I NEED a retina Mini. Thing is, I hope it doesn't go the iPad route where it gets fatter and heavier. By the way, when the hell is Apple going to go IGZO for their iOS screens?

Why is there the assumption it'll be one or the other? Isn't it possible there is a non-Retina as the entry level and retina as a premium version?

Looking like it will be both. I could see this lineup:

1) iPad mini (non-retina) at $299 or $329
2) iPad mini with Retina Display at $399
3) iPad with Retina Display at $499

Maybe the iPad lineup starts to mimic the iPod touch lineup where you have the 16GB iPad mini (non-retina) at $329 as the only option and then you start the retina iPad mini at $399 and go from there?

Yeah, I can see that. They'll be dropping the iPad 2 most likely, so the retina mini would slot right into that price bracket. I could even see them cutting the camera on the entry-level mini to get that $299 price (sort of like they did with the recent 16GB iPod Touch)

If the Retina does actually come out in the fall but doesn't get an A7...

I actually hope the rumors are true that the Mini comes in the fall with A6/no Retina and then in early 2014 we get A7/Retina.

TokiDoki

Is the RAM upgrade really that important ? I could live without retina but kinda worried about the performance .

Really want a mini , like right now :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is the RAM upgrade really that important ? I could live without retina but kinda worried about the performance .

A mini right now is basically an iPad 2. Which is currently 2 generations behind. You should hold out until next month when the iOS event happens at least just in case.

More RAM is what I want more from an iPad Mini 2 than a retina display.

it gets really annoying watching the pages refresh

Aiii

So not worth it
Is the RAM upgrade really that important?

It's the single most important upgrade they have to make.

Less app crashing (#1 reason these things crash is because they run out of RAM to process their data with) and less reloading of webpages and apps.

Retina is great, more CPU power is fine for load times for games, but RAM is where the iPad Mini has most to gain.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Should someone revive this thread, or should the ipad mini 2 get its own thread?

Anyway, I was actually quite blown away by the reveal yesterday. I hoped for a retina mini, but wasn't really sure that it would come. That it also got the full A7 chip was completely surprising to me. Even though I had read some predictions of this I didn't believe 'em.

And even though the ipad mini got more than I ever thought it would get, I'm actually now in doubt whether the iPad mini 2 or Ipad Air is the pad for me this year. By making them essentially the same I don't have any other differentiators to fall back on other than size. And that is the most difficult of all.

What do you guys think? I'm in the process of convincing my GF to go halfsies on an Air, and buy a mini 2 for myself when travelling/commuting ... Haha.

(The prize difference doesn't mean anything to me. I'll get whatever I paid extra back when I sell most likely.)

Fox Mulder

Should someone revive this thread, or should the ipad mini 2 get its own thread?

Anyway, I was actually quite blown away by the reveal yesterday. I hoped for a retina mini, but wasn't really sure that it would come. That it also got the full A7 chip was completely surprising to me. Even though I had read some predictions of this I didn't believe 'em.

And even though the ipad mini got more than I ever thought it would get, I'm actually now in doubt whether the iPad mini 2 or Ipad Air is the pad for me this year. By making them essentially the same I don't have any other differentiators to fall back on other than size. And that is the most difficult of all.

What do you guys think? I'm in the process of convincing my GF to go halfsies on an Air, and buy a mini 2 for myself when travelling/commuting ... Haha.

(The prize difference doesn't mean anything to me. I'll get whatever I paid extra back when I sell most likely.)

I'm probably going to lean towards the Air now, but will try it out at best buy or somewhere first. I love the mini, but Apple made the Air a better buy for $100 more unless you really just want the smaller form.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The $70 price hike absolutely gutted me. I even sold my current iPad in anticipation of buying the mini, but I can't talk myself into paying $70 more. I just can't do it. In now looking at buying a used 4th gen iPad from eBay.

Fox Mulder

The $70 price hike absolutely gutted me. I even sold my current iPad in anticipation of buying the mini, but I can't talk myself into paying $70 more. I just can't do it. In now looking at buying a used 4th gen iPad from eBay.

if you're looking at buying used, apple sells refurbished stuff online. I've bought two from them and they look brand new.

Ecto311

People with experience with the mini - would it still be good for a 4 yr old to get into some educational apps and videos? The battery last with iOS7? I just got back into the iPhone and my 5c lasts all day and more with lots more usage than my android ever did, but I have heard iOS7 was causing issues for some iPhones.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone else had their lightning cables break on them? I'm gonna get mine replaced today. :\

Bigfoot

I was on a wait and see with the new Retina iPad Mini, but I think I'll have to pass on this one. I'm still enjoying my iPad Mini even without a retina display so I can wait another year at least.

Reasons for not upgrading:
  1. The price increase... WTF Apple?
  2. Slightly thicker and heavier
  3. No RAM increase (although not confirmed yet, but I have read it is still 512 although one site said 1 GB)
  4. Still 16 GB base and still charging $100 for a storage bump. I need at least 32 GB

The original iPad Mini is still plenty fast too because it doesn't have a retina display to push, so there is nothing really driving me to upgrade now. My only minor complaint is the RAM at times when I have a few tabs open but it doesn't seem that the retina mini will fix that issue.

Top Bottom