• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

Blastoise

Banned
Oh man it feels like I'm back in 2010 with this device. I can't load more than two tabs in safari without it wanting to reload the page.

Oh man it feels like I'm back in 2010 with this device. I can't load more than two tabs in safari without it wanting to reload the page.

Kinda had the similar issues along with the display bothering me. So I went ahead and bought myself a 32GB iPad 4.

It seems harder to use this thing after using the mini, just seems much much heavier. I will need to get used to this device again.

GuessWho

I don't get all this anti-A5X. I have an ipad 3 and my parents have the 4, and the differences are so negligible. You have to hold it side by side to notice a small tiny difference. It's not leaps and bounds better.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't get all this anti-A5X. I have an ipad 3 and my parents have the 4, and the differences are so negligible. You have to hold it side by side to notice a small tiny difference. It's not leaps and bounds better.

Who's talking about the difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4?

The iPad Mini is based on the Apple A5 and has 512 MB of memory.

CrankyJay

Banned
Kinda had the similar issues along with the display bothering me. So I went ahead and bought myself a 32GB iPad 4.

It seems harder to use this thing after using the mini, just seems much much heavier. I will need to get used to this device again.

Man, you're gonna have some massive forearms after lifting that iPad 4. Take pics for us.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I'm a future man with a magical book.
I can only imagine how freaked out people from a hundred years ago would be if they saw tablets today.

"What do you mean I can access a complete record of all human knowledge?!" Mind explodes.

sfedai0

Banned
Just played with one at BB and really warmed up to the form factor. Seems much more natural to hold, and therefore more conducive to media consumption than my iPad3. The 3 is just too damn heavy after about 15 min of use. Will be waiting for the inevitable Mini 2.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just played with one at BB and really warmed up to the form factor. Seems much more natural to hold, and therefore more conducive to media consumption than my iPad3. The 3 is just too damn heavy after about 15 min of use. Will be waiting for the inevitable Mini 2.
You've seen the leaked cases of the iPad5, right? It'll be as "natural" to hold as the iPad Mini

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The iPad mini is at a certain weight threshold though.. It effectively weighs nothing. I'm pretty sure the wool felt case I made for it weighs the same.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ZabjJMY.jpg
Ok so I just got this gas mask bag. It's too perfect for the mini. This is the greatest thing ever. There's even little pockets on the side for your lightning cables and IDs and there's volume enough to stow a fresh pair of socks and a barebones toiletry kit. You could probably even fit a TShirt too if you fold it the right way. On the outside there's a D-loop and canvas tie that can bundle things too.

Super great for 16 bucks, shipping included.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
iPad mini battery life is really great. I use it nightly to watch streamed movies (rip laptop) and it's great how many days it lasts without charging.

Also best manga device ahh.

Emarv

When the Retina Mini comes out (in the fall?), what's the best way to upgrade? Selling on Craigslist? Selling to another retailer? I've never had to do this before with a device.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You should probably just wait until the second gen retina version is available.

numble

You should probably just wait until the second gen retina version is available.
Nah, the best time to sell it should be the week before the announcement, when invites are out. Even better if there are strong rumors about an announcement. At that point, most of the public isn't aware of the new one, and retailers haven't price-dropped old models yet.

Edit: Oops, read your post incorrectly.

Husker86

When the Retina Mini comes out (in the fall?), what's the best way to upgrade? Selling on Craigslist? Selling to another retailer? I've never had to do this before with a device.

Craigslist is good if you're in a decent sized city. I resort to eBay when the extra fees still keep me above the lowball CL offers. That's usually only necessary with iPhones since they fetch great eBay prices. iPad you should be fine on CL.

Marco1

Bought a mini today and wrapped it in a dark grey switcheasy coverbuddy case with red smart cover.
Absolutely love it but one thing that's really pissed me off are the amount of apps that need to be bought separately that I have on my iphone 5 such as angry birds and cut the rope. It's annoyed me so much that I think I'll go with a galaxyS4 soon.

kr2t0s

Bought a mini today and wrapped it in a dark grey switcheasy coverbuddy case with red smart cover.
Absolutely love it but one thing that's really pissed me off are the amount of apps that need to be bought separately that I have on my iphone 5 such as angry birds and cut the rope. It's annoyed me so much that I think I'll go with a galaxyS4 soon.

You don't need angry birds or cut the rope on your ipad.

Marco1

You don't need angry birds or cut the rope on your ipad.

I agree but they were just two examples. What is the point of the apple ecosystem when a similar app has to be bought twice just because they add a higher resolution with the HD moniker? I now see no reason to own the iphone when I can now buy an android phone and have the best of both worlds.

numble

I agree but they were just two examples. What is the point of the apple ecosystem when a similar app has to be bought twice just because they add a higher resolution with the HD moniker? I now see no reason to own the iphone when I can now buy an android phone and have the best of both worlds.

It's up to the developer whether or not to make universal apps. The Play Store also sells normal and HD versions of Cut the Rope for instance.

lupinko

Eh, couldn't wait anymore and just bought mini 16gb black. School is already near the end but I can still use it for my final papers.

mrkgoo

I'm finding it actually kind of annoying to have universal apps these days. Apple differentiate the models to create a range by storage space, and since it's not expandable, it can be valuable.

A lot of storage is taken up on my iPhone 5 for excessively large apps because they are retina for iPad4 as well.

lupinko

Is there a way to stream music from your iPhone to ipad. I tried skifta but its very laggy and bloated. No jailbreak recommendations unfortunately.

Edit: Never mind found the perfect app.

Measley

My wife and I each picked up an iPad mini. She got black, and I got white. Awesome purchase. We each use our pads for a variety of purposes. We were originally in the market for the regular iPad, but it just seemed so huge and bulky compared to the mini that we decided to go with the latter.

The mini is truly a great device to hold and work with.

lupinko

For whatever reason my mini will not sync any videos or music, but syncs everything else fine. It also doesn't download any media from the cloud either so again videos and music. A little annoyed at that.

Edit: could be because I restored from iCloud at the apple store and my iCloud backup was from my old iphone 4 from last year. I use a 5 now.

lupinko

That's it, I give up because the mini will not sync any video or music.

edit: fixed it by doing a full restore, everything works now.

Wow, had no idea they made one for the Mini too. Looks worse than a netbook :O

The reviews are good but all of them say the same thing about the keyboard being cramped. I think it's a good option for when I need to complete a long typing assignment on the go.

It has been impossible to find in Canada too. Most retailers are not carrying it yet and the Apple Store is backed up to 1-2 weeks shipping. Went into an Apple Store and they've been getting tons of requests for them.

I think it looks good:

Logitech-Ultrathink-Keyboard-Cover-for-iPad-mini-1.jpg

Top Bottom