• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

jts

...hate me...
iPad Mini with retina resolution and A6X chip and I'm good with a tablet for the next 2-3 years
I'd second that (throw in 1 or 2GB of RAM as well), but...

That's a just shallow side of specs. If it's heavier, has less battery life, battery takes longer to charge, then it's shit and I'd rather have the non-retina current one.

RBH

(1) The iPhone 5S is still months away from mass production, but our source suspects that the star feature will be an upgraded rear camera—perhaps featuring Sony’s 13-Megapixel sensor, plus the aforementioned flash upgrade—along with a processor bump. Current prototypes are codenamed N51 and N53, with July mentioned as the target date.

(2) The iPad 5’s code name is J72. As mentioned before, it looks like an October release, give or take.

(3) The second-generation iPad mini has a code name of J85, and is currently planned for October, as well. Everyone we’ve spoken with assumes that it will look and feel basically the same as the first-generation model but feature a Retina screen. That said, no one has actually come up with deeper details on it quite yet. If it’s going to go Retina without substantial body changes, it will need a thin, dense screen (read: IGZO), and it remains to be seen whether there will be enough of those to go around this year.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ba...re-ipad-5-iphone-5s-and-ipad-mini-2g-details/

Locke_211

Right, I've done a lot of tablet research and I have narrowed down what I want to the Ipad Mini or the Nexus 7. The £60 or so difference isn't that much of a big deal, if I really like the one I get.

I know I don't need a 10 inch one, and I don't want it for work, just watching some videos and chilling out browsing, instead of having a laptop balanced on my lap or the arm of the sofa. And maybe some gaming!

Also, I've never owned any tablet before, or a smart-phone more advanced than the Blackberry Curve (lol etc).

I'm thinking the extra inch for the Ipad Mini may make all the difference, but all the Nexus reviews go on about how beautiful its smaller screen is. My dilemma is basically if I get the Nexus, I'll want the bigger and less narrow screen. And if I get the Ipad Mini, I'll want the clearer Nexus screen.

I'm leaning more towards the Mini at the moment, for the size. And some videos make layouts of pages look so much more advanced somehow. Can anyone here sway me for good??

bob page

Right, I've done a lot of tablet research and I have narrowed down what I want to the Ipad Mini or the Nexus 7. The £60 or so difference isn't that much of a big deal, if I really like the one I get.

I know I don't need a 10 inch one, and I don't want it for work, just watching some videos and chilling out browsing, instead of having a laptop balanced on my lap or the arm of the sofa. And maybe some gaming!

Also, I've never owned any tablet before, or a smart-phone more advanced than the Blackberry Curve (lol etc).

I'm thinking the extra inch for the Ipad Mini may make all the different, but all the Nexus reviews go on about how beautiful it's smaller screen is. My dilemma is basically if I get the Nexus, I'll want the bigger and less narrow screen. And if I get the Ipad Mini, I'll want the clearer Nexus screen.

I'm leaning more towards the Mini at the moment, for the size. And some videos make layouts of pages look so much more advanced somehow. Can anyone here sway me for good??
I wasn't a fan of the N7 screen size. Since it's more narrow, using the device in landscape was pretty much useless (especially when typing, when the keyboard takes up half the screen).

The build quality of the mini is vastly superior, too. I don't know if this issue still exists, but my N7 had issues with creaking when the screen or sides were pressed.

bob page

I'm getting rid of a couple iPad mini cases if anyone's interested:

-Weird Old Snail iPad mini sleeve (charcoal w/ green lining, handmade felt) - $25 shipped (retails for $37)
BRAND NEW, took 4 weeks for it to arrive from Israel and already had purchased a new case by then. Handmade felt sleeve with front pocket for cables, etc.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/112971052/ipad-mini-apple-tablet-sleeve-case-cover?

gNnoCYQl.jpg

yjaO6RMl.jpg

-BUILT NY iPad mini sleeve (black w/ blue lining) - $12 shipped (retails for $20)
This is a great padded sleeve that has a lint-free fuzzy lining. The fuzzy lining provides great padding and also cleans some of the dirt off the screen as you're taking it out.

fVpmEGZl.jpg

J6KZT5Gl.jpg

I'm thinking the extra inch for the Ipad Mini may make all the difference, but all the Nexus reviews go on about how beautiful its smaller screen is. My dilemma is basically if I get the Nexus, I'll want the bigger and less narrow screen. And if I get the Ipad Mini, I'll want the clearer Nexus screen.

The larger pcworld/curry's will have both on display. Go have a look at both and see if that helps with the decision.

NawidA

Banned
If price isn't a factor then there really isn't any competition. Get the iPad.

Amory

Thinking of picking up a Mini in the next few weeks, definitely going for the 4G/LTE model. Can someone recommend a data plan if im going to be using it mostly just for browsing the internet, but also for a modest amount of video streaming?

Which carrier has the best deal / how much data should I need? I live in Boston so I'd assume all three carriers would have 4G/LTE coverage here.

MRORANGE

Right now the onscreen keyboard is better than these ipad mini keyboard cases from china.

Honestly a full sizedbkeyboard is better to carry around.

jts

...hate me...
Thumb typing in vertical orientation is just the fucking best. I also believe it's the best typing experience in iOS.

Guess Who

Banned
ipad mini would need to meet the same res as the regular ipad retina in order for apps to work as-is. Apple's always been careful in adding new resolutions and they put priority on keeping resolutions as 2X doubles of previous screens.

it'll be exactly the same as the retina ipad res (but at the higher ppi of the iphone 5 due to the smaller screen size)

this needs to be drilled into the head of anyone talking about iphone and ipad screen sizes and resolutions.

Yeah, seriously. Apple isn't really doing any math to determine the ideal resolution for a "Retina" display at a certain screen size, people, they're just doubling the resolution they started with and coming up with marketing-speak to justify it later. They'll do the same with the Mini.

Wooo! picked my baby up today from Best Buy after it was delivered yesterday. Damn bastard said online that it wasn't available at the store, and when I got there, the lady told me I've been the only [dumbass] person to order it online recently.

Picked up the 16GB with a Targus Versavu case. Absolutely beautiful device, but I already know that screen fingerprints will drive me crazy.

I'll search the thread, but should I go with an anti-glare screen protector also? I don't want it to affect the visibility too much.

Edit: Nevermind, I think i'll hold off on the screen protector and just clean it often.

mrkgoo

Wooo! picked my baby up today from Best Buy after it was delivered yesterday. Damn bastard said online that it wasn't available at the store, and when I got there, the lady told me I've been the only [dumbass] person to order it online recently.

Picked up the 16GB with a Targus Versavu case. Absolutely beautiful device, but I already know that screen fingerprints will drive me crazy.

I'll search the thread, but should I go with an anti-glare screen protector also? I don't want it to affect the visibility too much.

Edit: Nevermind, I think i'll hold off on the screen protector and just clean it often.

Seriously after a couple weeks or months you won't care and just play with your toy.

All gadgets I get I baby for a while and once the honey moon period is over, I really enjoy just using it as it was intended.

The good things is I know I'm like that so I don't fret too much. With my new iPhone 5 I was picking dust out of the speaker grill with a magnifying glass, bemoaning the 0.1 mm gap, and stuff like that. But it now works well and I just use it. I clean it occasionally, but I don't care too much about dust and fingerprints anymore.

Oxn

Seriously after a couple weeks or months you won't care and just play with your toy.

All gadgets I get I baby for a while and once the honey moon period is over, I really enjoy just using it as it was intended.

The good things is I know I'm like that so I don't fret too much. With my new iPhone 5 I was picking dust out of the speaker grill with a magnifying glass, bemoaning the 0.1 mm gap, and stuff like that. But it now works well and I just use it. I clean it occasionally, but I don't care too much about dust and fingerprints anymore.

We got the same mindset
I baby the crap outta my electronics when i first get em and then i just use it as intended

For example my tablet bought a cAse and screen protector for it
Stopped using my case a few months ago and removed the screen protector
Now it is fully naked and i love using it that way
Still in great condition

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, after a few months of protecting my Apple products like a child I eventually just start using them and not caring. Dings and dents are part of its character. My Air has a bent corner. My iPhone has dinged edges on the plastic. And my iPad mini has a scratch on the shiny metal chamfer. I have cases for the iOS devices now but it's no big deal.

sarcastor

so Archos is releasing their own 8" tablet that's 1024x768 with 8gb but has SD and only cost $179 MSPR

the CES reviews weren't that good since there was only a demo unit. But for half the price, it can't be that bad, right? I'm just worried there aren't any android apps that can fit the 4:3 ratio

LCfiner

what did the CES reviews say about it? Was it poor because it was slow or the screen wasn't good? or was it just unfinished?

if you don't want or can't afford an iPad. I wouldn't spend 200 bucks on that with the nexus 7 available - that one is out and is known to be pretty decent (more narrow form factor which I don't love but the resolution is top notch)

VanWinkle

So I just got an iPad mini yesterday. I hated the iPhone 4 and vastly prefer [ICS-and-up] Android on phones, but I have just heard great things about iOS for tablets, and indeed the app selection is vastly superior. Anyway, I absolutely love it! Build quality is out of this world and the apps have been great. The ONLY issue, which is mentioned all the time, is that screen resolution. It feels like a big step back. I look at my fiancee's Nook HD screen and it looks SOO much better.

But overall, I'm VERY happy with it. I was surprised honestly. And since I'm a big guy, the width wasn't an issue for me when it came to holding it with one hand.

I'm planning on buying a iPad in a week or so... I have an iPhone 4S and tons of apps/games. I can't decide if i want to spend the money for a iPad 4(16g prolly) or get the cheaper iPad mini.... Hmmm. And thoughts or help? ?

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm planning on buying a iPad in a week or so... I have an iPhone 4S and tons of apps/games. I can't decide if i want to spend the money for a iPad 4(16g prolly) or get the cheaper iPad mini.... Hmmm. And thoughts or help? ?

Having gone from the big iPad 3 to a Nexus 7 and now to an iPad Mini I would definitely recommend the Mini over the 4. The only advantage the four gives you is the retina display, which is a great plus, but doesn't weigh up to the lower price, the light weight and better usability of the mini.

I currently only use the 3 for reading comics, everything else I do on the Mini.

You mention comics so I have to ask: why don't you read them on the mini? I have a Fire HD 7 and it's OK for comics and I'm considering selling the Fire and getting a Mini.

Aiii

So not worth it
Thought it would be obvious, retina display makes comics look drop dead gorgeous, you could never replicate that on regular resolution screens.

Is it worth picking up an iPad 4 just for comics? No, definitely not, unless you think it will be the main function for your tablet, which it won't be. Comics look fine on the iPad Mini, they look just amazimg on retina.

Im thinking of maybe getting a refurbished iPad 3 now over an ipad 4(about a 120$+ difference). Im wanting a "big" ipad with the full screen,, I dont really think i want a mini,, i also havent heard the best things about mini. I hate decision making lol.. then again only 100$+ more for an iPad 4 ....grrr

bob page

Im thinking of maybe getting a refurbished iPad 3 now over an ipad 4(about a 120$+ difference). Im wanting a "big" ipad with the full screen,, I dont really think i want a mini,, i also havent heard the best things about mini. I hate decision making lol.. then again only 100$+ more for an iPad 4 ....grrr
Who has spoken poorly about the mini? I haven't seen one bad review apart from the one at cultofmac.

http://gdgt.com/apple/ipad/mini/

And as soon as I talk about keyboards and the Mini, I see this and instantly want it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-mini?wt.mc_id=global_news_ultrathinmini

I'd rather have the same resolution as the current iPad mini and go to an A6 than retina and an A5X. If it's retina-A5X, I'm sticking with my current mini for round 2...which I'm fine with anyways.

Top Bottom