• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
quick question, can you comfortably read web pages in landscape without zooming in on the mini?

Trying to decide between an mini and full-size 4th gen and it's driving me crazy, must of looked at about hundred youtube reviews and comparisons.

mooooose

quick question, can you comfortably read web pages in landscape without zooming in on the mini?

Trying to decide between an mini and full-size 4th gen and it's driving me crazy, must of looked at about hundred youtube reviews and comparisons.
It's ok, I won't lie, mostly no, but any site that has a mobile option (like GAF) is absolutely sublime on the mini.

If you do have to zoom, its a single tap zoom that just zooms in on the text enough that it isn't ridiculous.

JayDub

Im unfortunately suffering from the same problems I had with the iPad 2, with my iPad Mini.

A general sense of "slowness"
Wifi keeps disconnecting! All my other (Apple) devices stay connected, even my iPhone! Same issue with iPad 2 too!

Bummer :(

bob page

Im unfortunately suffering from the same problems I had with the iPad 2, with my iPad Mini.

A general sense of "slowness"
Wifi keeps disconnecting! All my other (Apple) devices stay connected, even my iPhone! Same issue with iPad 2 too!

Bummer :(
Probably an issue with your router settings. I haven't had any wifi issues since installing the Tomato custom firmware on my router.

jts

...hate me...
Just a small off-topic thing: I couldn't even begin to think where I should post this. The whole Apple thing is too spread out and ironically, fragmented. Thread for iOS, thread for iPhone (model specific even), thread for iPad, thread for other iPad. It's getting out of hand.

We should go iOS thread and Mac thread (with separate ones for gaming).

Anyway, Numbers for iPad is great don't you thing? (you see, the software is for both iPads; it's also an iOS app; also on iPhones, not to mention iPod touches - but I'll only get help from people that specifically visit the iPad mini thread because I randomly chose this one).

The forms thing is great for data input and I'm trying to implement a cool spreadsheet at work. However, I'm not the best at it and I'm not figuring out properly how to make a spreadsheet with a column for date, so that the form will display/be able to choose the date of the event. You know, so I have a daily form for data input.
If you're familiar with the software you will understand, and if you can shed some light on the subject, then by all means pls halp. Been googling with no success.

I had made a concrete decision to wait for a refresh for retina display before grabbing a Mini to compiment my iPad 3. My intent was as an additional media device and digital sketchbook that I could easily carry in my hand.

Anyhow, the moment a 16GB black became available at the Mac dealer close to my house, I caved. I'm such a weak Kool-Aid drinker.

I have to say that I absolutely LOVE it though. It's such a great portable size - and I can't get over the minute weight of this thing. It fills the need that I imagined it would and cloud saving back and fourth between my biggie in Sketchbook Pro is fantastic.

Pachimari

My iPad Mini got a scratch at the bottom that goes into the screen. :( but I can only feel it if I use my nail and see it if I use light but it's kinda big. Gotta live with it.

when the retina version comes out in March I'll join you guys, can't wait

why would you be annoyed? because you can no longer show off that you have the latest apple tech? because I see no other reason as a new retina mini release doesn't change YOUR product in anyway
Wait do people really think a retina mini is coming that soon?

I just sold my third gen and got a mini, still don't know what to think of it, but I already know I'd sell this for a retina...

Phoenix

Wait do people really think a retina mini is coming that soon?

I just sold my third gen and got a mini, still don't know what to think of it, but I already know I'd sell this for a retina...

Because they did a total revamp on the iPad3 that quickly, and if they are launching a new one so soon - they must plan on making some changes to boost its sales potential for the rest of the year.

I wonder if they are trying to find the 'sweet spot' in release schedules. I was a little annoyed about the iPad 4th gen after 6 months, but right about that time the Nexus got bumped after 3 and that by comparison was a lot worse.

Maybe these days with Android and Windows devices releasing more frequently you can't go that long anymore without something on the market. 1-3 months seems too short, but I guess it could be argued these days that 1 year is too long.

for any sweet spot to buy a tech, the best time to buy it is really right when it comes out. Apple seems to be in a transition stage with the iPad 4 and iPad Mini IMO, so I'd wait on those. I went from selling my iPad 3 at a $100 loss to getting the iPad 4 day to retuning it for a full refund. iPad mini just makes sense when I have a laptop but the non retina is too glaring to overlook.

Vyer

Just a small off-topic thing: I couldn't even begin to think where I should post this. The whole Apple thing is too spread out and ironically, fragmented. Thread for iOS, thread for iPhone (model specific even), thread for iPad, thread for other iPad. It's getting out of hand.

We should go iOS thread and Mac thread (with separate ones for gaming).

Anyway, Numbers for iPad is great don't you thing? (you see, the software is for both iPads; it's also an iOS app; also on iPhones, not to mention iPod touches - but I'll only get help from people that specifically visit the iPad mini thread because I randomly chose this one).

The forms thing is great for data input and I'm trying to implement a cool spreadsheet at work. However, I'm not the best at it and I'm not figuring out properly how to make a spreadsheet with a column for date, so that the form will display/be able to choose the date of the event. You know, so I have a daily form for data input.
If you're familiar with the software you will understand, and if you can shed some light on the subject, then by all means pls halp. Been googling with no success.

I have wondered why there isn't an iOS thread.

for any sweet spot to buy a tech, the best time to buy it is really right when it comes out. Apple seems to be in a transition stage with the iPad 4 and iPad Mini IMO, so I'd wait on those. I went from selling my iPad 3 at a $100 loss to getting the iPad 4 day to retuning it for a full refund. iPad mini just makes sense when I have a laptop but the non retina is too glaring to overlook.
$100 loss isn't too bad if you enjoyed your time with it. Are you holding out for a retina mini?

So the rumour is for a March release, but how soon would we know for sure?

I need one of these to study for an exam I am taking in early June (watch videos on the go), but if it is not comming in March, I rather jump on it now. It would be my first iPad so I guess I'm not spoiled by retina, but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on that option if it is only a few months away.

I need one of these to study for an exam I am taking in early June (watch videos on the go), but if it is not comming in March, I rather jump on it now. It would be my first iPad so I guess I'm not spoiled by retina, but at the same time, I don't want to miss out on that option if it is only a few months away.

Q3 is likely, not March.

Hmm I think I'll bite then. I can get one with free engraving in the back through my job, but I think I'll pick one up from Best Buy. It says it could be ready for pick up in 3-5 days.

Why exactly would they launch a new iPad Mini in March. Aren't they still selling like hot cakes?

This is proof that they will not update the Mini until Fall.

Hmm I think I'll bite then. I can get one with free engraving in the back through my job, but I think I'll pick one up from Best Buy. It says it could be ready for pick up in 3-5 days.

I love mine more than any other tech device I own. Also, if you're in a hurry check your local Walmart for stock as well.

$100 loss isn't too bad if you enjoyed your time with it. Are you holding out for a retina mini?

Yeah, holding out for the retina mini. If I have to wait till fall for it then I will. I find having a laptop and 10" iPad to be redundant. It is possible apple releases some ultra thin redesigned 10" iPad, then I might consider that but I doubt it.

I love mine more than any other tech device I own. Also, if you're in a hurry check your local Walmart for stock as well.

Thanks for that advice! I looked around a few walmarts, but the earliest they would have it would be Wednesday of next week. Best buy had it for the same day, so I went with them (closer to home).

No turning back now. I can go pick up my case today. I'm nervous.

numble

It's unlikely to be released in March. They've just been released in China, still being scalped at above retail price in Hong Kong, and I know people who couldn't find them at Best Buy and Apple Stores in Los Angeles.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, that earnings call mentioned the mini was supply constrained every week of the quarter

Thanks for that advice! I looked around a few walmarts, but the earliest they would have it would be Wednesday of next week. Best buy had it for the same day, so I went with them (closer to home).

No turning back now. I can go pick up my case today. I'm nervous.

You;'re really going to love it. Readers like Pocket really shine on it. Also, The nature Conservancy puts out a great free magazine for newsstand.

The ipad itself is the perfect weight and thinness. I have a 4G model, and every time I use it I feel like I am using the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :)

Flek

Banned
Here are the cases - if you have qustions just go ahead:

1. theleathershop.com
Ok this is a beautiful sleeve, gorgeous quality. Realy thick and good leather and this jsut fits perfect. Honestly? This is nearly to nice to toss it in a bag and damage the leather! My favorite one!

iPfPKNIFcSQZD.jpg

imZSvTgIFHxYd.jpg

2. BookBook from tweleve south
real leather too and also great quality. But iam not to sure about the inside flap where you have to place the mini. Especially not with those push-buttons. I don't like giving so much pressure to the iPad mini…

icKYYDxcZQtF4.jpg

i9dNuGX4JJLss.jpg

iIoDAJB6s2WE9.jpg

ii2ghreNGAnsJ.jpg
(*)

3. Kavaj - iPad mini Case “Berlin” cognac
Ok honestly - this was my favorite case.

* Real leather
* PERFECT form factor
* Smart Cover Functionality (which only works 8/10 or so)
* Overall awesome design and feel.

But the point is as other customers reported those seams (?) are going to open after some month and this thing basically falls apart. Uh…

ibU7NqSjP4aqJ.jpg

it5PuXjmcc72y.jpg

ib0MxTCz7v7THk.jpg

4. Germanmade.

Basically a german dodocase remake (…). I LOVE LOVE LOVE my dodocase for iPad 1 and was very interested to see what the germanmade. is like. Unfortunately it has sooo sharp corners that i can´t use it for more than 10 minutes or else my hands would start bleeding. also unnecessarily thick wood was used + i don´t get the stand function. But at least the smartcover functionality works 100%

ibf2LY0LuUzWpx.jpg

ii397pO1N9Mrs.jpg

ibkhDgEYgje3LF.jpg

5. Kensington

Uh WOW i thought a big company like kensington would do better. The lid just flaps around - no magnets or stuff, also no smartcover functionality and NO real leather (companies call this shit "vegan leather" nowadays…)

ib0Bp35aQ7BQxW.jpg

iD60yxPxd3xcf.jpg

iTB5a4xdhY7Oa.jpg

6. Kensington again
Seriously who needs something like this? Protecting the back of the ipad but not the front?

iAA84VHqdTX7t.jpg

iK2R3uwlOq8zL.jpg

7. Wolfsrudel
Ok the last one - once again a sleeve. Quality is ok but this thing is huge in width

i3X0dyE7Yf1x0.jpg

Thats it as i said if you have any questions just go ahead :)

Chamai

Banned
bought one for my kid few weeks ago. i have to say i prefer this over our ipad3. the size is good, light weight, and it's pretty smooth.

Yoshiya

Yeah, holding out for the retina mini. If I have to wait till fall for it then I will.

Don't expect it this year. There's no way Apple are getting the fullsize iPad silicon needed to preserve current performance with the retina display into the mini's body this year. The A6 doesn't have sufficient memory bandwidth for 2048x1536.

I just hope that Apple slow down just a tad bit with the release of new gear. I did enjoy the new OS every other year and the yearly refresh of iPhones and iPads. My wallet cannot keep up at the moment...

MasLegio

Banned
so I just bought an iPad Mini that for my mother I will give to her next weekend.

Is it best, for simplicity, to set it up on its own through the wifi or should I do it through her, old, computer via iTunes?
Im not sure that iTunes will work that well on her computer as it (iTunes) is a sloggy piece of shit on older computers.

Don't expect it this year. There's no way Apple are getting the fullsize iPad silicon needed to preserve current performance with the retina display into the mini's body this year. The A6 doesn't have sufficient memory bandwidth for 2048x1536.

Because the mini is about 2 inches smaller it wouldn't need the 2048x1536 resolution to be considered a "retina" display. I would expect something a little more than 1080p would be considered a "retina" display.

A6X sure does

Yup. I have the iPad 4 and it is fast. Browsing the web and playing games are amazingly quick. This is my first iPad and I must admit I'm in love with it. I am no apple fanboy at all this is my only iOS device and I intend to keep it that way because I dislike their phones and computers.

LCfiner

Because the mini is about 2 inches smaller it wouldn't need the 2048x1536 resolution to be considered a "retina" display. I would expect something a little more than 1080p would be considered a "retina" display.

ipad mini would need to meet the same res as the regular ipad retina in order for apps to work as-is. Apple's always been careful in adding new resolutions and they put priority on keeping resolutions as 2X doubles of previous screens.

it'll be exactly the same as the retina ipad res (but at the higher ppi of the iphone 5 due to the smaller screen size)

this needs to be drilled into the head of anyone talking about iphone and ipad screen sizes and resolutions.

So was that 6 month release cycle rumor true...did we find out? New iPads in March or what?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/on-apples-ipad-5-iphone-5s-and-plastic-iphone/

Probably October

I'm thinking a "bigger iPad mini" for the 5th gen iPad (which will likely be incredibly awesome) and the iPad mini getting a processor update to the A6 but staying the same res....but I hope I'm wrong.

ipad mini would need to meet the same res as the regular ipad retina in order for apps to work as-is. Apple's always been careful in adding new resolutions and they put priority on keeping resolutions as 2X doubles of previous screens.

it'll be exactly the same as the retina ipad res (but at the higher ppi of the iphone 5 due to the smaller screen size)

this needs to be drilled into the head of anyone talking about iphone and ipad screen sizes and resolutions.

Seriously. Any sort of discussion about resolution without considering the App Store is totally useless.

Top Bottom