• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

You guys talk like the iPad 3 had some Android-like performance. It wasn't that bad.
It wasn't bad but it was no leap forward. In some cases it excelled particularly in apps that weren't retina, but for some retina apps the performance could suffer slightly. Not bad, but not a leap forward. Plus the thing could cook an iPad. Not a fan of the heat output.

Also, the fact that the A5X lasted for like 7 months doesn't speak to highly of its future. I have a feeling these A5X chips were leftovers or production throwaways that are finding a new home exclusively in the new Apple TV. But honestly, I have no knowledge of the situation so who knows if that's a load or not.

Anyone heard of the mini locking up on update day?

Last Wednesday at lunchtime my ipad mini froze to the point where the screen did not work but all buttons did. I could take photos, bring up siri (no internet at the time so unavailable) and turn volume up and down and so on but nothing from any touch aspect.

Had to go to recovery mode and then it suddenly snapped out of it.

Cue this afternoon and same thing happened but this time it's been more than 8 hours and no change. I've tried the usual reboot, wiped and updated, restored from backup but at no point did touch come back.

I've gotta waste part of my day off tomorrow now at the genius bar. This is my first ipad but I've not heard of anything this severe before.

SteveWD40

So here's a question:

Got a mini not long ago, would only charge to 90% on the wall socket then stop, if I unplugged the socket and plugged it back in it would then carry on to 100%.

Google tells me this is common with the micro (iphone) adaptors the mini ships with and to use a 10w, Apple genius bar guy slips me one "under the counter" as he says that officially the micro should be fine.

Anyone else have this? is it safe to use the 10w with a mini since they are not shipped with it?

DarkFlow

Banned
So here's a question:

Got a mini not long ago, would only charge to 90% on the wall socket then stop, if I unplugged the socket and plugged it back in it would then carry on to 100%.

Google tells me this is common with the micro (iphone) adaptors the mini ships with and to use a 10w, Apple genius bar guy slips me one "under the counter" as he says that officially the micro should be fine.

Anyone else have this? is it safe to use the 10w with a mini since they are not shipped with it?
It's fine to use, apple just got cheap with the pack in charger.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
WooHoo!Finally made a case for my mini. tTRuly the greatest computer ive ever used.
ibweHextH1vCNM.JPG

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Wife got one today. I hate it. Going from my 3rd gen to the Mini is jarring and uncomfortable and the weight advantage doesn't come close to making up for that.

For me, the perfect iPad will be when they get the weight down on the full sized model.

Wife got one today. I hate it. Going from my 3rd gen to the Mini is jarring and uncomfortable and the weight advantage doesn't come close to making up for that.

For me, the perfect iPad will be when they get the weight down on the full sized model.

I have a 3rd gen and I love the mini that my mom has. Granted the screen res is bothersome but I would not say its uncomfortable. I actually really enjoy the form factor.

edit: true story she came home with a Nexus 7 played with it for like an hour and wanted to return it. that thing was shit.

FStop7

Banned
I sold my MB Air 11 and replaced it with a 16 gig Verizon Mini. I like it better than the full sized iPad. It's easier for me to type in landscape mode and the compact size and weight are awesome. I still have an MB Pro 17 for the heavy lifting but I'm hoping to replace it with a Surface Pro once the pressure sensitivity issues in Photoshop get straightened out. I had an iPad 1 and 3 and they just didn't work for me. The composition of the web has changed enough to where the iPad works a lot better, which really made a huge difference. That's what drove me away from the original iPad. I flat out didn't like the weight of the iPad 3. The mini feels like a Star Trek PADD to me, or at least what I imagined it to be like.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty into this music.google.com on my iPad and lte. It's a helluva lot better than iTunes.

Majine

Banned
I'm not quite sure how to hold my Mini yet. the one hand grip from the back isn't very comfortable. It usually ends up me holding it like I did with the big size iPad, with two hands, and it makes me feel like a giant.

DonDraper

Banned
So I've been thinking of maybe selling my Transformer Prime and picking up the Mini. I mainly use the Prime for Comixology comic reading, videos, and web surfing. I used to think its size was great. But after having played around with the Mini for a bit the Mini just seems more... I dunno... convenient to hold and use.

I don't know. I think I'm kinda torn. The Prime is a nice piece of hardware, but the Mini, I dunno. There is just something about it in my short time playing around with it.

Anyone here go from a 10" Android tablet down to the Mini? Any stories would be greatly appreciated to help me decide what I'd want to do. Also, how is reading comics on the Mini?

TaeOH

So I've been thinking of maybe selling my Transformer Prime and picking up the Mini. I mainly use the Prime for Comixology comic reading, videos, and web surfing. I used to think its size was great. But after having played around with the Mini for a bit the Mini just seems more... I dunno... convenient to hold and use.

I don't know. I think I'm kinda torn. The Prime is a nice piece of hardware, but the Mini, I dunno. There is just something about it in my short time playing around with it.

Anyone here go from a 10" Android tablet down to the Mini? Any stories would be greatly appreciated to help me decide what I'd want to do. Also, how is reading comics on the Mini?

IMO, size is more important. I have a Nexus 7, my wife has an iPad. I love the Nexus but really wish I got the 10.

Blackhead

Redarse
So the iPad mini has been out for a while now and I'm a bit curious:
  • Do you often take the iPad mini (3G?) out with you?
  • How do you usually carry it?
  • What other devices do you typically have on you?
  • And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?

DonDraper

Banned
IMO, size is more important. I have a Nexus 7, my wife has an iPad. I love the Nexus but really wish I got the 10.

That's what I would think too. I hate the size of the 7, but feel the slightly larger mini size is an improvement. I dunno. I think I'm just trying to justify dumping the Prime for the mini.

TaeOH

That's what I would think too. I hate the size of the 7, but feel the slightly larger mini size is an improvement. I dunno. I think I'm just trying to justify dumping the Prime for the mini.

I'd go for an iPad 2 over a mini, the screen size is worth the jump and the mini is overpriced IMO.

FStop7

Banned
  • And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?

I take mine to work and when I go somewhere overnight.

In a messenger bag

iPhone

I like it a lot better than the full size iPad

This is my first LTE device, it's amazing how fast it is with a decent signal.

Let's say the next iPad mini is a mm or so thicker and just a tiny bit heavier and the next iPad is slimmer, smaller bezels and lighter...which do you go for?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

I take my the mini with me nearly every time I leave the house, unless I'm jogging or what have you. The LTE is a life changer, I'm getting rid of my 4S and am going to carry around an 8600 luna with a prepaid sim.

I carry it at my side like a book inside a very minimalist case, or in my backpack if I'm riding my bike.

The only other devices I have are my iPhone and occasionally a minidisc player.

Its my second tablet, the first was an iPad3 and its a radically different experience. The iPad3 never left my bedroom because it was too big, too heavy, too attention grabbing, and just all around cumbersome to use. You could barely type on the thing.

TxdoHawk

Do you often take the iPad mini (3G?) out with you?
Fairly often. More than my iPad 3, that's for sure.

How do you usually carry it?
I have a basic Timbuk2 sleeve I keep it in. Normally I just toss it in my car, take it into the diner or whereever I'm going to, and carry it in.

What other devices do you typically have on you?
Galaxy Nexus. Verizon unlimited 4G + FoxFi for tethering = no need for an LTE iPad.

And, if this isn't your first tablet, does it provide a different portable experience?

Definitely. Old iPads feel like bricks by comparison. I never thought I'd want a smaller tablet, but the Mini form factor is the perfect size for most use cases, IMO, and the difference in weight is unreal. The new casing is gorgeous, too....makes the Mini feel and look far more expensive than it actually is.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Right now I ony own Sonys. I have seen a Panasonic that I kinda liked though. I still have a ways to go before my collection is complete.

Blastoise

Banned
I know this has been asked plenty of times in regards to the screen resolution. But could or has the iPad mini replaced your kindle for reading books?

coldfoot

Banned
I used to have an iPad and had given up on tablets.
Until I got an iPad mini. I'm surprised how often I end up using it due to how small and light it is.
Any tablet heavier than a mini isn't worth getting it over a laptop.

Aiii

So not worth it
Until I got an iPad mini. I'm surprised how often I end up using it due to how small and light it is.

I disagree, ever since the first iPad came out my home-laptop has become a device for downloading stuff and occassionally doing some photoshop/typing. Though the latter I would be able to do on a tablet by getting a keyboard for it I guess.

Any browsing, reading, and various other apps have all been moved to my iPad since then.

I agree the Mini is a superior device to a regular sized iPad (except for the screen, which they should correct at some point in the future), but I would never pick a laptop over a tablet for daily use like browsing, e-mail, reading, etc.

coldfoot

Banned
I disagree, ever since the first iPad came out my home-laptop has become a device for downloading stuff and occassionally doing some photoshop/typing. Though the latter I would be able to do on a tablet by getting a keyboard for it I guess.

Any browsing, reading, and various other apps have all been moved to my iPad since then.

I agree the Mini is a superior device to a regular sized iPad (except for the screen, which they should correct at some point in the future), but I would never pick a laptop over a tablet for daily use like browsing, e-mail, reading, etc.

I would use a small notebook such as a 11" Macbook Air (or a PC alternative with a much better screen) over an iPad, because the iPad is too heavy to hold like a tablet anyway so it's not any more uncomfortable than using a small ultrabook.

The mini however, is the first tablet that I can use as a proper tablet just by holding in my hand without any accessories, so that's why it beats both.

Mogwai

I'm pretty excited to see how Apple will deal with the Retina screen for the mini 2. A better screen requires some more juice, so perhaps the battery could add some weight to the device? On the contrary, there are not the big differences between iPad 2 og the Retina versions.

The battery time has always been a key feature of the iPads, but now the weight seems to be a just as huge USP on the mini series.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
What's weird is that there's been no event from Apple this year so far. Usually there's on in either January or March (around my birthday).

Aiii

So not worth it
Don't think Apple will introduce a new iPad until October, so the traditional iPad cycle in March will probably not come this year.

Unless they plan on unveiling the iWatch soon.

Saw a guy using the mini while I was on the way to hockey game on public transit. People using big iPads like me just look silly now.

Wrote a paper on the iPad mini this weekend. I survived. It's not that bad actually. I feel like I'm about 50-60% on the mini in terms of typing speed compared to a keyboard.

we already don't know which one to go for - that'd just make a difficult decision even harder

I really hope they could keep with the same thinness and weight. I'd rather stick with a non-retina screen for the next update and just use a different lamination technique (on the glass or something) and an A6 and keep the same profile. I love the current form factor of the iPad mini too much to give that up.

I know this has been asked plenty of times in regards to the screen resolution. But could or has the iPad mini replaced your kindle for reading books?

I do my reading on the iPad mini and am totally cool with it, but if you plan on reading outdoors go with a kindle.

Blackhead

Redarse
we already don't know which one to go for - that'd just make a difficult decision even harder
The only advantages of the Mini are the weight and thickness (and the price) so if anything a redesign would only make the decision easier in favor of the 'real' iPad.
Saw a guy using the mini while I was on the way to hockey game on public transit. People using big iPads like me just look silly now.
Oh hey, LaughingStock, I'm pretty sure your iPad isn't the reason you look silly...

This isn't the right thread but my post from the other iPad thread.

iPad 4 32GB LTE black sealed for $600.

Good deal? Should I pull the trigger? I already have a leather smart case and a Belkin back shell from my iPad 2. So I'm all set once I buy it.

Even when the new one comes out, I think I will be able to make most of the money back by selling this, right? Cuz I do plan to upgrade it when the newer ones are out.

Blackhead

Redarse
This isn't the right thread but my post from the other iPad thread.

iPad 4 32GB LTE black sealed for $600.

Good deal? Should I pull the trigger? I already have a leather smart case and a Belkin back shell from my iPad 2. So I'm all set once I buy it.

Even when the new one comes out, I think I will be able to make most of the money back by selling this, right? Cuz I do plan to upgrade it when the newer ones are out.
Doesn't it seem iPad resale prices are now dropping pretty fast though? You're getting this iPad for a steal at $600 but do you think you'll recoup that when the next one comes out? And it's not like the Apple's MSRP is coming down in tandem. You might only get offers of $500 when you're ready to sell and not have enough for a new iPad 5

Doesn't it seem iPad resale prices are now dropping pretty fast though? You're getting this iPad for a steal at $600 but do you think you'll recoup that when the next one comes out? And it's not like the Apple's MSRP is coming down in tandem. You might only get offers of $500 when you're ready to sell and not have enough for a new iPad 5

Oh yeah, I think getting $500 back for a $600 investment isn't as bad as paying $730+Tax.

I keep upgrading these stuff all the time, just wondering if I should pull the trigger this late in the cycle.

Still rocking a 32GB iPad 1. So tempted to just grab a mini now because I am tired of the constant crashes in Safari, but with a new mini potentially coming in April I am trying to hold off.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh yeah, I think getting $500 back for a $600 investment isn't as bad as paying $730+Tax.

I keep upgrading these stuff all the time, just wondering if I should pull the trigger this late in the cycle.

Well you said you'll get the a new iPad 5 anyway so'll you pay that $730+ at some point. You can either interprete buying one now as renting an iPad for $100 til the next one comes out or as a waste of money effectively bumping up the price of the next one to $830+.

SRTtoZ

It's amazing how many people can't deal with a non-retina display now. It's like having to look at one is worse than having their eyeballs gouged out with hot pokers. How did they ever get by before the iPhone 4 came out?

Its like using Fios Quantum internet and then going back to Verizon DSL. Can I do it? Sure, but do I want to? No way.

When the mini gets a retina (which SHOULD be the next iteration, hopefully), ill be ALL in. For now, my 4 does the job perfectly.

golem

I just picked up a mini recently actually.. it really makes my 1st get iPad feel like an ancient clunker. I do miss the retina on my phone though, will be upgrading it as soon as Apple updates the screen.

I just picked up a mini recently actually.. it really makes my 1st get iPad feel like an ancient clunker. I do miss the retina on my phone though, will be upgrading it as soon as Apple updates the screen.
I wanted to wait for retina, but my iPad 1 was pissing me off for months. Posting from a new white mini and LOVE it. Perfect size and so much faster than the first gen.

Top Bottom