• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad Mini

TaeOH

Got my daughter the Mini for her birthday, she says it is the best gift she ever got.

I have to say, my Nexus really does not hold a candle to it. It is so thin and battery life is amazing. I like my Nexus 7, especially for its price, but Apple Mini is a much nicer gadget.

I am also extremely happy I got it for $299 at Target, the price I thought it should have come out at initially.

Blackhead

Redarse
The reviews are good but

*shrug*

The Wirecutter said:
If you own an iPad mini and are thinking about getting a keyboard case, just don't.

You'll look like an idiot trying to type on one. The mini is designed for consumption. Yeah, you can do a little bit of work on one (I use mine to sort out projects in OmniFocus and some light email,) but typing on a keyboard built into a cover of a case with the same dimensions as a 7.87" x 5.3" tablet ? C'mon. There's no way that it'll be able to speed up your typing. Get an external keyboard if you must. Or better yet, wait until you're in front of your computer to work.

I think I read one other review that came to a similar conclusion but the majority have been overwhelmingly positive. I see no need to buy one unless you're going to use it to get a bit of work done on the go. This will suffice for note-taking and some of the freelance work that I need to get done. I don't expect my iPad Mini to turn magically into a fully functioning laptop.

I have TWO coming in today. I ordered from both Logitech and Apple. They both shipped earlier than expected.

Just received it. Typing on the device definitely takes a bit of getting used to. The small size of the shift keys and the delete key are the most jarring. I adapted fairly quickly though and could see myself using the keyboard quite a bit. On the whole, it doesn't feel quite as cramped as I would have imagined. If the delete key and shift keys were a slight bit larger I think it would be perfect. Typing is absolutely faster than using the on screen keyboard and I think I can get some production out of this device.

Flek

Banned
i just got a type thingy from kensington in the mail for review - i could post pics / impressions if you guys are interested !?

EDIT.: ok just tried it i like the fact that it has a bluetooth keyboard with magnets that you could remove and use for whatever you want.
Iam just typing on my mini with the keybord on my knees and the mini on the edge of the couch. also the case makes a really good stand iam a bit impressed here because i didnt like kensingtons other ipad mini stuff at all (check for my overview a few pages back)

also the function buttons are nice:
home button
lock button
search ipad
play / skip /
paste and copy (??)
voll off / voll up / down

MRORANGE

I think the main problem with Ipad mini keyboards is they try and incorporate it into the ipad case design and it's just too cramped, they should try and think of a foldable keybord that holds the ipad mini, something like this:

8Dt69Oe.jpg

deim0s

still rocking on a 1st gen iPad, thinking of picking up an iPad Mini.

Worth it or should i wait it out? Worried that Apple might spurt one out tomorrow.

Guess Who

Banned

Worth it or should i wait it out? Worried that Apple might spurt one out tomorrow.

Don't expect a new Mini until this fall. Any of the iPad models they're selling now would be a substantial upgrade over the first-gen.

You're in a tough spot. The Mini is probably a big step up from your first gen iPad, but compared to other hardware out there, the first gen Mini is still stuck in 2011 (especially with the 512 MB RAM). As hard as it might me, I'd wait for the refresh this fall.

deim0s

Thanks for the suggestions, tough one indeed. I've decided to pull the trigger and bought one - it's really a big improvement over the old clunker!

Five months (or even X'mas) is not a bad time to replace this sleek black loveliness as a backup. Need that retina screen.

Husker86

Since I switched to Net10 for Nexus 4 prepaid goodness I have noticed that I missed having LTE in my life. Got a 32GB ipad mini with Verizon LTE for $409 on eBay from a company that sells refurbished ones. Now I can tether when I go on vacations! It's pretty good (I've had an iPad 1 and 3 in the past) but oh man, I don't care what anyone says, this resolution hurts. It's going to serve me well though. Form factor is the best for a tablet.

picked up a mini recently due to having a 50 gift card and the price drop to 300.

What's a good case? Pretty much want one that can do the stand thing and is also light, also one that you can pop out of with ease.

UberTag

Feeling the tablet itch recently more than I have at any point up until now.
Haven't owned one thus far... been sticking with my laptop and non-iOS smartphone (okay, it's a Windows Phone; don't laugh).

Giving strong consideration towards foregoing a new console purchase this fall when the PS4 & Durango hit and instead allocating the funds towards a Mini with Retina.
No reason I can't hold out on next-gen for another year with the backlog I've got stockpiled.

Omiee

Gaf i want to edit excel sheets on my ipad mini in offline mode, which app should i download?

i cant get google drive to work.

Husker86

Gaf i want to edit excel sheets on my ipad mini in offline mode, which app should i download?

i cant get google drive to work.

When you click on the arrow next to your document in Google Drive you can turn on "Available Offline". That doesn't work?

Does anyone know of an easy, and a free, way to update and install apps on multiple ipad (minis)? Something for a classroom or seminar that would put the new and updated apps on all the tablets without physically having to handle and log onto each, if possible?

Husker86

Does anyone know of an easy, and a free, way to update and install apps on multiple ipad (minis)? Something for a classroom or seminar that would put the new and updated apps on all the tablets without physically having to handle and log onto each, if possible?

There is no auto update mechanism in iOS. Not even iTunes could do it if you somehow could get all iPads plugged into a USB hub or something.

The only route I can think of is Jailbreaking, but even then, I don't know if there is a tweak that can enable that function.

On the plus side, you no longer have to enter the iTunes password to update apps.

The reviews are good but all of them say the same thing about the keyboard being cramped. I think it's a good option for when I need to complete a long typing assignment on the go.

It has been impossible to find in Canada too. Most retailers are not carrying it yet and the Apple Store is backed up to 1-2 weeks shipping. Went into an Apple Store and they've been getting tons of requests for them.

I think it looks good:

Logitech-Ultrathink-Keyboard-Cover-for-iPad-mini-1.jpg

How are there 6 apps on that dock

sikkinixx

Pretty sure OS X Server apps allow you to do that kind of thing, mass install apps/settings on iOS device.

Pretty sure OS X Server apps allow you to do that kind of thing, mass install apps/settings on iOS device.

Thanks, I'm not very familiar with Apple products, I'll check it out.

edit:
Apple Configurator makes it easy for anyone to mass configure and deploy iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in a school, business, or institution.
I think this will work. Just modified a couple of search terms and this was the second or third result. Thanks again, I believe this will work.

Husker86

Thanks, I'm not very familiar with Apple products, I'll check it out.

edit:

I think this will work. Just modified a couple of search terms and this was the second or third result. Thanks again, I believe this will work.
I stand corrected!
I should have known Apple would have something in place like that, considering how prevalent iOS is in business.

There doesn't seem to be an iPad OT (or I can't find it if there is)

Anyway, I need to grab one for class and while the form factor of the mini is enticing, I'm thinking the 4 would be more in line with my needs atm. It's gonna be used for reading textbooks + lecture notes. Don't really care for media since I hate watching shit on transport and my phone is doing music. Can anyone comment on how well the Mini does strictly as a study aid? I don't want to be pinching/zooming/sliding just to get through each page.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There doesn't seem to be an iPad OT (or I can't find it if there is)

Anyway, I need to grab one for class and while the form factor of the mini is enticing, I'm thinking the 4 would be more in line with my needs atm. It's gonna be used for reading textbooks + lecture notes. Don't really care for media since I hate watching shit on transport and my phone is doing music. Can anyone comment on how well the Mini does strictly as a study aid? I don't want to be pinching/zooming/sliding just to get through each page.
It's not that much smaller unless you have really bad eyes. The resolution might bug you if you have really good eyes though.

IMHO, the 10" is way too big now. The 7" is so much more portable.

Sanic

Just bought one, because I didn't have a tablet and thought, "why not?". The limited ram is getting to me, I can't keep several gaf tabs open and view a twitch stream without them getting flushed. Did anyone perhaps switch from an ipad 2/mini to a 3/4 or android tablet and could comment on the helpfulness of the extra ram? Might have to consider the jump if I can actually keep some tabs open after switching to another app.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm looking to finally grab an iPad but I can't really decide which would be better served, the mini or the 4. I like the size factor of the mini, but I'll be doing quite a bit on it so I'm thinking the power of the 4 might be better. Anyone with the mini having problems with it keeping up?

sruckus

No performance issues to speak of, but the tab issue above is real. Can definitely open more up on my iPhone 5.

I'm waiting in anticipation for a retina mini with more RAM and an A6.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, RAM is an issue, but only really noticable (at least for me) when loading webpages (or apps that leech websites, like Tumblr, Facebook apps, etc.). Safari crashes quite a bit, esp. when on GAF with loads of gifs for instance.

Compared to my iPad 3 it's very noticable.

However, that and not having retina are the only drawbacks of a mini over a large iPad. I prefer the Mini in every way and the drawbacks I can live with until the next Mini comes out.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't have any problems with my Mini. I love it. No problems with speed and memory doesn't bother me. And the size totally makes up for its lacks. I can't go back to a 10" model now. It's 8" from now on.

That's what she said.

Blackhead

Redarse
I made a request and D4Danger delivered. No jailbreak required. You'd have to use the full site not the mobile site (Imo the full site is readable in the iPhone's landscape FullScreen mode) so it's probably more useful for the iPad...

Really all I want is out of GAF is autopaging... I love not having to click "next page

D4Danger said:
this bookmarklet works if I paste it into my desktop browsers

Code:
javascript:(function(){var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="http://userscripts.org/scripts/source/78817.user.js";document.body.appendChild(s)}());

I don't know how you go about getting that onto a phone (just copy and paste?) but see if that works.

Karish

Had a chance to get a 32GB iPad Mini with AT&T and a logitech keyboard cover for $350. I currently have an ipad 3 wi-fi 16gb model. I really hate not having retina but I feel like the deal on the mini is too good. Should I take it or wait for Retina Mini/iPad 5?

Aiii

So not worth it
Had a chance to get a 32GB iPad Mini with AT&T and a logitech keyboard cover for $350. I currently have an ipad 3 wi-fi 16gb model. I really hate not having retina but I feel like the deal on the mini is too good. Should I take it or wait for Retina Mini/iPad 5?

For what it's worth: I have barely touched my iPad 3 since I got the Mini. Aside from watching some Netflix in bed.

Karish

I just got an ipad mini with case off craigslist for $250. Coming from an ipad 3 the non retina sucks but the form factor is irresistible! Cannot wait until we get the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom