• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jungle Book Superbowl Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Voice acting seems pretty bad.

Its always the worst idea to use big name actors in animated films. Especially with recognizable voices.

Shere Elba completely snapped me back to reality.
Eh most major animation studios almost always hire well known actors/actresses. Pixar generally makes it a point not to advertise it though with the exception of Inside Out I think.

Eh most major animation studios almost always hire well known actors/actresses. Pixar generally makes it a point not to advertise it though with the exception of Inside Out I think.

Yeah, but usually its not too much of a problem if the character design fits the actor eg Joy or Wreck it Ralph

Here it feels almost uncanny valley. Near photorealistic tiger with Idris Elbas voice feel almost lazy

Eh, not doing it for me. Most of the charm for JB with me is the songs and it looks like they stripped it out for an action movie with some jokes? I don't know much about the film though, just basing off this trailer.

The voices ruin it for me.
tumblr_inline_o1f8dm5MUk1tuc295_500.gif

.Yeah, in hindsight, the other movie has far better casting.

Isn't there another Jungle Book movie coming out next year with Cumberbatch in it?

I wonder if this film steals all its thunder...
This movie comes out first. Parents might not want to take their kids to see the same film twice in the space of about a year and a half. The Andy Serkis movie is also going to be about the book.

Oddly enough the other one features a female Kaa too.

Korey

Love the bare necessities remix.

The voices feel really disconnected from the animals though. Like ScarJo for example.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I think Benedict will be a better sounding Sher Khan than Idris

Comments on voices:

1. Kaa seems fine. I like that they cast a voice like this, because they aren't going to outdo the original in terms of what the original was trying to do, and I don't think that they should just cast Jim Cummings and do it again. It also makes for a nice fakeout - motherly, but sinister.

2. Perfectly happy with Walken as King Louie.

3. Idris Elba is great for Shere Khan, BUT, they need to make sure he does him as a smart, gentlemanly, arrogant character. He doesn't have to be 1:1 to the original, but Shere Khan is one of my favourite villains because most Disney villains aren't like him.

4. Bill Murray is perfect as Baloo.

5. Kingsley is fine as Bagheera, but I was the least interested in his performance and role than the rest.

6. Not voice, but the actor who plays Mowgli seems like a good pick.

I agree, the voices ruined it somewhat. Really didn't like Kaa.

King Lou should have been voiced by someone like Wendell Pierce, Walken just sounds odd considering I'm used to the cartoon.

I just watched life of Pi again, going from the CG in that film to seeing this is quite jarring. I know they could just put all of the work into one animal in that film, but this looks bad in comparison.

Eh, not doing it for me. Most of the charm for JB with me is the songs and it looks like they stripped it out for an action movie with some jokes? I don't know much about the film though, just basing off this trailer.
The songs are in it. In fact the living Sherman brother is writing new ones for it.

MrV4ltor

Lady Gaga would've been a better Kaa, sorry not sorry.

A modern adaptation of the classic Disney's Jungle Book that has talking animals...why would I expect it to be realistic?

I didn't mean realistic literally. I just didn't expect a big panther or an orangutan to have a voice like... that. The glove just doesn't fit.

The Kree

Banned
I agree that the voices don't feel quite right, but maybe after you've spent a few minutes with the characters in the full film they'll settle in.

Alienous

You'd think the performances would be better considering the amount of effort being put into the visuals.

0 enthusiasm everywhere.

I agree that the voices don't feel quite right, but maybe after you've spent a few minutes with the characters in the full film they'll settle in.
Yeah I think it'll sound better when we can actually see the animals talking instead of voiceovers to random scenes like they're being narrated.

I guess they went for recognizable voices instead of fitting voices. Still, the movie looks fantastic and I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Phu

Banned
People complaining 'bout the voices probably never even heard a big snake speak English before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alienfan

To be honest the Winnie the Pooh sounding snake in the original wasn't any better than Johansson, and I actually think the rest of the cast (minus walken) sound the part :)

The Kree

Banned
People complaining 'bout the voices probably never even heard a big snake speak English before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's just weird that it's clearly and obviously Scarlett Johansson and not someone trying to do a slimy snake-like voicccccce or something.

Dabanton

The voices sounded weird like they were too loud almost.

I need to see what they sound like without bombastic music over them

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
lol doesn't look bad i guess but damn Louie is a fucking monster. Like... could pick up Kahn and just rip his limbs off if he wanted....

The Wall

Banned
Digging it. Confused about Scar-Jo though.

Not saying she isn't talented, but I feel like she gets put in almost... too much these days, just for the name recognition.

I am also in agreement over having Princess Mononoke-style talking animals. I think it would have made it come across in a less cartoon-ish way, and more of a "he can understand animals, we're just getting the animal-to-English translation" way, for our sake, because we're not Mowgli.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom