• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jungle Book Superbowl Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Everything looks real awesome, except the voices. Wow none of them seem to fit at all. Like they were all chosen for name recognition rather than actually portraying the characters the best.

I just want the (*Mowgli X Shere Khan encounter spoiler*)
scene where Mowgli threatens to beat Shere Khan and calls him a dog after whacking him with a flaming stick. Powerful dialog in the book.

Also (*ending spoilers*)
did they spoil the ending in the trailer?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Looks very cool. Loved the cartoon as a kid so I have high hopes for this.

Tagg9

Honestly, the only voices that fit are Shere Khan (Idris Elba) and Bagheera (Ben Kingsley).

I positively hate ScarJo as Kaa, and Bill Murray makes for an awful Baloo. Hell, even King Louie is miscast with fucking Christopher Walken.

this honestly looks like crap imo but i'm there for the music and a great choice for baloo and shere khan.

when's beauty and the beast coming so we can get out of this garbage live action cartoon ghetto.

Come on Disney, hurry up and get all these live action adaptions out of the way so you can set up the Kingdom Hearts universe already.

Ultimadrago

Honestly, it looks and sounds pretty crappy. Perhaps the voice mixing was just different for the trailer, but it sounds off.

RDreamer

Why do people dislike ScarJo so much for Kaa? Is it because she's not right for the role, or because Cummings is such a defining actor for the role?

She sounds bored.

I mean there is a bit of a problem with the original voice actors all being pretty defining, but still... these didn't really sound that good.

why the hell is King Louie that massive? Forget the tiger, there's a goddamn 3 ton ape running amok in that jungle.

Because orangutans are not indigenous to the region, they changed him into a gigantopithecus to be more accurate (I guess he's supposed to be the last one... or something?).

Why they're worrying about that kind of accuracy in a talking animal movie, I'll never know, especially since 99.9% of people would never question the presence of an orangutan anyway.

Why do people dislike ScarJo so much for Kaa? Is it because she's not right for the role, or because Cummings is such a defining actor for the role?

I liked the casting, but based off of what little we've heard her performance is... Off. Almost bland even. I expected a bit more from her. :\

The CGI keeps pulling me out of enjoying it as much as I think I should :-/

It really does. It's all very, very noticeable.

Because orangutans are not indigenous to the reason, they changed him into a gigantopithecus to be more accurate (I guess he's supposed to be the last one... or something?).

Why they're worrying about that kind of accuracy in a talking animal movie, I'll never know, especially since 99.9% of people would never question the presence of an orangutan anyway.

Haha this is a strange reason, wasn't expecting that.

Fair enough on the ScarJo responses, though I don't entirely agree.

That said, there's nothing weird about talking animals conceptually - it's evident that they're not really speaking English, we're just having translated to English what they are trying to communicate to Mowgli and from Mowgli's POV.

Tagg9

Her voice simply does not fit a cunning and deceitful reptile. I was never a big fan of Jim Cummings in the role either because he used the same voice as Winnie the Pooh (I realize Jungle Book came out first).

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Why is the CGI so underwhelming too?

I mean, The Life of Pi tiger (and lion in Narnia) look much better than what is displayed here.

The Lamp

Why does that tiger care so much if one kid is allowed to run around the jungle? I have almost zero recollection of the original movie beyond a couple songs.

He could grow up to be the ultimate predator: man, who has the power to wield fire.

Her voice simply does not fit a cunning and deceitful reptile. I was never a big fan of Jim Cummings in the role either because he used the same voice as Winnie the Pooh (I realize Jungle Book came out first).

To me, Kaa is at her/his most cunning because of that. ScarJo's performance makes Kaa seem like a motherly type, but as someone else said, you can sense subtle danger when she tells Mowgli that he can trust her. And with Cummings it works for me because his Kaa is soothing, relaxed.

Cinderella did not have talking animals.

Also, why does the snake have a plain woman's voice? I thought he was a more unique character when he had a zany, hissing man's voice.

It's a more realistic take. Even subtle stuff like Shere Khan's hubris which while not cartoony it felt "not real", Elba takes a different approach and makes it feel more real as to what a character of that type would do. Here, no actor - no good actor - is going to try to replicate Cummings because Cummings' involvement was a product of the kind of movie they were making. Instead of trying to lull people with his soft, strange hissing voice, Kaa is now lulling people with her soft, motherly voice.

Why is the CGI so underwhelming too?

I mean, The Life of Pi tiger (and lion in Narnia) look much better than what is displayed here.

The production company that made the life of pi tiger went broke doing so because they put so much work into it (and studios won't pay more than X amount for CGI because X is "what CGI costs"). And that was just one animal for most of the time. This is a lot more and being made by a company that doesn't want to go broke.

Aslan doesn't look better. It just looked miraculous for the time.

Oersted

I don't know what is more sad. That the Disney version is considered the original one or that the most famous story from India is by a british colonialist.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
May not be completely finished? Only when mowgli was with Bagheera and Balloo did it look real bad to me.

All the tiger scenes are underwhelming to my eyes, but like you mention, there's still time to improve.

The voices ruin it for me.
tumblr_inline_o1f8dm5MUk1tuc295_500.gif

Same here.

I was getting super hyped until I heard the voices... the voices sound like something out of Ice Age or some other mediocre talking animal 3D movie.

...but I'll still be there day one. Or maybe day three.

IHaveIce

Banned
Woah our German dub seems to be way more fitting than your english voices.

Also was no real surprise with Kaa as a female, she was always female to me

i'm fine with Kaa being female, but not scarlett. Eva Green would have killed it.

the other one being made by Serkis has a much better choice in Cate Blanchett. She'll be appropriately creepy.

if you mixed both casts you'd get some great choices. but man it looks like shiiiiit. i shudder thinking what the cheaper WB one will look like. unless WETA goes ham on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom