• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

Been running Zarina's full team and having a blast, Bandeiras is more than pulling his own weight compared to before. So fun and strong now, there are some new tricks I want to try with him next time.

Nelson's buffs are also paying in spades. His chains track opponents if they switch sides on him mid chain and this has been super helpful with his command dash buff. Yesterday I did a dash and the opponent neutral jumped so Nelson went under him and then tracked him backwards with a leaping overhead finisher from behind. Looks really cool in action. The buffs to his normals are really helpful as well. I will try him with raw activation next, he should be pretty dangerous with it now.

Zarina is mostly the same so nothing much to report there, her jump arc is better now and she got a slight damage boost with her supers but other than that she still kicks a lot of ass like before and I often use her as anchor. If you played her before then there isn't anything to learn or relearn aside from adjusting to the less floaty jump.

Angel's unblockable chain finisher buff is pretty damn sweet and makes her block strings way more dangerous now. Previously it would hit for some meh damage and that was it, now the unblockable lets her juggle with specials and supers anywhere on the screen. Was nailing people pretty bad with it yesterday.

Sylvie got a serious damage buff and combined with the quick max buff I feel like she is a beast now. I will be running her full team today, all of them have some new stuff and changes (Mian got a damage boost and improved normals and moves, Kukri had some changes to his moves and throws and has a legit cross up now).

Antonov has a new anti-fireball tool and it is glorious, also has an OTG DM now. Meitenkun's EX lung punch also nullifies fireballs now. Basically lots of characters got some new anti-fireball tools.

Ryo's buff of being able to hit with a cr. C after hiting with dp+A against an airborne opponent seems to be gone? If it is then it is probably due to his new anywhere juggle move I'm guessing, he would have been able to bypass into it from the cr. C.

Muimui has a better 1 bar max combo now thanks to her EX headbutt buff.

Reynald and a bunch of other people are posting her stuff on twitter and her combos look so sick.

BadWolf

Beckx

Consolidating Juicebox's thoughts on the new characters from Twitter:

Can't comment on Whip yet, I'll be learning her today.

Vanessa - A frustrating speed/mixup character. Doesn't have any super solid neutral so let's see if her dmg is worth it in 1st/2nd slot. Once we get past the "OMG new characters" phase let's see if anyone is actually going to anchor Vanessa to go for stun combos. I doubt it

Yamazaki - Weak on wakeup but high damage potential and a Billy-esque defensive style. Could end up anywhere on a tier list, hard to place.

Rock - solid but doesn't really threaten to dethrone characters like Kyo/Iori, I feel like Terry does almost everything better

yella

Consolidating Juicebox's thoughts on the new characters from Twitter:

Interesting comments. I watched some of his training with Vanessa last night and he certainly is thorough in how he works on a character. At first, I was gonna disagree with a lot of his assessment, but looking at how I've seen these characters played (won't be able to judge for myself until I get home tonight), he's mostly right on the money. For me, though, Vanessa and Yamazaki have been my mains in every KOF that they were included in, and that's not going to change now.

Mr. X

Moving around online is so sticky. Hate delay.

I need to find a guide for Kim and Geese. I need to figure want to do. My team is Geese/Kim/Van.

Amedo310

Rock's break can easily done by holding AB down as soon as RT and CMD grab are inputted in and until the break happens. The buffer window is forgiving.

Finally got time to try the net patch and DLC and I've discovered two things:

I suck big time at using Vanessa and Rock

Dino has invincibility frames out of the ass now. His C Zetsu Metsu Hurricane can tank pretty much anything on the game and his Max Assault Raptor is completely invulnerable now.

Man, I love how Yamazaki now has a poison mechanic. That's such a cool addition to the character and his playstyle. He's a definite main.

I'm now in love with Sylvie. The buffs she got last patch were already pretty good, but now she got even better. That EX Dischar-Jing buff is so good. It allows for more damaging MAX mode combos, as well as a tricky reset in MAX mode. Sylvie on anchor is dangerous with her new buffs.

I'm also in love with Tung. That run speed buff is a big boon for him, as it was the thing I thought he was really lacking. His range is still stubby, but he can now close the distance in order to make use of his moves. Yamazaki/Tung/Sylvie is the team I see myself using and sticking to--they're all really solid characters, and can be put on any position. It's weird...I typically like playing as big bodies, but I rarely stick with big bodies in KOF. If KOF XIV adds Raiden as DLC, that may change--I loved using him in XIII.

Beckx

Not being disrespectful or anything, just saying that early impressions like this are rarely accurate.

And thanks, I'll tune in.

heh. i didn't get to watch much of the stream, but i just saw his latest conclusions:

Okay so I was totally wrong about Vanessa, holy shit

She -will- end up high tier if her neutral is good enough, she absolutely has the damage.

vg260

I just starting playing this for real, and having a pretty rough time with the characters I'm most interested in. I'm having a heck of a time judging what's punishable, doing punishes, etc. I thought I'd have a decent time getting running in this game after SF, but I was awful online. I think I'm going to stick to some of the most basic characters to start. What's a decent, well-rounded, decent team for starters to learn the engine? Something akin to a team of SF Ryus to start. Maybe Terry for one?

Random stuff:

Kyo gets to do cr.Bx2 close B on hit thanks to collision fix
Low rekka route is a legit frame trap on most of the roster, trades with 3f normals
Sylvie can actually get her corner max mode combo from the round start position if you run a little before qcb+AC and after it into qcb+C
Ramon cr.D whiff cancel D sobat ayy lmao
Iori's cl.B into close C on block seems to benefit from collision fix too
same for Athena cr.C into C fireball

I just starting playing this for real, and having a pretty rough time with the characters I'm most interested in. I'm having a heck of a time judging what's punishable, doing punishes, etc. I thought I'd have a decent time getting running in this game after SF, but I was awful online. I think I'm going to stick to some of the most basic characters to start. What's a decent, well-rounded, decent team for starters to learn the engine? Something akin to a team of SF Ryus to start. Maybe Terry for one?

Daimon and Ryo should help you learn different aspects of the game, Robert isn't a bad choice if you really want to go with a classic fireball/uppercut game. You could learn the system with about any character (it'd be easier to make a list of characters beginners should avoid tbh), then it's more about what you want to focus on. If you're really into space control then playing a basic Billy works too.

GrayFoxPL

Ryo's buff of being able to hit with a cr. C after hiting with dp+A against an airborne opponent seems to be gone? If it is then it is probably due to his new anywhere juggle move I'm guessing, he would have been able to bypass into it from the cr. C.

I noticed that after dp+A he gets cr.A that resets opponent. Anywhere juggle move you mean f,b,f+C?

Slaythe

That Psn+ discount is definitely interesting...

Not sure if I should get it or not. I do have to say the artstyle is still putting me off a bit. Kyo's dlc costume helps though I guess.

The gameplay seems pretty tough.

BadWolf

Picked a character who could fully cash out his meter as anchor against an anchor Leona, a couple of matches in and Leona was his anchor no more lol. Dat 900 health.

They buffed Ralf quite a bit, his changes kind of make him feel like a tank that can keep rushing forward. Very interesting properties on his moves.

Perfect, thanks man. SNK should be grateful you did their job for them so quick lol.

I'm now in love with Sylvie. The buffs she got last patch were already pretty good, but now she got even better. That EX Dischar-Jing buff is so good. It allows for more damaging MAX mode combos, as well as a tricky reset in MAX mode. Sylvie on anchor is dangerous with her new buffs.

Agreed, she is so damn dangerous now. The more meter she has the worse it gets for the opponent, and it's not that she just has big damage (and it is BIG) but she has so many ways to trigger it.

heh. i didn't get to watch much of the stream, but i just saw his latest conclusions:

Yup, people are going to go back and forth on these characters for a while. Happens all the time.

That's pretty easy to check in KOF.

1. Go to practice mode and in the menu select it so the CPU jumps after guarding 1 hit
2. Attack the CPU with an attack you want to check and hold up to jump
3. If the CPU jumps before your character after blocking the attack then the move is negative on block, the longer it takes for your character to jump up the more negative the move is
4. If your character jumped before the CPU then the move is positive on block
5. If your characters jump at the same time then it's neutral

I noticed that after dp+A he gets cr.A that resets opponent. Anywhere juggle move you mean f,b,f+C?

The EX version of that move is anywhere juggle.

Yeah he can get the cr. A but it's not nearly as good as getting Cr.C was since that worked great anywhere on the screen.

I did check the anywhere juggle bypass though and it does work. In the corner you can bypass from the cr. A and the EX punches connect.

If you use the cr. C as a deep ant-air then you can also bypass it into the EX punches (works anywhere on the screen).

The anywhere juggle buff is cool and everything but it's a bummer that you can't juggle after it outside the corner.

BadWolf

Juicebox training up Rock/Vanessa

https://www.twitch.tv/juicebox_fgc

(I haven't had more than 10 mins to try the DLC, all I can do is watch streams)

He's doing Bandeiras OTG combos wrong -_-

https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26

Frionel thinks Choi will be a nightmare to play against, and a contender for Top Tiers, easy.

Yeah he had quite the change list there.

How do you play Rock up close? His specials don't seem very safe. Help!

Look at the matches I linked to in an above post (a compilation and Dakou matches) for inspiration.

Wow, I am having a really tough time confirming Yamazaki's Serpent Strikes into Pit Viper during neutral. You have to perform the cancel so early that it seems nearly impossible for me to do on reaction unless I'm just doing something horribly wrong, though.

I must say that Yamazaki has easily surpassed Ramon and Alice as my character of choice; he's just as fun as he was in CvS2 and the little aesthetic additions like Pit Viper's poison effect and Drill stopping time briefly (complete with WRYYYYYYYY pose) go a long way towards making him a sight to behold.

Hyun Sai

st.C, fwd+A, HCF+D, QCF+C, OTG super, QCF+C

Hmm, perhaps I'm also doing wrong, but I'm doing a variation of st.C, fw+A, QCF+C, OTG Super, QCF+C, HCF+D, HCF+B, Cr D

It's an anywhere combo doing around 500 damage with 2 bars, or less with a reset mix-up, perhaps we can do better...l

I must say the fact that QFC+C works after Cr.B Cr.B Cr.A is wonderful ^^

From Frio stream, Tung is also legit 100%.

BadWolf

Wow, I am having a really tough time confirming Yamazaki's Serpent Strikes into Pit Viper during neutral. You have to perform the cancel so early that it seems nearly impossible for me to do on reaction unless I'm just doing something horribly wrong, though.

Since the Serpent Strike is a QCB move, all you have to do to get that super after it is QCF+P.

Do the serpent and then immediately do QCF+P and hold the P, KOF's really generous input buffer should take care of the rest.

Hmm, perhaps I'm also doing wrong, but I'm doing a variation of st.C, fw+A, QCF+C, OTG Super, QCF+C, HCF+D, HCF+B, Cr D

It's an anywhere combo doing around 500 damage with 2 bars, or less with a reset mix-up, perhaps we can do better...l

I must say the fact that QFC+C works after Cr.B Cr.B Cr.A is wonderful ^^

Yeah that's right (though I think you mixed up the order there after the super lol). He's doing the HCF+D before the super so he's limiting how he can juggle after it. What I love about this is that it's so easy to continue on to even bigger damage if you have more meter to burn (up to all 5 can be burned starting from the same root).

Yeah love that cr.A into QCF+C. Outside of comboing from an overhead he doesn't need max mode at all to do damage, which also means that he builds a decent amount of meter during his combos.

Have you tried OTG super into combo after his Izuno drop? Dat damage.

Since the Serpent Strike is a QCB move, all you have to do to get that super after it is QCF+P.

Do the serpent and then immediately do QCF+P and hold the P, KOF's really generous input buffer should take care of the rest.

Yeah that's what I'm doing, it's just that since Serpent Strike's first hit happens so quickly it's very hard to cancel errant blows into super. I can do it with ease in a combo, it's just doing it on reaction that's so tough.

Hyun Sai

Yeah that's right (though I think you mixed up the order there after the super lol). He's doing the HCF+D before the super so he's limiting how he can juggle after it. What I love about this is that it's so easy to continue on to even bigger damage if you have more meter to burn (up to all 5 can be burned starting from the same root).

Yeah love that cr.A into QCF+C. Outside of comboing from an overhead he doesn't need max mode at all to do damage, which also means that he builds a decent amount of meter during his combos.

Have you tried OTG super into combo after his Izuno drop? Dat damage.

Oh yes, my mistake there is no QCF+C after the OTG, its the HCF+D and whatever you want after that.

No I didn't try after Izuno Drop, you mean the one after a run ? I can't do this easily in a match unfortunately.

Frio is on Meteikun, and he seems insane now. One of the best projectile, he got a new cross up, he does insane damage, he gained a new anti projectile property, his super level 1 is invincible now....

Slaythe

Holy hell, as expected, Kyo's costume improves the graphics significantly. Hopefully V3.0 has this kind of treatment for every character in the game.

071259e3c41804ccb778be5fc87ae462.jpg

Also, the trials are a joke in this game >_> can you unlock more ???

GrayFoxPL

The EX version of that move is anywhere juggle.

Yeah he can get the cr. A but it's not nearly as good as getting Cr.C was since that worked great anywhere on the screen.

I did check the anywhere juggle bypass though and it does work. In the corner you can bypass from the cr. A and the EX punches connect.

If you use the cr. C as a deep ant-air then you can also bypass it into the EX punches (works anywhere on the screen).

The anywhere juggle buff is cool and everything but it's a bummer that you can't juggle after it outside the corner.

Nice, shame I'm so bad with Ryo. Or anyone else...

Btw is it just me or they upgraded CPU AI? Even on NeoGeo standard (Level 4) AI starts doing combos possible post patch. Very fun!

I bought the game >_> .

Hope I don't hate it.

You won't. It's great.

Share the experience how's online because for me it's awful. Not the netcode, netcode Is the best I experienced, but the actual ability to join rooms.

When you first go online the game tells you what NAT you have.

BadWolf

Played some KOD, the dude got buffed.

Quick max speed is much better, some much improved normals (his j.CD is like "I believe I can fly and there's nothing you girls can do about it") and the grab buffs are sweet.

Yeah that's what I'm doing, it's just that since Serpent Strike's first hit happens so quickly it's very hard to cancel errant blows into super. I can do it with ease in a combo, it's just doing it on reaction that's so tough.

Dunno then sorry :/

Frio is on Meteikun, and he seems insane now. One of the best projectile, he got a new cross up, he does insane damage, he gained a new anti projectile property, his super level 1 is invincible now....

He also got improved invincibility on his reversal, he's much better in general. That new EX lung punch cuts through fireballs like butter. Mid screen damage is very solid and corner damage is very high. The dude is a menace to fight with raw activation.

Frionel wasn't very impressed with Maxima from what it sounded, saying the character was underused and SNK didn't do anything to change that. He was able to do a 60% damage combo for one bar with him with his new buff but it took him forever to land so probably not very practical.

Nice, shame I'm so bad with Ryo. Or anyone else...

Btw is it just me or they upgraded CPU AI? Even on NeoGeo standard (Level 4) AI starts doing combos possible post patch. Very fun!

Yeah Ryo can be pretty tough because you have to really rely on his normals and fundamentals to be effective.

That looks really nice, the alt colors are great.

Those look sweet but just wanted to mention for those interested in her that those combos are for flash and not required for playing her. The more elaborate she gets the more she scales.

You can get the same or very comparable damage to those combos with much simpler and much easier combos with her.

Slaythe

Then it's probably on the people you try to join's end than yours.

Also, what a wonderful idea it was to remove taunts, interesting trials, and recoloring your characters. /s

GrayFoxPL

Frionel wasn't very impressed with Maxima from what it sounded, saying the character was underused and SNK didn't do anything to change that. He was able to do a 60% damage combo for one bar with him with his new buff but it took him forever to land so probably not very practical.

Maxima is one of my favorite characters post KOF98. He's rather bland here. He needs more moves, oomph and character. Maybe they should have went with Rocky.

Xevren

Watching Frionel try to land things after air ex vapor cannon was rough, at least made me feel better when I had issues. Wish Maxima got more love =/

BadWolf

Maxima is one of my favorite characters post KOF98. He's rather bland here. He needs more moves, oomph and character. Maybe they should have went with Rocky.

Watching Frionel try to land things after air ex vapor cannon was rough, at least made me feel better when I had issues. Wish Maxima got more love =/

He was awesome in XIII, in XIV it doesn't feel like he jives well with the core mechanics.

EX moves being locked behind max mode really hurts him and even then they aren't anything special (and some are worse than their XIII versions). Guard points are no longer free cancellable into specials either. And his glorious 3 frame fully invincible super is gone as well.

His damage output is solid (and low execution) but beyond that there isn't anything that stands out about him. He can be effective but not high level play effective, well from what has been seen so far anyway.

Hyun Sai

Oh well, the last time I played Yamazaki was in KoF97, but I heard he is like a totally different character from any version. Game plan seems strange, let's hope I'll get used to it ^^

Slaythe

I can't believe they fixed Kyo entirely. Kyo is the one character I ever managed to play in KOF games :D . Was really disappointed in the first version. (hideous design + shitty set ups and combos limitations)

His DLC costume + his 2.0 version makes me feel like playing a proper KOF XIV Kyo, unlike the demo I had tried out months ago. >_>

Top Bottom