• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

I wonder if they're considering some sort of collaboration/crossover/guest character in any of their projects.

It would be an interesting "f* you" to Capcom to associate with the guys who made SFEX rather than modern Capcom itself, after how badly the CvS games worked out financially for SNK...

Tbh they would be of great help on a new Samurai Shodown, some of the backgrounds in that new Fighting Layer demo looked like they would fit right into it (especially the one on the rooftop) and the character models looked solid.

It has been over half a year since XIV's release so SNK has to have started on their next (core) game by now, right?

Next year is SamSho's 25th anniversary so that will give them over 2 years development time for a new game in the series.

They made XIV in a little over 2 years (while having to build their team and tools from scratch and create a gigantic roster, non of which will be an issue for the new SamSho) of development time so a new SamSho should be doable.

Beckx

speaking of SamSho (since this is kind of the default SNK community) I saw that SSVI was on PS4 as a PS2 classic. No one ever talks about SSVI, how is it?

I absolutely HATE how the PS2 classic FF collection wants me to use the touchpad for start and select. Basically makes it a huge pita to use my Hori fightpad.

A predict a lot of 100% stun anchor Vanessa this week-end !

Let's also see how many kept Robert in their team LOL

C8wqDBjUwAEGAJX.jpg:orig

I expect this to happen on stream.

I wish I wasn't booty with Angel. Her combos are fun but her playstyle in neutral and conversions in a match are just not my kind of thing.

I wonder what costumes they will make next, since they are doing designs that differ quite a bit from their default. I bet Cat Leona might eventually make it in, since that was pretty popular in Metal Slug Attack. Beni better get something good, maybe make it go full circle with Jojo's and put him in Silver Chariot. Even though nostalgia costumes are expected, I want them to do something different and atypical for the first wave of costumes for most characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
On Tung's B&B's, I have to say the fact that he can get his command normal out of (d.B, d.A, df.A) is one of the more solid aspects of him. I love poking with his Cs, but being able to get close, open up with a low, and finish with a variety of specials due to the generous hitstun from df.A really helps him feel like he's more than pokes-for-pressure.

She's one of my mains but I can't say I like that costume at all -_-

I think what I like best about it is that it's at least a bit different than the expected "naughty demon" look they could have given her. Kinda like how Nakoruru's school girl outfit is a bit more unique than the average Sailor Fuku that Athena already has patented in all recent appearances....

I also like the fact they continue to use Angel as a character who gets some nice Skin color variations.

Anything you'd have preferred to see on her, that comes to mind?

The taunts were probably not included on purpose because iirc Japanese players really hate them and they are barely used in KOF anyway. Doubt it was a lack of time/budget issue since they went to the trouble of making unique win animations for when a character beats two characters. They could have easily used those animations for taunts instead if they wanted.

They could have, but I still feel more like it's because they already did extensive "bonus" animation work for other places of the game. Games like Tekken, Injustice, and SFIV still get away with basically only having 1 "cinematic Super" per character. KoF has unique starts for each SDM, the CDMs, and characters have unique MAX activation poses as well. And our DLC characters also have more unique knockdown animations than many of the core cast. And they still take the time to make unique dizzy animations, which I always found off, since stunning seems so rare in the series (less so now if Vanessa stays the way she is...)

Not to mention the Foreground and Background "WINNER!" Screen poses. And then we have all those poses used in Story Mode just for conversations. There's a lot in this game that serves as "taunts" with context, within this games design.

If anything, I still wish there were more pre-match animations to show off character relationships. Billy and Hein bowing to Geese is nice, but man, not having characters acknowledge best friends, family, students, or lovers at all pre-match is just... weird. Even just having the characters say each others names while doing their standard pre-fight intro poses would have been nice.

And yeah, iirc it was mentioned that a lot of the new VAs are local talent, which was probably done to have easy access to them when needed. Good stuff.

Agreed, it was an ultimately good change. While pre-match stuff might suffer outside of "story" mode, post-match is not only one of the strongest in KoF history, but some of the best in fighters.

New costumes are neat, but I really just want Leona to get her jacket back. Is that too much to ask? She's freaking cold!

If the Jacket comes back, she also gets shorts again. She's kinda cold either way!

I'd still love for a costume for her to allow you to mix the tank, Shorts, Long pants, and jacket tops in any way you wish. Equal opportunity would also love to see Ralf and Clark with the ability to remove their vest / shirts too. Many people call for "Color Edit" mode for this game, but I think I'd enjoy "Accessory Edit" even more.

speaking of SamSho (since this is kind of the default SNK community) I saw that SSVI was on PS4 as a PS2 classic. No one ever talks about SSVI, how is it?

IV was the way SNK quickly patched up the disappointment of SSIII, and is generally a very refined game in comparison. I've never spent as much time with it as I'd liked (my Saturn port bugged out with the RAM cart I had, making it basically unplayable...), but it seems like a solid game in the series.

Please make dlc that undoes Robert's cheap pimp look.

Other than the fact he's a well dressed slick looking guy, I never see his current look as a Cheap Pimp, lol. I think it's a better take on his 2003 look (especially when used with the reference color.) I feel like they'd give him something odd like a Mariachi outfit in this game, regardless of how appropriate that might be...

sibarraz

Banned
IV was the way SNK quickly patched up the disappointment of SSIII, and is generally a very refined game in comparison. I've never spent as much time with it as I'd liked (my Saturn port bugged out with the RAM cart I had, making it basically unplayable...), but it seems like a solid game in the series.

He was talking of 6, not 4

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^^ LoL, glad to see my error was... kinda... relevant?!?

He was talking of 6, not 4

Plllt, doh! Just saw IV on the Switch presentation, and totally ran from there, lol. Thanks for the correction!

In that case, I find VI to be a really interesting curiosity. It's pretty ugly in some ways, but also kinda nice and semi-modern looking, with it's higher-res background and such. The gameplay is loaded with options (characters each have optional moves and playstyles that fra, there's an immense amount of characters, and it's fun to toy around with, and the return of many series characters that never appeared again (SEIGER!)

At the same time, it... feels off as a Sam-Sho. The lack of Fatal Slashes / Blood detracts from the cool, fatal nature of the earlier titles, and the addition of more fun and sexy fanservice stuff in addition, makes it feel like a large personality shift. The variety offered by playing so many different versions of each character could make up for this, or it can leave you feeling like you're playing a big MUGEN project.

I like the overview of it on Hardcore Gamer 101, just to get a general idea of what it is to the series as a whole. And I know there used to be a decent amount of gameplay vids for it popping up from arcade in Japan a few years back on YouTube... actually, here's part 1 of a Tourney from Feb of Last Year.. Might help give a good idea of what the stupid and broken of the game is! (Haven't watched myself.)

Beckx

Thanks - I think I'll pick it up, that way I'll have II, IV, V, and VI. Wonder if I should pick it up as a PS2 on PS3 and use it on my cab, or PS2 on PS4. Hrm. Kind of annoying that you don't get the PS3 version when you buy the PS4.

GrayFoxPL

It's basically not about costume, it's ok, but overall appearance.

I'll take this:

ozMuiNs.gif
LZ76hSZ.png
KH9pngO.jpg

Or this:

cYvaKDw.jpg
uuDDEaB.gif

over this:

9MgDEpH.jpg

...any time of the week.
Those feminine eyes, curly bangs, ridiculous goatee. I understand they went for "romantic" look. Johnny Depp style, like one poster pointed out but even Depp looks more like a fighter then XIV Robert. He is rich playboy but he always looked like a real fighter. I'm sorry I can't take him seriously in XIV.

Just shave this fucking "thing" you have on your face, man. ;D

It just tastes, guys, don't take it seriously. :]

In other things, I saw one KOF youtuber called Rock: "Pay to Win". ;)

NVTZfwx.jpg

BadWolf

Played Antonov yesterday, so wacky and fun and I like how his wackiness reflects even in his combos.

One of the sets I played was against someone who was using Chang on point so there was a big body showdown at the start of every match.

The quick max speed change helps him a lot, previously he needed to use cr. C after quick max to keep a combo going reliably and pretty much couldn't quick max after lights. Now it all works.

His new 2 bar BnB combo does some major damage now (about 550 without jump in) and can be done anywhere on the screen and in any position. In the corner he gets to add an extra normal for a bit more damage. When doing this combo from his overhead it does about 500 damage.

Unfortunately he still can't chain any lights (they feel more like links) and he can't combo them into anything without using meter.

His new EX punch special buff turns the move into one giant window of invincibility against projectiles, do it early or do it late it will go through them regardless.

Thanks so much badwolf :D

Np :)

I wish I wasn't booty with Angel. Her combos are fun but her playstyle in neutral and conversions in a match are just not my kind of thing.

What are you having trouble with? The main thing is not to overextend yourself with her, she can do a lot yeah but you don't need to overly complicate things. Outside of her chains you play her like a normal KOF character, she has good normals and speed.

Anything you'd have preferred to see on her, that comes to mind?

Personally I'm a big fan of casual wear so some jeans, shorts, sneakers, t-shirt, hoodie, jacket, training wear etc. would have been nice. In DOA5 my fave costumes are usually these.

The costume they gave her is just wtf territory tbh.

They could have, but I still feel more like it's because they already did extensive "bonus" animation work for other places of the game. Games like Tekken, Injustice, and SFIV still get away with basically only having 1 "cinematic Super" per character. KoF has unique starts for each SDM, the CDMs, and characters have unique MAX activation poses as well. And our DLC characters also have more unique knockdown animations than many of the core cast. And they still take the time to make unique dizzy animations, which I always found off, since stunning seems so rare in the series (less so now if Vanessa stays the way she is...)

Not to mention the Foreground and Background "WINNER!" Screen poses. And then we have all those poses used in Story Mode just for conversations. There's a lot in this game that serves as "taunts" with context, within this games design.

If anything, I still wish there were more pre-match animations to show off character relationships. Billy and Hein bowing to Geese is nice, but man, not having characters acknowledge best friends, family, students, or lovers at all pre-match is just... weird. Even just having the characters say each others names while doing their standard pre-fight intro poses would have been nice.

Well said and this has also been one of the big pluses of them switching from 2D to 3D, those high quality 2D sprites just didn't give them the luxury of doing extra/quirky stuff, we even lost close/far normals.

The lack of Fatal Slashes / Blood detracts from the cool, fatal nature of the earlier titles, and the addition of more fun and sexy fanservice stuff in addition, makes it feel like a large personality shift.

You'd better not be dissing Iroha -_-

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So what you're saying is Angel should dress something like this...

series.jpg

...Ok! XD I always though she herself was pretty much in "WTF" territory, so giving her something no sane person would actually wear... yeah.

In a post-removed cl.Normal world, I find myself rarely missing them. I definitely like varied command normals rather than auto-distance-adjustment ones now, overall, but it's definitely good to HAVE the option some of those close ones gave. (Like Vice's Straight-up cl.D...), and I'm glad for more jump normals, like straight-up or hop varieties.

And I might kinda be dissin' Iroha. Her whole deal of being a transformed crane or something is pretty unique, though, and I never really got into her character. I'm more bias for Mina, who'se probably just as bad much of the time, so I can't really judge!

DoM-mina_leona.jpg

... I mean, if she gets along with Leona, I guess my bias is well rooted, at least...

What are you having trouble with? The main thing is not to overextend yourself with her, she can do a lot yeah but you don't need to overly complicate things. Outside of her chains you play her like a normal KOF character, she has good normals and speed.

I just play stupid and screw up combo paths. Most characters I like to play and are comfortable with are also meter hogs, so I usually end up placing her in front, but that puts usually puts her against characters more neutral focused since generally people like those kinds of characters on point since they can stay alive, do well without meter, and build it.

BadWolf

So what you're saying is Angel should dress something like this...

series.jpg

...Ok! XD I always though she herself was pretty much in "WTF" territory, so giving her something no sane person would actually wear... yeah.

I would be more than okay with that (their VAs being the same at one point helps).

And as much as I would like to see a nurse Angel, it's an outfit that would probably make more sense for Alice since that's her job.

In a post-removed cl.Normal world, I find myself rarely missing them. I definitely like varied command normals rather than auto-distance-adjustment ones now, overall, but it's definitely good to HAVE the option some of those close ones gave. (Like Vice's Straight-up cl.D...), and I'm glad for more jump normals, like straight-up or hop varieties.

The only time I miss not having close normals is when I play Ryo. That beautiful 5 frame standing D of his in XIII...

And I might kinda be dissin' Iroha. Her whole deal of being a transformed crane or something is pretty unique, though, and I never really got into her character. I'm more bias for Mina, who'se probably just as bad much of the time, so I can't really judge!

... I mean, if she gets along with Leona, I guess my bias is well rooted, at least...

Was about to V-Slasher you for Iroha but since you are a fellow Mina fan you are forgiven. Both of them are probably my fave Samsho ladies, which is why I own these:

https://myfigurecollection.net/picture/53265&ref=item:619
https://myfigurecollection.net/picture/14424&ref=item:362

I just play stupid and screw up combo paths. Most characters I like to play and are comfortable with are also meter hogs, so I usually end up placing her in front, but that puts usually puts her against characters more neutral focused since generally people like those kinds of characters on point since they can stay alive, do well without meter, and build it.

Angel is actually pretty good on point, that's where I use her a lot of the time.

Her meterless damage is really good (both mid screen and in the corner) and the less meter the opponent has to work with the more you can mess them up with her chains (most people can't deal with them and love to use meter to escape).

An important thing to remember about her chains is that every hit does chip damage so keeping those chains going against a blocking opponent is never a waste.

Break her chains down in terms of usefulness, see what hits as an overhead, as a low etc. and try to use them here and there and soon they will become second nature. Don't forget to use her chain evade (which has invincibility and is supercancelable) to get yourself to safety or to mix things up more. Just go into practice and get 1 basic attack chain and 1 basic overhead chain down and get comfortable doing them in real matches (I can list some if you like).

Just don't confuse yourself trying to do too much at once, her gameplay makes a lot of sense once you get use to it. The same goes for Nelson.

Angel is actually pretty good on point, that's where I use her a lot of the time.

Her meterless damage is really good (both mid screen and in the corner) and the less meter the opponent has to work with the more you can mess them up with her chains (most people can't deal with them and love to use meter to escape).

An important thing to remember about her chains is that every hit does chip damage so keeping those chains going against a blocking opponent is never a waste.

Break her chains down in terms of usefulness, see what hits as an overhead, as a low etc. and try to use them here and there and soon they will become second nature. Don't forget to use her chain evade (which has invincibility and is supercancelable) to get yourself to safety or to mix things up more. Just go into practice and get 1 basic attack chain and 1 basic overhead chain down and get comfortable doing them in real matches (I can list some if you like).

Just don't confuse yourself trying to do too much at once, her gameplay makes a lot of sense once you get use to it. The same goes for Nelson.

I would love to know those basic chains.

I main Team Mexico on its entirety and I agree, Angel works exceptionally well as point. Ramon does wonders as middle and KOD is terrifying as anchor (I'm still surprised to see so many people putting him on point) But I'm going on a tangent now. Going back to Angel, I don't use much of her chains (pretty much simple three hit ones, followed up by her super if I have the meter available) but those work well enough to hold my ground.

It's a weird issue but the characters that I have a weird time using are ones that rely on proximity normals in this game for the simple bnb. It feels like in this version, you have to be much closer than usual compared to other games to get a close normal, so it is really easy at times to get a far normal, and I think far cancellable normals are mostly an exception since most characters lack them aside from CD (but they don't rely on proximity anyways). So when I play Angel, doing cr.B, cl.B, into B,F+Kick unchain starter, it gets really easy to get far B which basically ends it.

So that's a pretty big reason I'm booty with Angel's combo conversions, which makes the times when I get in not as rewarding as I should be. The characters I actually main have easy cancellable crouch normals, so I don't have to deal with that (ex. cr.A with Leona cancels into strike arch so I can go into it even if I am out of close proximity range, Benimaru is the cr.B is great, #2 normal behind the godly j.D, Love Heart has Orangutan normals that would make Lanky Kong proud and max mode cancelling anything into cr.C is easy). I also have the same problem with Alice, her far normals are just left hanging when you get it accidentally do it.

It's a weird issue but the characters that I have a weird time using are ones that rely on proximity normals in this game for the simple bnb. It feels like in this version, you have to be much closer than usual compared to other games to get a close normal, so it is really easy at times to get a far normal, and I think far cancellable normals are mostly an exception since most characters lack them aside from CD (but they don't rely on proximity anyways). So when I play Angel, doing cr.B, cl.B, into B,F+Kick unchain starter, it gets really easy to get far B which basically ends it.

You're either starting your strings from too far or pressing buttons too slowly. Angel can get 2 cr.B into close B if you're hitting them up close and chaining, it's pushback on block or a slight delay that will force far B instead. Then again confirming off of two lights is important in general and is one reason why you'll want to go into cr.A instead at times.

BadWolf

Stream schedule for KoFXIV at NCR on reddit :

https://www.reddit.com/r/kof/comments/656jcv/ncr_stream_schedule/

I will be able to watch the Top 8 this time. I hope commentary will be ok.

Thanks!

I would love to know those basic chains.

I main Team Mexico on its entirety and I agree, Angel works exceptionally well as point. Ramon does wonders as middle and KOD is terrifying as anchor (I'm still surprised to see so many people putting him on point) But I'm going on a tangent now. Going back to Angel, I don't use much of her chains (pretty much simple three hit ones, followed up by her super if I have the meter available) but those work well enough to hold my ground.

A good one to learn first is:

St. C or D, fwd+B (1 hit), back forward+K, down+A (or forward+P), forward forward+A (launcher), juggle with dashing command throw or DM

What's nice about this combo is that it can also start from lights and has an easy high/low mix up in the middle. If you do the down+A then Angel will do a low before the launcher and if you do a forward+P then she will do an overhead before the launcher. You can even do a forward+K after the down+A to do a low into an overhead into command throw. So yeah, she can take this one combo in various directions. If for example they are blocking the whole thing then you can finish with QCF+A chain throw and throw them out of block.

If you don't want to use back-forward+K then another option is:

St. C or D, fwd+B (1 hit), down-forward+LK, down+A, forward+K, QCF+C (throw)

This combo does about the same damage as the one above when meterless and incorporates two lows and an overhead.

If you want a quick super cancel combo then try this:

St. C or D, fwd+B (1 hit), QCB+C, supercancel into DM

A good overhead starter combo:

Down-forward+D, down+A, forward+K, QCF+C (throw)

This gives you an overhead into a low into another overhead and throw finisher. You can extend its range by omitting the down+A but then it won't be as easy to hit confirm. Both are useful.

Get these down first and then you can adjust them and learn new ones. Get used to the chain attacks and finishers and how they hit because they always retain their properties of being a low, overhead etc. no matter where or how many times you use them in a combo.

You will notice with Angel that she has many, many ways to combo but most of them will end up in a very similar place when it comes to damage. So feel free to mold her combos to what's easiest for you because I'm pretty sure that's how SNK built her in XIV.

So that's a pretty big reason I'm booty with Angel's combo conversions, which makes the times when I get in not as rewarding as I should be. The characters I actually main have easy cancellable crouch normals, so I don't have to deal with that (ex. cr.A with Leona cancels into strike arch so I can go into it even if I am out of close proximity range, Benimaru is the cr.B is great, #2 normal behind the godly j.D, Love Heart has Orangutan normals that would make Lanky Kong proud and max mode cancelling anything into cr.C is easy). I also have the same problem with Alice, her far normals are just left hanging when you get it accidentally do it.

It was done to balance out the air to ground offense. They started doing this in XIII already by making it so you needed to land a jump in deeper compared to the first arcade version but the advantage was still very heavily skewed towards the jumper in that game.

In XIV between the proximity normals not activating as easily, throw punishes being inescapable and quick max being more abundant, it has become a lot more dangerous to jump around brainlessly fishing for damage.

For Angel use cr.B (she can do up to two)>cr.A instead of cr.B>s.B. This way you don't have to worry about proximity.

For Alice use cr.Bs (which chain and are special cancelable) or cr.C (if you want to combo into her command normal) instead of s.C.

Whip is such a strange character.

Any videos of decent play with her?

Check out gxbridget (he was the guy who came second in the championship) on youtube, he was kicking a lot of ass with her a few days ago and is by far on the highest level compared to everyone else using her right now.

stn

Is the first hit of Kyo's rekka usually safe on block? The frame data says its -6 but I don't typically see Kyo players get punished for it? Thanks.

Is the first hit of Kyo's rekka usually safe on block? The frame data says its -6 but I don't typically see Kyo players get punished for it? Thanks.

-6 at that particular range and the possibilty for Kyo to frame trap by continuing the string makes it safer than the frame data suggests yeah. Guaranteed punishes for the rekka would require the range, speed and invincibility to ensure that Kyo going into the rest of the string is irrelevant. You can ignore the latter if the Kyo player really does nothing but stop after the first hit, but even then that's still the kind of punish that requires specific knowledge and practice, so you won't see it often. Not to mention that for many characters the moves that'd be appropriate might also be EX moves locked behind max mode.

BadWolf

NCR pools start in 20 mins

Live: https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

I miss Ryo's jumping chop move so, so much.

It honestly makes no sense that they are gimping his move list this much. At first people thought that it was because of the budget/time issues with the new 2D sprites but that clearly isn't the case anymore.

Also give him the tiger stance back and a new set of threads. His look has remained the same in mainline KOF for far too long.

anybody have any vids of nakoruru 2nd or anchor

Look up Romance on youtube, he uses her in all positions. Gxbridget also used her really well at the championship.

Live: https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

It honestly makes no sense that they are gimping his move list this much. At first people thought that it was because of the budget/time issues with the new 2D sprites but that clearly isn't the case anymore.

Also give him the tiger stance back and a new set of threads. His look has remained the same in mainline KOF for far too long.

Look up Romance on youtube, he uses her in all positions. Gxbridget also used her really well at the championship.

they change anything significant post patch about her outside of less health

BadWolf

Damn, that guy gave Reynald something to sweat about.

they change anything significant post patch about her outside of less health

Nerfs: nothing worth mentioning

Buffs: buffed heavy dp a little, added invincibility to sword slashing super

For the most part she plays the same.

Top Bottom