• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Skab

Is there some sort of trick do doing max cancels off normals into other normals? For example I was messing around with some of the trials earlier, and Dino has one where you do back forward lp max cancel into down hp, and it feels really awkward to do. Like my hands just have to hit to many buttons in a short window then move on to the rest of the combo.

I'm a complete noob to this game, and KoF in general. I really enjoy the gameplay, but I'm struggling to execute basic stuff. I know some of it is just practice, but I'm also wondering if there isn't any sort of tricks/shortcuts for things that I'm not aware of.

Any help would be appreciated :\

BadWolf

Is there some sort of trick do doing max cancels off normals into other normals? For example I was messing around with some of the trials earlier, and Dino has one where you do back forward lp max cancel into down hp, and it feels really awkward to do. Like my hands just have to hit to many buttons in a short window then move on to the rest of the combo.

I'm a complete noob to this game, and KoF in general. I really enjoy the gameplay, but I'm struggling to execute basic stuff. I know some of it is just practice, but I'm also wondering if there isn't any sort of tricks/shortcuts for things that I'm not aware of.

Any help would be appreciated :\

Try binding max mode to a separate button (HP+LK), would make things easier for you since you would just need to do:

- Forward LP
- tap shortcut button
- let Dino run forward a tiny bit
- hit cr. HP

Another advantage of using the shortcut is that you can just quickly double tap it or triple tap it to get a normal out, if you do it while holding down then you will get a crouch HP. So with Dino you can:

- crouch LPx3
- double (or triple, whatever works for you) tap the shortcut button while still crouching

And you will get crouching HP easily right out of the crouching lights.

To test just do a normal and then mash the shortcut button, you will see how easily you can get a normal into a normal.

Do note that after activation the character will auto run forward for a little bit so make sure you aren't holding forward or back during this time or you will interrupt the run and might not be able to reach the opponent in time to get the other normal.

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't believe they fixed Kyo entirely. Kyo is the one character I ever managed to play in KOF games :D . Was really disappointed in the first version. (hideous design + shitty set ups and combos limitations)

His DLC costume + his 2.0 version makes me feel like playing a proper KOF XIV Kyo, unlike the demo I had tried out months ago. >_>

Was just about to post this. While I was fine with Kyo before this recent patch, the new version feels just right now. Originally I wanted them to fix his movement a tiny bit more, but I'm content with it as is.

I disagree on shitty setups though, however,I do admit I can't remember if his current setups worked in the very first version of the game. Regardless, they're really good now and makes his mixup game after really scary.

Skab

Try binding max mode to a separate button (HP+LK), would make things easier for you since you would just need to do:

- Forward LP
- tap shortcut button
- let Dino run forward a tiny bit
- hit cr. HP

Another advantage of using the shortcut is that you can just quickly double tap it or triple tap it to get a normal out, if you do it while holding down then you will get a crouch HP. So with Dino you can:

- crouch LPx3
- double (or triple, whatever works for you) tap the shortcut button while still crouching

And you will get crouching HP easily right out of the crouching lights.

To test just do a normal and then mash the shortcut button, you will see how easily you can get a normal into a normal.

Do note that after activation the character will auto run forward for a little bit so make sure you aren't holding forward or back during this time or you will interrupt the run and might not be able to reach the opponent in time to get the other normal.

This helped a ton, thank you! After reading this I was able to do Dino and Whips trials. Not much for you guys I'm sure, but progress for me :)

My wife and kids came down with the flu last week so I haven't had a chance to spend more than 10 minutes with the game now that the 2.00 patch is live for everyone.

Probably gonna stay up way too late tonight playing around with the characters and come into work sleepy tomorrow. I really need to get better at KOF in general...

Slaythe

Holy god the graphics update, I was like "heh the game isn't so ugly I don't remember why i hated it so much before..."

this is why

a94694d06bae66519ac8b9266055c467.jpg

071259e3c41804ccb778be5fc87ae462.jpg

Was just about to post this. While I was fine with Kyo before this recent patch, the new version feels just right now. Originally I wanted them to fix his movement a tiny bit more, but I'm content with it as is.

I disagree on shitty setups though, however,I do admit I can't remember if his current setups worked in the very first version of the game. Regardless, they're really good now and makes his mixup game after really scary.

The situation after hcb+K was pretty terrible before 2.00, now you get pressure after it.

Really wish this game had subtitles (at least for Climax cinematics/victory quotes); Yamazaki speaks like a full sentence before each of his supers yet I have no clue what he's supposed to be saying.

Slaythe

The situation after hcb+K was pretty terrible before 2.00, now you get pressure after it.

Not only that, he can max combo from stand D on crouching opponents without being stuck to them and hope 2c works.

And 2 b 2 b stand b into cisor is back.

So basically he's back to XIII goodness and not that Vanilla XIV infamy.

On top of that, with his dlc and visual upgrade, Kyo looks fantastic as illustrated above.

So yup, Kyo is back !

Amedo310

I'm currently making a list of block strings that can help found the auto-guard point and counter window of certain moves. So far, T
the list goes from frame 1 to frame 19.

Kyo's auto-guard points:
qcf+A: Frame 4 to 7
Qcf+C: Frame 7 to 11

I was working on this before new patch and I can get back on that quickly thanks to the frame data being most the same.

If people can let me know if the dlc characters have auto-guard, that would be good. I know about Clark's grab.

GrayFoxPL

Really wish this game had subtitles (at least for Climax cinematics/victory quotes); Yamazaki speaks like a full sentence before each of his supers yet I have no clue what he's supposed to be saying.

He's shittalking or "shitscreaming". Basically your yakuza psycho.

He's shittalking or "shitscreaming". Basically your yakuza psycho.

Is he saying anything in particular or just babbling nonsense? I love what few lines I can understand (like his "Hyaku nen hayain da yo!" victory line) so I'm very interested in deciphering as much of his dialogue as I can, haha.

GrayFoxPL

Is he saying anything in particular or just babbling nonsense? I love what few lines I can understand (like his "Hyaku nen hayain da yo!" victory line) so I'm very interested in deciphering as much of his dialogue as I can, haha.

Hayain da yo! is a common phrase. "You're (number of years) too early!" eg Akira says ten years, Yamazaki says thousand, lol.

Here you have examples of Yamazki's phrases.

Hayain da yo! is a common phrase. "You're (number of years) too early!" eg Akira says ten years, Yamazaki says thousand, lol.

Here you have examples of Yamazki's phrases.

Yeah I knew that much with my sub-high school-level Japanese skillz at least.

Shame that the quote page doesn't seem to be updated with his XIV lines; so I'm still in the dark as to what he says during Pit Viper and Drill.

Beckx

Tooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuute

C9DMuktUwAAkjyX.jpg

C8-Yx2nUAAAk8as.jpg

Drops Apr 12

Also apologies if it's already been mentioned but there's a new Special Edit Team ending
Rock, Terry, Geese

Rhapsody

Banned
It's better now that it was before is what I'm saying. Getting to run up meaty > lol reset to neutral.

True. I remember doing it the first time and was like... when did this move get the Xrd Heat Knuckle treatment? lol

But yeah, undeniably he's much better as the game went on. I still have to utilize that buff where I don't have to crC on Max before EX kick. Just need to fix muscle memory on that one and trust proximity will be close enough.

BadWolf

Making Bandeiras' super OTG was seriously a stroke of genius by SNK, he had a few other buffs but this one change basically completely turned him around. Always loved his design/character but felt like his gameplay lacked a little certain something, this buff is exactly the something that was missing. There is excellent utility to it even beyond just doing it in the middle of a BnB combo. Oh and he can even do it after a Climax DM if he does it with his back to the corner with the opponent next to him lol.

Also put time into Kurki, who I've played quite a bit since launch. I don't like the loss of invincibility on QCB+LK overhead at all. It wasn't active on start up and required precise timing so I'm not sure why they needed to remove it. The EX version received start up invincibility but the move sucks as a reversal due to how often it whiffs (it also completely whiffs on opponents standing right next to Kukri).

He does have some decent buffs, his cr. LP got buffed so he can do frame traps with it. His spin supers have added invincibility so can be used as reversals. The EX spin super moves faster so it sticks better in combos. His Climax DM seems to do better damage when used OTG. The loss of invincibility on QCB+LK really stings though.

The buff on Mian's far st. LP is really nice, gives her access to a new and more damaging meterless combo from lights and is also great for frame traps. Her damage is improved since her EX dance scales less.

Gotta say, online play this weekend was such a blast. So many people playing and such a large variety of characters being used.

stn

I've read a few opinions saying that zoning is weaker with the new patch. Any thoughts on this? Isn't Andy the only character who got his fireball nerfed?

Hyun Sai

I've read a few opinions saying that zoning is weaker with the new patch. Any thoughts on this? Isn't Andy the only character who got his fireball nerfed?

Robert fireball got slightly nerfed, Andly fireball got nerfed, but his EX fireball buffed, Joe stays the same, Athena, Meitenkun, Leona max mode earrings, Mai are still annoying bitches in that regard...

Some EX may have gained some Invincibility against projectile, Whip got the reflect, Kula's one is buffed...

Zoning is still strong IMO.

This patch got me back to playing. The dlc charecters are great fun also.
Still having tons of trouble with the game but I can see the horizon for getting better unlike kof13; i gave up from how difficult it was.
Atm running with terry/tung fu/KOD and seriously putting effort into learning combos
(Execution is a big issue but i will learn!)

vg260

Is there a good website or app move list that would be easily viewable on a phone? Most interested in the super moves, which I can never remember.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Robert fireball got slightly nerfed, Andly fireball got nerfed, but his EX fireball buffed, Joe stays the same, Athena, Meitenkun, Leona max mode earrings, Mai are still annoying bitches in that regard...

Some EX may have gained some Invincibility against projectile, Whip got the reflect, Kula's one is buffed...

Zoning is still strong IMO.

According to the people I played against last weekend, Kensou is still 'A fucking prick', because of 'That fucking fireball'

Hyun Sai

What's the Bandieras OTG Super combo?

crb crb cra qcf+C OTG Super qcf+D qcf+B ...?

Yeah. You can add cr. D at the end if you did the level 2 Super.

According to the people I played against last weekend, Kensou is still 'A fucking prick', because of 'That fucking fireball'

Heeh, I forgot Sie Kensou. Yeah, I believe them lol.

Ok, I didn't think of that Holy Shit...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The DLC costume I'll be buying, lol. I've always had fun with her since release, the first patch to her moves made her even better, and lately, she's been an anchor of familiarity for me, while trying out the DLC newbies. The Dischar-Jing! change was so perfect, too.

Beckx

The DLC costume I'll be buying, lol. I've always had fun with her since release, the first patch to her moves made her even better, and lately, she's been an anchor of familiarity for me, while trying out the DLC newbies. The Dischar-Jing! change was so perfect, too.

Haha, they are having fun with these.

BadWolf

Freaking Clark man. Just... freaking Clark lol.

Managed to pull this off at locals tonight:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SickGrippingGreyhounddog.webm

CHECK MY SICK REACTION SKILLS

IT WAS TOTALLY ON PURPOSE AND NOT A LUCKY ACCIDENT I SWEAR

lol, when you have the gift. Very nice.

Had a lot of hype moments with his counter in MOTW back in the day. One time got into a guessing match with an opponent (he got curious after two counters how long I could guess correctly lol) and it ended up being five counters in a row.

Ok, I didn't think of that Holy Shit...

Bro... he can do it after his slashing SDM... and it works mid screen.

The Dischar-Jing! change was so perfect, too.

That and the universal quick max speed change buff really take her to a new level. Sylvie for Evo champ pls, imagine that win screen face finishing off the tournament.

Tung and Sylvie really feel right in 2.00, gonna pick up another character and play another team entirely just to learn other stuff.

also lmao Sylvie's qcfx2+AC is 420 blaze it wtf

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I mean, if I could PLAY Angel any, I'd totally go for it.

Haha, they are having fun with these.

I'm glad too, makes it more exciting. It's nice it's not just all classic costumes or bikinis, y'know?

She ALMOST looks like human in that costume !

Moar Humanz should strive to look like our lovely piece of Paula Junk! (Cosplayers welcome!)

That and the universal quick max speed change buff really take her to a new level. Sylvie for Evo champ pls, imagine that win screen face finishing off the tournament.

Slaythe was saying they "took taunts out of the game", but there's no better one than sitting on Sylvie's Victory screen after a match!

Oh, and many didn't think they'd do it, but a lot of old characters have voiced Victory Screen convo's after beating Whip... Kensou talks about not being into that kinda stuff, Ralf tells Whippy to leave everything to her commanders, etc. I'm always glad to see SNK go the extra mile to exceed expectations.

Tung and Sylvie really feel right in 2.00, gonna pick up another character and play another team entirely just to learn other stuff.

I'm quite glad Tung's Senpu'ken can cross up much, much better now. Shou'ha with the increased hitbox is also great. MuiMui and Tung always fight for the same spot on my teams, pint-sized pugilist for the win.

I am liking Tung quite a bit and now added him to my team.
Anyone have any advice or bnb for Tung 2.00 they can share?
My over all skill in this game is very low but I want to get good or decent that I can land a combo 50% of the time.

BadWolf

Arika posting on twitter about Oda visiting them to try Fighting Layer EX (that April fools game) and discuss stuff.

Sylvie plz.

Does that make it the most damaging raw SDM in the game?

I mean, if I could PLAY Angel any, I'd totally go for it.

She's one of my mains but I can't say I like that costume at all -_-

Slaythe was saying they "took taunts out of the game", but there's no better one than sitting on Sylvie's Victory screen after a match!

Oh, and many didn't think they'd do it, but a lot of old characters have voiced Victory Screen convo's after beating Whip... Kensou talks about not being into that kinda stuff, Ralf tells Whippy to leave everything to her commanders, etc. I'm always glad to see SNK go the extra mile to exceed expectations.

The taunts were probably not included on purpose because iirc Japanese players really hate them and they are barely used in KOF anyway. Doubt it was a lack of time/budget issue since they went to the trouble of making unique win animations for when a character beats two characters. They could have easily used those animations for taunts instead if they wanted.

And yeah, iirc it was mentioned that a lot of the new VAs are local talent, which was probably done to have easy access to them when needed. Good stuff.

I am liking Tung quite a bit and now added him to my team.
Anyone have any advice or bnb for Tung 2.00 they can share?
My over all skill in this game is very low but I want to get good or decent that I can land a combo 50% of the time.

Here are two to start:

1. Cr. HP, QCF+LP
2. St. HP, down-forward+LP, QCB+LP or DP+K

The first combo is simple and a nice poke and block string, when you get more comfortable you can super cancel the fireball into his QCB, QCB+P super. His cr. HP has nice range so you don't need to be point blank to use it.

The second one is a good meterless BnB, if you finish with the command throw then you will get more meterless damage. If you finish with the lunge punch then you can super cancel it into the QCF, QCF+K super (regular or EX) and do really nice damage.

When you want to move on to max combos, try these two:

1. St. HP, down-forward+LP, [quick max], St. HP, down-forward+LP, EX QCF+P, EX QCB+P, then juggle with st. HP or sweep
2. St. HP, down-forward+LP, [quick max], St. HP, down-forward+LP, EX QCF+P, QCB+HP, super cancel into EX QCF, QCF+K super

The first combo costs 1 bar and the second one is 2 bars, both do really solid damage. Both can be done anywhere on the screen and Tung can do them while in any position on the team. The combos don't require much timing, just do one move after the other and they should connect without much trouble.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hope some folks bring out Rock at NCR, im pretty hyped to see the new chars in action.

Loona

Arika posting on twitter about Oda visiting them to try Fighting Layer EX (that April fools game) and discuss stuff.

I wonder if they're considering some sort of collaboration/crossover/guest character in any of their projects.

It would be an interesting "f* you" to Capcom to associate with the guys who made SFEX rather than modern Capcom itself, after how badly the CvS games worked out financially for SNK...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I wonder if they're considering some sort of collaboration/crossover/guest character in any of their projects.

It would be an interesting "f* you" to Capcom to associate with the guys who made SFEX rather than modern Capcom itself, after how badly the CvS games worked out financially for SNK...

Most def, SNK is making money of licensing characters so it would make sense to put Terry and friends on Arika's game.
Also that game looks legit good.

Name it King of Fighters Ex 3 and find a way to include those GBA exclusive characters
Kyoduck knows whats up.

Fighting Layer EX: MAXIMUM IMPACT.

Top Bottom