• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

lazerfox

Pardon my stupid question but I'm playing through CS1 right now so it's probably not save to watch the CS3 trailer?

My curiosity is killing me...

Jiraiza

You should stay far away from it until you finish Cold Steel 2.

Now that I'm privy to the Crossbell games, the trailer made me infinitely more hype. Sometimes, I wish I had started playing these games way earlier. I just got to an amazing scene with Tio and this trailer just had to come out, so I'll leave my thoughts for it tomorrow.

Loz246789

Oh no
I'm hyped for a game that won't be localised for ages
I'd place the Osborne speech as being towards the end probably, but otherwise surprisingly ok spoiler wise.

Gu4n

I spy Tita and Agate in the playable party, not sure if that was 100% confirmed before this in one of the magazine scans.

Also for a guy without a canon ship Rean and Alisa looked pretty close there 👀
Agate was immediately confirmed as playable, Tita in the previous commercial. Now we also see Olivier and Aurelia playable.

Please don't...

crush my ReanXFie dreams Falcom :(

It's too late.

ZSC8mbX.png

Gu4n

Wait, playable Aurelia?

1cf.gif
You can see her
fighting alongside Sara and Class VII against Arianrhod, and then with the smaller videos at the end performing her S-Craft.

I dumped a lot of impressions on my Twitter, not going to re-post everything here partially because of spoilers.

Jolkien

I'll settle for Xseed finally announcing they're bringing Cold Steel 3 on this side of the world before getting my hopes up. The trailer was amazing. So far away -_-

Korigama

You can see her
fighting alongside Sara and Class VII against Arianrhod, and then with the smaller videos at the end performing her S-Craft.

I dumped a lot of impressions on my Twitter, not going to re-post everything here partially because of spoilers.
Ah yes, I see now. Had to go back and watch it again (originally I saw
the part near the end with her S-Craft, but wasn't even paying attention to the party composition during the Arianrhod fight
). Thanks.

vkrili

I can't wait to finally date my teacher. Wait, no, I mean

*shuffles through papers*

I can't wait to finally stop Ouroboros, or something.

e: Wow, the HP values here are a lot smaller than I was expecting.

Default choice if you don't carry over data.

... which we still don't know how it'll work actually...

I'm starting to expect a mass effect 2 ps3 scenario where there is no way to transfer data. Instead early in the game some character will ask Rean to reflect upon what happened x years ago and internally Rean will say "well then I spent quality time with ->*player choice*". Or it could be the new sniper girl who wants Rean's curved blade who says something like "you have to have someone special in your life" and the player can choose who Rean's "special friend" is leading to "comical" misunderstanding if he mentions one of the male class 7 members, his former teacher sarah, or towa who'll naturally be there for reasons to get embarrased if Rean says her name.

I know people will pour over this more than I will, but there is one quick thing I thought was interesting, a shot in the final montage without rean in party. Though a few more parts are plenty possible when they show like sara leading, but this is the first ive noticed a battle shot without him

Party was Tio, kurt, juna, and altina. No backup members

I know people will pour over this more than I will, but there is one quick thing I thought was interesting, a shot in the final montage without rean in party. Though a few more parts are plenty possible when they show like sara leading, but this is the first ive noticed a battle shot without him

Party was Tio, kurt, juna, and altina. No backup members

The Campanella fight earlier in the trailer lacks him too, Yuna, Kurt, Musee, Ash with no backups.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Man, it's frustrating to be one game behind. I think I just saw CS II spoilers on the front page of Gematsu. Spoilers for the Final Chapter of CS and (presumably) some scenes from CS II:
apparently, Falcom released CS III details on Osborne, Lechter, Rufus, and Claire. This suggests that Osborne survives the ending of CS and that CS II either has Rufus defect from the nobles or reveals him to have been an Ironblood all along. Why else would he be among the other three?
I haven't even read the article!

I don't blame anyone. Falcom want to promote their latest game, Gematsu want to report the news, and the only ones to whom this would be a spoiler are people in a weird position like me who have played CS, but not CS II, despite CS II being three years old.

I think I might end up getting the Vita version of CS II after all because now I'm afraid that I will be able to deduce even bigger plot points from the headlines as the marketing campaign for CS III picks up the pace.

Man, it's frustrating to be one game behind. I think I just saw CS II spoilers on the front page of Gematsu. Spoilers for the Final Chapter of CS and (presumably) some scenes from CS II:
apparently, Falcom released CS III details on Osborne, Lechter, Rufus, and Claire. This suggests that Osborne survives the ending of CS and that CS II either has Rufus defect from the nobles or reveals him to have been an Ironblood all along. Why else would he be among the other three?

If it's any consolation, Ao no Kiseki - which was released before Sen no Kiseki but chronologically takes place after - already spoiled that, anyway. So all the people who were actually up-to-date with the games would have already known that fact before Sen no Kiseki II was even announced.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno how people manage to get spoiled tbh. The only time I got spoiled is when I made the conscious decision to go on the falcom discord.
But until then I dodged xbell spoilers for years.

Ascheroth

Well, I too, have managed to stay spoilerfree so far :p
Although if a story breaks by knowing a spoiler, it's not that good writing anyway.

PK Gaming

Couple of things:

-Rean walking into the train room and the passengers visibly reacting his presence was great. We're not playing as this unassuming high school boy anymore. Gimme that 3rd goodness.

-I doubt CS3 will focus all that much on school life. The main protagonist is an instructor, several core characters aren't school children, etc. Hope the focus shifts away from Thors II asap.

-So many characters! Too many characters, tbh. I really hope they heavily focus on the core cast and have other characters appear as guests in chapters. In other words, I would prefer it if they adopted a Sky/SC way instead of trying to spread the focus evenly.

-Fuck it. Just blow up the CS1/CS2 pairings and make Alisa and Rean a couple. CS1 spends most of the game developing that relationship. CS2 makes it decisive. Yeah I know, "waifu's", but think about how much better Rean would be if he had a static love interest. Just have side scenes with Rean x (non-Alisa partner of choice) and end with both parties moving on.

-Musse seems like a low tier character.

-Class VII is looking awesome. It'd be neat if Jusis got the lead them in in one chapter, while Rean does his own thing.

-Re: Masked Guy.

-Campanella's presence means that Ouroborus is making decisive moves instead of sitting back. Maybe we'll finally get to know how the Grandmaster is? lol.

-Estelle and Joshua are coming. BELIEVE.

-It would be nice if Kloe showed up too, just to have her interact with Lechter

The trailer didn't do that much for me, but I'm looking forward to it. I think this is one of the weaker theme songs that they've done recently, but there's something about that sounds familiar. Maybe it sounds a bit 90s Falcom.

They seem to be going with animated cutscenes instead of CG this time? There seemed to be a standard sort-of-animated intro along with a fully animated cutscene (or more).

Kalor

The trailer didn't do that much for me, but I'm looking forward to it. I think this is one of the weaker theme songs that they've done recently, but there's something about that sounds familiar. Maybe it sounds a bit 90s Falcom.

They seem to be going with animated cutscenes instead of CG this time? There seemed to be a standard sort-of-animated intro along with a fully animated cutscene (or more).

Ys VIII and Tokyo Xanadu had more animated stuff so they seem to be moving towards doing more.

Damm, sorry to hear that, I just saw this on gematsu.

More about the trailer:
I like what I've seen so far of new class VII. As for Musse, considering Rean's renown in Erebonia after CS2 and the fact that he is supposed to be single, it doesn't strike me as surrealistic that he has girls like Musse after him.

Dunno how people manage to get spoiled tbh. The only time I got spoiled is when I made the conscious decision to go on the falcom discord.
But until then I dodged xbell spoilers for years.

I mean, they just described how they got spoiled: it's on the front page of Gematsu. Some types of information are easier to discern than the others, anyway.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't touched CS2 yet. Just watched the CS3 trailer, no regrets.
It's not like I expected a character as hyped as Obsorne to actually kick the bucket.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, they just described how they got spoiled: it's on the front page of Gematsu. Some types of information are easier to discern than the others, anyway.

I've been using gematsu and before that andriasang/siliconera for years and yet I still am able to only get spoiled by my own fault. Basically this attitude it's so hard to not get spoiled seems pretty weird to me.

I've been using gematsu and before that andriasang/siliconera for years and yet I still am able to only get spoiled by my own fault. Basically this attitude it's so hard to not get spoiled seems pretty weird to me.

Like I said, some type of information is much easier to discern than the others. You said you dodged Crossbell spoilers for years as a comparison, but it's hardly a similar situation. It's not like any of the Crossbell characters actually have a huge presence in the promotional material of other games. In the first place, it's not like you could immediately surmise who they are and what role they play by their mere appearance. Like, if you accidentally saw Major Crois's face on the front page of Andriasang, you wouldn't even know what you're looking at if you haven't actually played the duology.

Kurt and Juna fucking did it. They broke free from the curse of "every playable female must be reserved for MC". Even disregarding every other hype moment in the trailer, that alone leaves me pretty satisfied.

both Musse and Juna left really bad impressions here. Kurt fared much better.

I can see how Musse could draw apprehension with her seemingly hackneyed "flirtatious student" thing, but what did Juna do?

Kurt and Juna fucking did it. They broke free from the curse of "every playable female must be reserved for MC". Even disregarding every other hype moment in the trailer, that alone leaves me pretty satisfied.

It's a relief, honestly. The original Class VII is one matter, but [CS 3 trailer]
Instructor Rean also playing a significant role in all of his students' important and vulnerable moments would be a bridge too far for me

vkrili

All the new characters (except Ash) enter the story with their baggage directly connected to the way the story has progressed and how it will progress. Elliot "Music is my middle name" Craig has no presence in the story other than being Rean's Normal Friend and Olaf's son, whereas Juna is from Crossbell, Kurt is a Vander, Musse is a noble, all of which are backgrounds where you can easily surmise that they have issues with current events and have relevant things to add their thoughts to, especially in regards to Mr Annex.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
now that i calmed down and watched the trailer again, it's glorious, from the music to the amount of characters and story teased. Given how falcom handled things so far, i pretty sure it will be good.

And i'm so hyped right now that i might even buy the digital version, which i'm sure it's a big mistake since i don't know Japanese.

All the new characters (except Ash) enter the story with their baggage directly connected to the way the story has progressed and how it will progress. Elliot "Music is my middle name" Craig has no presence in the story other than being Rean's Normal Friend and Olaf's son, whereas Juna is from Crossbell, Kurt is a Vander, Musse is a noble, all of which are backgrounds where you can easily surmise that they have issues with current events and have relevant things to add their thoughts to, especially in regards to Mr Annex.

It's not like every character needs to have baggage and I do like Elliot's low-key character arc but now that I think about it, he really has no significance to the main story at all, huh.

Oh, he's [CS1]
the festival concert coordinator! That's gotta count for something.

Gu4n

The Alisa hug is when they first meet each other again. The text at the bottom reads 'Blonde haired girl'.

Although Ao's trailer generated more hype, this one is definitely better in terms of keeping the story a secret. The music at the beginning is amazing.

PK Gaming

Elise: Wait, do you want to f*ck your old brother surrogate too?!

Elliot didn't need to have story relevance in order to be a good character though!

vkrili

Elliot didn't need to have story relevance in order to be a good character though!
You're right! But there have been concerns voiced that too much time will be spent on the newblood and not enough on the vets. My point was that, going in, we already know a lot more about what these characters will be able to add to the story than we did with the OG Class VII when they were new to us. The groundwork of their arcs has already been laid out and we can already see a lot of ways for their characters to progress.

And hey, Agate made a pretty bad first impression too.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
If it's any consolation, Ao no Kiseki - which was released before Sen no Kiseki but chronologically takes place after - already spoiled that, anyway. So all the people who were actually up-to-date with the games would have already known that fact before Sen no Kiseki II was even announced.
I'm not particularly annoyed, since knowing what I know ultimately only raises further questions. CS and CS II speculation:
what's up with Osborne's miraculous ability to shrug off a shot to the heart from what looked like the same kind of anti-materiel rifle that downed a small airship in Chapter 6? Are Erebonian surgeons just that good? What made Rufus side with the Reformists instead of defending the privileges of his birthright? Does Osborne trust him or see him as a potential mole? Does Rufus' allegiance mean anything for Thors and Class VII? He and Carl were supposed to represent opposing factions on the board of directors. Did Osborne secretly control two thirds of the board and exert a hidden influence on the makeup of Class VII and its curriculum?
I'm certain that Falcom will manage to surprise me.
Well, I too, have managed to stay spoilerfree so far :p
I've been pretty good at spoiler dodging before this as well. The only exception was Cold Steel's Japanese promotional campaign that spoiled
Olivier's status as royalty
(Sky SC spoiler) shortly after I had completed the PSP version of Sky.
Although if a story breaks by knowing a spoiler, it's not that good writing anyway.
Agreed. I value gradual build up, pay off, and execution of it over the sheer shock factor of twists. There are works like Oedipus Rex out there, which only has the intended effect if you know the "twist" in advance.
There's a thumbnail with four faces on the front page of Gematsu. Simply seeing them together, next to a CS III headline allows you to come to very easy conclusions concerning the plot of CS II if you have seen the ending of CS, but haven't played CS II. You don't need to read the article for this to happen. Skimming the front page for daily news is all it takes.

Do you disagree with any of this? If you don't then what is it that makes you call my caution into question?

MKIL65

Regarding the trailer
Osborne is standing in the exact same spot, where he was once sniped. He isn't even afraid, it's like he has unlimited continues!

PK Gaming

Tita goes where the hot baths are. Next she gonna ask if Rean and Elise are married.

Wonder if "actually being a good character" will rub off on Elise. Then again, there's always the fear that Elise will end up dragging down Tita into suckitude.

Top Bottom