• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of current-gen console games @ 60 FPS...

iam220

ChackanKun said:
Dude, pc gaming has the most framerate inconsistencies of all platforms! :lol

Uh, no. It's the only platform where you can buy a new PC and enjoy all previously released titles at 60fps+.

The difference between 30fps and 60 is very noticeable, but only required for racing games.

JudgeN

iam220 said:
Uh, no. It's the only platform where you can buy a new PC and enjoy all previously released titles at 60fps+.

The difference between 30fps and 60 is very noticeable, but only required for racing games.

That depends on alot of factors my friend, its not that easy.

iam220 said:

He said inconsistent frame rates, not sub-60fps frame rates, and he's right. Unless you lock down vsync, you get pretty wild fluctuations in frame rate on the PC.

BobsRevenge said:
Play Wipeout HD in spiltscreen if you're curious about the difference. :lol

The game is, like, twice as hard to play when it runs at 30fps during it instead of 60fps.
Lol I couldn't even tell that wipeout hd went from 60fps to 30fps during splitscreen play. It was still super smooth in splitscreen I thought it was harder to play in splitscreen because I had a smaller field of view.

TheExodu5

Banned
_leech_ said:
He said inconsistent frame rates, not sub-60fps frame rates, and he's right. Unless you lock down vsync, you get pretty wild fluctuations in frame rate on the PC.

And why wouldn't you use VSync then, since you can use it in any game?

Ranger X said:
For as long as 60fps isn't a selling point, devs and publisher will stay with the "30fps is smooth enough".

I wish they did stay with "30fps is smooth enough". Instead, I get slowdown in bloody Lego Batman of all things...

iam220

_leech_ said:

Then ... uhhh ... just lock down vsync.

edit: When I dont have vsync on, and playing some older-ish games (IL2 for example). I can't really tell the difference between 200 and 120 fps, but you're right it does fluctuate a lot. As long as it doesn't fluctuate in the sub 60's then it doesn't really matter.

Games these days are simply throwing more shit around than games last gen.
The question of course is do we need it all?

Depends I guess.

Or just get a good PC and never look back.

soldat7 said:
Wipeout is actually a better game at 30fps. I wish console games would allow you to toggle the fps like on PC. I don't like the 'soap opera' look of games at 60fps for most games (racing, FPS in particular). 60fps for platformers, fighting games, and action games is great though.

Aren't soap operas shot at 24 fps?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I can tell the difference.....but i also couldn't give a flying shit.

Make a game thats made for 30fps and make sure it stays at 30 and all is fine.

JudgeN

TheExodu5 said:
And why wouldn't you use VSync then, since you can use it in any game?

I wish I could but Vsync is broken for HD 4800 series in vista :lol

Either way frames still can drop even with Vsync. PC gaming is depending on to many factors; resolution, detail in graphics, the game coding, Video card, Processor, and etc.

JudgeN said:

Either way frames still can drop even with Vsync. PC gaming is depending on to many factors; resolution, detail in graphics, the game coding, Video card, Processor, and etc.

Works fine for me.

TheExodu5

Banned
JudgeN said:

Bummer about the 4800 series. :lol

Well he was talking about back catalogue though. One of my favorite things about PC is that improving hardware gives me a reason to revisit my catalogue.

I'm playing through Mirror's Edge on my 8800GT, and to maintain 60fps, I turned off anti-aliasing and PhysX (running at 1680*1050). I'll definitely replay the game when my hardware allows for 4x AA and PhysX with no slowdown.

Colocho

Banned
This is why I think MGS2 has better visuals than MGS3, sure MGS3 has the better graphics, but MGS2's 60 FPS makes it delicious.

60 FPS > 30 FPS

Always.

The beauty of PC gaming is that you get to choose how the game runs.

Whether you're a graphics whore or someone who accepts nothing less than 120FPS, the power is in your hands, not the developer's.

Who cares if a game is running 60fps or not? What matters is how the game plays, not what framerate the game plays at. When you go see a movie in the theaters, do you bitch because it's not 60fps? No, and you'd probably be laughed out of the theater for such a complaint.

Would you really rather see developers cut or scale back gameplay elements just to maintain 60fps? You'd have to be insane to consider 60fps a benefit over better gameplay. An Empty Room with two enemies at 60fps is not better than a fully detailed room with six enemies at 30fps.

Just make sure the framerate stays locked at a specific number and everything should be fine.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Who cares if a game is running 60fps or not? What matters is how the game plays, not what framerate the game plays at

The framerate affects how the game plays and feels though. I can't stand playing an FPS at 30 or under.

Sega1991 said:
Would you really rather see developers cut or scale back gameplay elements just to maintain 60fps? You'd have to be insane to consider 60fps a benefit over better gameplay. An Empty Room with two enemies at 60fps is not better than a fully detailed room with six enemies at 30fps.
How about 65535 enemies at 60 fps?
ikusa07.jpg

I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 are more powerful than PS2, so they should be able to handle it.

skyfinch

After playing Dead Space, Grid, and Halflife on my buddy's PC @ 60fps, it hard going back to console versions. In fact, we had Dead Space running on his PC and PS3 at the exact same time and damn, the PS3 version look so choppy even though it's around 30fps. 60 just makes everything look more natural.

nincompoop said:
How about 65535 enemies at 60 fps?
ikusa07.jpg

I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 are more powerful than PS2, so they should be able to handle it.

That image doesn't mean shit, though. One samurai in that screenshot is probably a like dozen polygons with a 32x32 texture if you zoomed up close enough.

iam220

Sega1991 said:

Yes, very true .. but

30fps with six enemies where you can see every wrinkle in their clothing < 60 fps with six enemies and less detailed wrinkles ...

Just an example. To get higher framerates you don't need to sacrifice game play just IQ. Obviously, the people that don't notice the difference between 30fps and 60 this is not worth it. I really notice it, and sometimes the loss of IQ is not worth it for me either. For example I rather play crysis on high-very high @ 30fps then on medium @ 60fps. The loss of image IQ in that example is just too great.

Brofist

More like the lack of any gen 60 FPS games. As long as we want game visuals fully maxed to the edge of a console's capabilities we'll never have a gen with many games running at 60 FPS.

There's always the PC though ;)

Pein

Banned
Botolf said:
I can tell the difference between 30 and 60, but I don't really care. Aside from the PC, I've been playing games on a tube TV, so I can't say I'm particularly concerned with image quality or antialiasing. There's things infinitely worse than jaggies, such as tearing (something you can't unsee if it gets bad, no matter what).
I agree I hate jaggies and tearing more, thats something anyone can notice

Feindflug

JudgeN said:
MGS4 looked clean as shit for something sub HD, never would have noticed until someone told me.

Yep, MGS4 has some of the best IQ I've seen - the game looks absolutely amazing and crystal clear at 1080p on my Samsung LE40F86...Halo 3 on the other side still looks very impressive IMO but AA would've helped a lot the IQ.

Ninja Gaiden 2 & COD3/4/WaW also look very good considering they're sub-HD.

Back on topic though yes the lack of 60fps is disappointing this gen especially considering the horsepower of the PS360...it seems that the devs aren't even trying anymore with all this below-30fps crap we have to deal with on a lot of games this gen...today I saw for example a video from the PS3 version of FEAR 2 on Gamersyde and the frame-rate was below 20fps in the more crowded situations, hopefully this was an old demo because I won't buy the game if the frame -rate is in that condition in the final version.

30fps is smooth enough in console gaming AFAIC.

I want cheap hardware that gives me brilliant graphics at an acceptable framerate. Expecting an affordable console to have the framerate AND image quality of a top tier PC is just plain fucking stupid.

soldat7

skyfinch said:
After playing Dead Space, Grid, and Halflife on my buddy's PC @ 60fps, it hard going back to console versions. In fact, we had Dead Space running on his PC and PS3 at the exact same time and damn, the PS3 version look so choppy even though it's around 30fps. 60 just makes everything look more natural.

Animations tend to look more natural at 60fps, but for me 60fps games tend to feel more 'arcadey' and unnatural overall than games at 30fps. It's really hard to explain; COD4 even makes me motion sick when I play it.

Not everyone cares, so it's a low priority.

However, even the vast SD majority loves and can see HD resolutions somehow, so that's a must.

Dyno said:
I'm hoping next gen. stays about the same when it comes to graphics but makes 60 fps the standard.
Sounds like my wish 10 years ago and 5 years ago.
Sega1991 said:
No, but a 60fps room with six enemies of half that detail might be.

george_us

Eh 60 is great but I'll take 30 with nice motion blur ala Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Ironically I thought both of those games ran at 60 when I first played them.

inner-G

Banned
I notice it more when I'm 1" from the monitor at my PC.

I don't really notice it at all 12 feet away on the couch.

Zeliard

~Devil Trigger~ said:
nobody(but a few) gives a fuck.

Its not a big deal at all

It's not a big deal when you're not familiar with playing games at 60 FPS, yeah. But FPS has a pretty substantial impact on both visuals and gameplay, so it is a big deal. Anyone who's played both for any good amount of time can very easily tell when a game is running at 60 FPS and when it's running at 30. Let's not settle for mediocrity, yes?

sinnergy

Before PS3, Xbox 360 was Xbox 1.5, PS3 would change that all, games running at 60 frames per sec etc...

I remember lots of posts about that, also on this forum.

Dibbz

Last gen wasn't any better.

Why do people expect that with every new generation there will be more games at 60fps?

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So can anyone post good games to compare between 30fps and 60 fps? And what to look for? I'm afraid that if i finally know what to look for or how to tell the difference i'm going to go on nerd tangents about how inferior 30fps is afterwards.

Top Bottom