• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of current-gen console games @ 60 FPS...

Linkzg said:
Bioshock is 60 on PC; even on 360 if you turn off the frame rate limiting, it gets a boost past 30. Not only is it 60, but it is much better for it. It's a good thing that your example already devalues your statement. And I didn't even need to come up with a large counter argument or anything.

Aaand we're off!

The reason I used Bioshock as an example is because off that option. The game is decidedly not better in 60 fps. The smoothness kills the cinematic look the game is going for. This, (coupled with the 360's inability to maintain a constant 60) led to this being an option rather than a default.

I maintain (and most non-videophiles would agree) that 60fps isn't always appropriate for every game, Bioshock being a prime example.

M3d10n said:
V-sync. Without it, you get random(min, max) framerate. To get sync'ed 40fps you need a 120Hz screen, and for 50fps you need 100Hz.

One thing I'd like to have on a videocard's control panel is a framerate limiter. It would be nice for making the experience more consistent when the rig isn't all up to date. But I guess GPU makers depend on the mixed emotions when players enter empty rooms or look down and their framerates shoot up for a moment.

thnx! always wanted to know that.

iam220

civilstrife said:
Aaand we're off!

The reason I used Bioshock as an example is because off that option. The game is decidedly not better in 60 fps. The smoothness kills the cinematic look the game is going for. This, (coupled with the 360's inability to maintain a constant 60) led to this being an option rather than a default.

I maintain (and most non-videophiles would agree) that 60fps isn't always appropriate for every game, Bioshock being a prime example.

Are you talking about unlocked bioshok frames on 360 vs locked bioshock frames on 360 or are you talking about bioshock 30fps vs bioshock 60fps. Because those are two entirely different things.

Dibbz said:
Last gen wasn't any better.

Why do people expect that with every new generation there will be more games at 60fps?

Except it was. It was much better. 60fps was close to becoming the accepted norm on consoles around 2000-2 for PS2 and Dreamcast games. Last generation, had a much, much higher percentage of 60fps games.

Haunted

jett said:
Clearly, clearly, you have NOT played Wipeout HD. Splitscreen runs at 30fps, and its not only borderline unplayable after tasting the sweetness of 60fps, it's also way, WAY uglier.
Seriously, I'm a local multiplayer whore and I can't bear to play that game splitscreen.

Anyone claiming not to see the difference, play Wipeout.

Wasn't there a comparison video 24 vs 30 vs 60fps floating around somewhere?

traveler

Not Wario
Neo C. said:
How is this possible? Movies have motion blur, games usually haven't. I think it's placebo effect in your case.:lol

Yeah, like I said, there's probably no good reason for it. It's just the way I am.

kodt

Banned
civilstrife said:
Aaand we're off!

I don't agree.

Higher FPS = smoother gameplay = more immersive. Which is probably always better in FPS games. I don't think the cinematic look really applies when you are playing. It is not supposed to be like a movie it is supposed to be a game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just read the first couple of posts in this thread and it's already pissing me off.

Proc said:
I still don't think there is much to complain about with amount you are investing into the console. To play a game that looks as good as killzone 2 at 720p/30fps is pretty damn impressive for a ~$399 investment.

Developers are only going to lead by example so this trend will continue. The top selling 360/ps3 games of 2008 weren't running at 720p+ & 60fps. The console graphical expectations are firmly rooted at this point.

COD: WAW and Mario Kart: Wii were the top two selling titles of 2008. Both ran at 60fps.

Ifrit

I obviously prefer 60 fps over 30 fps any day, but if a game has a stable 30 fps count like Gears of War or Resident Evil 4 then I'm all for it.

civilstrife said:
Aaand we're off!

Actually, so far we have one person saying that they agree that 60 fps is better in Bioshock. So that's two, including me, saying that Bioshock at 60 fps is better than at 30 fps--clearly it isn't decided, at all.

The reason that Bioshock has that option isn't to maintain a cinematic look, it's to eliminate v-sync. It would just as much nonsense to say Saint's Row 1/2 have the option to keep their cinematic flair as well. Even with the option to lock it at 30 fps turned on, Bioshock on the 360 still had massive amounts of slowdown at times of action. And it also doesn't help your 'cinematic option' argument when that option isn't present in the PC version in any form whatsoever. Again, it's purely because of the 360 (and potentially PS3, but I haven't played that version) hardware limits that these options are present.

brunoa76 said:
Only Algonquin ?

I hope to play a GTA game with at least a constant 30 fps one day...

The GTA 3 series play better than ever with modern PC hardware. A constant 60fps, high resolutions and massive draw distances make them much more appealing than they ever were. They're like entirely new games.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
civilstrife said:
Aaand we're off!

Aside from the physics the game looks brilliant at 60.

iam220

RobertM said:
Skate 30 fps > Skate 2 60 fps personally.

654f83.jpg

Nirolak said:
Probably never, because the number of people who care about graphics tends to vastly outweigh the people who care about the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps.

I mean, for every foreseeable generation right now you can get better graphics by lowering the framerate.
Well theres really two milestones that we'll hit in the next 2-3 generations of consoles:

- True 1080p graphics with AA+AF. Something 4x-8x more powerful than the current gen's graphics cards would probably do the trick. It shouldn't be too far off, and since TV resolutions won't be going above 1080p, future GFX cards can put all of their additional processing power into shaders, polygons, etc. once the 1080p@60FPS barrier is hit.

- Raytracing. Once we have hardware that can do 1080p raytracing @ 60 FPS, then the limit on polygon detail will literally be infinite. John Carmack is planning on doing raytracing stuff for id tech 6 (the engine after Rage/Doom 4), so I don't think this is too far off. Intel and AMD are both hard at work at hardware solutions to raytracing as well. The stuff that I've seen that can be done with raytracing is simply amazing.

Minsc

Gold Member
Haunted said:
Seriously, I'm a local multiplayer whore and I can't bear to play that game splitscreen.

Anyone claiming not to see the difference, play Wipeout.

Wasn't there a comparison video 24 vs 30 vs 60fps floating around somewhere?

Framerate article... with the holy grail of framerate comparison software located inside (FPS Compare, towards the bottom there's a direct link to download, only that site has the author's permission so I'm not hot linking to it).

Edit: Here's a description of what it does:

FPS Compare shows the same scene rendered side by side in a split-screen arrangement, but each side is running at a different frame rate. When launching the new FPS Compare program, I recommend pressing F2 to change the scene to one more familiar to gaming. Now by staring at the middle of your screen, you should be able to detect that the portion on the left (at ~60FPS) appears smoother than the portion on the right (at ~30FPS). Even if the difference is not major to your eyes, many people do notice that there is at least some difference - something which refutes the fact that human eyes cannot notice differences in smoothness at an FPS over 30.

Neo C.

traveler said:
Yeah, like I said, there's probably no good reason for it. It's just the way I am.
Perhaps it's nostalgia. Like most us, you probably played a lot of games with low framerate as a child. Therefore 60fps don't feel like the "norm".

Now I realize that a lot of the games which impressed me graphically in the 16bit era are those with 60fps.

Tain

If Microsoft mandated that every 360 game needed to run at 60fps in order to be approved, I would... honestly, not mind all that much.

If you see two different games next to each other, one running at 30fps and the other at 60fps.

You'll notice the difference for ever after that.

I can tell 100% when a game runs at 60. Dark Sector and Gears 1 would randomly bump up to 60 when you're tucked in a corner without much geometry on screen at all. Then drop back down once you return to normal play.

Banned
_leech_ said:
Well, 60fps is always ideal but 30fps is still smooth. You only really start noticing things becoming stuttery when you get into the sub-20fps range.
30fps is not smooth. You get double-images/stuttering with 30fps movement on a 60Hz display.

Feindflug said:
Yep, MGS4 has some of the best IQ I've seen - the game looks absolutely amazing and crystal clear at 1080p on my Samsung LE40F86...Halo 3 on the other side still looks very impressive IMO but AA would've helped a lot the IQ.
You know, it fascinates me how people can look at the same image and come to drastically different conclusions regarding image quality. To me, while the art in MGS4 was very good, I wouldn't have said the image quality was good, as it was blurred to the point of looking almost out of focus and suffered from typical upscaling artefacts. The framerate was very poor as well. (frequently sub-30fps)

I see no reason why we shouldn't have all games running at 60fps this generation. The hardware is powerful enough, but most developers seem to be focusing on textures/effects instead.

While it's not something you can show in screenshots (and usually online videos), running at 60fps is a huge improvement to the image quality of any game.

It doesn't matter if it's fast-paced or not, 60fps is always preferable to 30fps. Even the most basic 2D games would benefit from 60fps. (it's actually a huge annoyance of mine that we're seeing 2D games on XBLA/PSN that aren't 1080p or 60fps)

I can't wait for Rage to show everyone how it should be done.

Yazus

All next gen games should be at 60FPS locked. Man when I upgraded to 9800GT, playing WoW from 15FPS to 150FPS constant was a godsend. That really tought me the difference (who wouldnt see it lol)

shpankey

not an idiot
ghst said:
i'd say more around high 40's/low 50's.

jesus fraps, what have you done to me?
is that even possible on a console? i thought it was 60 or 30 or 15 or 7 (?). or does it work like a pc, if they have vsync off the fps are open?

Xav

I personally want my games to run as well as they look, I totally love it when games go for 60FPS. Graphics age, framerate does not. I think the Dreamcast has aged really well and that's mainly thanks to all the games running at 60FPS in my opinion.
Honestly have some of you ever seen a 60FPS game and a 30FPS side by side, it's a bloody night and day.

Zoc

"Console" and "30fpw" just go together in my mind. It doesn't stop me from buying lots of console games, it just gives me something to look forward to when I finally put together a gaming PC.

Log4Girlz

Every generation its the same fucking shit, we're promised 60fps games, and we always get 30 for the VAST MAJORITY of titles. You can pack twice as much detail into a game if it runs at 30fps as opposed to 60 or put in half as much work in tweaking your engine. So we won't be seeing 60fps in most games for a good long time.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
infinityBCRT said:
- Raytracing. Once we have hardware that can do 1080p raytracing @ 60 FPS, then the limit on polygon detail will literally be infinite. John Carmack is planning on doing raytracing stuff for id tech 6 (the engine after Rage/Doom 4), so I don't think this is too far off. Intel and AMD are both hard at work at hardware solutions to raytracing as well. The stuff that I've seen that can be done with raytracing is simply amazing.
I strongly suggest that you don't expect that too much or too soon (Intel's most recent efforts yield Enemy Territory: Quake Wars running in 720p@14-29FPS... it was running on a 16-core 2.93GHz system)
Tain said:
If Microsoft mandated that every 360 game needed to run at 60fps in order to be approved, I would... honestly, not mind all that much.
You would get 10% of the current number of games though.

And several devs would fold.

itxaka

Defeatist
I don't mind as far as I get LOCKED framerates.

I rather have 60 fps, but if they cannot deliver with it, just give me 30 fps locked. Not higher not lower, LOCKED. I hate the "jumping framerate". I hate it.

Just fire up any Tom clancy's game that has night vision and see the difference between night vision and normal vision

Ysiadmihi

Banned
This thread reminds me of playing Excite Truck. The game runs at 60fps in certain spots but drops back down to 30 soon after. It's incredibly disappointing because it looks so much better at 60.

AKS

BobsRevenge said:
Yeah man, if that game was in 720p with some 2x AA it would've been gorgeous aside from the horrible, horrible faces they slapped onto the characters.

edit: @JudgeN, I thought the game looked muddy as shit the first time I saw it and then when I was told it wasn't actually 720p I was like "OH! That's what that was." It kind of looks clean, but certainly not as clean as it would at 720p. I thought on the whole MGS4 was a pretty ugly game, and the sub-HD resolution had a lot to do with that along with the muted colors where one color pretty much took over the screen. It all just looked very muddy to me a lot of the time. There were a few scenes that were absolutely jaw-dropping though, but those were exceptions to the general ugliness of the game.

Metal Gear games consistently have had a limited palate. Your preference is probably due to an artistic preference for colorful games rather than an issue with resolution.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
soldat7 said:
Wipeout is actually a better game at 30fps. I wish console games would allow you to toggle the fps like on PC. I don't like the 'soap opera' look of games at 60fps for most games (racing, FPS in particular). 60fps for platformers, fighting games, and action games is great though.
LoL oh my...

VNZ

Sega1991 said:
nincompoop said:
How about 65535 enemies at 60 fps?
ikusa07.jpg

I'm pretty sure the 360 and PS3 are more powerful than PS2, so they should be able to handle it.
That image doesn't mean shit, though. One samurai in that screenshot is probably a like dozen polygons with a 32x32 texture if you zoomed up close enough.
That image means a lot: In videogames, I'll always take quantity over quality.

KevinCow

Banned
I just wish stable framerates would be the norm. Nothing pulls me out of a game experience like a sudden framerate drop.
Well, almost nothing; pop-in bugs me too.

I've come to terms with the fact that game developers would rather make their games look pretty in screens than make them run at 60fps. But for fuck's sake, at least make it so they don't drop below 30.

Having just played a few hours of an old favourite, Timesplitters 2 with friends, I can safely say that 60FPS makes a huge difference. It was like a (very nice) slap in the face after playing Halo 3.

Nicer visuals are one thing, but I think if a developer challeneges themselves and is talented enough, both can be achieved. Just look at COD4, the Prime trilogy or F-Zero GX, for instance. All 60FPS games, all absolutely beautiful.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dizzle24 said:
Why aren't there more games available that run at 60 frames per second? I mean.. seriously.

2 out of my collection of 13 PS3 games are running around 60 frames per second; Devil May Cry 4 and Burnout Paradise.

Why is this such a difficult task for current generation game developers?

When can we expect most, if not all games to be running at this speed on consoles?

It is not a difficult task for current generation game developers to create a 60fps game. However, it is a difficult task for current generation game developers to create a 60fps game that competes graphically with 30fps competition.

There is a tradeoff between graphical fidelity and frame rate. The more polygons and textures in your game, the more negative impact on frame rate.

At a simplified high level*, a 30fps game can have roughly twice as many polys and twice as much texture detail as a 60fps game.

The market, in general, appears to prefer graphical fidelity over frame rate. Some evidence of this is that screenshot and visual fidelity discussions on GAF far outweigh discussions regarding frame rates. Mass market consumers also seem less concerned with frame rate (including less concern about unstable frame rates) in my anecdotal experience, preferring instead visual quality.

It is also much more tangible for publishers to demonstrate graphical fidelity than frame rate, and therefore much easier to use it as a selling point. Given consumer preferences and this ability to play to this preference via visual marketing, it is commercially much more sensible to aim for "better graphics" than "better frame rate" for a lot of games.

Because of this, its unlikely that games aiming for a realistic look will target higher frame rates such as 60fps until realism or near realism itself can be achieved via CPU and GPU capability at 60fps.

A lot of stylised games however will likely increasingly hit 60fps as technology and platform hardware improves as they will increasingly be able to achieve their aesthetic with CPU and GPU capacity to spare.

* there are a lot of factors affecting what the exact impact of more polys and textures will be on frame rate, and it is especially dependent on specific hardware abilities. However for the purposes of this discussion we can make this assumption, and at the very least can state that a 30fps game always has the opportunity to have more polys and texture fidelity than a 60fps whatever the actual factor.

Grayman

Dizzle24 said:
Why aren't there more games available that run at 60 frames per second? I mean.. seriously.

2 out of my collection of 13 PS3 games are running around 60 frames per second; Devil May Cry 4 and Burnout Paradise.

Why is this such a difficult task for current generation game developers?

When can we expect most, if not all games to be running at this speed on consoles?
I am starting to think that all games will never run at 60fps or better on consoles. I used to preach turn down the details like it was a PC game but I have noticed that many of the best looking games already run at 60(or are uncharted/killzone/gears). I think that the talent and resources may not be there and that making most of the 30 and below games a steady 60 would take such a large drop off that they would not be competitive.

bj00rn_

Banned
civilstrife said:
Aaand we're off!

Exactly. Good to see that I'm not alone with that opinion. And that's why I recently hated World at War as well; couldn't stand the 60fps. I would by far prefer 30fps and more detail/effects.

senahorse

JudgeN said:
Vista 64 bit or 32?

I got 64

Shit mines doesn't work for shit and it makes me angry.

Vista 64 and 4870X2 here, vsync works fine for me.

If you can't get it working through the game or CCC try the newest ATI tray tool or D3D Overrider, one of them will work for you ;)

Raistlin

DMeisterJ said:
But I really do care, and I'd like to know how I could notice the difference. I have wonderful eyesight so it can't be that.

Eyesight (ie. resolution) and your brain's processing of motion sensory are two different things.

dionusos

Banned
JudgeN said:
MGS4 looked clean as shit for something sub HD, never would have noticed until someone told me.
The real beauty of MGS4 is something often overlooked: there is no graphical pop-in whatsoever!!!!

VNZ said:
That image means a lot: In videogames, I'll always take quantity over quality.

I probably don't have to tell you that there's tons of people out there who want the exact opposite, right?

Besides, I'd argue that it's not so much graphics that bog down framerates nowadays - it's things like physics, complex artificial intelligence, etc. When I see a framerate in a game grind to a halt nowadays it's rarely because there's too much on screen - it's more because of the internals of what is happening on that screen.

You see it all the time. A game will show you a thousand static objects and the framerate is fine, but once it starts treating them as physics objects or gives them AI, the framerate goes to shit because calculating all of that data is too much for the system to handle - but the game is still well within the abilities of the GPU.

Hence my initial comment of "cutting gameplay features".

And while that takes us back to the samurai screenshot again with its 65,000 soldiers or whatever, I'm willing to bet that their AI is ridiculously simple. It certainly doesn't look very fun.

Haunted

Minsc said:
Framerate article... with the holy grail of framerate comparison software located inside (FPS Compare, towards the bottom there's a direct link to download, only that site has the author's permission so I'm not hot linking to it).

Edit: Here's a description of what it does:
Should be linked to in the OP so people who claim "I can't see the difference" can check it out.

Top Bottom