• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

dracula_x

it seems Chris Kohler liked the game:

FhkpQqW.png

good review also https://www.wired.com/2016/12/the-last-guardian-review/

I'm surprised about the oudated comments. Is TR Reboot an outdated game because it has plataforming and physic based puzzles (real bad puzzles, I must add).

What exactly makes TLG outdated. I feel the outdated comments comes from the fact that the games didn't changed it's vision fron 10 years ago. But that dosn't mean it's outdated...

It's a bit weird to me. I suppose it's a matter of expectations for some reviewers. Where an indie game wouldn't get knocked for having "outdated" mechanics and/or visuals, a big budget title feels the brunt of those criticisms.

But would you buy a sequel with those controls?
Absolutely. I double dipped on Ico/SOTC HD when they came to PS3 and already preordered TLG. The weighty, kind of clumsy movement of Wander really sold the overwhelming struggle against the colossi. The boy's movement here seems to impart the same, a mere boy alongside this massive creature against dangerous odds

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yes they were. Simply getting on a horse was laughably clunky and somehow much worse than 1998's Ocarina of Time (among many other things).

You had trouble getting on Argo? I still think SotC's horse controls are better than the good majority of games that came after it. I wish the horse in the Witcher 3 was half as good as SotC's.

SomTervo

Why is it more impressive? This isn't an actual AI that "learns"; The programming starts at a 100% completion state and is programmed to be more imprecise. That's the way programming works.

It's still:
if command == A, then action = B
where B =
[ A 10% of the time at hour 1
A 30% of the time at hour 2
A 75% of the time at hour 3
A 95% of the time at hour >= 4]

All this does is extend the time the user has to spend on each possible solution. If there are a pool of 3 different possible solutions and the user takes about 2 minutes to interact with each solution on direct input, it just forces the user to interact multiple times, even beyond what appeared to be fail states.

Basically, if you think you have a solution and you point the command at that solution and system carries out the command but results in a non-continuing state, the user is required to input that state an indefinite number of times for possible success states.

I think you're doing it a disservice. It's said that you can interact with it in a lot of different ways and that the 'relationship' builds so that it behaves differently depending on the player's input. So basically like

if (command == A AND Trico['fed by player more than twice' == true, 'healed by player more than twice' == true, 'saved from trap by player' == true, [etc] ) {
action = B;
} else {
action = null
}

Even that's probably a gross oversimplification.

Congratulations to Ueda and the team - I've been a massive fan of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for years, I can't wait to experience this game! Great reviews so far. Every time someone mentions the outlier low review scores I remember Brad Shoemaker unable to figure out how to get onto the horse in the SOTC quick look (for several minutes) and remember that these games just aren't for everyone.

.... no offense but lets just leave it at might not be your type of game....

Games with good controls? Don't even remind me of Ico's platforming which was demolished by Prince of Persia's controls only a year or so later. Or that one jump in SotC before the second boss, in which everyone I watched online constantly falls in the water because the controls can't up with simple movement.

Canceled my preorder, at least im attempting to, ordered SOTC and will make that my winter break game I guess. Might pick of TLG if users/gaf love it on sale

ViciousDS

Banned
got my pre-order in for best buy.....had so many reward points from black friday that I didn't even have to pay for it lol. Can't fucking wait for tomorrow.

I'm going to cry.....a lot of man tears.....no!!!!!!!

Games with good controls? Don't even remind me of Ico's platforming which was demolished by Prince of Persia's controls only a year or so later. Or that one jump in SotC before the second boss, in which everyone I watched online constantly falls in the water because the controls can't up with simple movement.

There was no water involving the second boss....it was a horse/4 legged beast that all you had to do was cross the bridge on the horse and down a ramp

Not surprising to see a range of scores given how Ico and Shadow had their quirks. Having loved SotC I will definitely be playing this and it is encouraging to see it getting high scores.

SomTervo

Why does intent matter here? If I design a shooter where there's a random chance that your gun explodes in your hands and instantly kills you, does the fact I intended to do that make the game any less frustrating?

Not to mention AI being "unresponsive" is a cardinal sin in a game like this. It's all about interacting with trico. If you're trying to signal to trico and it doesn't even acknowledge you (doesn't look at you and tilt it's head, doesn't back away, doesn't do anything), then that's actively hindering the point of the game.

I'm not talking about intent: I'm talking about how the game apparently actually works. Like it's actually programmed that way. People who played it in the Early Impressions thread described it like this, I'm not just going off Ueda's "intent" (i.e. how he said it works).

Plus, the idea is that Trico's responsiveness is fluid based on the player's actions. It's not something you can't control (to an extent and with caveats).

mattp

I am really impressed! Usually games that have been in very long development cycle or been hyped to death don't usually meet expectations. I am excited to play this later this month.

i think the difference, here, is all of the delays were purely technical
the actual game design has been the same since day one. there was no development hell of them trying to find the game, or hone mechanics, make it fun etc etc

it was purely "can we get the game working smoothly"

Games with good controls? Don't even remind me of Ico's platforming which was demolished by Prince of Persia's controls only a year or so later.
Sands of Time was influenced by Ico. Jordan Mechner said so himself

And comparing the platforming of Prince of Persia to Ico is like comparing Burnout out to Gran Turismo because they both have driving

Unknown?

Canceled my preorder, at least im attempting to, ordered SOTC and will make that my winter break game I guess. Might pick of TLG if users/gaf love it on sale
Wtf is wrong with people?! Did it really need to be Uncharted good on MC for people to buy? This is why all games are the same in the AAA category.

dragons dogma was easily influenced by SotC for its more giant beasts where you climbed them and latched on.
And Halo, Half Life 2, Snake Eater, Uncharted and The Last of Us, the Souls games, and myriad more. Ueda's games were hugely influential on many people's favorite games

jonno394

Wtf is wrong with people?! Did it really need to be Uncharted good on MC for people to buy? This is why all games are the same in the AAA category.

Maybe after the reviews, some people just don't like the sound of the game now? I knew this game was about companionship between a boy and a beast but I didn't realise how focused on the virtual pet and training this game would actually be. "Teaching" it how to do things, often taking in excess of 10-20 minutes isn't what I want, hence why I'm no longer buying.

i dont know why people are complaining, it was a niche game from the start, and its clear that it is a team ico game, people should like it whatever the scores are high or low. It will probably be a cult hit anyways, so enjoy it and sell it if you didnt like it.

There was no water involving the second boss....it was a horse that all you had to do was cross the bridge on the horse and down a ramp

The boss with the hammer has one specific jump right before you get on its plateau, which is overly complicated through unintuitive controls which were inferior to many N64/PS1 platformers (punishing you with an annoyingly long fall into water). When I see reviews for TLG saying that the solutions are obvious but overly complicated and clunky to pull off, it's the exact problem pf their past games. But that has nothing to do with age, considering that there are tons of games older than Team ICO's which weren't this clunky and probably play better than TLG does. Shit controls are shit controls, got nothing to do with ,,oh lol it's like the mid 2000s".

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Maybe after the reviews, some people just don't like the sound of the game now? I knew this game was about companionship between a boy and a beast but I didn't realise how focused on the virtual pet and training this game would actually be. "Teaching" it how to do things, often taking in excess of 10-20 minutes isn't what I want, hence why I'm no longer buying.

What did you honestly think this game was about? I mean they have been pushing what you don't like since it was re announced. I don't much care if you don't like the idea but I seriously wonder what people were actually expecting this game to be other than what it obviously is. They never misrepresented this game as anything but what it turned out to be.

Bulgar

Neo Member
Why are people so hard on anyone disliking the controls calling them out to be bad at video games because they didn't click with them?
You guys know Team ICO games have the most divisive controls and it makes or breaks the game for many. I loved SotC as a game but hated the controls. They weren't hard just frustrating and I dont think frustration is what I want to feel when I wan't to put in a game and relax for an hour or two. It was a major point in most review for both team ICO games and it seems they didn't care and made the game they wanted to make which is good for them. However, they did this knowing many would receive criticism on the control scheme yet again.

brau

So did reviewers mention anything about them having that 1.1 update? Seems like that patch helps with performance?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
i dont know why people are complaining, it was a niche game from the start, and its clear that it is a team ico game, people should like it whatever the scores are high or low. It will probably be a cult hit anyways, so enjoy it and sell it if you didnt like it.

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

In what world is The Last Guardian "niche"? With the critically acclaimed Ico and SOTC as part of this "series", they've been building hype for TLG for YEARS. They've given this the same marketing push that they gave No Man's Sky! Even the delays were huge deals that required special announcements.

The Last Guardian is as AAA as it gets.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
7 perfect scores (fantastic)
33 between 8 - 9.3 (very good to excellent)
9 between 7 - 7.5 (good)
6 below 6.5 (Ok-ish)

Am I in the wrong thread or has the world gone fuckin' crazy?

... Looks like a must buy to me.

No, Team Ico was just always bad at fundamental gameplay. Their games play worse than most good N64/PS1 games and the ,,it's like from a different era"-exuse is a joke.

What? I don't think you remember just how unforgivably shitty every 3D platformer of that era was, barring a handful of N64 games.

Climbing those behemoths in SOTC pissed over anything on PS1.

I would have agreed had you said the controls were crappy for the PS3 era

Top Bottom