• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

jonno394

What did you honestly think this game was about? I mean they have been pushing what you don't like since it was re announced. I don't much care if you don't like the idea but I seriously wonder what people were actually expecting this game to be other than what it obviously is. They never misrepresented this game as anything but what it turned out to be.

A) I didn't read much about this game in its long priducyuon. Was just gonna buy it on the strength of ico and sotc. B) I expected it to be like icon but yorda replaced by the creature. I didn't expect virtual pet management and training sessions, which he sometimes doesn't even listen to :/

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The boss with the hammer has one specific jump right before you get on its plateau, which is overly complicated through unintuitive controls which were inferior to many N64/PS1 platformers (punishing you with an annoyingly long fall into water). When I see reviews for TLG saying that the solutions are obvious but overly complicated and clunky to pull off, it's the exact problem pf their past games. But that has nothing to do with age, considering that there are tons of games older than Team ICO's which weren't this clunky and probably play better than TLG does. Shit controls are shit controls, got nothing to do with ,,oh lol it's like the mid 2000s".

Man really? The control scheme for Wander was pretty damn basic and bare bones. I will say this again, they were not bad controls because you didn't like them. People like me weren't speed running the Colossi, taking advantadge of the physics engine and so on to do a lot of amazing things with bad controls. Quite the opposite as I felt the controls were wonderful once you figured them out. You could quite literally surf on the tops of Colossi as they were fighting and trying to shake you off to save your grip meter.

barit

1d 4h till unlock! Can't wait playing this beauty finally. Awesome Reviews so far. I'm happy for Team ICO
and Shu ;)

Bulgar

Neo Member
7 perfect scores (fantastic)
33 between 8 - 9.3 (very good to excellent)
9 between 7 - 7.5 (good)
6 below 6.5 (Ok-ish)

Am I in the wrong thread or has the world gone fuckin' crazy?

After more than 10 years people are expecting unrealistic 10's across the board. You know I don't think we will see anything like the Last Guardian or FFXV again anytime soon. The fact that those games exist is a miracle.

prwxv3

I... I
M4oe5vt.gif

In what world is The Last Guardian "niche"? With the critically acclaimed Ico and SOTC as part of this "series", they've been building hype for TLG for YEARS. They've given this the same marketing push that they gave No Man's Sky! Even the delays were huge deals that required special announcements.

The Last Guardian is as AAA as it gets.

Wat. Please tell me this is a fucking joke.

Can't wait

The more negative reviews seem to be that it controls like a Team ICO game, which is far from a negative for me. A lot of people take issue with SOTC's controls but I always found it a pleasure to play

A) I didn't read much about this game in its long priducyuon. Was just gonna buy it on the strength of ico and sotc. B) I expected it to be like icon but yorda replaced by the creature. I didn't expect virtual pet management and training sessions, which he sometimes doesn't even listen to :/
That's basically what it is, down to the interconnected level design of Ico's castle

Unknown?

Maybe after the reviews, some people just don't like the sound of the game now? I knew this game was about companionship between a boy and a beast but I didn't realise how focused on the virtual pet and training this game would actually be. "Teaching" it how to do things, often taking in excess of 10-20 minutes isn't what I want, hence why I'm no longer buying.
And that isn't most people's experiences but the guy I specifically quoted was letting reviews influence him despite most people liking it. He just assumed the bad reviews were more weighty than the vast majority of good. What did it need a 90 MC score for people to try it? For fucks sake their previous games wouldn't even get an 80 MC score in this day and age yet we have fans of those not even trying this new one.

BigEmil

I was thinking people of today will heavily criticise controls etc if it's not 100% to their liking but these reviews doing much better than I expected :)

brau

Review scores for a game only matter if I agree with them.

/s

This does make sense to a certain extent. Right? You follow most reviewers that you can relate to. The ones that have share the same or at least a few things in common. I know i do look for people that can give me impressions that i can trust because they look for the same things i look for in games.

Wabba

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

In what world is The Last Guardian "niche"? With the critically acclaimed Ico and SOTC as part of this "series", they've been building hype for TLG for YEARS. They've given this the same marketing push that they gave No Man's Sky! Even the delays were huge deals that required special announcements.

I would not call The Last Guardian AAA. It a niche genre, a puzzle genre that doesn't appeal to the mainstream gaming community. Previous games success dont have anything to do about it.

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

In what world is The Last Guardian "niche"? With the critically acclaimed Ico and SOTC as part of this "series", they've been building hype for TLG for YEARS. They've given this the same marketing push that they gave No Man's Sky! Even the delays were huge deals that required special announcement.

Really? I consider my self as a "AAA brainless", and have played ico and sotc in ps2 era, and i dont see my self sugesting those games to someone who like a "plataform game" but sure i would to any one who liked inside.

Maybe its just my perception that this game doesnt look like a AAA, but i cannot recomend it to everyone, just a tiny small base of friends would enjoy it

mdubs

Banned
After reading the impressions I cancelled my preorder, the recurring concerns about the frustration in many of the reviews make me wary enough to borrow from the library first and then potentially pick it up when it goes on sale. With FFXV already here and Dead Rising 4 on the way there is already enough stuff to play.

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

Huh? No Man's Sky, even with the talk show appearances, wasn't a huge AAA game. As for the same marketing push, get back to me when we see Ueda sitting down to chat with Colbert and Conan about his new game. It's a puzzle platformer, that's pretty fucking niche.

*looks at tag*

Never mind.

I'm surprised the terrible framerate doesn't get it knocked more. It looks like a slideshow at times on OG PS4. Turned into a hard pass for me.

Dmonzy

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

I don't think you know what niche means lol

7 perfect scores (fantastic)
33 between 8 - 9.3 (very good to excellent)
9 between 7 - 7.5 (good)
6 below 6.5 (Ok-ish)

Am I in the wrong thread or has the world gone fuckin' crazy?

... Looks like a must buy to me.
This ain't our old forum man...This is GAF

anything below a 90 is not living up to the hype.

HStallion

This ain't our old forum man...This is GAF

anything below a 90 is not living up to the hype.

Anything under 90 should have the developers lined up and shot then burn their studio to the ground and salt the earth afterwards. Only the best for NeoGAF.

Exile20

Absolutely. I double dipped on Ico/SOTC HD when they came to PS3 and already preordered TLG. The weighty, kind of clumsy movement of Wander really sold the overwhelming struggle against the colossi. The boy's movement here seems to impart the same, a mere boy alongside this massive creature against dangerous odds
Personal preference i guess. I loved SOTC but the controls were not ideal even when it was released but I didn't harp on them because there was not a real baseline at the time I played the game. But now in 2016 going back to the controls would bug me too much.

Unknown?

After reading the impressions I cancelled my preorder, the recurring concerns about the frustration in many of the reviews make me wary enough to borrow from the library first and then potentially pick it up when it goes on sale. With FFXV already here and Dead Rising 4 on the way there is already enough stuff to play.
FFXV didn't get as many perfect scores. Lol Guess FFXV had more concerns to me.

In all seriousness. Don't get this. I guess people really do only care about low scores and not praise.

What? I don't think you remember just how unforgivably shitty every 3D platformer of that era was, barring a handful of N64 games.

Climbing those behemoths in SOTC pissed over anything on PS1.

I would have agreed had you said the controls were crappy for the PS3 era

I can go back playing Banjo Kazooie just fine, which I did, excluding one stage (which has also always been frustrating junk back in the day). Now things like the final platforming section in ICO on the other hand? Borderline unplayable and never not frustrating to begin with.

Why are people so hard on anyone disliking the controls calling them out to be bad at video games because they didn't click with them?
You guys know Team ICO games have the most divisive controls and it makes or breaks the game for many. I loved SotC as a game but hated the controls. They weren't hard just frustrating and I dont think frustration is what I want to feel when I wan't to put in a game and relax for an hour or two. It was a major point in most review for both team ICO games and it seems they didn't care and made the game they wanted to make which is good for them. However, they did this knowing many would receive criticism on the control scheme yet again.

I also don't even hate the games, but if you think some of their jank (and now TLG's apparently) was just ,,normal for its time", you remember wrong.

StoveOven

Banned
I can go back playing Banjo Kazooie just fine, wich I did, excluding one stage (which has also always been frustrating junk back in the day). Now things like the final platforming section in ICO on the other hand? Borderline unplayable.

I played it two weeks ago and had no problems, but to each his own

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I...
M4oe5vt.gif

Yeah no. No it isn't.

HStallion

I can go back playing Banjo Kazooie just fine, wich I did, excluding one stage (which has also always been frustrating junk back in the day). Now things like the final platforming section in ICO on the other hand? Borderline unplayable.

I beat that section on my first try about 6 months ago on my play through on the remaster. It had been years since I had played it before that. The only control issues I had with Ico were usually the fighting mechanics with the shadow monsters. The platforming was smooth as butter for me.

Wtf is wrong with people?! Did it really need to be Uncharted good on MC for people to buy? This is why all games are the same in the AAA category.

relax, im just waiting it out to see if the game is indeed great. With all the divisiveness in the reviews Im skeptical as Ive never played one of the developers games. So I ordered SOTC and will play that before I buy TLG. That is, if my cancellation actuallys occurs

Ooooh, that gets me excited. The design of the castle is one of my favorite aspects of Ico.
From Y2Kev
The game has a real Dark Souls vibe in terms of being able to "see" the upcoming game environments as you play earlier ones. For example, you can see the demo environment as you cross through the levels "underneath" it, which is a nice touch. The game itself has a real sense of place just like the two worlds Ueda and team built before this one. Logically things flow together and logistically you can believe that things connect to other things
There are a lot of sweaty-palms jumps you’ll make towards the end, and the scale of the game is simply huge. I have no idea how this was intended to run on a PS3 (it barely runs on a PS4). You’ll feel so, so high up! It makes every jump feel perilous. In this sense, late in the game, the game shifts from feeling a lot like ICO to feeling a lot like Shadow of the Colossus, where you start climbing massive structures and you just keep going higher and higher. Previously I mentioned how the game has a “Dark Souls” feel in that you can see places you’ll be going later as you play. The game also has a Dark Souls feel in that the environments end up looping around on themselves! It is a pleasant surprise because it further enhances the sense of place throughout the game. If this was one of your favorite elements of Shadow of the Colossus, you will really love this in the game.

Mcdohl

FFXV at 84 MC,
TLG at 83 MC.

Lol, these two games shared a very similar fate.

10 years
not
in the making.

Originally for PS3.

Came out one week apart from each other.

And both from the Japan.

Looking forward to TLG after I finish FFXV! I planned on getting both regardless of scores anyways.

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

Never change, GAF.

Nameless

A lot like Bethesda jank, Team ICO jank doesn't hinder my enjoyment of their games. But I'm actually surprised more reviewers didn't let that stuff sully their experience.

HStallion

Like Bethesda jank, Team ICO jank doesn't hinder my enjoyment of their games. But I'm actually surprised more reviewers didn't let that stuff sully their experience.

Never seems to sully their experiences with the Bethesda games ;D

QaaQer

I think Y2Kev's impressions are my favorite so far

Agreed. I really like this quote
The Last Guardian is about the satisfaction we get in seeing others succeed.

Most AAA games have one gameplay goal and that is to make the player feel cool and powerful; all other human emotions these games try to elicit are relegated to cut scenes or "conversations". It's nice to have at least one expensive game that tries to do more with gameplay.

More importantly though, what number did Kevin give it?

etrain911

I will have to pick this up if I eventually get a Pro. I just don't want to experience the culmination of 10 years of hard work with low frame-rates and technical problems.

Spman2099

A lot like Bethesda jank, Team ICO jank doesn't hinder my enjoyment of their games. But I'm actually surprised more reviewers didn't let that stuff sully their experience.

The primary difference is that, unlike Bethesda, Team ICO doesn't have any jank. They just have an artistic direction that they will stick with, even if it is divisive. The people making the new Dead Rising should have taken a page from their book.

LordKano

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

There are two things that I hate : people who uses laughing smiley that adds nothing to the conversation and are pulled straight out of gamefaqs, and when these sames people speaks nonsense and think they are the rational ones.

PlayerOne

Banned
Here is the breakdown so far, from the OP.

27 - 9+ scores
17 - 8+ scores
8 - 7+ scores
3 - 6+ scores
2 - below 6 scores
3 - no scores (Essential, "It was worth the wait", Kotaku - very positive review)

That is why I do not get how people are disappointed or saying the game is a disappointment based on the reviews. Have you been reading the same reviews as I do?

so divisive /s

Screen_Shot_2016_12_05_at_18_02_56.jpg

That graph really drives home my point. You'd think with all the negativity in this thread that the game was doing so poorly in reviews.

KevinG

I've only read a few reviews but how pervasive is the claim that the framerate is poor?

Runs, on average, between 20 - 30 fps on PS4, locked 30 fps on Pro at 1080p, and between 25 - 30 fps on Pro at 4k (1900p).

Reviews have all mentioned the technical struggles.

Mattenth

Down to 78 now on OpenCritic And just a reminder... 78 is a pretty good score. Top 28.1% of games. That's why it's labeled "Strong"

Salaadin

That graph really drives home my point. You'd think with all the negativity in this thread that the game was doing so poorly in reviews.
Some people don't look at individual scores and just focus on the average. It's not the best way to go about it, imo, but it's the way things are.

Top Bottom