• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Read OP and it's reviewing better than I thought it would honestly. All of it is irrelevant to me when it comes to this particular game though since I've been waiting patiently for a very very long time. Cannot freaking wait till I pop that disk in myself and just let it wash over me. Gimmie them feeeeeeeeeels.

MistBreeze

As a matter of fact, this game getting 83 is big achievement giving the fact it is niche and not a lot of gamers cup of tea.

As a fan of team ico games i know what Im going to get, and Im realy happy to see reviews giving high regards to japanese games this gen.

Gamers this gen also tend to accept variety of genres more than last gen - FPS mainly -

bj00rn_

Banned
Some people don't look at individual scores and just focus on the average. It's not the best way to go about it, imo, but it's the way things are.

Scoring a game with an absolute number is the problem. Reading the review from a reviewer that you feel have the same taste as you would be best choice if you want to try to get a feel of how it might suit you. There's nothing wrong with using the average to compare the general reception out there. Problem is its not accurate and even worse comparing it to past reviews because of review climate changes.

Cosmonal

Neo Member
A Team Ico game on the original developed platform should have framedrops: its already part of the charm, part of the experience.

I'm not even kidding, can't wait to play with lights off, 5.1 sound and some nice coffee alnight long...

Loudninja

Genuinely: it was fascinating to watch the face, the body language, the shifting Baba Yaga chicken feet of that beast I was travelling with as it struggled to understand what I was asking of it - and then struggled to decide if it was in the mood to help anyway. This wasn't an instance in which the game was too clumsy to bring its pieces to bear effectively. It was something else entirely, something much rarer. It was an instance in which I had to try to properly engage with another creature, as wilful, playful, and easily distracted as I am. Commands came together with body language, orders with their interpretation, and the true puzzle didn't lie at the bottom of the pool, because it was right up on the surface all along. The true puzzle was: what is this animal thinking?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-05-the-last-guardian-review#comments

Nameless

First time I heard that Team ICO games are a buggy mess and poorly animated.

The primary difference is that, unlike Bethesda, Team ICO doesn't have any jank. They just have an artistic direction that they will stick with, even if it is divisive. The people making the new Dead Rising should have taken a page from their book.

To be clear I was using jank as a catch-all term for roughish gameplay or performance, not saying they have the same kinds of issues. For example Team ICO's camera tends to be pretty janky, but it doesn't bother be after a few minutes.

Trace

Banned
Reviews are exactly where I expected them to be. If you expected a Ueda game with all the baggage that comes along with that, people enjoy it. If they compare it to a "modern" game and expect tight controls and for the game to explain things to you, they didn't.

We've made a lot of progress. We're included in B&H Impact, fourtyseven, and United Talent Agency reporting. We hit over 2k concurrent users this morning (and made pancakes on the hot servers while we debated what to do...)

The main difference right now is international publications. OpenCritic just opened up to non-English publications this weekend. Hopefully a lot of these outlets will apply and join.

The disparity right now is a combination of:
a) Not sure why, but Metacritic doesn't have Digital Trends (Alexa rank 944 global) or iDigitalTimes (Alexa rank 5607) - Both are the two 4/10s
b) Metacritic still weighting outlets
c) Metacritic having non-English publications (which tend to score higher based on our early analysis)
English speaking publications only seems like a big difference factor.

Taste and styles are different across the globe, I wouldn't want the bulk of the reviews to come from one region.

The poster who's making said it should be up soon

Sweet, thank you. 😍

A Team Ico game on the original developed platform should have framedrops: its already part of the charm, part of the experience.

I'm not even kidding, can't wait to play with lights off, 5.1 sound and some nice coffee alnight long...

Same here, in previous Ueda games I tend to just do alot of hanging out in areas and letting the game run. I'm wishing my HD Shadow/Ico ps3 disc worked on my Ps4 ( no ps3 anymore) so I could just go check out some environments to to get ready and make those mental contrasts between games.

I feel like AI in games is really under developed, so I hope the animal AI is impressive as it seems based on the reviews.

Games need more AI focus, its the number one thing you interact with in the game, enemies, NPCs etc. yet it hasn't seen the technological development that graphics and physics have.

That is honestly what I am most excited for with TLG.

Totakeke

Unlike the positive FFXV reviews, the ones for this game actually sold me on the game.

Then I went to check for the PS4 Pro deal I had my eye on until this morning and found that it's no longer listed. Oh well.

so divisive /s

Screen_Shot_2016_12_05_at_18_02_56.jpg
We need stuff like this in every review thread. This speaks louder than one lousy overall score.

Trace

Banned
We need stuff like this in every review thread. This speaks louder than one lousy overall score.

People push narratives they want to push. "Ohh but it got a 4/10", yea and 10 other reviews gave it a 9/10. At GAF we like to dwell on negatives before release, hell look at TW3 downgrade threads before launch, while people today call it both one of the best looking games and a GOAT RPG.

I'm not even buying TLG tomorrow but the reviews look solid and I'm sure it's a good game.

i tried ico on Ps4 via psnow and stopped coz i couldn't get into it. how do i know i'm gonna like this?
You probably won't. TLG is very much like Ico with a giant pet instead of Yorda (the girl you are hand holding) and is mostly about developing a relationship between the two.

Watch video impressions and wait until tomorrow when more people are playing it .

The Eurogamer review was a good read. I'd been thinking of holding off for a bit since I'm very early in FFXV and have Doom to play as well, but I think I might ask for it for Christmas now.

Top Bottom