• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian: Review Thread

MistBreeze

I predicted 84

Really happy to see it get 83 meta score :)

And to all people think a game is good only if it is 90+ meya score, these days are gone

This generation critics are harsh and not giving 9s like candy

joecanada

Okay, look...

Every person in GAF knows how much I dislike MGSV. That game is the biggest gaming disappointment in my entire life. There is not a single game, since I started gaming, that has disappointed me as much as MGSV. I dislike the plot, the characters, the music and the barren open world. I forced myself to finish it just because it was Metal Gear and I needed closure.

However, in no way I could objectively call that game "bad". Not even "mediocre". Even if I disliked it deeply, the game is deserving of the scores it got. It IS a great game. Not perfect, and has tons of flaws, but despite my personal opinion and tastes, there's no way I could rate it anything less than a 9/10.

Well you are incredibly generous then, based on giving the game scores you think it deserves being a great overall experience.

My own AAA rating would be for COD AW, I bought it due to the pre release hype, it performed as expected, MP was a mess (very poor performance), and it didn't improve significantly on it's predecessors and for that I would give it a 6 or a 7 which I feel is very fair considering I played maybe 10 hours and hated all of it.

Astral

My concern is whether or not there's some kind of visual indicator that Trico doesn't wanna listen to you. Does he display some type of behavior or does he just stand there doing absolutely nothing? The latter would put me off because that's hard to distinguish between an actual animal that doesn't wanna obey you and an A.I. that's simply unresponsive.

Some people don't look at individual scores and just focus on the average. It's not the best way to go about it, imo, but it's the way things are.
Not very effective when a few low scores can bring down the entire average

Five 10s = 10 average
Four 10s, One 4 = 8.8 average

Lingitiz

Down to 78 now on OpenCritic And just a reminder... 78 is a pretty good score. Top 28.1% of games. That's why it's labeled "Strong"
Weird to see a five point disparity with MC. I like Opencritic but it does have some weird inconsistencies at times. I know for a fact companies hate that they surface embargo times and as such it'll never be given the same weight in the industry as MC.

Honestly 83 Metacritic and some of my most trusted reviewers giving the game their thumbs up is as good as I could have realistically hoped for. Won't even bother with the concern trolls who would like everyone to believe the critical reception is anything other than positive.
Congratulations to ueda San for delivering another great game!

AHA-Lambda

I...
M4oe5vt.gif

In what world is The Last Guardian "niche"? With the critically acclaimed Ico and SOTC as part of this "series", they've been building hype for TLG for YEARS. They've given this the same marketing push that they gave No Man's Sky! Even the delays were huge deals that required special announcements.

The Last Guardian is as AAA as it gets.

Basically none of this post is correct =/

As acclaimed as Ico/SotC are, they ain't not niche. They're most certainly not mainstream or AAA anyway.

And NMS got FAAAR more marketing than this.

Fhtagn

Everyone buy this game. I want Sony to keep making these types of games

This is pretty much why I bought this today instead of a few weeks from now; technical issues aside, I want to reward Sony for not canceling this years ago, and for including games primarily motivated by artistic expression in their portfolio alongside the traditional game for fun's sake games.

Raylan

Banned
Honestly 83 Metacritic and some of my most trusted reviewers giving the game their thumbs up is as good as I could have realistically hoped for. Won't even bother with the concern trolls who would like everyone to believe the critical reception is anything other than positive.
Congratulations to ueda San for delivering another great game!
Well said :)
I want more of these games. Everybody, buy this game!! :D

Weird to see a five point disparity with MC. I like Opencritic but it does have some weird inconsistencies at times. I know for a fact companies hate that they surface embargo times and as such it'll never be given the same weight in the industry as MC.

Open critic ignores all non English language websites. Hence the disparity. Metacritic is more accurate for this game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Why put it that way? The Kinda Funny team and doing all they can to make sure I don't re-subscribe at the moment. It's almost as if they're two scolded schoolchildren intent on proving the criticisms of late don't bother them.

Greg and Collin hating a game often means I have a good chance of loving it. Those two seem to despise a large swath of the gaming world for some really weird reasons.

A lot like Bethesda jank, Team ICO jank doesn't hinder my enjoyment of their games. But I'm actually surprised more reviewers didn't let that stuff sully their experience.
That's because not everyone considers it "jank"

People complain about controls of SOTC but personally I can't think of many games that give me the level of functionality and control as that game while still animating well

Most games that animate well seem to take away control at sacrifice of the animation

The factor controls like a Team ICO game would be considered a good thing by the majority of their fans. If it came out controlling like a semi automated Assassins Creed game for example it would have turned off a lot of fans

Sorry I have lost any respect for them after the PS4 Pro situation.

Are they not some of the biggest known PlayStation fans on the internet that work in the media?

If they didn't enjoy the previous games from Team Ico then at least they're being consistent and TLG didn't do enough to break that cycle for them.

NateDrake

Looks like Greg is not happy with the game...

Nor was he a fan of Ico and SotC. TLG isn't a game that appeals to him nor was it ever going to appeal to him. So his opinion on the matter isn't one of benefit for those who enjoy Ico/SotC style games. The audience for TLG is those who played and enjoyed the previous two games of the "series". It won't attract many new people give the style in which the game plays.

Batman7

Banned
7 perfect scores (fantastic)
33 between 8 - 9.3 (very good to excellent)
9 between 7 - 7.5 (good)
6 below 6.5 (Ok-ish)

Am I in the wrong thread or has the world gone fuckin' crazy?

... Looks like a must buy to me.

A lot of people who don't ubderstand these type of games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Greg and Collin hating a game often means I have a good chance of loving it. Those two seem to despise a large swath of the gaming world for some really weird reasons.

I've got nothing against either of them disliking something others like, it's just the way they're going about it at the moment. They seem intent on deliberately saying things they know will rile people up.

prwxv3

Nor was he a fan of Ico and SotC. TLG isn't a game that appeals to him nor was it ever going to appeal to him. So his opinion on the matter isn't one of benefit for those who enjoy Ico/SotC style games.

This. And it's fine. Not everyone has to like or get Ueda games.

Mattenth

We've made a lot of progress. We're included in B&H Impact, fourtyseven, and United Talent Agency reporting. We hit over 2k concurrent users this morning (and made pancakes on the hot servers while we debated what to do...)

The main difference right now is international publications. OpenCritic just opened up to non-English publications this weekend. Hopefully a lot of these outlets will apply and join.

The disparity right now is a combination of:
a) Not sure why, but Metacritic doesn't have Digital Trends (Alexa rank 944 global) or iDigitalTimes (Alexa rank 5607) - Both are the two 4/10s
b) Metacritic still weighting outlets
c) Metacritic having non-English publications (which tend to score higher based on our early analysis)

prwxv3

I've got nothing against either of them disliking something others like, it's just the way they're going about it at the moment. They seem intent on deliberately saying things they know will rile people up.

If colin trys to pull a "colin was right" on this he deserves all the shit he gets. Both colin and greg are entitled to their opinion on the game though.

Greg and Colin have very obvious patterns in the type of games they like. The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy XV would've never aligned with their tastes. Which is fine by the way, just Colin, while very opinionated, can come across as someone who disproves others perspectives and makes it difficult to listen to them.

That graph really drives home my point. You'd think with all the negativity in this thread that the game was doing so poorly in reviews.

This thread highlights two things, people love focusing on the bad reviews when possible and people depend too much on review scores. There's enough positive comments that convinces me that I would like minded when I play the game.

Top Bottom