• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Kingdom - BBC/Netflix - Cornwell's "Saxon Stories" - S1 available on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herla

How many books are there and how far into it are they as we hit the halfway point of S1?

There's 9 books but I've only read the first 4 so I don't know how many more there might be in the future (for Bernard Cornwell writing a book is a matter of a year).
Judging from the preview, next episode will cover (in spoiler, just in case)
the end of book 1 and the beginning of book 2

I think this is based off his Saxon chronicles and there is like 9 of them or so. I'm really surprised they didn't do his Grail or King Arthur series as they are both trilogies and probably more suited to onscreen adaption. Really enjoying what they're putting on screen though!!

The Warlord Chronicles deserve more than 3 seasons. I'd love to see every detail of those books on screen! Sadly I don't think the lure of "King Arthur" would be enough for viewers to appreciate that historical period.

I think this is based off his Saxon chronicles and there is like 9 of them or so.
There's 9 books but I've only read the first 4 so I don't know how many more there might be in the future (for Bernard Cornwell writing a book is a matter of a year).
Judging from the preview, next episode will cover (in spoiler, just in case)
the end of book 1 and the beginning of book 2
Thanks! I was just curious how much of the material they've covered so far.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Still really digging this. I can't believe we're already half way through the season.

Man, they don't waste any time on this show. Lots of jumps ahead and plenty of twists and turns in the plot.

No kidding. It's not dissimilar to Vikings in that regard.

Anyone know if the broadcast version of this show is censored? Like Vikings, which gets uncensored versions of each season on blu-ray?

It is censored, but not in the same way Vikings is where they cut scenes out entirely - for instance, there was a boob shot in last night's episode and they just blurred it.

demolitio

Sounds like I should give this a shot then? I love historical shows (whether they're just settings or go for a more authentic approach) and I saw this on the other night, but had no clue what was happening since I started in the middle of it.

I watch too much TV, but it seems like there's more networks taking risks nowadays that only networks like HBO did in the past.

aku:jiki

I really enjoyed episode 3 because it felt like the prologue period was over and things were settling in, but then came episode 4 and started rushing things again. Just how quickly the show is moving from plot point to plot point is my biggest problem right now, the show is letting nothing sink in. The sequence where Uhtred meets his new wife, they dislike each other, then they like each other and then they cut to her being 8 months pregnant was like a 5 minute thing at the very most. That's insanely fast and not a sustainable speed for a good show. We can't care about characters if they've been on screen for half a second...

Like I think we're supposed to care about the sibling/childhood friendship thing between Uhtred, Brida and Ragnar Jr, but it's really difficult for the viewer to be affected when Ragnar has had maybe 1-2 minutes of screentime and they had Uhtred make his great sacrifice by giving up his family in episode 3, only for them to timeskip into a reunion with those same characters in episode 4! (Then he leaves them again, for a character that has had even less screentime than Ragnar!)

Other than this, I'm loving it, but I hope they're just rushing the first couple of books to get to the good stuff or something, and that this isn't the intended pace for the entire show...

jett

D-Member
This show has been all right so far. Not great to be honest, but entertaining nonetheless. I don't have much to watch right now anyway. :p Maybe it's a bit sanitized, the constant use of "turd" and "humping" seems pretty silly.

Been enjoying it so far, doesn't seem too low budget. I think it is mostly well cast. (not sure why breda has to be so ugly though!) Shame to hear that they are racing through the source books at such a pace, as I'll miss this when it is finished. We have just finished episode 3 in the UK.
The actor playing Uhtred's uncle lives in the same town as me, I am often seeing him in the supermarket. He is a skater!

Business

Been enjoying it so far, doesn't seem too low budget. I think it is mostly well cast. (not sure why breda has to be so ugly though!) Shame to hear that they are racing through the source books at such a pace, as I'll miss this when it is finished. We have just finished episode 3 in the UK.
The actor playing Uhtred's uncle lives in the same town as me, I am often seeing him in the supermarket. He is a skater!

I actually like it that the cast is (for the most part and with the notable exception of Uhtred) not looking like models.

Alfred is the best thing about the show, just great casting.

Not really liking how fast they are going through stuff but I guess they can't bank on having so many seasons so they need to reach climactic moments sooner.

Burger

Friend of mine directed a few eps of this and I worked on several VFX shots. Glad people are enjoying it!

I actually like it that the cast is (for the most part and with the notable exception of Uhtred) not looking like models.

Brida will never not be beautiful <3. But she's quite different from this little bit in Homeland last week.

ILevyx5.jpg

UrbanRats

How does it compare to Vikings? Honestly i'm worried to get sick of the vibe, if i started to watch this as well, assuming they're similar enough.

Tugatrix

How does it compare to Vikings? Honestly i'm worried to get sick of the vibe, if i started to watch this as well, assuming they're similar enough.

I think they are not comparable although they share some characters. Last Kingdom has a more serious tone and is more historically accurate. Also the fight scenes are better done in Last Kingdom, less shaky cam and the movements on the battlefield are better reproduced.

Beefy

I think they are not comparable although they share some characters. Last Kingdom has a more serious tone and is more historically accurate. Also the fight scenes are better done in Last Kingdom, less shaky cam and the movements on the battlefield are better reproduced.

See I think the battles in Vikings are done better. The Last Kingdom needs more money thrown at it, some parts feel very cheap. I am starting to like it though.

Ruruja

Brutal ending. That's what you get for horsing around with that lady in Uhtred's home.

Fight with Ubba was good.

Fuck Odda the younger.

Holtz

Excellent episode. Uthred was really screwed here, but he is also a gigantic dumb ass. Just like in the book lol.

UrbanRats

That's be very impressive, I thought the battle scenes in Vikings were always awesome for a TV show, better than GoT, given the disparity in budget.
I guess I'll check this out.

Tugatrix

See I think the battles in Vikings are done better. The Last Kingdom needs more money thrown at it, some parts feel very cheap. I am starting to like it though.

they need money yes, but they reproduce the tactical movements better. Vikings at the begining did it very well but in later seasons and episodes they would just rush into the enemy no tactic.

Uhtred has no common sense, he is still very hot headed something they translated very well from the book

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Great show. Enjoying it a lot so far. Ended up totally dropping The Bastard Executioner in favor of this.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Excellent episode this week with tons of memorable scenes:

Uhtred's talk with Ubba
Uhtred sneaking onto the boats to light them on fire
Uhtred's fight with Ubba (gah why did he have to cut his achilles tendons D:)
The entire "I LOVE TITS!" grovelling bit
Uhtred laying the smackdown on the dishonest servant

I was initially worried about that very thing - that this'd be just a slightly different version of Vikings - but it isn't. It covers similar historical territory, but it really is it's own thing.

Friend of mine directed a few eps of this and I worked on several VFX shots. Glad people are enjoying it!

Whoa, cool! What episodes did he direct?

Brida will never not be beautiful <3. But she's quite different from this little bit in Homeland last week.

ILevyx5.jpg

Oh neat, I didn't recognize her in that episode.

Ended up totally dropping The Bastard Executioner in favor of this.

Wise choice.

JerkShep

Vikings is a bit more unconventional, the story bits are there but the focus is not really on historical accuracy, more on badass characters doing badass stuff in a given historical context. The Last Kingdom tries to be more accurate and less over the top, and until now it almost completely lacks the mystical stuff that Vikings has. I feel they're both good shows in their own rights, even if they're not absolute must watch. Thinking about it, both shows have characters with great chemistry and very nice soundtracks.

A Warlord Chronicles done with a proper budget would be amazing. It's one of my favorite series and the low key use of mysticism/magic is perfection, many other series should be inspired by it.

Clevinger

Watched the first five eps over the weekend, and this show is really good. I think I like it more than Vikings.

Can't wait to see what hijinks the ex-heir and Uhtred get into together. Should be fun.

Hyun Sai

I had a hard time watching episode 5. Uthred is one the most dumb character I ever saw, and it does not help he is the main character. Yeah, just go on and fuel the fire with Odda the young, he is just the next in line, that will end well ! Yeah, even Leofric of all people warned you of what would happen, but what the fuck, let's blame all on christianity and draw sword before the King ! Yeah, let's slaughter some petty thief before your wife, she will be so fond of you !

I know everyone in the shows tells him he is stupid, but it's no longer a funny meme at this point.

Herla

Well, I guess they had to make some weird changes at some point :(
I'm re-reading the books so this part was rather fresh in my memory, kind of disappointing. It's nothing major at all (Game of Thrones this is not), but it's weird to see this stuff just as they plunge into Book 2.

Still, good episode. I can see a lot of people not liking Uhtred (and the lack of internal monologue doesn't help), but I'm always glad to see his rashness (if not plain stupidity) represented.

TraBuch

Banned
Has there ever been a likable character in any of these viking period dramas? I understand they're all supposed to be assholes, but it's hard to root for anybody when you want everyone to just fucking die.

aku:jiki

Still having a problem with the relentless rushing through the story... Nothing settles and it's making Uhtred look like a pretty big dumbass when they just pile his bad decisions on top of one another with nothing inbetween.

Has there ever been a likable character in any of these viking period dramas? I understand they're all supposed to be assholes, but it's hard to root for anybody when you want everyone to just fucking die.
Uhtred's BFF is a good man, I like him. Sucks that he's obviously going to die unless there's a deus ex machina next week.

Alfred isn't bad as far as kings in stories go either, they're almost always at least five times as evil as he is. The priest's all right as well.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I'm still enjoying the show enough to continue watching it, but the plot so far switches between him making dumb decisions or being a total douche. I may end up reading the first book to see if it's any better.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Well, I guess they had to make some weird changes at some point :(
I'm re-reading the books so this part was rather fresh in my memory, kind of disappointing. It's nothing major at all (Game of Thrones this is not), but it's weird to see this stuff just as they plunge into Book 2.

How is it different in the book? (spoiler tag it)

Has there ever been a likable character in any of these viking period dramas?

Lagertha in Vikings!

SirKhalid

Man this show is probably my favourite this year. How come there are not more posts it should be more popular. It's pretty nice that new characters can be introduced so late in a season. Any word on a season 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom