• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Kingdom S2 |OT| "Destiny is All Arselings" *UK Airing on BBC*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tugatrix

16997990_1225133570910277_4481499925813878885_n.png

Synopsis

England, 872. A Saxon man, raised by Danes, must choose a side and play his part in the birth of a nation, alongside the man who would become known as King Alfred the Great.

Uhtred,the Arseling, embark on his voyage to the north to avenge the death of Earl Ragnar, as well as to recapture the lands of Bebbanburg.

Trailers
Teaser
Trailer 1
Trailer 2

Pictures

Warning this Thread is for viewers watching the BBC broadcasting, if you're waiting for American/Netflix Broadcasting be careful while reading the thread

UPDATE:

Arselings, we heard you! We are pleased to announce that season 2 of The Last Kingdom will be available on Netflix outside the UK soon and trust us, it’ll be worth the wait. For all our international viewers, keep an eye on your country’s Netflix updates and make sure you’re following us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest news.
In the meantime, avoid any and all links to pirate copies – scammers are keen to get your credit card details and leave you stranded, and we can not promise that Uhtred will come to your rescue!
Via: facebook

I feel like whole load of exposition was missing wrt who the fuck
this Guthren cunt is
and why everyone is happy for him to be the
King of all Northumbria,
especially given that
he's a Dane

Chumley

Banned
Awesome premiere for S2. The pacing was as unrelenting as usual, so much shit happened and the hour basically flew by. They covered a lot of ground and Uhtred's group visited a ton of different villages. The atmosphere is so, so good, and the handheld camera work with beautiful landscape shots feels almost Herzogian at times and like a true adventure. I love how Uhtred is revered like a demigod to most of the Christians. I don't trust Guthren but it doesn't matter because Uhtred is going to single handedly clean house as usual.
Dressing up as an undead horsemen to scare the shit out of those guys was amazing.

Destiny is all etc. etc.

Sloane

Banned
Finally, had almost forgotten about it. Curious about the dynamic between the characters in season 2, considering how things went in the first season finale.

Chumley

Banned
Finally, had almost forgotten about it. Curious about the dynamic between the characters in season 2, considering how things went in the first season finale.

S2 premiere spoiler

Uhtred is sad about Isolde for about 2 minutes after waking up from a drunken stupor and then tries to fuck Hilde for the rest of the episode. True to character indeed.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I enjoy this show more than Vikings.

Looking forward to Season 2 (once us filthy Americans get it at least).

For some reason? Haha! The comparisons always make me laugh. Don't get me wrong I love Vikings and it's worth a watch for anyone interested in the era but The Last Kingdom is miles ahead in terms of acting, set pieces (don't get me started on what constitutes a "shield wall" in Vikings. No simply holding your shield up with everyone running in opposite directions is not it), design and overall narrative cohesion. Granted they have the luxury of drawing from an extensive series of books but even without that it's just a better executed show. Oh and the accents in Vikings. I can't. I'm on season three and I had hoped they'd get better but I fear they're actually getting worse. At least The Last Kingdom uses primarily Danish and Nordic actors vs Vikings using Aussies with the worst Nordic accents I've ever heard in my life lol.

PS I still love Vikings

Just finished watching. Excellent stuff - this show really gets my blood pumping. Lots of new characters have been placed on the board and they are already making moves. Excited for next week already.

Tugatrix

I think Uthred has evolved as character, he has become even more wise in his moves, but still arrogant as hell and that will lead him to some head on's with destiny.
That attack using the skulls is delightful psychological warfare

No mercy!!!

I kinda want to wait until I can binge watch, but might just start watching anyways.

It's great to have all this TV set in the early middle ages.

KahooTs

Can't remember much about the first season, I liked the king, I like his useless nephew who was supposed to be king and the main character was dull. Dunno if I'll watch this season, will see what kind of reception it gets.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.

Same. I like this show quite a bit, but dropped Vikings after a few episodes. This is a binge type show for me, so I'm trying to wait.

Chumley

Banned
Oh my god S2E2

The only problem with this show is that it's too good.

Thank god they got to the telegraphed Guthred betrayal so quickly. Do these fuckers not realize who Uhtred is? He's going to tear them all limb from limb. It's amazing how efficiently they set up all of the antagonists for this season, there's a shitload of them now. Basically Uhtred + Ragnar + Hilde against the world. Considering the unrelenting pace of the show I'm expecting Guthred, Kjartan, Sven, and the uncle in Bebbanburg all dead within the next 4 episodes.

Also, staking all of those heads, coming out of nowhere as the dead horseman and decapitating another dude, and then screaming "I WILL TAKE YOUR SOUL" to Kjartan was the most metal shit I've seen all year.

Oh my god S2E2

The only problem with this show is that it's too good.

Thank god they got to the telegraphed Guthred betrayal so quickly. Do these fuckers not realize who Uhtred is? He's going to tear them all limb from limb. It's amazing how efficiently they set up all of the antagonists for this season, there's a shitload of them now. Basically Uhtred + Ragnar + Hilde against the world. Considering the unrelenting pace of the show I'm expecting Guthred, Kjartan, Sven, and the uncle in Bebbanburg all dead within the next 4 episodes.

Also, staking all of those heads, coming out of nowhere as the dead horseman and decapitating another dude, and then screaming "I WILL TAKE YOUR SOUL" to Kjartan was the most metal shit I've seen all year.

Love this show so much. Yep, I'm the same - why are you messing with Uhtred? His plot armour is unassailable.

Episode 2 spoilers -
Loved the guy saying - this is the last head - just as Uhtred rides in, lobs his off! Warrior Hild is also the best.

Werd

Thought episode 3 was one of the better episodes of the show so far, good stuff. Episode 1 felt a little off but the last two I liked.

Also nice to see some of his Uncle's scheming,
Ragnar pursuing him,
etc. that you don't get in the book as it's told from Uhtred's perspective and only mentioned after the fact when he hears of it. Though that did lose the surprise of (book material covered in E3)
Ragnar/Steappa arriving, which in the book is a red ship following his slave ship for weeks but the reader doesn't know who is in it until they save Uhtred from Sven.

I'm curious what exactly they are doing with book 3/4 which seem like they are going to be combined into one plot. I've been listening to the audio books the past couple months and am on #6 now. I wish Jonathan Keeble had narrated them all, he was a step up from most narrators.

Chumley

Banned
Episode 3 was great, as usual. Every single episode is great, but the pacing here was god tier. They accomplished in 1 episode what The Walking Dead took 8 to do, and did it more convincingly.

Even though it was only like 30 minutes, the slave story was brutal and heartbreaking. They clearly stepped up the budget with all of the ship scenes and Iceland stuff, that was stunning. I was kind of annoyed that Hilde was so upset about Uhtred killing that weasel fuck, he was directly responsible for everything that happened including beating and attempting to force marriage of Guthred's sister. But I guess back then priests were untouchable, and Hilde comes from the cloth.

Alfred as usual an opportunistic asshole. Going by how insane the pace of this season has been I'm guessing Uhtred only spends an episode doing his bidding before returning to clean fucking house with Ragnar.

The unspoken chemistry between Ragnar and Hilde was incredible in that scene where she gave him the sword. I was kind of expecting them to kiss but it's better they didn't, even though Uhtred made it known in the premiere he's interested.

DrSlek

I've been wanting to watch eps 2 & 3, but my newborn is kind of getting in the way of things right now.

Qvoth

huh so that's his real long hair? i thought uthred's actor is wearing a wig or something
anyway shame about
halig, he's a good kid
now i wonder if
hilda will start to doubt uthred for killing the abbot, she might even leave him in the end i feel

DrSlek

I finally caught up. I'm quite certain
Alfred would have found another way to secure Uhtred's service even if he hadn't killed the Abbot,
Because he's a magnificent bastard who always gets his way.

Subitai

How much longer for barbaric Americans?

Edit: If enough gaffers have read them, will there be a filthy book readers thread?

Holtz

I finally caught up. I'm quite certain
Alfred would have found another way to secure Uhtred's service even if he hadn't killed the Abbot,
Because he's a magnificent bastard who always gets his way.
Definitely.
Uthred never had a chance.

KorrZ

Watched the first 3 episodes on Netflix (Canada) so far so good. Loved the first season and am enjoying this one just as much. Uthred is such a lovable asshole.

Surprised to see this thread with so few posts, hopefully that's not indicative of the shows overall viewership because I want to see it continue.

Watched the first 3 episodes on Netflix (Canada) so far so good. Loved the first season and am enjoying this one just as much. Uthred is such a lovable asshole.

Surprised to see this thread with so few posts, hopefully that's not indicative of the shows overall viewership because I want to see it continue.
Hopefully it's because it's not readily available stateside yet.

Anyway, episode 3 - brutal and brilliant.
Real sad about Halig, but the Irish chap is gonna shine. Call me a sick bastard, but I relished the Abbots death.

Chumley

Banned

It's not, it does well in the U.K. and isn't available in America yet. By all rights this thread should blow up when it hits Netflix because this show is god tier.

I am enjoying this season quite a bit more than the first. Probably because I don't remember the books as well.

Episode 3 was the first time I felt Uhtred really start to develop into a hardened dangerous character. I was a bit disappointed that he so quickly seemed to revert to normal by the end.

Also I had the pleasure of visiting Bamburgh Castle 2 years ago (before the first series aired). Highly recommend a visit and a beautiful part of the world in general.

Coxy100

Banned
I am enjoying this season quite a bit more than the first. Probably because I don't remember the books as well.

Episode 3 was the first time I felt Uhtred really start to develop into a hardened dangerous character. I was a bit disappointed that he so quickly seemed to revert to normal by the end.

Also I had the pleasure of visiting Bamburgh Castle 2 years ago (before the first series aired). Highly recommend a visit and a beautiful part of the world in general.

I'm the same. Can't remember the books at all now so it's all a surprise to me.

Really enjoying this season - although I felt the relationship with Lady Gisela was a bit rushed.

I miss the guy from last season "Arseling".

Off topic - I agree with you about Bamburgh castle - beautiful place. The beach is amazing too

Holtz

Yeah, I'm also really loving this season. Good stuff all around. Hopefully it can continue far beyond this season.

Chumley

Banned
S2E4

Holy fuck,
Ragnar hacking Kjartan to pieces was the most metal thing I've ever seen on TV. If there was ever any doubt before, this show makes Vikings look like children's fare. Just pure rage and bloodlust. And to contrast Sven getting eaten by dogs with a certain scene from Game of Thrones - that's how you do it. Show the brutality of it in a close up. The battle scene itself was also amazingly well done aside from a few odd moments of blocking and editing.

And it has to once again be said how insane the pacing is. I didn't think they were going to
wrap up Kjartan until Episode 7 or 8. We're only halfway through. God damn.

S1 was a masterwork but S2 somehow has managed to be twice as good. Just incredible.

Tugatrix

Not saving any blows aren't they, this shows just goes like "we have no time to slack, full steam ahead"

Excuse me all other shows(except GoT) but you know jack shit about battle tactics, no other show does shield walls and that detail of the shields opening for the archers is priceless it's a kind of attention to detail that make the whole thing seem authentic, so bravo to Last Kingdom

Chumley

Banned
Not saving any blows aren't they, this shows just goes like "we have no time to slack, full steam ahead"

Excuse me all other shows(except GoT) but you know jack shit about battle tactics, no other show does shield walls and that detail of the shields opening for the archers is priceless it's a kind of attention to detail that make the whole thing seem authentic, so bravo to Last Kingdom

And it was edited in a way that felt coherent that made sense. So many shows fail at that. TLK deserves to be as big as GoT with how good it is at nearly everything.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
And it was edited in a way that felt coherent that made sense. So many shows fail at that. TLK deserves to be as big as GoT with how good it is at nearly everything.

I wonder what they could do with GoT's budget. This is another good show that will go ignored, similar to Black Sails.

Edit, not sure what the budget is, but I just assume it's less than GoT.

I wonder what they could do with GoT's budget. This is another good show that will go ignored, similar to Black Sails.
It's a good thing it's a BBC production, hopefully that eases off the commercial pressure to perform a bit. Still I think it's doing fine. I've done my bit by buying the first season Blu ray, watching it on IPlayer and paying my TV license.

Tonight's my Last Kingdom night, so I'll catch up to the latest episode in a bit. Can't wait.

KorrZ

Just chiming in to say last episode was great. Was surprised to see the revenge plot end so quickly into the season but I guess they need to move along to bigger things.

Somehow ended up watching all of Season 1 again over the last week...

Chumley

Banned
S2E5

Basically S3. 3 years later. Alfred is still a dick, he never learns that Uhtred is never wrong when it comes to matters of war.

But of course he'd fall for the blatantly theatrical bullshit of the "undead" guy because it appeals to his ego.

Also, this episode made me think more than before how perfect the crew behind this would be suited for a Witcher show/film.

So there was an OT for season two.

I'm really digging this season. Last season was good, but this one has been great so far, and the pacing is great. Not a single dull moment. Excellent production all round.

Also, this episode made me think more than before how perfect the crew behind this would be suited for a Witcher show/film.

Seeing Uthred arrive in Winchester with his new digs and all that made me think the same.

Chumley

Banned
So there was an OT for season two.

I'm really digging this season. Last season was good, but this one has been great so far, and the pacing is great. Not a single dull moment. Excellent production all round.

Seeing Uthred arrive in Winchester with his new digs and all that made me think the same.

Yep, and his outfit in the most recent ep is pure Geralt.

I still love the show but I actually think I preferred the first season. That may be because I've sped through about eight of the books so far though and I had hoped to see some of the story lines carried on further as opposed to them being blown through (like two books so far this season) so quickly. All that aside the show is still miles better than Vikings and fun as all get out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom