• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Kingdom - BBC/Netflix - Cornwell's "Saxon Stories" - S1 available on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herla

How is it different in the book? (spoiler tag it)

It might hint at some EP7 stuff, but
Asser never talks about Cynuit, and it's Odda who is trying to frame Uhtred by making one of his soldiers lie. He calls for a trial by combat because Uhtred gains the upper hand in the trial, and Uhtred accepts because he's a dumbass.
Like I said, nothing major, but I feel it paints a different picture about Leofric (he remains loyal) and Odda (he's much more of an asshole).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Any word on a season 2?

None yet. The ratings aren't very good in the US and I'm not familiar enough with UK ratings to know how it's doing over there. I would start bracing myself for the worst in the event that it doesn't get renewed.

It might hint at some EP7 stuff, but
Asser never talks about Cynuit, and it's Odda who is trying to frame Uhtred by making one of his soldiers lie. He calls for a trial by combat because Uhtred gains the upper hand in the trial, and Uhtred accepts because he's a dumbass.
Like I said, nothing major, but I feel it paints a different picture about Leofric (he remains loyal) and Odda (he's much more of an asshole).

I see, that doesn't sound too major. Still, little changes like that can build up and have a bigger impact later on down the line so hopefully they know what they're doing.

Business

None yet. The ratings aren't very good in the US and I'm not familiar enough with UK ratings to know how it's doing over there. I would start bracing myself for the worst in the event that it doesn't get renewed.

That sounds worrying, I really hope they renew the show.

Ruruja

I think US shows are much more volatile to ratings than UK shows. Shows are less likely to get cancelled in the UK in my opinion, even shows with very few viewers like Utopia got a second series.

I wouldn't worry about this.

I think US shows are much more volatile to ratings than UK shows. Shows are less likely to get cancelled in the UK in my opinion, even shows with very few viewers like Utopia got a second series.

I wouldn't worry about this.
We'll have to wait and see. The BBCA numbers are very, very low, though it does air on a Saturday. However, there's also very little buzz and the one set of L+3 numbers that I saw were similarly anemic. UK numbers are in the 1.5-2.0M range in terms of viewers, but like Ratsky, I don't have a good feel for how happy they'll be about that.

I would imagine that they wouldn't want to pull the plug after just one season unless it was a complete disaster. A fair bit will depend on who's producing it and whether there are additional international rights that were sold to countries outside the UK. I would think it's a somewhat pricey show to shoot because of the stunts and the fact that it's a period piece.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes. Yes he is.

tumblr_nwymtltCmo1ub8y6bo1_500.gif

ironcreed

Banned
To be fair, I'd leave my wife too if she kept trying to convert me to a religion.

In truth, he could not be the man that she wanted him to be. Not to mention that it was an arranged deal where Uhtred received the shit end of the stick in many ways.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Uthred is one of the most unlikable main characters in recent memory.

He is rather unlikable but I wouldn't say he's the most unlikable main character in recent memory. I found Nucky Thompson( Boardwalk Empire) to be way more unlikable. What a total shit that guy was.

- Guardian interview with Alexander Dreymon:
Q: What appealed most to you about the part of Uhtred?
A: He’s not perfect. He’s charming, but he’s got flaws. I like his cheekiness and the fact that he gets himself into really messed-up situations. He’s impulsive, and that’s fun to play – even when he’s faced with a life-or-death situation, he still wants to mess around.

Q: I have to ask – what’s the deal with the costumes? I’m obsessed by the fact Brida looks like she’s off to a rave in a field most weeks…
A: [Laughs] The costume department is brilliant and they really wanted a modern touch on the clothing ,but yeah, I’ve actually seen young girls walking around in very short fur coats like the one Brida wears. You can basically get Brida’s wardrobe at Zara.
More via the link.

Timbuktu

Here's hoping that critical acclaim can get BBC to give this another season at least. The beeb has been on a roll lately, this and Jonathan Strange & Mr, Norrell have been my favourite showd on TV this year. Both are in this weird territory where it's not quite prestige litrary drame like The Hollow Crown or Wolf Hall, but at the same time it's not populist like Dr Who and Sherlock either. I hope more people get to see it on demand or get blu rays for xmas or something.

Odda the Younger really is such a dick, i feel a bit sorry for they guy. I guess in real history, he must have beat Ubba in battle only for Cornwell to take the credit away and give it to the made up Uhtred.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode airs tonight!

Episode 7

Uhtred and Leofric face off in a death match as a result of their actions in Cornwall. However, a greater battle emerges as the Danes launch an invasion on Wessex.

Great episode, great series. Hope this picks up for a second season.

Shame about Leofric but I"m glad Guthrem's sticking around he's a fun character.

Milabrega

Going to miss Leofric going forward, MVP of season 1.

Uhtred going up and over the wall of shields was such a boss move wish they never showed it in the commercials/previews. Great ending for a great series.

harSon

Banned
Hope there's a second season, but narratively - it left off at a pretty decent spot if it were to end after this season.

Really enjoyed the season and hoping we get more. If not I'll have to devour the book series (if so, I'll wait until the run is definitely over before starting -- prefer to see it on TV first).

Clevinger

Good finale, though parts felt kind of odd like they were rushing through things. Wish it was an episode or two longer so we could have seen Guthrum's conversion and things like that in detail.

I could have sworn they said earlier in the season that Odda the Elder was dead, but I guess not. Damn, Odda Jr. got rekt.

I hope it gets renewed, but if not at least there are the books.

Wonderful finale. Pre-ordering the Blu-ray right away. It's always great to see a solid piece of BBC Drama.

I'm hopeful for a second season. Some classy characters will never return though.

Destiny is all.

Clevinger

Just watched the first episode and thought it was great, but I am sort of disappointed they went with this series instead of Cornwell's best one which is the Warlord Chronicles otherwise known as the best rendition of King Arthur.

I've been reading these books this past month, just started the third one, and yeah, that would've been cool. They're really good. It boggles my mind that those books were there ripe for an adaptation and Starz didn't use them for that Camelot show. Like, what the fuck.

Holtz

Fantastic episode, Dreymon really imporved as Uthred and Alfred continues as the MVP. Really hoping for a second season, there is so much awesome stuff in the books still waiting to be adapted.

Ruruja

Fantastic episode, Dreymon really imporved as Uthred and Alfred continues as the MVP. Really hoping for a second season, there is so much awesome stuff in the books still waiting to be adapted.

Alfred's battle speech was superb. The actor really did a damn good job with that role.

Like others it's a shame about Leofric. Wonder how they're gonna replace that bromance.

I am tempted to dive into the books now.

Business

Good finale. The events feel a bit rushed, somethings could be way better expained. The shieldwall jump when Uhtred went Rambo was a bit too much for my taste but anyway...

Very much looking forward to a second season.

The ending felt a bit rushed. I would've preferred it to have been stretched out over two seasons, but I've never read the books so I have no idea what's coming if we do get a second season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great finale. Shame about Leofric but I suppose there had to be one major loss on each side in order to solidify the severity of the battle. I also really liked Alfred's speech. Hopefully this gets renewed because I need to see what happens next between Uthred, Brida, and Ragnar.

Hope there's a second season, but narratively - it left off at a pretty decent spot if it were to end after this season.

Agreed. The ending was conclusive enough that I won't be too disappointed if the show fails to receive a second season.

Really enjoyed the season and hoping we get more. If not I'll have to devour the book series.

Same.

solid season, only complaint was rushing through two books in 8 episodes they skipped a lot of the development of Uthred as a viking which drives the character.

Here's hoping to season 2.

- Onion A|V Club review

Good finale! I really enjoyed this season, and while the small episode count meant they burned through a lot of plot quickly, I still think it worked overall. Very sad to see Leofric go out like that. :( As others have noted, Alfred's pre-battle speech was great.

Fingers crossed that this gets renewed, but if not, we can start a book club or something and read the series together. :p

Thanks for tuning in and participating in the thread.

XeUgbEi.jpg

EDIT:

4EZFEG4.gif

:(

- Onion A|V Club review

Good finale! I really enjoyed this season, and while the small episode count meant they burned through a lot of plot quickly, I still think it worked overall. Very sad to see Leofric go out like that. :( As others have noted, Alfred's pre-battle speech was great.

Fingers crossed that this gets renewed, but if not, we can start a book club or something and read the series together. :p

Thanks for tuning in and participating in the thread.

XeUgbEi.jpg

EDIT:

4EZFEG4.gif

:(

I for one would ABSOLUTELY be down for a book club if it doesn't get renewed. Or even if it does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom