• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Kingdom S2 |OT| "Destiny is All Arselings" *UK Airing on BBC*

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSo

Banned
Love the series. Think I might prefer the first season though. Felt the second season lacked the humour and and more personal relationships of the first but it was still really strong. I hope so much for a third season.

Destiny is all.

I love this series for it's breakneck pace and well acted, nuanced characters.

It felt like Uthred grew a bit this season into less of a cocky asshole and more of a strong, respected leader. Alfred sucked this season and everything that went his way was in no way a result of his actions.

People looking for a decent, fun GoT substitute should look no further.

Nameless

Great show. Wished it was 10-12 episodes, though, which would allow them to take their foot off the gas a bit and spend a bit more time on character development -- the performances deserve it. My girl Hild all but disappeared towards the end.

Hoping Netflix brings it back for Season 3. Need to see the whole Bebbanburg conflict resolved.

#destinyisall

Great show. Wished it was 10-12 episodes, though, which would allow them to take their foot off the gas a bit and spend a bit more time on character development -- the performances deserve it. My girl Hild all but disappeared towards the end.

Hoping Netflix brings it back for Season 3. Need to see the whole Bebbanburg conflict resolved.

#destinyisall

Unless they completely deviate from the books, that won't be resolved for about 3-4 more seasons

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just finished the season a couple of days ago - I thought it was great. A definite improvement over season one. Crossing my fingers for a third season.

Wife and I binged the first five episodes of S1 yesterday, and I think we're in it for the long haul. I've only read the first book in the series (so far), but I think the first book ended with the firing of the ships and the duel. So clearly this isn't a season-per book, since at least 3 episodes in S1 are from book 2.

Just started watching S2 last night, and it's good to be back. Two episodes in so far. I really like the relationship between Uhtred and Hild. I love the costumes and set design and somewhat gritty small-scale it all has. Reminds me quite a bit of The Witcher at times.

It's 3.30am and I'm going to bed having binge watched three episodes in a row. Goddamn I'm loving this. Just one more episode to go then I'm done with S2.

finowns

It's 3.30am and I'm going to bed having binge watched three episodes in a row. Goddamn I'm loving this. Just one more episode to go then I'm done with S2.

OMG this. At 1 AM I was like I have to go to bed after this one.. I ended up watching the whole series.

Uthred and Boucca's reunions and goodbyes are always sweet. I was hoping for more Breda she's awesome and her friendship with Uthred is fun to watch. Season 2 was really good.

Business

Done with S2.

Personally I liked S1 more than books 1, 2 and here I felt the other way around. I understand some changes had to be done mostly because of budget but other changes just didn't make much sense. A lot of the casting was a bit disappointing too, but yeah I guess everyone has their opinion on that, Sigefrid looked more like Drogo than Scandinavian, Eric I'd imagine him less of a rude, Aethelflaed was too old, Aethelred too young... Also things like Steapa, a character mixed with Leofric in S1 now comes to the show for S2 and trusts Uthred 'with this life' when we have seen nothing of their relationship.

Also what happened to Uthred's accent (and eye makeup...)? I don't remember him talking like that on S1. I'm all for accents and languages but isn't it a bit strange he suddenly seems to be the only one with such a strong accent?

Still enjoyable, but yeah imo weaker than S1.

jett

D-Member
Caught up with the new season.

I thought it was a solid improvement over the first one. Felt like they people in charge were more confident with how they stage and shoot their scenes, and the increased bits of violence helped a good deal in making the action more exciting. And they actually turned Arseling into a likable character, which is a minor miracle.

I really like how this show looks, it has a pastoral quality to it, and the setting looks real and believable.

Anyway, really quality stuff here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom