• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Demo (GoW:A Exclusive) Discussion Thread

Judging by all the praise for the game's sound, looks like I'm gonna need to invest in a new gaming headset for PS3. My Turtle Beach X12's only work for PC/360.

Vire

So can anyone confirm that the contrast quality is poor when indoors, especially in the dark rooms? I'm pretty sure it wasn't my TV (I have a plasma w/ decent darks), it was pretty bad. Like the darks were 70% grey.

Did you try and fiddle with the in-game brightness settings at all? Did that help?

Just remembered a thing about the demo that I found a little amusing, when you have stealthed past the first clicker and jumped over the wall. Why does the clicker not hear them when Joel pushes the big crate out of the way? That sounded quite loud to me :D

I don't think he can get to you anyway, you have to jump over a rise to get there. So that didn't bother me

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
You're probably right I think Walmart should have it at midnight anyways and a nice drive with the sunroof open wouldnt be bad before I spend my whole morning dead to the world hehe

Add to that the joy of unwrapping the box and enjoying that new game smell. Nothing beats physical.

The_Monk

Judging by all the praise for the game's sound, looks like I'm gonna need to invest in a new gaming headset for PS3. My Turtle Beach X12's only work for PC/360.

I guess I will have to do the same but will have to wait. They are quite decent for me, but the Mic is broken... :( Which is a shame since they are signed by a couple of Sonic Santa Monica studio members.

so how does the looting and crafting work? is looting like Rage? or new vegas or something?

I loved uncharted 1 and 2, got kinda bored with 3 despite looking amazing so not sure with this one (since finding out it has QTE ugh)

Did you try and fiddle with the in-game brightness settings at all? Did that help?

Yea I did, it just made it worse either way. I'm thinking it is a post-processing thing they used to give it a cloudy feel, but just fades out the blacks of the darkness. Everywhere else seemed fine.

It was prevalent mostly in the last area, if you go into that back room that's almost pitch dark.
The blacks are like a medium grey in there.

Just remembered a thing about the demo that I found a little amusing, when you have stealthed past the first clicker and jumped over the wall. Why does the clicker not hear them when Joel pushes the big crate out of the way? That sounded quite loud to me :D

That part did seem odd. I'm guessing it was added as an after-thought in order to slow progress as well as show that the path is not always going to be open.

This demo felt VERY demo-ee. I wouldn't be surprised if barely any of this is in the final game...

I guess I will have to do the same but will have to wait. They are quite decent for me, but the Mic is broken... :( Which is a shame since they are signed by a couple of Sonic Santa Monica studio members.

I got some news for you guys

Save $50 on the Sony Wireless Stereo Headset when you buy it with The Last of Us

The melee has a lot of wind up, you have to start it fairly early to whack them before they get to you. You can do it without getting hit.

It's that or shoot, but it can be hard to headshot them given the way they move.

Oh, I thought there would be a way to neutralize them by sneaking behind them. I kind of expect some patterns a la Hitman, which would suck because its not really a sneaking game. I was totally expecting the gun to be a last resort though.

So how prevelant is the survival stuff? Does it actually play different from other games on the market or is it just a zombie shooter?

Ricky_R

Are you sure it was not about the clickers? Because the runners are not blind, because the infection is not yet as evolved.

On the TLoU wiki there was this:

"Runners have very weak eyesight, while clickers have no eyesight whatsoever, due to the fungus growing through their eye sockets. Clickers got their nickname through the clicking noise they make, since they use echolocation to "see". They may also have an enhanced sense of smell, because of how quickly they located the dead survivor in the launch trailer, and dead runners."

Weak eyesight, but not blind. Who knows how weak.

Oh, I thought there would be a way to neutralize them by sneaking behind them. I kind of expect some patterns a la Hitman, which would suck because its not really a sneaking game. I was totally expecting the gun to be a last resort though.

You can totally neutralize them without the others noticing. The one that stands by himself with his back to you is easy to stealth neutralize. I didn't get to neutralize any others before hell broke loose :p

The_Monk

When I first saw the clickers in previews they weren't that intimidating/creepy,having now played the demo and having to deal with them personally,I can gladly say they are creepy as fuck.

This games atmosphere/vibe is fucking fantastic!!!

Andrew.

Banned
That's great fellow GAFfer but I'm in Europe, I wonder if there will be a deal like that in here. Local Stores I'm almost sure they won't have it so I could always order it from Amazon.uk since Shipping would be free to here. I've been keeping my Eye on the Pulse Headset but I still need to be sure they would work on the PS4.

The_Monk
Fellow GAFfer
Today, 4:45PM

On the TLoU wiki there was this:

"Runners have very weak eyesight, while clickers have no eyesight whatsoever, due to the fungus growing through their eye sockets. Clickers got their nickname through the clicking noise they make, since they use echolocation to "see". They may also have an enhanced sense of smell, because of how quickly they located the dead survivor in the launch trailer, and dead runners."

Weak eyesight, but not blind. Who knows how weak.
Yeah, the runners are not blind. They noticed me from a fair distance, but I didn't test if they would also notice the flash light too, because I had it turned off at that point.

IcyEyes

This game looks amazing ... in every aspect.

I can't believe this game run over a 7yo hardware ! Seven "awesome" years!
Yeah, yeah, PS3 have some dark sides, but it's the console I most enjoy.

Can't wait to play the full game :)

Nice game. Good atmosphere. Wasn't blown away by the graphics however. Maybe daytime looks better. Still they were nice but next gen is calling now. I found the last part quite hard... Or rather challenging is a better word. Because you don't have a lot of stuff at your disposal or have to search your surroundings well, which wasn't always the safest option either. You can't go in guns blazing either because it causes everyone to know of you and there isn't many bullets.

I couldn't work out how to reselect bottles in my inventory though which didn't help me.

It does have an Uncharted feel to it though it does play differently. I kept wondering why Nolan North isn't voicing the main character only to realise this isn't Nate. I liked exploring and finding stuff. No idea what most of it was but some stuff helped me mod a weapon and create a health kit. I liked finding and reading documents which gave you a sense of back story and the danger you were facing.

All in all looking forward to the full product. Didnt have any complaints really. Seems a solid game.

Holy hell, just listening on youtube with my headphones (badass ones) the audio is outstanding. Those low bass thuds and rumbles from the building are impressive

Gorillaz

Just finished

For a 15 min demo it did the job of capturing the tension. I agree with others about the infected. Shit seemed kind of weak/not really a problem in vids but dealing with them in person adds another layer of tension in of it self. Didn't die but that last segment I went guns out (got caught) and shit hit the fan quick

He is the only one to neutralize with stealth I think...

I stealthed the whole room throwing bottles and bricks around and then choking guys out when they walked to the noise, finished off the clicker with the 2x4.

edit:
The key is the room on the left down the hall behind you thats very dark, guys pass through there and you can choke them out.

It also gave me a good glimpse at the AI which is flawless, I tried to choke a guy out in there but he turned around at the last second so I sprinted into him and bashed his skull against the wall alerting EVERYONE. Luckily I got behind the desk and the whole pack moved through the room without seeing me, which is good because it would be cheap if the second you made a sound the horde zeroed in on your exact location.

Have you turned off 'Listen mode'? Because, if not, I'd argue you're still playing easy.

Really? I turned everything off on my hard run. No real problem, but they give you too much ammo and stuff in the demo. They'll probably be trickier in the actual game.

Also you just run off if they spot you and hide, they lose you pretty easily.

Cyberia

Ah thanks for that. I don't usually listen to their podcast. Do you happen to know if they go over any spoilers?

It's safe. He just talks about the opening (calling it the best opening he ever witnessed ), how poor the demo is in comparison with the full game, some little gameplay issues he has. But overall he was very, very impressed.

The segment is very short btw.

The_Monk

After all this awesomeness the only thing that I know I'm going to miss is the Steelbook case. I don't have that Edition available here since it's US exclusive, the Collector's Edition in Europe is not that great for me at least, so I might even go Digital.

But still, I would love if I could get just that empty Steelbook case to keep it. It's the only type of gaming items that I like to collect or keep it in my Collection because I love the clean minimalistic look of them.

Dr Dogg

Well might have taken 3 hours to finally dip my toes but well worth the wait. As stated the sound design in exquisite. Even on my tired Pioneer receiver you could pick out so much detail and the soundstage in very circular. Couldn't peek at the leaflets and such in the backpack as I want to go in as dark as possible but needed something to whet the appetite not to spoil the show by jumping into a thread or 5.

Also fair play to Sony for not gouging thier customers with day one digital prices. £39.99 it what it should be and not a UbiSoft like £59.99 (saying that got it preordered for £38 locally).

14th is going to be a fun day.

spannicus

After all this awesomeness the only thing that I know I'm going to miss is the Steelbook case. I don't have that Edition available here since it's US exclusive, the Collector's Edition in Europe is not that great for me at least, so I might even go Digital.

But still, I would love if I could get just that empty Steelbook case to keep it. It's the only type of gaming items that I like to collect or keep it in my Collection because I love the clean minimalistic look of them.
guy is on Ebay selling them says he has 3 left for 30 US.

Pretty sure the infected are blind, so they react to sound rather than light.

Runners are supposed to still have their eye sight

They are blind, you are correct.

Afaik runners not only can see, but they still have humans emotions. Those are the ones that see you and charge at you in numbers.

I got a hint when i was creeping up to a runner that they cant see or dont react to your flashlight.
That confusion. Lol.

Yeah, last I knew, the runners can see you which is why I specifically mentioned them in my complaint. I mean one aggro-ed me once he spotted me... I'll chalk it up to them being infected, but the experience of this game will be ruined if the humans don't react. But Silent Hill does it, why can't this.

ekim

From watching a video of the demo, this specific area looks very very linear. I hope the full game feels less staged.

Loudninja

Really? I turned everything off on my hard run. No real problem, but they give you too much ammo and stuff in the demo. They'll probably be trickier in the actual game.

Also you just run off if they spot you and hide, they lose you pretty easily.
Remember his is the beginning of the game and you only went against one clicker at a time.

Top Bottom