• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Demo (GoW:A Exclusive) Discussion Thread

Lucent

I just redbox'd GoW:A and there was nothing in the case sleeve when it popped out of the kiosk. The gaming God's don't want me to play this game..

It's through the disc. Gotta download an update and it should ave the option. I mean I didn't do this but...that's what people who did said. lol

Double H

Questions:

Why did they change the UI from the E3 2012 demo? I quite liked the Demon Souls styled health bar compared to the RE styled one. The UI for the crafting was also more striking, though I liked it... had more crafting options too, which I'm guessing will unlock as you get into the game. I guess they figured this Ascension demo UI was less intrusive?
I can't exactly remember what the UI was like back then, but I read it was just bootstrapping UC3's hooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbO7D9YkP-c&t=3m19s

In the most recent TLoU documentary episode they touch on the UI, emphasising the need to reduce and streamline the processes because they happen live, and the importance of not compromising the player's FOV.

I'd be surprised if it hadn't gone through a tonne of iteration.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Anyone know what the changes between difficulties affect? Aside from more damage taken, I'm hoping the A.I.'s a bit more brutal and the resources are severely limited.

From a bunch of replays, Hard gives you less ammo, crafting materials in general, and medkits. Enemies take more to go down, but didn't really seem any different otherwise. I would think human AI would vary more based on this, but who knows for now.

Anyone know what the changes between difficulties affect? Aside from more damage taken, I'm hoping the A.I.'s a bit more brutal and the resources are severely limited.

I'm not sure about the AI but they definitely limit the resources on the harder difficulties.

Shinjiru

I think Naughty Dog have another winner on their hands. I can't wait until June 14th!

The blood splatter in this game is something else. I did the trick that a gaffer mentioned earlier in this thread (restart checkpoint right after you defeat the final infected) and I decided to shoot some rounds at the infected on the ground. There is some pretty heavy blood splatter after every shot. And after you shoot them enough times the blood really starts flowing down their arms and stuff.

CronoShot

So I picked the demo up today at Walmart. Came in some God of War case, but whatever. I wasn't sure what to expect, not being a huge fan of the Uncharted series.

Really, really liked what I played. Although going through the building was a tad restrictive, from watching prior demos there should be some more open areas too.

And dat last room. I spent ages hiding behind a wall trying to figure out how to go about it, tried to stealth, failed miserably, and got my face ripped off.

So then I just decided to just shoot everything. Shot the clicker in the head, thinking it would die from a headshot. Noooope. So then things just got crazy, and I ended up running around in circles mashing square until I somehow won, topping it off with a brutal execution of slamming some guy's head into a concrete slab until it exploded.

It's nice to have a suspenseful game with enemies that actually feel like a threat rather than just a road block.

Anyway, really looking forward to this one.

Mr. Fix

From a bunch of replays, Hard gives you less ammo, crafting materials in general, and medkits. Enemies take more to go down, but didn't really seem any different otherwise. I would think human AI would vary more based on this, but who knows for now.

I'm not sure about the AI but they definitely limit the resources on the harder difficulties.

Not sure how I feel about enemies having more health (I'd rather we take more damage instead) but it's good to know resources are toned down. Thanks, guys.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not sure how I feel about enemies having more health (I'd rather we take more damage instead) but it's good to know resources are toned down. Thanks, guys.

Oh, you do take more damage too, but it didn't seem like a huge difference. It also only really seemed to effect body shots, melee attacks worked the same. So I guess a higher push towards headshots.

Downloading it now...holy crap it's less than 200MB!? How!?

It's a trap. There's a ~2gb download when you boot it.

bender

What time is it?
THe combat is what really surprised me. I was worried it would be overly cinematic and linear, but it is more open ended than I expected if that scenario is anything to go by. Really with Uncharted would have had similar combat instead of just throwing hundreds of respawning enemies at you Smash TV style. I think it would have fit that game as well.

I'm curious to see how the human encounters play out in The Last of Us. The change-of-pace enemies in Ucharted and Uncharted 2 were easily the worst parts of those games (throw in that horrible final boss battle in in U2 as well) so I was worried about the infected in The Last of Us.

After playing the demo a few times I'm not sure what to think. Structurally it reminds me a lot of the Uncharted series. The scale feels very similar and the demo gave us an exploration/platform section followed by a combat arena, though those elements feel more grounded as you aren't as agile and the combat is more impactful and varied.

My attempts as stealth went horribly wrong. The first time I beat that encounter was from a blown stealth attempted followed by my holding down the sprint button and doing laps around that room while dispatching the enemies one by one with the melee weapons littered throughout.

8byte

Banned
Oh, you do take more damage too, but it didn't seem like a huge difference. It also only really seemed to effect body shots, melee attacks worked the same. So I guess a higher push towards headshots.

It's a trap. There's a ~2gb download when you boot it.

It downloads the rest after you start up the first download. It's like 2.2 gigs.

Yo dawg...

:lol

I face palmed so hard. I initially was baffled by this Naughty Dog sorcery...I am foolish.

Ok can someone confirm/deny if the contrast (black levels) are poor in the demo? Especially inside and in darker areas, the darks are really light (no blacks ingame). It's the only game I've played where the darks aren't dark... I'm pretty sure it isn't my TV (have a plasma and the Menu/pause screen looks fine).

Loudninja

THe combat is what really surprised me. I was worried it would be overly cinematic and linear, but it is more open ended than I expected if that scenario is anything to go by. Really with Uncharted would have had similar combat instead of just throwing hundreds of respawning enemies at you Smash TV style. I think it would have fit that game as well.
It works well for Uncharted,I wont them to add the melee combat and the great ai but keep everything else the same.

I can't exactly remember what the UI was like back then, but I read it was just bootstrapping UC3's hooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbO7D9YkP-c&t=3m19s

In the most recent TLoU documentary episode they touch on the UI, emphasising the need to reduce and streamline the processes because they happen live, and the importance of not compromising the player's FOV.

I'd be surprised if it hadn't gone through a tonne of iteration.

Is the UI in that video the latest one because it looks different then what is in this demo.

Ok can someone confirm/deny if the contrast (black levels) are poor in the demo? Especially inside and in darker areas, the darks are really light (no blacks ingame). It's the only game I've played where the darks aren't dark... I'm pretty sure it isn't my TV (have a plasma and the Menu/pause screen looks fine).

I had this problem, but then I went into my TV settings and changed the HDMI black levels to low. It looks much better. You might need to adjust the brightness after.

nawwafh

loved the demo.. the atmosphere was brilliant and the graphics looked great as expected.. that final encounter was interesting.. went all guns blazing and didn't last long the first time..
went all stealth the 2nd time.. took out the runners one by one by isolating them and finally shiving the clicker which didnt kill him but meleed him with the pipe till he dropped..

the full game on the store will be 24 gigs if anyones wondering..

The most thing that I loved is the atmosphere and how you always have to be aware. It has nothing to do with Uncharted to be honest. This game has its own atmosphere and own everything.
12 more days and we will be playing this beauty.

The atmosphere reminded of The Postman and The Road. I'll definitely be getting this on day one. The game also looks incredible. It looks like this generation is finally going to get a good survival horror game.

Replicant

I had the same problem. Hopefully the final version will be different.

Double H

Is the UI in that video the latest one because it looks different then what is in this demo.
It's the same layout paradigm right, just a different skin? (I don't have the demo).

I'd hazard a guess the GOW demo is more recent. The documentary was probably finished a while ago to be ready for subtitling, rating, inclusion in the game master, etc., so its footage was likely from whatever builds were available at the time.

EDIT: There're some changes but I have no idea of their context.

Documentary:

Demo:

spannicus

I just showed my girl some gameplay on youtube, she was totally uninterested lol. Girls man, well not all of them hate when I play my games.

Satchel

Banned
Did you play the Jak series? All three were open world/open sandbox. I hope Naughty Dog ditch Uncharted, I am not a big fan of that series.

Loved Jak 1. Jak 2 and 3? Not so much.

Which is my qualm with Naughty Dog.

Crash 1? Awesome. 2 and 3? Not quite as good.

Jak 1? Amazing, one of my all time favourite 3D platformers. 2 and 3? A definite step down

Uncharted 1? Phenomenal. I sold 3 PS3s for Sony based on demoing that game to friends. 2 and 3? Really let me down. WAY too linear and too focused on set pieces and cut scenes.

The Last of Us? Based on the demo, it looks like ND will continue in their tradition of making a great first game in a new franchise. Given their track record for me, I hope they only stick to one this time and not jump the shark again.

Why wouldn't you want a sequel though? I mean, as long as it doesn't come with the same complaints you had for UC2 & 3.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed to be a franchise...I think the title will manage to do well enough @ retail and receive great reviews.

Yeah, if I knew it wouldn't have that same dip in quality that ND has shown over the journey with their sequels, then yeah, cool, make another.

But again, in my personal experience with their games, I always adore the first, and are usually meh on the follow ups.

Gartooth

Just finished the demo, and I already know that I will love the game. It was short, but at the same time it gave a taste of the game' s different mechanics.

Lucent

Anyone notice that when you fire off bullets Ellie will flinch but Tess won't react at all. And if you flash a light at Ellie she'll squint and look away for a few seconds and then act like the light isn't in her face. Nice touches for Ellie though obviously the light wasn't mean to be shone on her face for too long. lol. Still cool though.

NinjaBoiX

I'm going to give the demo another try today, I was thoroughly underwhelmed first time. It felt slow, unresponsive and a little clunky to be honest.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Hatten

This might make no sense to some here but TLoU reminds me a lot of Conker

That game was a technical marvel, it packed a lot of stuff for a N64 game, but there was no way around the aging hardware, you could still see how the game was too late on the console's lifecycle

Is the same with TLoU, it feels amazing and you can tell naughty dog put a huge amount of work on it, but the PS3 is 7 now, and the jaggies, the not-so-detailed textures and some lack of detail for the sake of performance is impossible not to see most of the time.

Sometimes I think it would be much better as a PS4 launch game, in fact I believe it would be the best launch title a console ever had.

NinjaBoiX

The game has more weight to every action compare to Uncharted.
Yeah, I got that they were trying to give Joel a bit more heft and whatnot, but it just translated into slightly syrupy controls to me. I do like the way he swings his torch around though, it reminded me a little of Alan Wake.

Alan Wake has one of the greatest TPS cameras in the business.

Loudninja

Yeah, I got that they were trying to give Joel a bit more heft and whatnot, but it just translated into slightly syrupy controls to me. I do like the way he swings his torch around though, it reminded me a little of Alan Wake.

Alan Wake has one of the greatest TPS cameras in the business.
To me everything feels great,but yeah it wont be the same for everyone, don't try and force youself to like something when you don't. :)

NinjaBoiX

To me everything feels great,but yeah it wont be the same for everyone, don't try and force youself to like something when you don't. :)
It's ND's latest man, I will enjoy it! I'm sure I just need to get used to it. It's only really the controls that felt a little off.

Plus, I only played the first half of the demo, my mate played the rest.

Loudninja

It's ND's latest man, I will enjoy it! I'm sure I just need to get used to it. It's only really the controls that felt a little off.

Plus, I only played the first half of the demo, my mate played the rest.
Hell yeah!

Btw what felt sluggish to you the melee or the shooting?

Demo was an interesting tease for me. Mechanics and story driven, seems like a good balance in a linear story romp with some small side paths to explore.

Sadly I was playing Max Payne 3 a day before I played the demo, so the Bullet responses weren't as satisfying as in Max Payne. However, melee is very convincing in TLoU. As far as the bullet reactions go, based off of the trailers and E3 playthroughs there seem to be very good reactions to explosions and bullets. So I'm confident ND will deliver on that.

Just no bob 'n weave AI please ;)

NinjaBoiX

Btw what felt sluggish to you the melee or the shooting?
Just the general movement and traversal, climbing and stuff. As I say, it seems like a design decision more than anything, Joel is a large middle aged man, not a young lithe adventurer, I just need to get used to it I guess. I trust those guys know what they're doing!

The shooting feels great, but I didn't use any melee in the section I played. I loved the melee in Uncharted though, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can't stop thinking about this game. It did feel sluggish at first but I got used to it and it felt appropriate for the game.

I'm going to try to get my dad to play the demo tomorrow.

I had the same problem. Hopefully the final version will be different.

I had this problem, but then I went into my TV settings and changed the HDMI black levels to low. It looks much better. You might need to adjust the brightness after.

Thanks for the response

When I turned my TV to the ugly Game Mode it was better, but the colors werent the best. But I think it's the game, I calibrated my TV very well and it looks great for everything. Hmmm, guess I'll have to wait and see!

Loudninja

Just the general movement and traversal, climbing and stuff. As I say, it seems like a design decision more than anything, Joel is a large middle aged man, not a young lithe adventurer, I just need to get used to it I guess. I trust those guys know what they're doing!

The shooting feels great, but I didn't use any melee in the section I played. I loved the melee in Uncharted though, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
Ok Now I understand, that is something you have to get use to you are right.

The combat in this game is so much better than Uncharted to me, everything flows smoother you can go from the pipe to hand to hand to running to gunning in a fantastic way.

I love how seamless the melee is, everything feels so organic, even the contextual animations don't feel scripted at all, everything just flows incredibly well.

Few more questions:

Do Runners/Clickers react to finding dead bodies of others?
Can you move dead human enemies?

Do you reckon there'll be any situations where you stumble upon a battle between humans and infected, with the AI working organically and leaving you to fight whichever faction is left standing?

Loudninja

Few more questions:

Do Runners/Clickers react to finding dead bodies of others?
Can you move dead human enemies?

Do you reckon there'll be any situations where you stumble upon a battle between humans and infected, with the AI working organically and leaving you to fight whichever faction is left standing?
Nope the infected has no emotions at all really.

No you cant move dead human enemies from what I seen so far.

MNC

So how difficult is this game? Please say that this game punishes you very hard if you just Rambo your way through.

Loudninja

So how difficult is this game? Please say that this game punishes you very hard if you just Rambo your way through.
You can try but it is not a good idea.

One shot alerts them all and they will all engage you at the same time even if you in the middle of a melee fight.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Top Bottom